PDA

View Full Version : BrerFamily Feb Trip Report....

Thumper03
03-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Trip Report – Travel Day
Date: Friday, February 22nd
Queen Reporting

I worked and the kids schooled most of the day Friday to avoid taking an extra vacation day. We had a 6:00PM flight out – lay-over in ATL, then on to MCO…we estimated a late night check-in around 11:30 – Midnight. Reality was much different…check-in didn’t happen until 2:30AM!!! So, let’s talk about the journey. It was quite a story all by itself.

All seemed well at home, but as it turned out, it was not so great that day and evening on the East coast. Weather delays cost us about 1 hour on the first leg of our trip. No problem, we were still fresh…goin’ to WDW…all happy.
Then we get off the plane in ATL, and find out our next flight leaves from a gate that’s on the opposite side of the planet and the only way to get there is to take a journey to the center of the Earth:thedolls: and emerge to a mile long tunnel filled with other anxious running humanity. It was not pleasant. When we finally got to our gate, we were greeted by a lovely woman who said in her growliest voice…”We’re boarding!”…like it was our fault the flights were delayed. We breathed a sigh of relief that we made the connecting flight and found our seats in the way, way back of the plane. BrerFan called it the Romper Room section…you get the picture. But it just gets better…
It’s now 9:45PM EST, and we’re expecting the plane to take off soon…but no. We sit and sweat, and listen to the captain come on telling us we’re waiting (first) for some luggage to transfer…then more luggage…then a connecting flight from Vegas…just 5 more minutes…still waiting on Vegas…just 5 more minutes…OMG!!!!:angry:
BrerFan says “They gambled and lost! Let’s go!” drawing laughs from the adults in the Romper Room.
So (no kidding) 1 hour later the plane starts to move…it doesn’t take off, because we had to wait our turn behind a million other planes that were also apparently waiting for Vegas.

By now, though we’re flying, our nerves and patience are shot. The kids are actually holding up well…the parents…not so much. We had THE WORST flight attendants we’ve ever had…we “affectionately” named one duck-mouth. She had just a little too much nip and tuck I think…and it really wasn’t helping. She was rude to everyone, her perfume was noxious, and she seemed to enjoy sticking her rear-end in your face and leaving it there! AAAHHHHH! :scared: At one point after all bags had been stowed, she opens a closed compartment, grabs BrerFan’s ESPN bag, twists it in half, and stuffs it back in the compartment…slams the door…NO reason whatsoever. He was thrilled…are there Air Marshals on board?…and what’s the chances they are sitting in the Romper Room?

So we fly, we land…we wait in line for a terminal…forever!!! At this point, we’ve been on this plane about three-times longer than we should have. Again, besides being tired, the kids are holding up well…I am beginning to lose my cool, BrerFan begins the realization that he’s too tired to be rational, so he will be silent. When we finally reached the terminal, something or someone at the front of the plane prevented us from moving for almost another ½ hour. I have felt various levels of anxiety in my life, but I think what I was feeling and the way my body was reacting could classify as an anxiety or panic attack. I lost my mind. I was shaking, sweating, had trouble breathing, I was rocking in my seat and fidgeting uncontrollably…I’m pretty sure I looked insane.:blowup: I thought I was going to make a scene, and it took all my strength not to.

Once I could move, I bolted off the plane. :bolt: As soon as I reached the inside of the airport, I started to breathe and all was well. Whew!!! Oh yeah, and then BrerFan and the kids caught up to me.
MCO at 1:30AM is quite a sight…NO People! It was weird, just like our journey there.

We wandered our way to Magical Express, taking our time because the thought of getting back on any kind of vehicle made us cringe. You can imagine at this level of exhaustion the normally annoying becomes infuriating. The annoying was the large group in front of us at the Magical Express check-in counter…they couldn’t decide how many pieces of checked luggage they had, then when they went through each family in their group to count, they couldn’t add. I think I rolled my eyes so hard, I pulled a muscle…the sighs sounded more like growls.

We were ushered past the queue directly to a bus, and then…you guessed it…we sat there, at least another 30 minutes, probably waiting for Vegas again!! It was the longest we’ve ever waited on a ME bus, at the worst possible time. People fill in around us, including a rowdy group who literally ran to the back of the bus, and then together, jumped up and down to make the bus rock! To really top it off, a father and son sat directly behind me (across the aisle from BrerFan), and they SMELLED!! Not a little funky from a long day of travel, but like they just rolled through an MCO dumpster before they got on the bus. I have no idea what it was, but it was overwhelming. I kept my face buried in my jacket. :sick: If the bus had not moved exactly when it did, BrerFan was ready to take us all off the bus and call a cab. So, down the road we went.

Finally, a moment of Divine intervention; our resort, OKW, was the first stop. We were joined only by one young man traveling alone. Good riddance ME!

It’s 2:30AM - - Welcome Home! Ahhhhhh…..check in was fairly painless except their computer was down, and they couldn’t set-up our credit card to charge…blah, blah, blah…I don’t care, I need a bed right now! They drove us and the young man to our respective buildings and we hauled ourselves up the stairs to our room and passed out.:medic:

We’ll go into actual vacation reports next, but we had to share this travel day. It goes down as our most difficult to date.

gauvin4
03-21-2008, 11:18 AM
I am soooo sorry to hear about your misadventure getting to WDW!! :( I think I may have sat beside that same family on the ME bus when we went in Dec. :sick:

I hope the rest of your vacation makes up for a horrible start! :mickey:

JPL
03-21-2008, 11:57 AM
Is your last name Griswald? Sounds Like National Lampoon's WDW Vacation so far ;) The person who smelled was probably just Cousin Eddie :sick: Wasn't it Clark that said getting there is half the fun!

I have to say you have really reinforced the reasons I never ever take connecting flights and refuse to sit in the back of the plane. Once the plane lands I want off and it's not that I don't like flying I actually really enjoy it.

I have to say the felling of joy when reaching OKW is something i can relate on my first DVC I literally had a tear in my eye when they said "Welcome Home!"

mickeytinkerbellprincess
03-21-2008, 02:59 PM
I guess I'm not the only one with bad experiences with planes! Sorry that it started out so bad, hope the rest is better! :)

janmathatter
03-21-2008, 08:59 PM
I'm also one who will not take connecting flights. It's either non-stop or I will stay home. And that definitely sounds like a panic attack, my daughter has them. In fact she had one in Altanta waiting for a delayed connecting flight to Florida. I spent an hour on the phone with her talking her through it, and even called the airline to tell them to make sure she got on the next flight or else. But let's get to the good part now, I need WDW details and lots of them and soon.

Thumper03
03-22-2008, 10:19 AM
Trip Report – First Full Day @ WDW
Date: Saturday, February 23rd
Queen Reporting

We should frame this WDW trip report with a little background. This was a trip of firsts.
It was our first trip as DVC members at a DVC resort; it was our first trip using the DDP, it was our first trip as a group of four as the oldest has left the nest. The Lil’Brers are DD (9) and DS (12). Two nights before we left, DD woke up with a stomach bug…fortunately it was only a 24 hour and she was good to go by Friday…but we had all had our bouts of cold and flu and were still healing to various degrees.

Before we left home, we confirmed with our DVC Guide what appliances we had available at a Studio at OKW, so we could prepare for groceries. We placed an order with Garden Grocer to be delivered between 8AM and 9AM on Saturday morning. We hoped after the night we had, we wouldn’t regret that, but I woke up on my own before 8AM…darn that internal alarm clock anyway.
Garden Grocer called to let us know they were on the way, and wanted to know if they should bring the groceries to the room or to Bell Services. Since we had not requested our luggage yet, I asked to leave them at Bell Services and then we had everything brought up together. That worked out well. The groceries were primarily drinks, breakfast food and late night snacks, and it was a great money saver. As much as I loved having my coffee in my room every morning, BrerFan also loved having his cold Diet Pepsi thanks to the grocery delivery. We will definitely do this again. The prices were comparable to our small town grocery store…a bit higher than a Super WalMart…but still a huge savings over WDW Sundry Stores. :thumbsup:

We spent the morning taking our time and moving at a very leisurely pace…also a first for us. After long showers, coffee, breakfast, we decided to head out. AK was our first park of the trip. The bus stop (South Pointe) was a quick walk across a parking lot from our room. This was very convenient, especially later in the trip, late at night after long days. We were usually the second drop-off, second pick-up.
Rather than use our bus depot this morning, we opted to walk to Hospitality House and check out what we missed when we checked in. We also had to get our room charges set-up since the computers were down.

It goes without saying that this winter has been brutal. Even if you’re use to cold, it’s been brutally cold. For this reason the walk up to Hospitality House was like physical therapy. Nothing has felt so good as the light humidity and warmth of that late morning on our joints.:angel: Maybe we’re just getting old, but we soaked it up like never before. It started to rain a little…we really didn’t care, it was 80 degrees. But we did pick up some ponchos just in case. After some exploring around Hospitality House we grabbed a bus and headed to AK.

The bus ride to AK was uneventful, but the bus was nearly empty. We found this to be true most of the time at OKW. We assume it must be the number of DVCers who bring or rent cars, and don’t use WDW transportation. Or maybe they just don’t go to the parks as much.

Upon entering we stopped at the Photopass people on the bridge and cheesed it up. We wandered a bit and realized it was lunch time already, so off to Flame Tree. Entrées, drinks and desserts. Food was great as usual, but we felt the rub on the ribs was a little strong this time. We wanted to head over to Everest, but besides LilBrerFan, no one was quite ready to jump on. We noticed a Nemo show getting ready to start, so we stopped in. It was full and the only seating available was in the “cheap seats” at the back of the theatre, next to the exit. We’ve seen the show before and love it…we thought the seats would be okay for quick viewing…nope. We won’t be doing that again. It’s total chaos back there!! People don’t shut up, they are up and down, in and out, climbing over benches and seats and railings…all while the Cast Members stand there. We realize the Nemo show is not On-Broadway theatre, but there should still be some etiquette applied for a live performance. There was none. It was just rude. Those performers deserve better.:down:
Okay off the soap box….the show was still great, we’ll just be sure to get there early next time to avoid the “side show” in the back.

We were off to Everest. BrerFan and LilBrerFan rode together. LilBrerGirl and I were not in the mood; we just looked around the gift shop and admired the theming outside. I do love this attraction and all the work they put into the queue and the area around it. LilBrerFan wanted to ride it again immediately, so we sent him in the single rider line. BrerFan reports a great ride, everything operational including the Yeti…but once is enough for him.

We decided Kali was next…we had the ponchos and the rain had mostly held off. Kali was great as usual, it was a walk on and we got drowned! We went ahead and stayed on for a second round…nobody in line…got drowned again!! Could have stayed on for a third round, but opted out. LilBrerGirl and BrerFan’s feet in particular were soaked and uncomfortable. We pulled off wet shoes and socks, bought some dry ones for DD and moved on to the last Safari of the day. It was the first time we saw the lions up and moving around. I actually got a picture of them this time. The driver was impossible to understand…he sounded like a drunk Christopher Walken…which of course gave BrerFan fodder for imitations for the rest of the trip.:funny:

When we exited the Safari, it was normal closing time, but AK was open until 8PM that night. We had never been there when it was open late before. They were closing up the snack carts though, and we had to be a little stubborn about getting some ice cream before the cart outside of Safari closed. They wanted to shut it down in front of us…I’m guessing the looks on our faces told them NOT TO…they shut it down behind us. We’re not completely recovered from the plane trip yet…gggrrrrrrrr…:mad:more Pixie Dust please!

Now we’re merrily on our way with our ice cream. Besides Everest, the only other area open was Dinoland…not sure about Kali. We went to see Dinosaur…one of my favs! It was great, also a walk on.
Then we rode PW..it was a little rough actually, and LilBrerGirl’s first time riding it. She was fine, BrerFan’s Flame Tree lunch was creeping up on him…eeeewwwww.:sick:
Enough spinning and dropping for the day. LilBrerGirl has always asked to play in the Bone Yard, and we’ve always passed it by. Tonight we let her go play. It was a nice break. A cool evening, not crowded, and the music in there is a lot of fun.

We had an 8:30PM ADR at Boma. This would also be a first. We left just before park close and beat the rush. It was a quick trip to AKL and we were early on purpose. We wanted to look around a little since this is now our “Home” resort. But we found just sitting was really nice, so we did that. We did look at the gift shop for DVC specific merchandise and Boma was able to seat us early. It’s a beautiful setting, and smells wonderful. I was looking forward to trying some of the more exotic flavors offered and hoping there was enough American fare to satisfy the rest of the crew. There was.

Our waitress was very helpful, and prompt with service. She helped walk us through our first sit down meal on the DDP. I had a glass of wine which complicated it a bit. I don’t know how the DDP was before, but the way it is now is awkward. The only options for gratuity listed are 18% and 20%, so if you deviate from that at all, it’s very obvious and uncomfortable. She was great, but it was a buffet…so we didn’t feel like 18% was warranted. Right or wrong, we gave her a little less. Because the tip is no longer the closing transaction, but rather the primary transaction with the wait staff, you’re left feeling like you have to explain. We liked the value of the DDP for our family, but it created daily clumsy and uncomfortable situations. In subsequent reports we will explain some of the other difficulties we had…they varied by restaurant.

The meal was great. We would go back again.

As we were leaving AKL, we noticed that the Memphis/Tennessee Basketball game was just starting (number 1 against number 2). BrerFan wanted to get back to the room to watch the game and get updates on some “bracket-buster” games. We went to the DTD bus stop at AKL so we could get our bus back to OKW. It was kind of a long wait there. Once we got to DTD, there was a bus quickly. But, by the time we got back to our room and turned ESPN on, there was only about 5 minutes left in that Memphis/Tennessee game. This scenario begins to change how we look at WDW transportation…more on that later.
It was a good first day. We started off slow, but it was great, and we found that we took to that pace pretty well.
Back to the room for a light snack and bed. Magic Kingdom in the morning….

Thumper03
03-22-2008, 11:44 AM
Once the plane lands I want off and it's not that I don't like flying I actually really enjoy it.

Me too, when it lands I want off...I don't like flying. I don't avoid it, but it's not an enjoyable experience for me.

JPL
03-22-2008, 12:20 PM
Sounds like a good first day. :thumbsup:
As for Flame Tree overall most the restaurants have declined since the inception of the DDP.

I have never been to AK for EMH it seems they never have them scheduled during my trip. :(

Patricia
03-24-2008, 08:54 PM
Every one of my trips to WDW is at least 2 landings if not 3. It takes all day. If I luck out, I can fly to Seattle and then onto Orlando.. If I'm not so lucky, I fly to Texas (Dallas or Houston) and then to Denver, then to Orlando. Often landing at midnight. :(

I'm not sure I'm sold on Disney Dining yet..

terri.m
03-26-2008, 12:07 PM
I just hate travel days when they turn out like that. Sounds like AK was a wonderful day, can't wait to hear about the rest!

JPL
03-30-2008, 08:41 PM
Still waiting for the rest :wait:

trackbarroness
03-31-2008, 03:47 AM
Did you meet me? I can't seem to recall if we did or not. :blush:

JPL
03-31-2008, 08:46 AM
Still waiting for the rest :wait: :wait:

And people get on my case for being slow :rolleyes:

Patricia
03-31-2008, 01:54 PM
At least they get done. I don't think I've done a trip report in my ten years at INTERCOT.

Have I? :confused:

Thumper03
03-31-2008, 08:27 PM
Did you meet me? I can't seem to recall if we did or not. :blush:

Nope, we missed you again. :( We looked for you at Space Mtn, TTA, and all around Tomorrow Land, but didn't see you.

Thumper03
03-31-2008, 08:32 PM
Still waiting for the rest :wait: :wait:

And people get on my case for being slow :rolleyes:

We learned from the best JP!:fresh:

Schedules are crazy, and I'm just recovery from a stomach bug...I'd rather take a beating!
It was awful.:sick:

Tonight I will start on our MK day.

JPL
04-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Still waiting for the rest :wait: :wait: :wait:

JPL
08-21-2008, 10:09 PM
While you are all waiting for the rest of my trip report this should draw attention away from me :thumbsup: