PDA

View Full Version : A "Yay!" and a "Boo!"

Carolanne
03-22-2008, 04:46 PM
Update 3/28: Lunch at Le Cellier is a no-go. I've been trying for a few days, but it doesn't seem like LC is meant to be on this trip. I talked to a CM on the dining line, explained that I was really hoping to get into Le Cellier for our anniversary and asked for recommendations. The CM recommended The Yachtsman, so we're going to give that a shot. In the meantime, I'll try to get into LC when I have the time to call the dining line, even if it's for a lunch--I love their mashed potatoes! I think The Yachtsman might be a nice change, though.

The "Yay!": 3/24 is our first wedding anniversary. DH & I got to talking about gifts; I told him we didn't have to do gifts this year, as we just bought our first home not that long ago. We talked some more,we both think that the traditional gift for a first anniversary is paper, so I suggested using annivesary cards as a traditional "paper" gift. DH moped a littled, said he really wanted to give me something special, but seemed ok with our "paper" gifts. Thursday afternoon he said he wanted to give me my anniversary card early; I opened the card & it contained...a WDW trip confirmation. I was stunned! He said, "This falls along the traditional gift guidelines, right? It is paper." So, DH & I are celebrating our first anniversary in WDW in May--YAY:cloud9:!

Now for the "Boo!": So, the day he gave me the confirmation marked 45 days until our trip (5/4 to 5/7, Pop Century, w/dining plan and free park hopper/water parks & more ugrade). I knew that I had to get cracking on our ADR's. Our "must go to" restaurant is Le Cellier; seriously, I did not expect to get an ADR for Le Cellier at the 45-day mark, but we are talking about Disney and Disney magic here, so I had to try anyway. I called WDW Dining the day after DH gave me our gift and got a CM who sounded, shall we say, like she forgot to stir a little pixie dust into her morning coffee. I explained that my DH just booked a trip the day before and I wanted to make a few ADR's; told the CM that I really didn't expect this request to be possible this late in the game, then asked if there were any dinner seatings available at Le Cellier for 5/4; I heard her tapping away on her keyboard; the CM said, "Nope. Nothing available. You have to call 180 days ahead for that one." I said "Oh, I know. Like I said, my DH just booked this trip yesterday, I really didn't expect to get a seating this late, I just had to ask though. I still doubt you have anything, but is anything available for dinner there on 5/5 or 5/6?" I swear I felt her eyeroll. Anyway, "Nope. Nothing available. Like I said, you really need to call 180 days out for that one." Alrighty.

I really prefer sit-down meals for dinner instead of lunch, but I might call again to see if I can score a late lunch at Le Cellier; I'll be in WDW in October with my mom & she LOVES Le Cellier, so I'll be sure to get right on our ADR's in April. In the meantime, I booked dinners at The Turf Club Bar & Grill at Saratoga Springs (yum. I've eaten there with my mom on our last two trips; DH has never been), The Sci-Fi Dine In (my last few meals there were pretty good, and who doesn't like to sit in a classic car & eat? So what if my DH will be doing his Vincent Vega impression? I can deal with it...it can't be as embarrassing as the "Gotta Dance" schtick he does while we're waiting for TGMR), and The Kona Cafe (another yum. My mom & I always eat a meal there whenever we're in WDW. DH has never eaten here.)

Squee! May 4th can't get here soon enough:mickey:!

DisneyorBust
03-22-2008, 06:18 PM
What a great anniversary surprise!
Good luck with the ADR's, I have made calls significntly past the 180 day mark and have had some luck. Call as often as you can, the Disney Magic will work for you!

RedSoxFan
03-22-2008, 06:32 PM
What a nice anniversary present!! Have a great time!!:mickey:

Piglet822
03-22-2008, 06:53 PM
What a great surprise!!!!!!!

I suggest calling back - maybe there's some more Disney magic out there :fingers:

Hull-onian
03-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Congrats on your anniversary!!! It's all good.:thumbsup:

Carolanne
03-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Aw, thanks guys :mickey: I'm going to keep plugging away. No matter where we're eating, I'm really lucky to have received such a wonderful gift.

Camping Mom
03-22-2008, 10:13 PM
Good for Disney...bad for us! I love that business is good, but sad that business is SO busy that you have to call so far in advance for a lunch or dinner and for spontaneous trips you may be in deep water.

We like to stay at Ft. Wilderness but if we don't make a reservation a year ahead of time we honestly can't get over a 3 night site for our trailer. The reservation has to be 2 nights here and then move sites and then 3 here...like I said...great for business, but hurts spontaneous trips.

Hope you get all the meals you want lined up and have a fabulous time!!

pink
03-22-2008, 11:09 PM
That was such a beautiful anniversary gift, you are very lucky!:mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-22-2008, 11:19 PM
Your husband sounds like a keeper for sure! What a nice guy. I'd keep calling back to see if something opens up for Le Cellier. It might happen. Have a great trip no matter where you eat.

BluewaterBrad
03-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Thats the best gift I can think of!:mickey:

cal5755
03-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Awesome anniversary gift.. lucky you!! I would call back and try again for Le Cellier... with only 2 there may be a cancellation. Best of luck... I just booked our adr's recently and had to change our LeCellier day. Of course I am booking for 12 lol...

Have a Magical Vacation!!

Tick-Tock
03-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Keep calling.

I cancelled a LC ADR just a couple of days before our last visit. It made me feel good to think that someone would get an unexpected chance to go (and the CM was amazed that I was cancelling since LC is so popular).