PDA

View Full Version : Disney potentially buying back Disney Store(s)

GrumpyFan
03-20-2008, 11:53 AM
This made the news today across several outlets.

This could potentially be a good thing for Disney. I always thought it was a mistake for them to sell/turn it over in the first place. There's no reason why the stores can't be profitable for Disney, if properly run and managed.

from Reuters -
Children's Place to exit Disney chain, posts loss

Retailer Children's Place (PLCE.O) on Thursday said it is in advanced talks with The Walt Disney Company for Disney to regain ownership of two-thirds of Disney Stores in North America.

Disney confirmed it was talking about potentially buying back a portion of the Disney Store chain, which Children's Place has operated under a license.

"Given the challenging macro-economic environment, we believe the steps we are taking today, while difficult, will put The Children's Place in position to realize its full potential," Chuck Crovitz, interim chief executive officer of The Children's Place Retail Stores Inc, said in the earnings release.

Children's Place also on Thursday posted a net loss for the fourth quarter, compared with a year-ago net gain, hurt mostly by one-time charges regarding their exit of the Disney Store North America chain.
The company reported a quarterly net loss of $58.5 million, or $2.01 per share, compared with a net profit of $44.7 million, or $1.48 per share, a year earlier.
While Children's Place posted a net gain when one-time items are excluded, they still fell short of analysts' average estimates as a tough economic environment crimped consumer spending. Excluding items such as asset impairment charges, the company earned $20.5 million, or 70 cents a share. Analysts polled by Reuters Estimates had expected 89 cents a share.

The company said it recognized a pretax asset impairment charge of $80.3 million in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2007, related to exiting the Disney store. The company said it plans to cut 80 positions from its shared services work force.

Children's Place said consolidated comparable sales for all its stores in the fourth quarter rose 3 percent, while the Disney Stores comparable sales fell 4 percent.

Apart from the charges, Children's Place said a tough economic environment and high inventory hurt earnings.

Crovitz said he anticipates sales will increase in the mid-single digits in 2008, driven in part by 30 new store openings in the latter part of the year.

"By any measure, fiscal 2007 was a very tough year for our company. For the majority of the year, our merchandise assortments ... did not resonate with the consumer and our inventory levels were too high, particularly given the challenging economic environment," Crovitz said.
Children's Place shares were up 9.7 percent at $21.50 in trading before the opening bell.

(Reporting by Kristina Cooke; Editing by Steve Orlofsky and Maureen Bavdek)

GrumpyFan
03-20-2008, 11:59 AM
On a side-related note. I've always felt like they should have a kiosk in the larger Disney stores with a vacation planner there. I think it would be a great idea if they had someone there at least part of the day or maybe just on weekends who could answer questions about the parks and cruises, and help with planning and booking vacations. They already sell tickets in the stores, why not have someone there who could "sell" the stuff even better?

They could also, push/sell the DVC like they do in the parks.

DizneyFreak2002
03-20-2008, 12:06 PM
I hope this is true... Disney Stores have been selling junk since Children's Place took over... Hopefully the quality of merchandise goes up once Disney takes over again....

SurferStitch
03-20-2008, 12:18 PM
It would be nice to see Disney get the stores back, but I have to say that the couple stores I've shopped at over the last year have had beautiful women's and men's clothing. High quality, nicely designed and more modern styles. I've gotten beautiful hoodies, jeans, tees, skirts and purses. I've also gotten beautiful Tink statues, and some really nice canvas artwork.

Magic Fanatic
03-20-2008, 12:39 PM
On a side-related note. I've always felt like they should have a kiosk in the larger Disney stores with a vacation planner there. I think it would be a great idea if they had someone there at least part of the day or maybe just on weekends who could answer questions about the parks and cruises, and help with planning and booking vacations. They already sell tickets in the stores, why not have someone there who could "sell" the stuff even better?

I have to disagree. These stores have been performing poorly for years, even before the Childrens Place stepped in. Adding additional staffing to for vacation planning and pushing DVC would just another added expense with little return. Instead, why not save that additional expense and go back to what worked originally with these stores. Sell QUALITY MERCHANDISE and get back into the collectables and art (NO I DON"T MEAN SNOWGLOBES). My wife recently purchased a set of 8 very nice looking drinking glasses. The quility is so poor that the painting around the glass rubs off on your fingers (yes, the label said they were dishwasher safe). I have to say that many times you will find that there is better quality Disney licensed merchadise at Wal Mart than there is at the Disney Store.

Crow
03-20-2008, 12:44 PM
I hope they change from Disney clothing store, to a Disney store again.
I did see them going downhill before the sale. the other day i walked in for 2 min & walked out. only a few snowglobes, 1 rack of DVDs/Cds
the rest clothes or toys that didnt look too great.
I miss seeing a lithograph or 2. etc
Of course if Disney buys them back they may just become a Bibbidi Bobbity.

GrumpyFan
03-20-2008, 12:55 PM
I have to disagree. These stores have been performing poorly for years, even before the Childrens Place stepped in.

The problem (IMHO) is they were not managed properly before. They were out of touch with customer demand, and the brand has been over-sold to other places so much that buying Disney mercahndise at other places was more economical. They also had too many stores. It should be an exclusive/limited experience with a store in only a few select, larger locations.

I really believe that if they manage the stores and sell exclusive items that cannot be found elsewhere and that are in line with customer demand, they will be successful.

Tinkerfreak
03-20-2008, 01:55 PM
The problem (IMHO) is they were not managed properly before. They were out of touch with customer demand, and the brand has been over-sold to other places so much that buying Disney mercahndise at other places was more economical. They also had too many stores. It should be an exclusive/limited experience with a store in only a few select, larger locations.

I really believe that if they manage the stores and sell exclusive items that cannot be found elsewhere and that are in line with customer demand, they will be successful.

I agree with all of this 100%. Why would I pay more money for the same thing or similar thing at Walmart or Target or any other chain store. I used to love wearing something unique that I had purchased at the Disney Store. I also used to order from their website alot but once they changed everything there I just didn't find much to buy anymore.
I used to go in and spend an hour in the store. Now I am in and out in 5 minutes because I rarely find anything. I also wish they carried more plus sized clothing.
As far as the tickets go, the emplyees I have met know very little about the parks and packages. In fact I knew more. There was a time I was in there and a customer asked a question and the clerk had no idea how to answer or even who she should ask. When the clerk saw me (they know we well there) she asked me and I told the woman what she needed to know and directed her to Disneys website and of course here. I'm not saying that all Disney Store employees have to be experts and know all the answers but they should at least be able to direct customers to the Disney Website.

cvzdesign
03-20-2008, 02:11 PM
And they need to adjust the prices properly on videos.
Why would I go pay $29 for a video at the Disney Store when I can get the same exact one at Target or WalMart for $15 ?

If they sold ones at the stores that you couldn't get anywhere else, then the premium price would be justified.

Ian
03-20-2008, 02:14 PM
I'm going to be honest ... with the way Disney currently has their merchandising configured, I don't see much of a need for the Disney Store chain.

The truth is, Disney has so many other retail outlets pushing their merchandise and doing it in a lower cost environment that the idea of buying from Disney Stores as it used to exist is obsolete. You can buy Disney branded clothing, movies, toys, and whatever else at Target, Wal-Mart, Sears, and just about any other retail outlet with a pulse. Why go to the Disney Store and pay more for the same thing?

The reason the Disney Store concept worked initially was because it was like the only place you could go, outside of their theme parks, to purchase good Disney branded merchandise. Then Pressler decided to pimp all their junk merchandise out to anyone who would be willing to push it on people. They've completely devalued their brand from a retail perspective and there's no way that low margin, must-be-sold-on-clearance inventory can sustain a niche store chain like TDS.

The only way they can recover is to pull their stuff off of all the other retailers' shelves and go back to being the sole distribution network for their products. They also need to return to selling quality merchandise. I'm not necessarily sold on the idea that they have to go back to selling expensive collectables and all that, but they definitely need to do away with all the nickel and dime, made in China junk they peddle today.

bmj721
03-20-2008, 02:23 PM
There was a time long ago when one walked into a Disney Store (when they weren't so plentiful) that it felt as if one had just traveled to WDW. The CM's were well educated about everything Disney, not glorified checkout people. The items in the store were true treasures unlike anything we could find here in Indiana. The whole experience made one crazy to get on a jet and fly to Florida so this incredible place could be seen. (Understand that I was 28 yrs before I went to WDW.) After the Children's Place bought the stores it slowly evolved into a fleamarket quality bargain basement focusing mostly on children under the age of 8. Very discouraging.
I have great hopes. I like the ideas that others have expressed of not only quality merchandise, but also education of CM's on all things Disney and even DVC. These stores could be a very effective extension of Disney.
:mickey:

GrumpyFan
03-20-2008, 03:00 PM
I'm going to be honest ... with the way Disney currently has their merchandising configured, I don't see much of a need for the Disney Store chain.

The truth is, Disney has so many other retail outlets pushing their merchandise and doing it in a lower cost environment that the idea of buying from Disney Stores as it used to exist is obsolete. You can buy Disney branded clothing, movies, toys, and whatever else at Target, Wal-Mart, Sears, and just about any other retail outlet with a pulse. Why go to the Disney Store and pay more for the same thing?

The reason the Disney Store concept worked initially was because it was like the only place you could go, outside of their theme parks, to purchase good Disney branded merchandise. Then Pressler decided to pimp all their junk merchandise out to anyone who would be willing to push it on people. They've completely devalued their brand from a retail perspective and there's no way that low margin, must-be-sold-on-clearance inventory can sustain a niche store chain like TDS.

The only way they can recover is to pull their stuff off of all the other retailers' shelves and go back to being the sole distribution network for their products. They also need to return to selling quality merchandise. I'm not necessarily sold on the idea that they have to go back to selling expensive collectables and all that, but they definitely need to do away with all the nickel and dime, made in China junk they peddle today.

AMEN! Preach it brother!

Hopefully, under the new management (non-Eisner/Pressler) they can take some of this to heart and maybe learn why the stores failed in the first place. Otherwise, they're doomed to fail again.

GrumpyFan
03-20-2008, 03:05 PM
As far as the tickets go, the emplyees I have met know very little about the parks and packages. In fact I knew more. There was a time I was in there and a customer asked a question and the clerk had no idea how to answer or even who she should ask. When the clerk saw me (they know we well there) she asked me and I told the woman what she needed to know and directed her to Disneys website and of course here. I'm not saying that all Disney Store employees have to be experts and know all the answers but they should at least be able to direct customers to the Disney Website.

We've experienced similar things at our local store, and helped "educate" both Castmembers and store guests. They know us in a similar fashion, and whenever we're in the store they ask when we're going back. It's kinda funny, and cool.

KylesMom
03-20-2008, 03:24 PM
Interestingly enough, I participated in a 20-minute survey directly from Disney yesterday regarding Disney shopping versus shopping for Disney-related products at other chain stores. I purchase two-thirds of my merchandise online now instead of through the retail outlet (never can find anything at the retail level anymore). It seems the DS at our local mall sells a bunch of junk and items targeted for small children. I used to buy stuff weekly from our local mall store!

sillyolbear
03-20-2008, 04:01 PM
Perhaps they should take a step back and learn from the American Girl franchise. A few stores that are destination shops giving the ability to command a premium price and they are packed. I even have friends who plan vacations around a visit to one of their stores.

Roger's #1 Fan
03-20-2008, 04:08 PM
The other thing that has changed with TDS (at least in my area) is the theming. There used to be character/sets/theming that made the shopping experience immersive and fun. The reconfigured stores are very vanilla and stark. That along with a bunch of low quality merchandise has kept me out of the store for years now.
Another poster mentioned the BBBotique idea and I think that would be a great way for them to re-enter the market by rethemeing some of the stores with this concept. My 2 DD's (5 & 9) love Libby Lu and would definitely be asking to go to a BBB if it were in the mall.

dan24
03-20-2008, 08:31 PM
I live in Oklahoma.. and the disney store here .. is basically full of stuffed animals and childrens clothes.. they have no selection what so ever..I mean i know it wont be as great as the world of disney store at the park.. but a little better selection would be nice:number1:

DizneyRox
03-21-2008, 02:28 PM
Antoher one of those I told you so moments. I didn't think that CP would be able to make it work. The first few years, they were exempt from the licensing fees and therefore had an easier time of it. Now that the honeymoon is over, it's obviously a lot harder than they thought!

CP never had a chance, the deal with TWDC was stacked in Disney's favor. Disney often does this and by the time the other party figures out what Disney knew all along, it's too late for them.

It's interesting how a lot never really got transitioned over to CP. They never took ownership of DisneyStore.com which is HUGE in today's online marketplace. And I bleieve they never had control of the merchandise they would actually sell! It was always approved by Disney.

I will say, they held on longer than I thought. it's been three or four years now? I didn't think they would make it to year two.

JMTStone
03-21-2008, 02:36 PM

I love this!

Jasper
03-21-2008, 02:52 PM
The connecting thread that seems to be running through all your posts is that it doesn't really matter who owns the stores as long as they create a unique shopping experience that can't be had elsewhere, especially at a lower price. So my question is this - we all understand this principal but does Disney? If they don't "get it" then buying back the stores will just be a losing venture!

TheRustyScupper
03-21-2008, 03:07 PM
. . . The only way they can recover is to pull their stuff off of all the other retailers' shelves and go back to being the sole distribution network for their products . . .

1) Not sure I agree with you.
2) There will ALWAYS be a huge demand for Disney Store Plushes. :ack:
3) Just like before DS got ruined and sold Children's Palace.
4) Might as well shoot oneself in the foot again.
:bang:

DizneyRox
03-21-2008, 11:30 PM
If they don't "get it" then buying back the stores will just be a losing venture!
News Alert!

They don't get it! Sadly, I see nothing that shows that Disney sees that quality is where it's at. I just don't see all the "good" that Iger has done. From the outside looking in, I really don't see much difference than when Ei$ner was in charge. Less is more and higher prices is all I have seen.

Ian
03-22-2008, 12:29 PM
From what I'm reading, it looks like Disney may get at least part of it ... rumor has it they're going down to just 200 stores from the 700 or so they have today.

I've often thought that was TDS' biggest downfall. Disney Stores are destination stores. You don't shop for everyday items there, ergo, you don't need one in every single shopping mall around the country. You end up robbing profits from yourself, because people will travel to a Disney Store (assuming you stock things people actually want). So why have 4 stores in one area, all with their own overhead and expenses, to draw 150% of the guests that you would have drawn to just 1 store? Bad math.

Now logic would dictate that, if they're going to try to turn TDS back into a destination franchise, that they also will have to return to stocking quality merchandise. Because people won't travel around the corner for garbage, let alone any kind of distance.

And in regards to Iger ... give the guy a little break. He can't fix everything on day one. It takes time. And honestly, even if I was in charge of the company, tackling the merchandise issue would be lower on my list of priorities. Although, I did see a story not too long ago that the merch spend-per-guest numbers were way down at WDW. Maybe that will spur things along.

DisneyGiant
03-22-2008, 12:52 PM

I agree with this.

We deliberately go into NYC just to visit the Disney Store there - its still operated by Disney. All they have is computers on the 3rd floor - for goodness sake - people can go on the website themselves at home!!!

I've always thought they should have a vacation planner who could also talk about DVC while they're at it - to give that personal touch!

They already have characters there - which is awesome - because we take the nephews there every Christmas to take their picture with Santa Goofy and Christmas Chip and Dale......

Last time they went (Sept & March) it was Jack Sparrow. We couldn't get near Jack in the park............

Ed
03-23-2008, 01:00 PM
Children's Place seeking to return Disney Store business to Disney
Jeffrey Gold
Associated Press
5:05 PM EDT, March 20, 2008

NEWARK, N.J.
Children's Place Retail Stores Inc. is ready to let the Walt Disney Co. take back control of about two-thirds of the 335 stores in the Disney Store chain.

About 115 remaining stores were expected to close. Disney handed ownership of the chain to Children's Place in November 2004 with an agreement that Children's Place would pay royalties after two years.

Stock in both companies rose following the announcement Thursday from Secaucus-based Children's Place, which currently owns and operates 335 Disney Stores, in addition to 904 Children's Place stores.

Children's Place said it is in an "advanced phase of discussions" with Disney on how Disney would regain ownership and control of the stores. Children's Place intends to disclose plans for exiting the stores "in the very near term," it said.

The decision to quit came after "a thorough review of the operation, its potential for earnings growth, its capital needs and its ability to fund such needs from its own resources," Children's Place said.

Disney confirmed the talks, and said the Disney Stores "can be an important extension of the `Disney' brand."

In an interview, Gary Foster, senior vice president of Disney Consumer Products, said the talks centered on about two-thirds of the Disney Store chain in the U.S. and Canada.

"We believe that a smaller, more focused chain would be more economically sustainable and still cover the major markets that we would like to have Disney-branded outpost in," he said.

If the talks succeed, the North American Disney Store operations would be added to the 120 Disney Stores that Disney owns and operates in Europe, and 40 that it licenses in Japan.

Analyst Jeffrey Logsdon with BMO Capital Markets said Children's Place would be able to exit a capital-intensive business, while Disney could better leverage its larger number of brands on a smaller store base.

"It probably just never worked out as well as Children's Place thought it could," he said. "Disney gets something back, that they're in a better position to leverage and they get less of them. It comes down now to product and execution."

Conflict over a refurbishment plan put the companies at odds in recent years.

Last June, Children's Place said it agreed to a new refurbishment schedule in response to Disney's assertions that it had breached its licensing agreement. It committed $175 million to remodel 234 Disney stores by 2011 and redo 165 stores by this June.

Foster said by taking over the stores, Disney could better manage its growing portfolio of franchises, which now include High School Musical, Hannah Montana, and Pirates of the Caribbean.

"The company has done a phenomenal job of creating new franchises and has broadened our appeal to include boys and older kids," Foster said.

"It's much easier to launch franchises in Europe from a retail perspective if you have complete control, over the timing of the entertainment content, timing of the merchandise launches, and a retail outlet where you can really focus on those," Foster said.

The Children's Place announcement came as the company reported it swung to a loss in its fourth quarter mainly because of costs related to the pending Disney deal.

Sales at the company's Children's Place stores rose in the quarter, but revenue from the Disney Stores fell slightly.

The Disney Stores recorded an operating loss of $92.1 million for the quarter, and $107.3 million for the year.

Overall, for the three months ending Feb. 2, the company reported a loss of $58.5 million, or $2.01 a share, from a profit of $44.7 million, or $1.48, in the prior-year quarter.

Excluding asset impairment charges and other costs related to exiting the Disney business and costs associated with the decision to stop construction of a new headquarters building, the company earned $20.5 million, or about 70 cents per share.

Analysts polled by Thomson Financial expected earnings of 89 cents per share.

Fourth-quarter revenue rose 4 percent to $670.9 million, below analysts' predictions of $675.2 million.

Quarterly same-store sales, or sales at stores open at least a year, rose 3 percent across all the company's stores. Disney store same-store sales, though, fell 4 percent. Same-store sales is a key indicator of retailer performance since it measures growth at existing stores rather than new stores.

For the year, the company swung to a loss of $59.6 million, or $2.05 per share, versus a profit of $87.4 million, or $2.92, in the prior year. Revenue climbed 7 percent to $2.16 billion.

Shares in Children's Place surged 13.5 percent, or $2.65, to $22.25 Thursday. Disney shares rose 2.1 percent, or 66 cents, to $31.90.

disneydude1
03-23-2008, 01:19 PM
Hi there,
I am a Disney Store Cast Member and want to take this time to reply back to all posts that have been written on these boards. Please take this as you will, but I am not meaning to offend anyone. I simply just want to discuss the state of the DIsney Store today regarding the comments made on this board.

First, the idea of having vacation planners in stores is a good idea, however in the same respect it isn't. Guests need educated Cast Members to help with their vacations, however, vacation planning kiosks were located in several bigger stores when The Disney Store first began operation and their wasn't enough response to it. So Disney shut the vacation planning kiosks that were located in stores down. What sets apart the Disney Travel Agent versus your standard mall travel agent? If Disney had done cheaper vacation packages or something to make Guests visit the Disney Travel Agent versus the standard mall travel agent, I'm sure there would have been more of a response. I'm sure DVC kiosks would suffer the same fate. Besides, if DVC was to be sold ANYWHERE, you would need a model home to show the Guest what they are buying. What Disney Store do you know, that has room for that plus the actual store? Woodfield Mall in Chicago, already has a Disney Store plus a one-of-a-kind store called Doorway to Dreams where they specifically sell DVC. Who knows, in the future more of these stores may open up across the US depending on what regions buy a lot of DVC.

Second, the quality of merchandise, yes has gone down a bit, but it is still excellent. Disney still approves all of our products, so if they felt it wasn't up to Disney standards, we wouldn't be selling it. Remember the days when the stores first opened, and shirts were EXPENSIVE! It's great to now be able to get Disney shirts for $9.50 or 2 for $15 nowadays. Much cheaper than the park prices.

Thirdly, yes the stores were performing poorly before Disney sold us, however I very much feel that that is due to TOO MANY Disney Stores around the US and I also feel that Disney screwed us when they began selling Disney products at other stores (I.E. Wal-Mart, Target, etc.). It has already been stated to us CMS and the public that if Disney regains control of our company, they will be closing 112 Disney Stores across North America. That would then leave only 223 stores, that works out to be roughly 4-5 stores per state instead of the now 20+ stores in some states. That will help make the Disney Store experience a little more special as there isn't going to be a Disney Store in every mall.

Fourth, yes Disney Store does need to get back into selling collectibles. They were a huge money maker for the stores and I was saddened when they took them away. I have so many Guests that ask for them all the time. My only concern is, usually our Guests will ask for something and when we finally begin selling it, it doesn't sell very well. But, I think we need more one of a kind Disney Store products.

Fifth, Disney Store does not sell DVDs for $29, we sell that at the Buena Vista (now Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment) list price of $19.98. Yes it is a bit ridiculous, but we can't control what Disney wants us to sell it for. We have to sell it for what Disney tells us as we are still respresenting the Disney name. We do still offer pre-orders for films where you get a four lithograph set and a 15% coupon (which I think needs to turn into something more exciting).

Sixth, Yes, the Disney Stores currently sell TONS of children's clothes. Do you think maybe that could be because Children's Place knows only children's clothes? However, in the past two years we have carried more and more adult selections. The problem is that Guests had been requesting Adult clothes more and more and then we finally got them and now Guest only buy them when they are onsale if they even buy them then.

Seventh, the Disney Store designs are aweful. I get tons of comments from Guests all the time saying that they only like the stores that have the characters at the top (i.e. Pink & Green stores and Piperail stores). They hate the newer stores (Millenium and Castle). Children's Place created a new store design (Mickey) that Disney hated so much, they put a stop on their construction and now we have a BRAND NEW store design (Pixie Dust) that is rolling out to all the Mickey stores first. There are currently 21 of these stores, and I have seen the prototype and pictures of the ones that have opened and they are amazing. They ARE Disney. It basically is an updated version of the Pink & Green stores. Complete with changing color lights, animation (characters at the top of the stores), sparkling floors, great merchandise set-up. It is not a bland vanilla looking store anymore. Now of course, most will look pretty much the same versus where pretty much every Pink & Green is different from another, but with less stores there will be less comparing of stores.

Finally, I want to cover the section that is near and dear to my heart. The Disney Parks. While, we don't have vacation planners anymore, Disney has made every Cast Meber at the stores take a quiz to see what they know about the Parks. Those few Cast Members that got 100% of their quizzes, received a special Disney Parks Where Dreams COme True magnet pin. By seeing a CM wear this pin, the Guest should know that that is a CM who is qualified to answer any of your Disney Parks questions. If the CM you're talking too doesn't have that pin on letting you know they are qualified, ask them to speak to a CM who is and they will gladly transfer you, because I'm sure no TDS CM would want to screw up anyone's vacation by giving them the wrong information. We all have to realize that besides the older original TDS CMs and the VERY SELECT FEW who are huge Disney fans, most CMs just look at this as another job and some are just their for their discounts and free park tickets. If they have that outlook, why would they care to be well educated on everything Disney?

I for one am glad to be returning to the House of Mouse. For too long, The Disney Stores have been focused on SALES, SALES, SALES and not Guest Servicing. I can't wait to be a part of the magic again and get back to the REAL Disney ways and let our guests experince the DIsney Difference.

MinnieMommie
03-23-2008, 07:29 PM
There was a time long ago when one walked into a Disney Store (when they weren't so plentiful) that it felt as if one had just traveled to WDW. The CM's were well educated about everything Disney, not glorified checkout people. The items in the store were true treasures unlike anything we could find here in Indiana. The whole experience made one crazy to get on a jet and fly to Florida so this incredible place could be seen. (Understand that I was 28 yrs before I went to WDW.) After the Children's Place bought the stores it slowly evolved into a fleamarket quality bargain basement focusing mostly on children under the age of 8. Very discouraging.
I have great hopes. I like the ideas that others have expressed of not only quality merchandise, but also education of CM's on all things Disney and even DVC. These stores could be a very effective extension of Disney.
:mickey:

I haveto agree. When I used to shop at our Disney store in CT (before it was sold out) the CMs were very knowledgeable about vacation planning and all things Disney. It was great to go to the store and talk about our vacation plans and to purchase good quality items that could not be purcheased anywhere other than Disney and through Disney. I look forward to having a more authentic Disney experience again. :mickey:

Ian
03-24-2008, 07:12 AM
Second, the quality of merchandise, yes has gone down a bit, but it is still excellent. Disney still approves all of our products, so if they felt it wasn't up to Disney standards, we wouldn't be selling it. Remember the days when the stores first opened, and shirts were EXPENSIVE! It's great to now be able to get Disney shirts for $9.50 or 2 for $15 nowadays. Much cheaper than the park prices.I can't speak for everyone, but when I talk about the decline in quality of the merchandise, I'm not referring to the clothing (which I agree is pretty good).

I'm talking about the toys and collectibles. The toys are all mass-produced, plastic, made-in-China garbage that fall apart 10 minutes after you get them home. They're also ALL THE SAME! Every single movie that comes out gets the same junk toy templates ... plastic figurines, spinning light-up thingies, plush, and playsets. It's boring. They need to inject some creativity back into their toys.

big blue and hairy
03-24-2008, 08:22 AM
:faint:

And in regards to Iger ... give the guy a little break. :faint:

I agree with everything you said, but I just had to give you a hard time about that. I remember your comments about Iger before he was named Grand Disney Poo-bah. :razz:

:sulley:

Dsnygirl
03-24-2008, 09:17 AM
I'd love to see this happen, but only if it means that the quality of the merchandise becomes better. When you walk in, the ambience is nice -- and everything looks great. But the quality of some of the items is nowhere near the value of what you pay, once you get it home -- although the t-shirts seem to last, swim suits never fit properly and the appliques don't last, and the toys? Don't even get me started on the toys.... I bought from them a few times for my girls, and never again... whoever makes their stuff makes such cheap items that most everything falls apart within months. My girls, who love everything Disney, don't even ask for Disney toys anymore b/c even the dolls aren't up to the quality of the Barbies that are out there, and they're sick of losing heads and arms or having clothes fall apart... and the fact that all of their "polly pocket" type characters fall apart so quickly is very frustrating to them, and of course, to us!!

So -- if Disney can re-structure the stores to be more competitive from a quality point of view, good for them... otherwise, you may as well order from Disney themselves over the phone!

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-24-2008, 12:59 PM
This is great news...it can't get much worse. It actually makes me sad when we go into a Disney store, and walk out with nothing...I really hope this works out...would be a great way to deal with the between trips blues!

Ian
03-24-2008, 02:56 PM
:faint::faint:

I agree with everything you said, but I just had to give you a hard time about that. I remember your comments about Iger before he was named Grand Disney Poo-bah. :razz:

:sulley:Yeah, I'll be the first one to admit I seriously doubted he could pull it off, but thus far I'm encouraged.

That's not to say I think he's been perfect or anything, but he's done a lot good so far ... more good than bad, really.

I'm willing to give him another couple years and see what he can get done.

Mickey91
03-25-2008, 12:24 AM
[QUOTE]
Second, the quality of merchandise, yes has gone down a bit, but it is still excellent. Disney still approves all of our products, so if they felt it wasn't up to Disney standards, we wouldn't be selling it. Remember the days when the stores first opened, and shirts were EXPENSIVE! It's great to now be able to get Disney shirts for $9.50 or 2 for $15 nowadays. Much cheaper than the park prices.

Disney approving of the merchandise does not necessarily mean top quality. Disney, even in the parks lately, have been more into mass producing generic merchandise instead of quality one of a kind, can only find it at WDW Magic Kingdom stuff.

Thirdly, yes the stores were performing poorly before Disney sold us, however I very much feel that that is due to TOO MANY Disney Stores around the US and I also feel that Disney screwed us when they began selling Disney products at other stores (I.E. Wal-Mart, Target, etc.). It has already been stated to us CMS and the public that if Disney regains control of our company, they will be closing 112 Disney Stores across North America. That would then leave only 223 stores, that works out to be roughly 4-5 stores per state instead of the now 20+ stores in some states. That will help make the Disney Store experience a little more special as there isn't going to be a Disney Store in every mall.

I think being able to get the merchandise at a discount store hurt the Disney Store, but more so the quality of merchandise available versus the price. I am authentic Disney all the way. But, if I can get a less expensive, BETTER MADE shirt at Walmart that is 20 min down the road instead of a poorly made cheap quality more expensive shirt at the Disney Store an hour away, I will buy from Walmart. I will say that I always bought from the Disney Store before the quality started to suffer. And that was when the first head guy of the stores (sorry I forget his name and title) was no longer in the picture and someone else took over. The focus went from customer satisfaction and Disney quality to mass production, making it cheap and making a greater profit. Plus, that is when you started entering the store and having every cast member jump down your throat with the newest deals and sales etc. I felt like I was on a used car lot and still do sometimes.

I also don't think it would be so great to have to drive 4 hours to go to a Disney Store. I can't see why, if the merchandise is of good quality, the number of stores and the availability of Disney to some of us living far off, is a problem.

Fourth, yes Disney Store does need to get back into selling collectibles. They were a huge money maker for the stores and I was saddened when they took them away. I have so many Guests that ask for them all the time. My only concern is, usually our Guests will ask for something and when we finally begin selling it, it doesn't sell very well. But, I think we need more one of a kind Disney Store products.

Sometimes when you get something that everyone has been asking for, it is just a cheapened shell of what the customers really want. Again I am screaming quality!!

Sixth, Yes, the Disney Stores currently sell TONS of children's clothes. Do you think maybe that could be because Children's Place knows only children's clothes? However, in the past two years we have carried more and more adult selections. The problem is that Guests had been requesting Adult clothes more and more and then we finally got them and now Guest only buy them when they are onsale if they even buy them then.

It's because instead of fun whimsical designs, they are loaded with UGLY artwork, the cut of the Ladies T's are not designed for anyone of size, even the XL, and the pants etc. all have funky, ugly stuff all over them. Why not have classic classy styles for adults? Normal T-shirts with a simple design of the characters?

Now of course, most will look pretty much the same versus where pretty much every Pink & Green is different from another, but with less stores there will be less comparing of stores.

And less chances for everyone to be able to go to the stores.

Here we go again...
03-25-2008, 08:04 AM
First let me tell you about a problem I had at a Disney Store recently.
I went to exchange an item I got at Disney Store online. After shopping and spending over $200 on Swim suits, towels, and plush for my grandkids for Easter I realized that the lady CHARGED me for my return instead of crediting it. Since I was buying a park ticket also she put the overcharge and the original return on 2 gift cards (instead of my credit card) and said we would apply that to the purchase of the tickets. Guess what? You can not use a gift card to buy a park ticket....
By this time it was crazy busy in the store so I left... with $200 worth of merchandise, a $281 park ticket and 2 gift cards for the Disney Store with $60 each on them. The problem? The closest Disney store to me is over an hour away and I am stuck with 2 card with store credit on them. I was mad.
I called their 800# for customer service and got their "24 hour customer service line". It was a recording asking me to leave a message. I left 4 messages over 2 weeks, the last one being kind of ugly telling them that after having a problem in the store the last thing I wanted to deal with was a problem with customer service.
That was over a month ago... I still have not received a call back.
I happened to be in the Biloxi area and went into the Disney Store there. The district manager was in the store and I talked to him about what happened. He was able to help me out and make the cards work toward the purchase of another park ticket. The last thing I wanted was to be stuck with $120 in store credit for something the manager messed up on and have to worry that the store could close at any time.

I hope this is true... Disney Stores have been selling junk since Children's Place took over... Hopefully the quality of merchandise goes up once Disney takes over again....
I am with you on this. I would pay more than the walmart price if I could get the quality they once had.
But think about what we are seeing in the parks now. It used to be that we could find different merchandise in every park... now it is the same thing over and over again... year after year.

It would be nice to see Disney get the stores back, but I have to say that the couple stores I've shopped at over the last year have had beautiful women's and men's clothing. High quality, nicely designed and more modern styles. I've gotten beautiful hoodies, jeans, tees, skirts and purses. I've also gotten beautiful Tink statues, and some really nice canvas artwork.
You must have a large Disney store. The one in Baton Rouge carries kids stuff and one small table of adult shirts.

disneydude1
03-25-2008, 12:09 PM
To all of those that have replied to my earlier post,

Yes I agree that the toys are made from junk, they are cheap and break very easily. Quality of toys is very important but as I stated earlier I still believe the clothing is still of good qaulity.

By the way, DIsney Stores make the PVC Figure sets and plush for every movie because those are our number two top toys. They sell, kids love them and so do some adults. But we do need more that just the same I agree, but the figure sets and plush should always remain.

Also, Disney Stores no longer carry lightchasers.

Also, if Disney Parks merchandise is going down in quality, why should we expect anything different at the stores and why are we only bashing the stores for not good quality merchandise when the parks carry the same selection every year with whatever the newest celebration logo is on it.

I agree that you should shop where the better quality is, I was just saying that Disney screwed the stores over by selling their merchandise at non Disney Stores. The prices are NOT bad, they used to be much worse. What they need to due from the sound of it, is pull the third party stores merchandise and sell it at the Disney Stores meaning better quality and great prices. And then no Disney Store competition.

When I talk about collectibles here I am talking about one a kind things that the stores used to sell not newer things like snowglobes and canvas art.

Yes, I agree that the ladies tees are not made for humans. No one can fit into them, so many women guests buy mens tees cause that what they fit into. However, our Adult Collection does have rather YUCK designs, our adult t-shirt collection usually always has whimsical designs, but once again goes into the fact that no one can fit into them.

Finally, I can't help it that Disney will be closing 112 stores. I know that means less guests being able to shop because of their locations, but their are too many for their own good. I think Disney would look at demographics to determine what stores to keep. We CMs at the store have already been told within the next month, we will be finding out which stores will be closing for sure.

My thinking on Disney buying the stores back again, is that some of the BIGGER stores may turn into World of DIsney stores such as the San Francisco Post Street and Chicago Michigan Avenue stores.

I get that the quality needs to be there, I mainly wrote what i wrote because I felt as though the DIsney Stores were being bashed and I wanted to post my thoughts. But if the parks who are Disney carry junk, why should the stores carry any better and why are we not bashing the parks merchandise?

Only time will tell what is to become of all of this, but I would love to see merchandise that is the Disney we all love appear in the stores again.

GrumpyFan
03-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Disneydude1 don't take this the wrong way, but you sound defensive of TDS. That's not necessarily a bad thing, mind you, it tells me you take pride in your job and your store, which is a rare find considering how the stores have been mishandled over the years. But, I might advise that you not take the comments here so personal, they're not aimed at you, but rather the Disney company. Hopefully, this new direction will make for some positive changes, and your store won't be one of those that are closed. Thanks for the input though.

SurferStitch
03-25-2008, 12:56 PM
You must have a large Disney store. The one in Baton Rouge carries kids stuff and one small table of adult shirts.

Yes, we have one of the largest ones. We have the figures running along the top of the store, the large screen showing videos, everything. Lots of kids clothes and toys, adult clothing and accessories, snowglobes, garden items (statues, etc.), plush, beanies, holiday decorations, mugs, canvas artwork, home decor, etc. The clothing is really high quality....much, much better than Target or WalMart. They don't compare to the style and quality that I can get at our DS (and when on sale, I get it cheaper than I would at WalMart, too).

I've also started shopping at a DS Outlet in Hershey, PA. Even bigger than our DS in Allentown.

I also love the fact that the DS sells smaller womens tops (really, they're no smaller than at other clothing stores....a small there usually fits larger than a small at the Limited, Cache or Express). I wear a small or medium regularly (depends), and it's nice to have slimmer fitting tees and hoodies. I've found the smalls in the DS to fit perfectly, especially in the modern fits. They don't look so boxy and loose. I also like the fact that the adult designs are more classy, and less cartoony (unlike the adult tees). I don't like huge cartoons on my chest. The jeans, polos, etc. have smaller touches on them, and that's what I like. I do buy the adult tees, but I only wear them as PJ's or loungewear.

DizneyRox
03-25-2008, 12:57 PM
... But if the parks who are Disney carry junk, why should the stores carry any better and why are we not bashing the parks merchandise?
I've bene doing that for years. Pretty much everything in the past few years (post Millennium celebration) has been horrible in terms of quality and selection. I don't buy Disney merchandise pretty much anymore, I know it will break/shrink/fall apart, etc.

I remember spending close to $1.5K at the World of Disney store one trip. These days, I find it hard to spend even close to $100. Same thing with the Disney Stores. I haven't found the need/desire to even head into one since before CP took over. TDS was always a red headed step child of TWDC, even though, attendence wise, they beat the parks. How Disney messed up the marketing of The Disney Store as a destination, I'm not sure, must have been the same bean counters responsible for ABC Family, DCA, etc.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if Disney can recover from the downward spiral that is TDS. It would be nice, but it's going to be a tough sell, something that I'm not sure the current management team will be able to stomach. I can't imagine why they would even consider taking them back, why not let CP take the financial hit in shuttering them?

Ian
03-25-2008, 01:51 PM
By the way, DIsney Stores make the PVC Figure sets and plush for every movie because those are our number two top toys. They sell, kids love them and so do some adults. But we do need more that just the same I agree, but the figure sets and plush should always remain.

Also, Disney Stores no longer carry lightchasers.That's not any kind of store policy that I'm aware of, because my DS has tons of lightchasers.

In regards to the plush and PVC sets ... I don't doubt that they're popular sellers, but that's most likely because they're sort of the least junky of all the stuff they sell.

To me, this is a problem Disney has developed in recent years. They assume that just because people accept something they offer that it's somehow adequate or acceptable.

If you're starving and someone offers you some baloney, you're gonna eat it. That doesn't mean that you would prefer a filet.

Here we go again...
03-25-2008, 10:34 PM
I've bene doing that for years. Pretty much everything in the past few years (post Millennium celebration) has been horrible in terms of quality and selection. I don't buy Disney merchandise pretty much anymore, I know it will break/shrink/fall apart, etc.

I remember spending close to $1.5K at the World of Disney store one trip. These days, I find it hard to spend even close to $100.
You are soooo right. I used to spend so much money in the WOD and now I can walk out with nothing. I am so tired of looking at the same thing over and over again.
I remember days that we would hit our limit on our room charge just because we shopped too much. Now we spend our money on something better... food. :tasty: :D

disneydude1
03-26-2008, 12:48 AM
Just want to get this out there. I am not getting offended by any comments. I am a very dedicated cast member and if you all could meet me I'm sure you would agree just by talking to me. I take the time to learn as much as I can about disney unlike many of my fellow CMs and so many guests are impressed by that. I love disney.

I understand all the comments on here and hope that it all gets fixed in the future cause I love when my guests are happy and satisfied and I would love for the stores to become destination stores again and I think there is a chance that they will be again.

Also, btw lightchasers are as of now park exclusive merchandise, any that are left over at any stores are sale and once they are gone, they are gone. Also the stores no longer carry antenna toppers and will stop carrying socks and underwear.

Ian
03-26-2008, 08:42 AM
You are soooo right. I used to spend so much money in the WOD and now I can walk out with nothing. I am so tired of looking at the same thing over and over again.
I remember days that we would hit our limit on our room charge just because we shopped too much. Now we spend our money on something better... food. :tasty: :DOh man ... I can so identify with this. I used to spend a small fortune in that place!

CaptSmee
03-26-2008, 10:29 PM
I would like to see Disney run it's own stores again, and like everyone else carry quality merchandise. Maybe even exclusive merchandise. I think they have spread their wings too far and need to reel them back in a little.

d_m_n_n
04-02-2008, 05:17 AM
TDS have changed so much we don't even bother walking in. Before we would wander in to listen to Disney music and see what movie was playing on the screen (and of course walking out with a treat). And I admit I was one of the goofs that used to sit down and watch the movie with the kids :blush: . Now I can't stand to even walk through the door. And when I do venture in for my Disney "fix" I walk to the back and right out the front...nothing catches my eys. :( I don't get the chance to go to WDW as often as I wish and this was my only outlet.

honeebee86
04-04-2008, 10:56 AM
I wasn't sure if anyone had put up a post on this yet. Disney is soon to be taking over 2/3 of the Disney Stores which are currently under contol of the Children's Place. This means that Disney will be closing a little over 100 remaining stores. I work at the Portland, Maine Disney Store and we have yet to know whether we are on the list of stores that are closing. I will try to keep everyone who is curious updated on this matter. We are all just on the edge of our seats at the store. If anyone else had any other information regarding this, I would really appreciate you all letting us know. Thank You and everyone cross their fingers that we doen't end up closing:fingers:

MMouse6937
04-04-2008, 12:02 PM
I will defnately keep my fingers crossed for you, I have seen your posts and I know how much you like working there.

I am a little hopefully that Disney is taking back over the stores as I haven't been real happy with the selection there in the past. I guess only time will tell.

Hopefully your store will stay open! Take care!

DizneyRox
04-04-2008, 12:57 PM
SOP at Disney will be to NOT announce who is closing... If/when they do that, the staff tends to disappear leaving them high and dry...

It is good news though I think that Disney will take back the stores.

IloveDisney71
04-04-2008, 01:05 PM
I wonder if this had anything to do with the Disney Outlet store, near my house, closing a few months ago? I miss going there!
I hate to hear that Disney will be closing stores, but I'm hoping their stock will improve with the takeover.

Goofyjrzgrl
04-04-2008, 01:08 PM
we just found out our store will be staying open. but 2 stores nearby will be closing =( good luck with your store. this is such a hard time for so many people... you and the rest of the cast will be in our thoughts.

honeebee86
04-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Thank you all for your kind thoughts. I will let the rest of my Cast know that Intercot is thinking of us! I know that if we are one of the lucky stores that remain open, the perks of working there will be great! I was going to be leaving soon to go to college in Sarasota, but the idea of my Cast losing their jobs (some have been there over 15yrs) just makes me so sad. I'll keep updating this when I find out more. Glad to know that some stores already know their status, cause we haven't been told anything yet.

DisneyDog
04-04-2008, 02:07 PM
I read about this recently. I hope the store near me stays open. It's in the Court at King of Prussia, which is part of the largest retail shopping mall on the East Coast, 2nd largest in the country. So, hopefully they will consider it to be prime real estate.

There is a new outlet mall near me that just opened in November. They are planning on opening a Disney Outlet store within the next month. I wonder if stores under construction will still open or if they will abandon ship?

kakn7294
04-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Good luck to you. We lost our store in Jan but fortunately, there is another one 30 min away. Hopefully it's not on the list to close or I might just cry.

mickey&missy
04-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Wow! I hadn't heard about this! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and all the cast at your store!

We just got a new store suprisingly. We have an outlet mall about 10 minutes from my house and the "Disney Outlet" opened in Feb. It's a great store! It's very big and has a section of clearance "outlet" stuff but the majority of the store is a regular disney store.

crazypoohbear
04-04-2008, 08:45 PM
I really hope that your store stays open.
I hope that ours here in MA stays open as well. It's kinda strange that we are at the store so much that we know the cast members life stories and where and when they vacation at disney. Our store manager goes to the same church as I do, kinda strange seeing him at the 7:30am mass, (he has to go then because he works all day saturday and sunday) Kudo's to him for making the time for his faith though!

I really hope that when Disney takes back over the quality of the merchandise goes back up and the home goods come back. Along with some Plus size clothes.
Oh, and I hope the Cast members get back their disney perks as well.

SO.... Good luck everyone

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-05-2008, 12:27 AM
Our store at Solomon Pond Mall is one of the few stores that retained it's original facade. They didn't "dumb" it up to make it look like a regular nothing special store. So I hope that plays a part in the decision. The only other store near us is in Burlington which is about 45 minutes away.
Honeebee86, I hope your store stays open and you get all the old perks of working for Disney back again. And good luck with the college plans. You'll be so close to WDW!

Tinkerfreak
04-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Honeebee86 I was just in your store on Sunday and looked for you but I could not remember your name. I talked to the other cm and they are all really nice. I really hope they keep the Portland store open. There are no other stores that I know of in Maine so hopefully your store has a good chance.

DisneyWhirled
04-05-2008, 03:12 PM
I wasn't sure if anyone had put up a post on this yet. Disney is soon to be taking over 2/3 of the Disney Stores which are currently under contol of the Children's Place. This means that Disney will be closing a little over 100 remaining stores. I work at the Portland, Maine Disney Store and we have yet to know whether we are on the list of stores that are closing. I will try to keep everyone who is curious updated on this matter. We are all just on the edge of our seats at the store. If anyone else had any other information regarding this, I would really appreciate you all letting us know. Thank You and everyone cross their fingers that we doen't end up closing:fingers:

OMG!! I am always in your store....it can't close! It pretty much is one of my only reasons for going to the mall these days!

I know a lot of your co-workers! Mat And Beth are awesome...I probably have met you, too!

Good luck...I know we will be keeping our fingers crossed!!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-07-2008, 07:28 PM
I just got unofficial confirmation that the Marlboro store IS staying. I guess Burlington, MA has already closed. Rumor has it that they are filming a movie there and Martin Scorcese (sp?) was willing to pay more in rent. That store was very plain anyway because it was just a temporary location.

Mollywobbles
04-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Today I saw the list of stores that Disney is wanting to purchase and my store (6589-Bel Air Mall in Mobile, Alabama) is on it. I read the wrong list at first and I started crying. I've worked there going on 13 years. It would be hard for me to let go.

I'm thrilled at the possibility to be once again working for the Walt Disney Company. I hope that under their leadership we will be the success that I know we can be.

Lucille
04-07-2008, 11:44 PM
I am wondering where "my" Disney Store stands in all of this. Any information about the Chicago store?

Tinkerfreak
04-08-2008, 02:02 PM
I would love to see the list to find out if the Portland, Maine store is safe or not.

Kerry
04-12-2008, 10:33 PM
As of right now Maine Mall is safe. The store is in my district and so far only 2 stores are slated for closing. They are Phesant Lane in Nashua and Mall of New Hampshire in Manchester. Remember this is not set in stone and can change at any time. The "aquired" stores are the ones Disney will be buying back, however they could also close them once the sale goes through. Iam lucky my store is safe, so far. I have been there for 15 years and have stuck it out through Hoop because of our cast amd my love for the product.

meldan98
04-14-2008, 11:58 AM
I went to the Roseville, CA store this weekend and they said they didn't know if they were on the chopping block or not. But they did know that at as of May 1, they will be owned by Disney again. We have another store at the Arden Fair Mall in Sacramento, so I can't imagine that they will keep both stores open. I don't know if this makes a difference or not, but the Arden store has the big sparkly Mickey in front, but the Roseville store is still themed with the fab 5.

mjstaceyuofm
04-17-2008, 03:23 PM
Personally, I'd love to see the Disney Stores in the Metro Detroit area shut down. It would force me to go to WDW to get my merchandise...

elmjimmlm
04-22-2008, 02:23 PM
I know that the store in Charleston WV closed about a month ago...:(

Sweetcheekssz
04-23-2008, 07:04 PM
The Disney Store that i work at - Broadway Mall Hicksville, New York - was bought by Disney and we are remaining open. I am so excited! I'm really happy that Disney is gaining control of the stores again. :mickey:

SurferStitch
04-25-2008, 12:25 PM
I was talking to a CM in my DS in Allentown, PA, and the store is safe! They said they got a camera from HQ for taking their employee pics for their Disney name tags, so that's a great sign!

I asked about the new Disney outlet that opened in Hershey, PA recently, and apparently that one is on the chopping block. They said it's on the hit list, so even though it's brand new, it looks like it will be going away. Too bad....it was pretty nice. There is also one in Harrisburg that is closing, too. There are two in close proximity, so they said the older, smaller one is closing.

Oh well, at least mine is sticking around!!! :thumbsup:

GothMickey
04-25-2008, 12:36 PM
How do we get a list of the stores that are being shut?

DisneyDudet
04-26-2008, 04:53 PM
The CM at one of the malls with a Disney Store side they were going to be open, I believe. She talked about the buyback, and that they are hoping that the merch selection will go back to what it used to be, kids and adult stuff.

I hope the one CLOSEST to me stays open. They never went down for a overhaul, so they look like the GOOD Disney stores! I have yet to hear if they will stay open, but there's always a crowd there, so if Disney wants money, they'd be smart to keep it open!

disneydude1
04-28-2008, 01:53 AM
In case anyone is interested my store 6557 spring hill mall is staying open.

Btw chicago mich. Ave. Is staying open as well for those of you that asked.

Also, just because a store got the camera doesn't mean its staying open. Because stores won't begin closing till june, all cms need an ID even if there store is closing. Regardless of if its only for a month or long term.

The list can be on a number of bankruptcy sites regarding hoop retail and disney asset purchase agreement.

Also, my store manager told me that disney may be reconsidering how many stores to close. I'm sure more details will be announced very soon. Already, there are suppossed to be big announcements for store managers throughout the day today (monday april 28). My SM also said we are expecting different types of merchandise planned for next year, so maybe better disney quality is coming but we may have to wait till 2009 for it.

Here's to looking forward to Thursday for everyone.

Finally, I should note to all TDS CMs, we were told not to discuss the buyback onstage whether it be with guests or fellow cast members. We were told not to talk about anything until things are official, so discussing store closures wouldn't be in ordinance with what we were told. With it being only 4 days away, it doesn't matter anymore, but know that we were asked not to discuss it, atleast onstage.

Hayden's Dad
04-28-2008, 09:28 AM
I talked to the manager at the one here in Greensboro, and she said they weren't sure if they were staying open or not an dthat they probably wouldn't know for a few months. Hopefully they will keep at least one of the ones within driving distance open here in NC