PDA

View Full Version : Studio Sessions; Day 2

wizardmickey
03-22-2008, 11:30 PM
Well, things went pretty darn good, all things considering! (Uh oh...) Or as John Lennon might say; "Life is what happens while your busy making other plans!"
Danny (who owns/runs the studio) called about 1 pm; He was at his other job still because there had been an accident (he owns Buccaneer Trucks Supplies). His 15 year old nephew backed a forklift into his pickup truck, so he and some employees quickly did some patchwork repairs to get it back on the road, and then, because he had used that time to do that, he still had to haul a camper trailer out to Indian Creek Recreation Area where his family was camping for the weekend. He called his neighbor and buddy Jeff to get him to open up the studio for us and gave me directions on where to place our amps and stuff and told us just to jam until he gor there.
Chris (Lead Guitar) in the meantime had fallen off of his trailer at his house and pretty much disclocated his knee-cap (it was VERY swollen and pushed out to the side!) He was a bit doped up, but was there and ready to play.
Everyone was set up and in place by the time Danny arrived (about 3 pm) and by 6 pm we had everything mic'd up and were ready to actually start rolling. We did "scratch tracks" of guitars/vocals/bass while Stevie played drums. We knocked out "Breaking Away", "Take It On The Run" and "Hard Days Night", at which time Danny went thru them and checked for any errors on drums. While playing back, he found only 1 biggie that Stevie had to eventually do a punch-in for, but otherwise he had done all 3 songs in only 5 takes (meaning there were 2 screw-ups!)
During playback, he had Chad come into the control room to listen to his scratch bass line, and after some careful consideration decided most of it was good enough to leave as is. He had Chad plug back in and play along with the 3 songs and simply punched him in at the parts where some minor fixes needed to be made, and then the bass tracks were done.
By this time, Chris was worn out, and very bleary eyed from the pain meds he had taken for his knee, so we sent him home. It was then my turn to go, so I layed down first my clean rhythm tracks for "Breaking Away", followed by my distorted part & solo. I next tried to do my rhythm parts for the REO song, and had them finished, but during playback Danny & I noticed that either the bass was out of tune or my guitar was tuned differently; It was more likely me, so for the time being we scrapped my rhythm tracks and planned to come back to it next time. Next I was off to the Isolation Booth to record 12 String acoustic tracks for "Breaking Away" and the Beatles tune. Once that was done. I put down my lead vocals for "Breaking Away" and my Middle 8/Bridge vocals on "Hard Days Night". By now, we were wiped out, so we put it all up for the night and made plans to return April 4th & 5th to finish Chris's guitar parts, the rest of the vocal parts, and have Stevie begin tracking some more drums for the next batch of songs.
I sat and listened to the playbacks of what we have so far, and even in pieces it was pretty amazing! Can't wait to get back in there and finish these 3 songs and fire off the next volley!
BTW: We had both a digital camera and the video camera rolling off and on, so there are some... "interesting" moments captured on film! Should make for fun watching when the project is all said and done!

wizardmickey
03-23-2008, 02:21 AM
PICTURES!!!!!!
http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z221/flyingicemanvx/RELIX-2/THE%20HOLE/

- I checked the link; it DOES work... just scroll down a ways and you'll see the pictures -

chrisb26
03-23-2008, 10:54 PM
Cool pictures Ice I like that Swamp Pixy hand what ever that is lol

Patricia
03-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Ah! Was there a swamp pixie hurt during the making of this CD?!?

Sounds like a lot of work, I can't wait to hear the results.

RicksCafe
03-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Ah! Was there a swamp pixie hurt during the making of this CD?!?As a charter member of the SPCSP*, I'm going to lodge a formal complaint to ASCAP† right away. Actually, since Patti has brought media attention to this horrible tragedy and since the actual swamp origin of this poor pixie is unknown, I'm notifying SOCAN‡ as well. Don't mess with Canadian pixies!

Ricks (who is such a tattle-tale)

*Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Swamp Pixies
†American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers
‡Society of Composers, Authors, and Music Publishers of Canada

mickeytinkerbellprincess
03-24-2008, 04:31 PM
:funny: :rotfl: :haha:

wizardmickey
03-24-2008, 06:08 PM
Let me go on record by emphatically stating that;
1)Niether I nor any members of the band RELIX were involved in any way shape or form in the harming, maiming or dismemberment of any Swamp Pixies.
2)That, to the best of my knowledge, there actually is no such thing as an actual Swamp Pixie, as it is actually small bits of bamboo with Spanish moss judiciously wrapped about it to keep the "fingers" in place.
3)Swamp Pixies are a Voodoo inspired bit of folklore, used primarrily to milk unsuspecting tourists out of a few bucks in exchange for this "rare" good luck charm.
Thats my story and I'm sticking to it!

RicksCafe
03-25-2008, 12:32 AM
...to the best of my knowledge, there actually is no such thing as an actual Swamp Pixie,...That's what they said about Bigfoot.

Swamp Pixies are a Voodoo inspired bit of folklore, used primarrily to milk unsuspecting tourists out of a few bucks in exchange for this "rare" good luck charm.As a charmed purchaser of several very rare Swamp Pixies, I can assure Intercotees that this man has no idea what he's talking about.

Ricks (who is a very suspicious tourist... I mean, suspecting!)

wizardmickey
03-25-2008, 08:27 AM
(Ice see's an immediate need and is overcome with the desire to run out into his backyard and begin stripping young bamboo branches to create a surplus of extremely rare snd collectable Swamp Pixie bones so that he can strike it rich selling them to Ricks)
:) $$$$ :)

terri.m
03-26-2008, 11:57 AM
:funny: silly boys...

great pics ice! Can't wait to add another cd to my collection!

milklady
03-27-2008, 08:42 AM
Yay i can see the pictures!! It seems like you guys need a lot of protection where you are at( the hat and *** protection) Cant wait to hear the CD

wizardmickey
03-30-2008, 12:16 AM
milklady; It seems like you guys need a lot of protection where you are at
Protection from what? Rabid fans or ourselves?

...during playback Danny & I noticed that either the bass was out of tune or my guitar was tuned differently; It was more likely me, so for the time being we scrapped my rhythm tracks...
And NOW I know why my guitar kept slipping out of tune during the tracking of "Take It On The Run"! Ya see, my dear old Flying V; I've had it in my possesion for 28 years, and nobody knows for certain how old it was before I bought it. Until last year when I started replacing some of the original parts on it (tail piece, bridge, pick guard) it till had all of it's old hardware on it. Well, after all these years of wear and tear, the tuners have finally worn out and the other night I kept losing tuning every other song! So, I got lucky today 'cuz the guy who tech's my guitar normally isn't in the shop on Saturday's, but I took it there to drop it off and he was in fixing a cello. So, by Monday/Tuesday I will have all new locking Grover tuners and be ready to hit the studio for Session Number 3!!

Patricia
03-30-2008, 12:04 PM
Yay! You saved the Flying V!

That will make session 3 easier.

wizardmickey
03-30-2008, 02:27 PM
Patricia;
Yay! You saved the Flying V!

That will make session 3 easier.
:dance::dance::rocker::dance::dance:
Y'know, if I wasn't such a stubborn ol' cuss, my life would be a whole lot simpler if I just used one of my other guitars! Even Chris keeps pushing me to use my semi-hollow bodied Artcore... but, there is such an emotional attachment to the V, not to mention a superior tonal quality!!!
Unfortunately, in order to gaurantee prolonged superior playability, I had to go with the most expensive locking tuners in the shop (although I will recieve a discount due to my regular patronage & they will waive installation fee's!)
Still... :spend::spend::spend: