PDA

View Full Version : Which Rides for DD7?

disnyfan4ever
03-22-2008, 01:02 AM
I need your help. I don't want to ruin our trip to WDW in June by scaring our DD7. She rode Thunder Mountain at Disneyland in Nov 07. She likes the speed and twists of Thunder Mountain but she is leary of anything faster or with big drops.

We are are trying to decide if we should attempt Expedition Everest, Test Track, and Space Mountain. What are your experiences?

Also, she was scared to death on Indiana Jones at Disneyland. Too bumpy and jerky. What about Dinosaur? From what I've read about it, I can't tell if we should attempt it or stay away.

Thanks in advance for helping us make some decisions. This trip is as much for me as it is for her but I want to make sure she enjoys it as much as my DH and I.

71 very long days and counting!

bruin1344
03-22-2008, 07:06 AM
I need your help. I don't want to ruin our trip to WDW in June by scaring our DD7. She rode Thunder Mountain at Disneyland in Nov 07. She likes the speed and twists of Thunder Mountain but she is leary of anything faster or with big drops.

We are are trying to decide if we should attempt Expedition Everest, Test Track, and Space Mountain. What are your experiences?

Also, she was scared to death on Indiana Jones at Disneyland. Too bumpy and jerky. What about Dinosaur? From what I've read about it, I can't tell if we should attempt it or stay away.

Thanks in advance for helping us make some decisions. This trip is as much for me as it is for her but I want to make sure she enjoys it as much as my DH and I.

71 very long days and counting!

Expedition Everest and Space Mountain are all faster than Thunder Mountain. Dinosaur and Test Track are not roller-coaster rides so they are slower but are more bumpy and jerky. Does she get nauseous on these types of rides? If she is afraid but motion sickness isnt an issue, I was in the same shoes at that age but I got over it once I rode the rides and found out how fun it was. Mission Space and Body Wars are the only ones that make want to :sick: once in awhile.

PhilHarHarMagic
03-22-2008, 09:06 AM
Welcome to Intercot! :welcome:

Dinosaurs is pretty much like Indy, and from a 7 year-old's perspective, is pretty intense.

EE doesn't really have big drops, but the effect you get when going backwards is akin to a twisting effect (although you don't go upside down).

Test Track shouldn't be a problem - there are some bumps and some weaving through traffic cones, but nothing like what you get on Indy.

My DD loved Space Mountain at that age, but wouldn't ride some of the other things like you mentioned. She's 12 now and will ride just about anything at WDW (except Dinosaurs).

laward32
03-22-2008, 09:17 AM
My 6 & 7 year old loved BTMRR also. My 7 year old was tall enough to ride Space Mt and loved it. We rode it 4 times. My 6 yr old wasn't tall enough, but I think she would have loved it too. Dinosaur is really bumpy and kind of scary. My 7 yr old wanted to ride EE but the line was too long and we just never got around to it, so I am not real sure on that one. TT is fun. It puts you through all the test they do on cars. There is one bumpy spot, but its not too bad.
Hope this helps.:mickey:

IloveDisney71
03-22-2008, 09:26 AM
I agree that SM is a bit more intense than BTMR but I think it is mainly due to the fact that you can't really see what's coming up. You might want to take a ride on the Tomorrowland Transit Authority (or People Mover as I still call it) because it takes you thru SM briefly. That might help her decide if she'd like to ride it.
Dinosaur is really dark, bumpy, and scary at some parts. One of my DD's rode it when she was 9 (or so) and my other DD rode it when she was 8 (or so). My oldest LOVED it and my youngest HATED it and will not ride it to this day and she's now 17! She's very creative and sensitive to things like this and my oldest is a daredevil who will ride anything.
You might try that website where you can watch all sorts of videos posted by people. I can't tell you what it is here but if you don't know which one I'm talking about, you can PM me. :)They might have some videos of these rides.
I applaud you for taking your child's feelings into account. I was at WDW in Feb. and this family was making a crying child ride SM when she obviously was scared to death. I don't know why they didn't do a child swap or something. It was really sad.

GrmGrninGost
03-22-2008, 10:53 AM
Each ride is much different than the others. Space Mtn. is a little slower than BTMRR, but being in the dark, it seems faster than it is. It tops out at about 28 MPH. There are no really large drops, but a lot of really quick drops and curves you can't see coming.
EE is pretty intense. It's a lot faster than BTMRR and it goes backward for a lot of the ride. Also, at one point you go backward and through a curve and it almost feels like an inversion. Very cool! But maybe too much for your DD.
Dinosaur is the roughest, jerkiest ride at WDW. It can also be a bit intense as the dinosaur looks like he's going to get you at one point.
Test Track is the fastest ride on property. It tops out at 65 MPH. But, it is like riding in an automobile on a race track at this point. I think your DD would probably be alright with this one!
Anyway, children are so different! Different things affect them in different ways. She may hate them all, or she may love them all! Good luck and have a great time! :mickey:

scootch713
03-23-2008, 03:22 PM
My daughter who just turned 8 at our last trip does not even ride thunder mountain.... I wouldn't even attempt the others. Maybe let her watch them on the travel channel and decide. I definitely would not push her.

Buttercup
03-23-2008, 07:24 PM
Yeah another vote for watching the rides beforehand. Just type in the name of the ride on Youtube and you'll be able to watch it... or at least *hear* it... sometimes people's home videos are pretty dark and you can't see everything.