PDA

View Full Version : Rate & Review the California Grill

Jeff G
03-22-2008, 01:24 PM
This week I'll be doing two more polls.

This poll is to see what everyone who has tried California Grill thinks of it. Please feel free to leave feedback as well.

The options & points awarded are:
4 - Excellent - A don't miss.
3 - Very Good
2 - Average
1 - Poor - Don't waste your time with it.

Past poll averages thus far are as follows (I'm inculding the results of the Coral Reef that was started by Disney Yankee):

Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue - 3.62
Le Cellier - 3.43
Liberty Tree Tavern - 3.10
Coral Reef - 2.76
Spirit of Aloha Polynesian Luau - 2.39

Thanks!

Natazu
03-22-2008, 02:38 PM
Here's the text of a review from California Grill last year. It's not coming up on ICOT searches anymore so I can't link to it. This is the word doc I used to write the review. It may be a little rough but it is complete.

Sunday night (CG visit number four this trip), we went as a party of six and because of several celebrations occurring simultaneously, we went all out. (Side note: while California Grill doesn’t offer “wine flights”, if you’re ordering off the reserve menu, the bar staff will be happy to help you pair your wine choices with your food.)

The Celebrations: For Rachel and me, this trip marks our 6th anniversary and our friends Shane and Dana’s 2nd. Also, we came together to celebrate our friends Craig & Joelle's engagement and Craig's recent move to the role of Gaston at Disney Studios’ Beauty and the Beast.

The New Culinary Master: In case you haven’t heard, California Grill has a new chef. John has left the company for a nice little place in Grand Rapids, MI (He will be back for CG’s F&WF Signature Dinner on Nov 5th - currently sold out). Chef Jens Dahlmann, previously of Flying Fish, is now at the helm of the 15th floor gourmet kitchen and has brought with him a few of his own distinct recipes. There is a Tilefish with Fennel-Red Pepper Compote, Atlantic Salmon with Celeriac Puree and Sherry Vinegar Jus, & for the vegetarian palette, Potato Gnocchi with Fresh Truffles, Wild Forest Mushrooms, Butternut Squash, and Parmigiano Reggiano. So, those of you looking for great salmon, there’s someplace to go other than Artist Point. And even better news for CG fans; nothing has been removed from CG’s menu. Only a couple of adjustments: for instance, the four-cheese flatbread is now three cheeses and has caramelized onions. But, you can still get Pork Tenderloin, Free Range Chicken, and the world’s best Filet Mignon.

The Food:
We did a lot of ordering and a lot of sharing. We asked our server, Lisa, to just drop the appetizers, flatbreads, and sushi on the center of the table so we could all have the first three courses family style. You know, like ‘Ohana, except 50 times more expensive (actually, 43 times more expensive. Don’t try this at home).

Sushi:
Yoshie’s Deluxe Sushi SamplerSnake in the GrassYellowfin Tuna Three WaysFlatbread:“BLT” Flatbread with Neuske’s Bacon, Heirloom Tomatoes, and Lemon MayonnaiseBlack Mission Fig with Serrano Ham, Gorgonzola, Arugula, and 1000 Flower HoneyTriple Cheese with Caramelized Onions, Sun-dried Tomatoes, and Basil Pesto

Cheese Course (2 plates):
Bandage Wrapped CheddarJuliana Goat CheeseBergblumeValencay PyramidsBleu de Gex

First Course:
Sonoma Goat Cheese Ravioli (one per couple)Warm “Bermuda Triangle” Goat Cheese with Salad of Wax Beans, Watercress, Fisée, and Sherry Vinaigrette.

Entrée’s:
5 Filet Mignon with Boniato Mashed Potatoes, Blue Lake Beans, and Teriyaki BBQ Glaze
1 Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Creamy Goat Cheese Polenta, Cremini Mushrooms, Zinfandel Glaze, & Sage

Desserts:
3 Banana and Butterscotch Buzz
3 Warm Valrhona Chocolate Cake with Molten Center, Raspberry Ice Cream, and Raspberry Sauce

Wines:
Appetizer: Selbach-Oster Bernkasteler Badstübe Spatlëse, Mosel
Entrée: Silverado Limited Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
Dessert: Michele Chiarlo Moscato D’ Asti Nivole – Piedmont
Post-dessert Celebration Toast: Tattinger Comtes De Champagne Rose, Reims

The Food Review:
All the sushi was beautifully prepared. Yoshi and Ochi were creating art behind their little counter. The batter on the tempura shrimp was amazingly light. You’d never know it was fried. The sampler was plentiful and those who tried it marveled at its beauty and simplicity. Be careful for the wasabi, though. It has a little bite.

Each flatbread is brilliant in its own right. The simple three-cheese pesto nicely contrasts the seemingly simple BLT flatbread. We love to get them together. And if you ever see Neuske’s Bacon for sale, buy it, no matter what it costs. The new Fig flatbread is different than those that have come before. The flavors intermingle with pleasant aromas. The consistency of the figs themselves may be better a little more firm.

The cheeses were all good for what they were. The Juliana was my favorite as it was for most of the table. Rachel even ate the rind. That’s pretty rare. The Valencay is really good with bread and a dry wine. The Cheddar was nothing special, good if you like sharp, tang cheese. Bergblume cheese is fairly mild for the amount of herbs in it. It’s well balanced; most everyone liked it. The Bleu de Gex is made by injecting the cheese with bacteria. They say it’s from plant spores but it tastes like it’s from moldy old socks.

The ravioli was perfectly cooked and the compote was bursting with flavor. It’s almost as good as a dip for bread as in its intended purpose. This dish never disappoints. I didn’t get to try the Goat Cheese Salad but it went so quickly, I have to assume it was very good.

I can’t say enough about the California Grill filet mignon. Each of the five filets arrived exactly as ordered. The new jus, teriyaki instead of tamarind, is a little sweet and goes much better with the potatoes than the steak. Then again, the steak doesn’t need any help. The filet is what has brought me back four times this trip. The only thing I could leave alone at CG is the green beans. I like ‘em a little less crisp and a little more flavorful.

The Pork Tenderloin was fork-tender and thoroughly enjoyed by its recipient.

The Banana and Butterscotch Buzz showed up on the CG menu about a year ago. We were forced to try it by the CG management staff and labored through it. I have labored through it several times since then and it never fails to amaze me.

Speaking of amazing, Raspberries, Chocolate, and Raspberries, my favorite incarnation of the Warm Valhrona Chocolate Cake, was my sugar of choice at this meal’s end. I need to start ordering this first, before I get full.

Wine Reviews:
Our early meal wine, the Selbach, was fruity with peach and apricot on the nose with prevalent fruit throughout the finish. I’m not a late harvest fan but this one has less residual sugar than the usual Riesling and definitely less than any other late harvest wine I’ve tried.

Next came my favorite, Silverado’s Limited Reserve Cab. Black cherry and currant aroma, full body, and medium oaky finish. This is the perfect wine to serve with the perfect filet. Pay no attention to CG’s $175 price tag; you can get it at home for $75 or less. A quick note on Silverado: this winery is owned by Walt’s daughter, Diane and her husband Ron. Silverado is slowly making the change to an estate vineyard. So, if you see Miller Estate on a label, it’s these guys.

The Moscato “Nivole” was interesting. Rachel liked it but most of us thought it was too sweet. Michele Chiarlo has some wonderful wines. I just don’t think this is one of them.

Last but certainly not least, Tattinger’s Comtes De Champagne Rose 1999. This is a Grand Cru from Reims, France. Made solely from Pinot Noir grapes, its sweet, red berry fragrance is offset by very subtle notes of earth and minerals. Clean, vibrant red fruit flavors are confirmed on the generous palate balanced by a crisp, refined acidity which carries into an elegant, complex finish of considerable persistence. I give it the highest marks but for the price, I’d rather get a bottle Rosa Regale and spend the extra money on a couple of nights at the Contemporary.

dmosher
03-22-2008, 04:41 PM
simply put...
Best Dessert Ever!

:pipes:
D

offwego
03-22-2008, 05:38 PM
We've been three times under three different circumstances.

1st visit. (DS was I think 8 or 9 and we were there to "try it" under the silver dining plan they used to have) No particular occasion..DS however was choosen to start the fireworks which was amazing fun. I know I had sushi & a fish entree, DS had a childs chicken breast and a warm choc. cake, DH had the goat cheese ravoli and the filet and a creme brulee if memory serves. This predated the check in in the lobby and service was good, once the fireworks finished it did clear out quite a bit & I do recall most were dressed for the place. (wine by the glass at that time was anything you wanted divide bottle price by four to get at a per glass price)

Visit 2 DS would have been 10 first trip on the dining plan in its pre 2008 version and we were seated in the wine room section (overlooking Epcot). Wonderful server! Tried the sushi again, DS had the goat cheese rav. (minus the mushrooms) and DH had the fois gras. For mains I had shortribs, DS had the halibut & DH had the pork tenderloin. DS again had the warm choc. cake (this time it had a PB & J sauce), DH & I had the cheese plate (with port and Tokai) and a poached pear dessert as well.

Visit 3 A birthday bash for myself and my nephew (we share a birthday and were there on the day) along with Mom, DH, DS, DB & DSIL so a big table! On the dining plan again (at this point we did see the dress code slipping but appreciated the new check in podium procedures crowd reduction). Shared flat breads for the table, multiple sushi's and other apps. Mains inlcuded the scallops, fillets, lamb, and the pork tenderlion. Lovely wines, champagne and much fun! Desserts had cake, the cheese course, and the banana buzz if I'm not mistaken. A truly amazing night with our table decorated, pictures taken & the house buying the bottle of champagne! Can't say enough how great this is for a special night!:mickey:

LandFan
03-22-2008, 08:48 PM
Ok, so I am the dissenter here :D I really didn't like the Cali Grill at all. My goat cheese ravioli was room temperature and not flavored enough, our flatbread was too salty and among other things our waiter wasn't very attentive. Overall, it was just medium to poor in our opinion. We watched the fireworks from the walk, which was nice, but we probably won't do this one again. Just not enough "Disney" ambiance in the restaurant to overcome the so-so food and service.

Sorry:blush:

GrmGrninGost
03-23-2008, 12:20 AM
Cali Grill is as good as it gets! :mickey:

Mickey91
03-24-2008, 12:23 AM
We have eaten here twice and enjoyed it. There is a slim selection of food that I will actually eat though.

Crow
03-24-2008, 10:32 PM
this recent trip i went for what was my 3rd time. Unfortunately I was too full from lunch yet, but I did have flatbread & sushi that was great.
Its at the top of my list

thejens
03-24-2008, 11:37 PM
MMMMMM...I dream of this restaurant.

sillyolbear
03-25-2008, 09:10 AM
Definitely one of the best on property. Great food, great service, and great view.

mudpuppysmom
03-26-2008, 10:33 AM
I think that if you can at all swing a visit to CG you should give it a whirl. We did so in January and even though I could not eat meat (due to pregnancy problems -- the kid does not like meat right now!) I still managed to fill myself up!

DH started to try sushi on this last trip and earlier that day he had some at Sunshine Seasons.....it was "not bad" he said and when he tried it at CG again I heard a "not bad, but look out for that wasabi!"......he REALLY needs to be impressed to give something a "hey, that's good!" so hopefully that doesn't shy anyone away from trying this place out!

I had read about the goat cheese ravioli and THOUGHT that it might be served as a couple -- so I was surprised when one arrived on my plate (and there was no salad -- is that extra Jym?). I am happy to report though that that one ravioli was SO GOOD!!! I could have eaten four more and called it a day!

We also had the cheese flatbread which we seem to love if we get it at Jiko (different choices though) -- but alas, we like "pizza" so we really enjoy the flatbread choices that we have tried.

DH did have several glasses of wine suggested by our server/sommielier (his name excapes me though), and he was quite knowledgeable as you would expect from his position. DH was not at all disappointed with any of the choices and he actually tried several!!

For dinner I had a salad (apples, walnuts and blue cheese) and DH had the pork tenderloin which DS enjoyed chicken -- which when DS's chicken dish came I thought ("Oh geeze, he's never going to get enough!! -- the chicken was a small breast with about four or five green beans and a few pieces of roasted potatoes -- it was the PERFECT portion for a child of 5 years old let me tell you!! He ate it all and had his dessert and was full!)

For dessert I had a bowl of strawberries as DS#2 had requested in utero and they were tasty (but I will say that Crystal Palace had better ones the day before --sorry!) DS had a piece of chocolate cake from a table behind us that were celebrating a daughters birthday (thank you very much for sharing!! At first DS said "no thank you" but the dad insisted and slapped a piece on a plate and placed it in front of him and said - enjoy this with us please -- turns out they were from PA also). I can't remember what DH had -- I think some honeycruch cake?? but whatever he had it was "really good" he proclaimed.

Would we go back -- in a heartbeat and we'd take the kiddo again too!! We enjoyed our window seat and fireworks after our meal. The meal was paced just right and we never at all felt rushed. Service was just about the best we have ever had (only one other place did we have equal service at Narcoossees). We seem to like the signature places better than regular TS places for the finer touches that seem to be present.

So, again, if you can at all swing it, please give CG a try!! You won't be disappointed!

SurferStitch
03-26-2008, 12:18 PM
Reasons we love the Cali Grill...

1. Flatbreads - I especially love when they have a mushroom flatbread on the menu. Their BBQ chicken is also amazing.

2. Goat cheese ravioli - I get this almost every time we visit. Nice, strong cheese compliments the light tomato broth.

3. Filet - I miss the tamarind sauce, but their new sauce is also delicious

4. Scallops - :cloud9:

5. Dessert - Never met one I didn't love!

6. Excellent service

Natazu
03-26-2008, 07:33 PM
I had read about the goat cheese ravioli and THOUGHT that it might be served as a couple -- so I was surprised when one arrived on my plate (and there was no salad -- is that extra Jym?). I am happy to report though that that one ravioli was SO GOOD!!! I could have eaten four more and called it a day!

The ravioli is just an appetizer. You only get one 4oz serving. The funny thing is, the recipe minimum is 36 ravioli worth of filling so it seems like they'd offer an entree version but it still wouldn't come with a salad. They don't really include salads with anything.