PDA

View Full Version : Le Chapeau Debuts “Create-Your-Own Ear Hat” program

Figment!
03-21-2008, 03:38 PM
Part of a recent Tidbits (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=128382) update down in the News forum:

Mixable Mouse Ears

3/21/08 The Le Chapeau store has re-opened from a moderate refurbishment offering a brand new program. The Magic Kingdom retail location now features stations for a “Create-Your-Own Ear Hat” program. The new program allows Guest to choose from a wide variety of hat bases, ears and patches to create their own customized “Mickey Ears”. A hat base and pair of ears is priced at $10.95, decorative patches are priced at $2.95 each and a package of letter patches is priced at $5.95 per pack. Computerized embroidery is available at an additional fee in gold, yellow and pink stitching. The hat bases are available in a wide array of colors including black, green, blue, gold, pink, lavender, white, gray and rainbow. Many styles of ears and decorative patches are available.

Jasper
03-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Am I mistaken but didn't they offer something like this before? Could this truly be a new product offering or is it just an improvement on what they have already been doing?

CaptainJessicaSparrow
03-22-2008, 04:07 AM
I'm not sure if it's improved but you can pick each ear out and the hat itself plus any monograming.

There are some creative Guests that have had some amazing ones in the last couple of days.

kakn7294
03-22-2008, 10:33 AM
I can't wait to check this out! I wanted Mickey ears last trip but couldn't find anything I liked other than the standard old black ones and they weren't what I really wanted (those would be the YOAMD ones ;)). Hopefully, I can create something I really want now. I like the sounds of some of those colors for the hat bases - maybe the green will be lime green and I can match my Jeep! :D

brewcrew26
03-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Does anyone have any pictures of a finished hat or maybe what the refurbished shop looks like?

This sounds so cool!! I'm so into pink right now but it seems like you can showcase your personality more this way.

MMouse6937
03-22-2008, 08:05 PM
I'm excited to try this too. I am a little disappointed that there will be no more hand stitching of your name, but being able to be creative with your hat will be fun! :thumbsup:

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-22-2008, 08:25 PM
This sounds really neat...something tells me that DD will have us taking a visit on our next trip! :mickey:

Figment!
03-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Could this truly be a new product offering or is it just an improvement on what they have already been doing?Guests have not before had the opportunity to choose an Ear Hat Base, Left Ear, Right Ear and have the hat assembled for them--this is a brand new offering.

Recently Guests have been given the opportunity to build Pirate Hats and Princess Crowns at the World of Disney, but this is the first opportunity for a wide array of customization to Mouse Ears.

Bringonthemouse!
03-23-2008, 11:15 AM
My DD16's eyes lit up at the thought of "building" her own ears. I guess it's safe to say we will be hitting Le Chapeau during our next visit in Nov. What a fabulous idea! I can't wait to see some of the combinations guests are putting together!
:mickey:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
03-23-2008, 01:32 PM
I'm curious to go see what the selection for them looks like.

But I will say....I've seen a significant decrease in the number of personalized hats. Like, the majority of ear hats don't seem to have them on it from what I saw yesterday. I'll be watching for them because when we had them in the store, we had about every 4 in 5 get the names on it but I saw about 1 in 5 who had it from the store.

auntfrannie
03-26-2008, 08:54 PM
But I will say....I've seen a significant decrease in the number of personalized hats. Like, the majority of ear hats don't seem to have them on it from what I saw yesterday. I'll be watching for them because when we had them in the store, we had about every 4 in 5 get the names on it but I saw about 1 in 5 who had it from the store.

Was the monogramming done for free before? Is that why there's a decrease in the number of personalized ears you're seeing? I've never been interested in getting mouse ears before because I didn't care for the colors available. But with the custom designing I'm might have to check it out!

CaptainJessicaSparrow
03-27-2008, 02:48 AM
Was the monogramming done for free before? Is that why there's a decrease in the number of personalized ears you're seeing? I've never been interested in getting mouse ears before because I didn't care for the colors available. But with the custom designing I'm might have to check it out!

Monograming has been $3 for a while now, but I think it has a lot to do with how the monograming now comes out. It doesn't hold the same artistic value it had before.

The hats themselves now look really interesting though. I've seen some creative ones lately.

Jonas_Swe
03-29-2008, 04:19 PM
Personalized ears sounds great! :clappy:

I would go back and design several different ears to wear depending on my mood for the day! :mickey:

elmjimmlm
04-22-2008, 10:57 AM
This is something that my kids will really want...Where is this located?

brewcrew26
04-22-2008, 11:05 AM
We just got back and I made my own ears at Le Chapeau (it's kiddie corner from Tony's Town Square on Main Street, the right side as you walk toward the castle).

I got so many compliments on my hat. A lot of CMs were like, "I've never seen those ears before, where did you get them!?"

I picked a white beanie with embossed Mickeys on it. Then white pearlized ears. I put a Mickey and Minnie bride/groom patch on it. Then, added a blingy heart and flower to it. On the back, I wrote "Bride" in pink.

It's super-dee-duper cute!! I'll try and post a picture when I figure how to upload the pix from my new camera!!

Mickey91
04-25-2008, 01:09 AM
Sounds like fun! Can't wait to go!:mickey:

Hayden's Dad
04-25-2008, 09:16 AM
Is there no hand stitching names any more? Not even back in Toontown? That is a little dissapointing, but we'll somehow struggle through.

Laughin' place
04-25-2008, 01:47 PM
First off, thanks for all your great posts. As I've said before, it's great to have an "insider". I've read so many of your posts on so many topics, I feel like we've got a friend on Main St.
That being said, we will look you up in 36 days ! Laughin place and family will come say "hi", if that's ok
Do you know if the new ears come in "sizes" (I asked you about mouse-ear sizes in the past, but not since the new, customizable ones came out). I have a huge melon, and have wanted ears for years ! Darling new wife has promised me a pair, but Im afraid they still wont fit, LOL.
Keep up the great work, cast members are a HUGE part of our love for the World !:number1:

tomorrowschild
04-26-2008, 12:58 PM
We saw this in March when we were there.
Here are a few pics my DB took.

Hats (http://picasaweb.google.com/brettyoung8864/WDWSaturdayMarch22nd2008/photo#5180669312151758018)

Just hit forward to see them.

Gooftroop5
04-26-2008, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the pics. I was already looking forward to this. Now I'm even more excited. Can't wait. :mickey:

Young@Heart
04-26-2008, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the pics! It was difficult to picture what these would look like. I wasn't too interested before, but now I'm thinking I might buy a pair of ears. :mickey:

dizknee531
04-26-2008, 11:52 PM
Can't wait to try it!! Thanks!!:mickey:

mickeys_princess_mom
04-30-2008, 09:58 PM

Hats (http://picasaweb.google.com/brettyoung8864/WDWSaturdayMarch22nd2008/photo#5180669312151758018)

Just hit forward to see them.
Yes, thanks for the pix! I really am intrigued by this--think I want some! (Cute little princess, by the way!:princess:)
:wave:

Flower
05-01-2008, 09:47 AM
Thnaks for the pics! That looks so fun!!!

Figment!
06-19-2008, 10:22 AM
Although it debuted ~ 3 months ago, Disney has now made a press release announcing the new offering:

Walt Disney World Guests Create Custom Mouse Ear Hats With the New ‘Build Your Own Ears Hat’ Boutique

Walt Disney World Press Release
June 17, 2008

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Every Kingdom has its crown jewels, and Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort is no different. But don't expect rubies or spires of gold: The jewels here -- those famous Mouse Ear hats -- come with a little extra "character."

Guests are finding a new, customized way to enjoy the already blossoming array of Ear hats offered at Florida's Vacation Kingdom. Exclusively at The Chapeau on Main Street U.S.A. in Magic Kingdom, guests can visit the Build Your Own Ears Hat boutique and fashion a set of ears that represents their individual personality.

"For the first time, guests can take our traditional, iconic Mickey Mouse Ears -- made famous in the 1950s with the Mickey Mouse Club -- and customize them," said Dara Trujillo, merchandise manager at Walt Disney World Resort. "Not only is this a unique product offering, but every set will be different, just like our guests."

Here's how it works:

Guests start by choosing one of 19 bases in colors and materials such as purple satin, pink fur, blue velvet or green glow-in-the-dark.
Next, guests choose two snap-on ears from an assortment such as metallic, rhinestone and holographic -- either two ears of the same variety or two different options for a really distinctive look.
If they wish, guests can adorn their hat using peel-and-stick patches representing favorite Disney characters, Disney princesses and Disney Channel shows. Custom embroidery and stick-on letters are also available.

With thousands of combinations possible, it's easy for guests to create an Ear hat that is uniquely "them." And once the creation is complete, there's no fewer than seven mirrors stationed around the shop in which to admire the one-of-a-kind work of art.

"Guests take pride in showing off their creative talents," said Trujillo. "It's their way of saying, 'These were made just for me.' "

Prices vary based on how elaborate a creation a guest concocts. A basic hat -- a base, two ears and a chin strap -- starts around $7.50, with patches ($2.95 each), letters ($5.95 for a pack) and embroidery ($3.00) optional. Hats are one-size-fits-all, but can be adjusted to fit smaller guests using the chin strap.

brewcrew26
06-19-2008, 11:33 PM
Thanks Jason. Better late than never, I guess. Maybe they wanted to see if it was actually going to be a popular new thing before telling the world.

the other micki
06-20-2008, 10:34 AM
Loved the pics, Tomorrowschild! What a precious baby!

Ppufi
06-29-2008, 07:04 PM
Does anyone know if there are Nightmare Before Christmas patches?

Minnie Imagineer
06-29-2008, 08:13 PM
I can't wait to make my own pair! I really want rhinestone mickey ears! my friend did this a few months ago and loved it. I don't really like the patches though...they are more 'kid-friendly'