PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness lodge

offwego
03-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Can anyone tell me anything about the pool, resort, rooms etc that would help me look at this from a 12 year olds perspective? (boy)

thinking of it for just a two night portion of our next trip..thanks in advance!

ledudes
03-21-2008, 11:19 AM
We stayed there once. It was nice, but I can't really think of anything great from a 12 year olds point of view. The pool was ok, but I think for a kid the pool area at the beach club is more exciting, plus you have the boardwalk and an easy walk to MGM or Epcot from that resort. If you are looking for a deluxe resort, I would prefer that area if I was a kid.

wendy*darling
03-21-2008, 11:31 AM
My boys enjoy the WL every time we stay there. I think the first time they were 12 & 15.
The lobby is awesome! Ask at the front desk for the Hidden Mickey scavenger hunt. One of my sons and I spent a good hour or so looking for these (really hard to find) Mickeys. The hunt takes you all the way up to the higher floors- and your view of the lobby from up there is even better.

When you check in- ask if there are openings for "Flag Family." It's a hard thing to get (as there is only one family each day, and you cannot book this in advance)- but if you are lucky- you and your family will go up to the rooftop with the "ranger" and put the flags up for the day. The view from up there is amazing! (Unfortunately, I have only seen pictures)

Whispering Canyon Cafe is right in the lobby- and is a fun "wild west" meal- they serve breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The pool is fun. No, it's not the mini-water park that is at the Beach Club, but it's a fun pool just the same. My kids liked the section with the current- they had fun trying to swim against it!

And we all enjoyed the boat ride to MK! If you are coming back on the boat at night- look at the Lodge from out in the water- see if you can find the bear :thumbsup:!

offwego
03-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Linda I think the hidden Mickey thing would be up my son's alley (and since we are thinking dec. not dependant on weather)

I've heard of the Flag Family but wouldn't sign up for that as I'm sure it's fantastic but would mean more to a guest who is from the U.S.A and as Canadians I wouldn't want to chance taking that away from someone else. (And now you know why we have that "polite" reputation)

Thanks for the feedback on the epoct resorts! Those do look intersting but we want to make sure that a friend of ours with DVC can pool hop and Beach/Yacht club are restricted so I don't think we will go that route.

BelleLovesTheBeast
03-21-2008, 01:12 PM
I've heard of the Flag Family but wouldn't sign up for that as I'm sure it's fantastic but would mean more to a guest who is from the U.S.A and as Canadians I wouldn't want to chance taking that away from someone else. (And now you know why we have that "polite" reputation)

WOW! That is very thoughtful.

wendy*darling
03-21-2008, 01:40 PM
WOW! That is very thoughtful.
My thoughts exactly!!
I didn't notice you were from Canada- but I probably would have recommended it anyway- they put up 5 flags I believe. American, Florida, WDW, WL and Mickey flag.
Think of it as more of a unique experience than a "patriotic" one.

Tink2002
03-21-2008, 01:42 PM
My sister was twelve (and turned 13) while we were at WL. There's a geyser that blasts off at set intervals during the day (can't exactly remember the times, but I'm sure they would fill you in at the front desk) and we both found that pretty cool. The pool area has a slide and the current section which would be enjoyable for your son as well. You should also plan to have a meal at Whispering Canyon, and I would try to go for dinner since they seem to put on more antics during the evening times.

biodtl
03-21-2008, 02:23 PM
We're staying at WL for the 1st time in October and it sounds like both my 12 and 5 year old will both find things they like. The 12 year old is a boy scout and when he heard about the Flag Family, he decided to bring his uniform to wear in case we get picked - he can't imagine being at a flag-raising without it.

offwego
03-21-2008, 02:39 PM
We're staying at WL for the 1st time in October and it sounds like both my 12 and 5 year old will both find things they like. The 12 year old is a boy scout and when he heard about the Flag Family, he decided to bring his uniform to wear in case we get picked - he can't imagine being at a flag-raising without it.

Thanks again everyone..and see above post for why I'd feel bad. My DS has been blessed with many many magical moments already. It would give me a bad feeling to sign up for one that secretly I would know would mean more to some other young boy. (now if they had one at Canada that would be a whole nother thing!)

Can anyone tell me anything about the holiday themes? Also does anyone know if the decorations for Christmas include anything unique here? Thanks again for all your feedback..after going to so many of the mods it's weird to not know too much about potential options again.

ledudes
03-21-2008, 04:10 PM
On a side note, when we visited Canada in Epcot, my daughter was chosen as the honorary Canadian and got a certificate and bracelet....maybe your son will get chosen for that.

wendy*darling
03-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Can anyone tell me anything about the holiday themes? Also does anyone know if the decorations for Christmas include anything unique here?
Oh- I think this is just THE most stunningly decorated resort at Christmastime!
The lobby is just jaw-dropping gorgeous all of the year- but at Christmas it is breath-taking!
The Lodge is designed to look like a Pacific Northwest log cabin structure. The lobby is a huge atrium- and the Christmas tree in the center is enormous.
Despite how large everything is...it has a very warm, welcoming feel to it. You feel like "home."