PDA

View Full Version : DCL Remaining at Port Canaveral for 15 More Years

Ed
03-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Deal will keep Disney cruise ships at Port Canaveral for 15 years

Jason Garcia
Sentinel Staff Writer
2:43 PM EDT, March 19, 2008

After more than a year of negotiations, Disney Cruise Line and Port Canaveral struck a deal this afternoon that will keep Disney ships sailing out of Brevard County for the next 15 years.

Under the deal, Disney will commit to basing the two mega-cruise ships it is building -- which are scheduled to arrive in 2011 and 2012 -- at Canaveral through at least 2014.

Disney also agreed that all of its vessels will make a combined 150 calls a year at Canaveral through 2022.

Disney also will pay $22 million in port upgrades -- including dock extensions, terminal expansion and environmental upgrades. The port will borrow the money for the upgrades tax-free, but Disney has pledged to pay the debt service.

Canaveral will spend between $8 and $10 million to build a 1,000-space parking garage.

The upgrades must be complete Oct. 1, 2010.

Canaveral also announced an agreement with Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. to deploy a freedom class cruise ship to Port Canaveral in May 2009. It will immediately become the largest cruise ship sailing from Brevard County.

Copyright © 2008, Orlando Sentinel

Turk82
03-19-2008, 04:46 PM
I think this is good news...but I really hope they aren't doing MAJOR construction when I'm there in Nov. The pictures look so pretty and I am excited to see it in real life...what a shame if it is a construction zone!

SgtTigger
03-19-2008, 08:11 PM
This does back up what someone said the captain said on a cruise.....

Good news as far as I am concerned.......

:cop: :tigger:

ElenitaB
03-19-2008, 10:01 PM
I know I didn't say it, Bret, but it does reflect what Capt John told us at the Castaway Club gathering in February! :thumbsup:

Tinkermom
03-20-2008, 06:59 PM
WOOT! :mjump::minnie::mjump:

I can't wait to try one of the new ships! I think we are officially hooked on cruising now. All it takes is :spend: :D

wendy*darling
03-20-2008, 08:00 PM
:mickey: Good news!

So, even though we haven't done our first cruise yet, I am already thinking of our second. :secret:
It's good to know the new ships will dock there too.

ElenitaB
03-20-2008, 08:26 PM
Linda, be sure to bring some :chest: and :twocents: with you on your first cruise then. Rebooking onboad is a beautiful thing (the incentives are quite nice)! :thumbsup:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-22-2008, 11:13 PM
I'm glad they're staying at that port. It's so convenient to drive there from the World. Although I'm not sure when my next cruise will be.