PDA

View Full Version : Now that I am staying at the GF...would you stay in the Sugar Loaf??

Lillex
03-21-2008, 09:04 AM
We are staying the week between Xmas and New Years with three young children. Thinking of doing the SL. $150-175 more a day. If you were staying this time of year would you spring for the Sugar Loaf for the extra help with planning, snacks etc or would you just stay GV.

Any other room location opinions. RPC price is just too high that time of year.

TIA!!!

yemmer
03-21-2008, 09:47 AM
If you can spend the extra money-stay at Sugarloaf. we loved it and it was well worth the money. It is so convenient to have snacks throughout the day and drinks. We loved it!

DawsonAR
03-21-2008, 03:59 PM
With three young kids, yes I would do it. We did Club Level for the first time on our last tirp and we won't ever do anything else. We only have two young kids and it was well worth it.

TammiMcMan
03-21-2008, 06:19 PM
That's a tough question. I've stayed a number of times in Sugar Loaf and I'm not sure what the right answer is for you. In all honestly, you can get your ADR's by making sure you call at the 180 day window. The pre-planning staff has to wait until the same booking window and if something is sold out, it's sold out. The benefit is that they can keep checking on cancellations for you.

Having the snacks and drinks available within the same building is definitely convenient, especially if you'll be spending a lot of time at the resort. Will a family of 2 adults and 3 small children eat $175 worth of snacks everyday? Probably not. The club level food at the GF tends to be on the gourmet side, but they do have a small area for more kid friendly food items.

The lounge itself has been recently renovated, but it's small and has very limited seating. The resort is going to be packed that week. If you time it right and go down during "off peak" hours, you can probably find a table, otherwise, you can bring a tray of snacks back up to your room.

Your room and the view is not significantly upgraded. The only views available from Sugar Loaf are marina and garden. From a very few rooms on the marina side, you can see some of the fireworks going off. If I remember the room numbers correctly, we had 6313 once and 6315 another time. You can't see the castle, but we saw the fireworks from the balcony. The rooms have the same amenities, the only difference is that the club level rooms have a DVR attached to the TV and bathrobes already in the closet.

For around $1000 to upgrade over 6 nights, you can get some convenience and some additional help with planning, or you could book some very nice extra's, like a Wishes fireworks cruise for the family, Cirque du Soliel tickets and/or upgraded dining options. All the rooms have refrigerators, so even for a fraction of the cost of the upgrade, you could have some groceries delivered to the resort and have them in your room. I don't know the ages of your children, so it may be that they're young enough where convenience and a little extra planning help would be worth the additional cost.

Lillex
03-22-2008, 06:49 AM
Thanks Tammi. I am booked in a GV right now and I will keep thinking about it. Since it is Christmas...we may just do it in order to have help with the extra planning. Will they help you store gifts and pack things up to mail home??

Also- I thought about the MK view room instead for something a little extra. What do you guys think about MK view or would you just stick with GV or the concierge??

TammiMcMan
03-22-2008, 10:02 AM
Will they help you store gifts and pack things up to mail home??I've never had the need to store gifts, but they have been very helpful with packaging items and arranging shipping. Our family stayed club level around the holidays and I had shipped a small Christmas tree and gifts to them ahead of time. They were able to set it all up in our room prior to arrival. That was a really nice surprise for my family.

Also- I thought about the MK view room instead for something a little extra. What do you guys think about MK view or would you just stick with GV or the concierge??The MK view is nice, but it won't guarantee a castle view. You may be looking towards Space Mountain instead. If you decide to stay with the garden view, you could always ask for Boca Chica, high floor, overlooking Narcoossee's. This will give you a view of the castle through the trees. For some added space, you could ask about a corner room as well. Some of them come with extra floor space and two balconies.