PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR vs. Other

Quest4fun
03-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Being a long time racing fan I find myself looking more towards some of the other races that are held around the world.

I've been to several NASCAR events and there's nothing like it. I've also been to (and competed in) several Rally Cross shows. I went to one Long Beach Grand Prix and I must say there's a little more going on with the other guys. Twists and turns accompanied by very high speeds.

I can understand that NASCAR drivers are driving very fast bumper to bumper but every driver on I-80 through Omaha can say the same thing. I actually think I know why they drive the way they do now. I'll look for Dale Sr. Stickers on their cars.

I just think NASCAR could do more to make it more interesting to watch. I don't watch it enough to follow specific drivers which is probably why I don't find myself in front of the TV every Sunday watching the oval.

Who should I be watching? I want to pick a few drivers and maybe buy a shirt with their likeness on it.

:number1:

medic9016
03-18-2008, 04:24 PM
If you are asking who to root for in Nascar, You will be opening a big can of worms. Nascar loyalty runs deep with Teams, drivers, and car manufactures along with sponsors. You will get 100 differnt reasons to like one driver over another if you ask 100 people. Good luck.

Quest4fun
03-18-2008, 05:15 PM
If you are asking who to root for in Nascar, You will be opening a big can of worms. Nascar loyalty runs deep with Teams, drivers, and car manufactures along with sponsors. You will get 100 differnt reasons to like one driver over another if you ask 100 people. Good luck.

Maybe it will help if I say that I don't root for anybody driving a Chevrolet. I'm sure that will draw some ire from the minions of Dale Sr.

I like to root for the middle of pack guys that have a chance. I don't want to find myself cheering for underdog who's prior training involves a lot of turning right. I don't think he stands a chance. :D

JanetMegan
03-19-2008, 11:23 AM
Whew just get me started on NASCAR ;)

Ok here's the thing, I wholeheartdly believe that the more you are into NASCAR, the more you love it. The more you learn about it, the more you root for people, the more you know, the more you cheer and so forth.

One thing that I think REALLY helps with this is playing a Fantasy Nascar game, I know there are a couple out there that you can join mid-season, including one on nascar.com that is a "streak game" where all you do each week is pick someone who you think may finish in the top ten.

Following along and knowing the drivers really helps with the enjoyment of the sport.

That being said-middle of the pack guys who I like a lot (I'll leave out any Chevys)...

00-David Reutimann-Drives for Toyota, he gets one of my most improved awards from last year. Plus how can you not like a guy who drives the double zero car?

18-Kyle Busch-Another Toyota, but for a different team. I'm probably cheating by listing the current points leader, but last year he was a mid-pack driver for sure. Gutsy, slightly arrogant, young and can be a hot head. He will either be a champion or he will run his own downfall.

99-Carl Edwards-Mr. Smile-y I call him, drives a Ford, the perfect gentleman, well until he almost sucker punches a teammate at the end of the season last year. Plus who doesn't love a guy who does a backflip off his car after each win?

07-Robby Gordon-He's driving a Dodge this year-He's one of my personal faves. He's one of the last two single car owner/driver teams out there. Everything he does directly effects him. There is a level of accountability for he and Kyle Petty (the other owner/driver out there) that just doesn't exist for other drivers to me. He's also a darn good driver of almost anything, open wheel, NASCAR, etc.

So there ya go, there is a very brief mix of four drivers who I personally like, I would call all of them "middle of the pack guys" at this point. No superstars like Jimmie Johnson, Jeff Gordon or Tony Stewart, and I left out any other Chevys too ;)

Quest4fun
03-19-2008, 04:31 PM
99-Carl Edwards-Mr. Smile-y I call him, drives a Ford, the perfect gentleman, well until he almost sucker punches a teammate at the end of the season last year. Plus who doesn't love a guy who does a backflip off his car after each win?

Found my NASCAR hero!

handmaidenofprincesses
03-26-2008, 09:48 AM

Carl Edwards rocks lol. I am originally a Kahne fan, but he did a few really dumb things last year that kinda turned me off... (That, and now that Bud is his sponsor, I can't buy any of his merch.. there's some law in my state that you have to be 21 to buy anything even alcohol related, and that's still 3 years off, so...) But Carl is great. He's definitely the class-act of the field and he's really entertaining... (though sometimes a bit odd.. check out his chase is on interview of himself on youtube)

btw, I don't think he really intended to hit matt Kenseth.. just make him flinch ;) If he had really hit him the cat in the hat would've had his head!

JanetMegan
03-26-2008, 10:36 AM
Personally I would have liked for him to hit him ;) I'm a big Kahne fan as well, I'm hoping he has a much better year this year. Evernham was so off the mark with last year.

Marker
03-26-2008, 09:28 PM
NASCAR or otherwise, I love racing. I love to watch open wheel racing, road coarse racing, drag racing, motorcycles, boats, airplanes, go-karts. But I grew up watching stock car racing both live and whenever they showed a race on TV (believe it or not, they used to only show a few races, and then only pieces of it).

I've seen some of the names we all know racing on dirt tracks around here. Carl Edwards, Clint Bowyer, Tony Stewart, Rusty, Mike an Kenny Wallace, Ken Schrader, and many other. The first "know" racer I remember seeing was Lake Speed at the state fair in Sedalia Missouri.

I know the current NASCAR can no longer really be considered stock car racing, but it is the top of that style of racing.

As my dad was a Ford employee, I grew up cheering for drivers in Fords. And of course I have to cheer for the guys from here in Missouri (Edwards, McMurray, Schrader, the Wallaces), and even Bowyer even though he's from the Kansas side of the line.

I really wish the scheduling on Memorial day would still allow for a couple of drivers to drive in both Indy 500 and the Coca-Cola 600 in Charlotte. I thought it was the coolest thing the year Tony Stewart finished 6th in the Indy 500, only to finish the day finishing 3rd in Charlotte. I'd like to see that again. I love to Dario Franchitti attempt do defend his Indy win, and still make the NASCAR race.

I guess what I'm saying is, I love racing, and I love NASCAR.

Speedy1998
03-26-2008, 09:53 PM
18-Kyle Busch-Another Toyota, but for a different team. I'm probably cheating by listing the current points leader, but last year he was a mid-pack driver for sure. Gutsy, slightly arrogant, young and can be a hot head. He will either be a champion or he will run his own downfall.

I Think Kyle will be a Champion one day, when he matures enough to know when to back off. Right now he either blows away the competion or puts the car in the wall. He will never win the championship if he finishes 1st one week and 43rd the next.

MushuMulan
03-26-2008, 11:15 PM
Firstly I have to say that, in my opinion, one of the major draw factors for NASCAR, is the crashes. I don't know what it is, and it is a bit sad, but a lot of people enjoy seeing crashes.

All that aside though, I'd have to put my loyalty to Kevin Harvick, driving the No. 29 Shell/Penzoil car. I admire him because for one, he's pulled an ailing franchise (Penzoil Racing) into the lime-light, and gotten the team a good amount of wins. I mean even though, it is officially more Shell than Penzoil, it still bares the name.

But, honestly, I'm not an avid watcher of NASCAR, I watch it once and a while when I channel surf, so if you wanted an experienced opinion, mine would not be the one to take.

busterthebronco
03-27-2008, 02:39 PM
it a process of elimination.
you've started by knocking out all chevys, dodges, and toyotas.
next you dont like the favorite so that gets a few out.
now do the local boy thing.
pick someone from you home state or close to it.
try old school vs rookie.
sponsors are big.
you may like budweiser or you may like m&m's.
last just pick about three guys.
your favorite,next favorite, and a guy you wouldnt mind seeing win.
the deal that makes racin' different is it's not just two groups of fans that might win like in a ball game.
there are 43 cars and 43 groups of fans each with a shot a victory lane each week!

CaptainSad
04-08-2008, 10:10 PM
I have been to races at Las Vegas and New Hampshire, what I consider my home track. I have followed NASCAR for a number of years. I was a fan of the late Dale Earnhardt. The greatest driver ever. You all may say Richard Petty might be the best. But that was a different time. The reason he won so many races is because they used to race a lot more races back then. If he was in his prime now with the COT, I really don't think he would win that much. I now follow Dale Jr. I think changing teams will show what he is made of. I think he will win a Championship if not this year, next year. I have a problem with some of the newer drivers. To cocky if you ask me. Kyle and Kurt Busch have got to stop thinking the world owes them something. The open wheel drivers should stay in open wheel. There are a lot of drivers that deserve a chance to get into a Sprint Cup Car.

Marker
04-13-2008, 06:47 PM
You all may say Richard Petty might be the best. But that was a different time. The reason he won so many races is because they used to race a lot more races back then. If he was in his prime now with the COT, I really don't think he would win that much.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I think some of those legendary drivers would probably do pretty well. The cars they drove were still actually stock cars. Heavy, ill-handling, stock cars. I think they'd adapt pretty quickly to the heavier, less aerodynamic, COT.

I have a problem with some of the newer drivers. To cocky if you ask me.

"Too cocky"??? And this from a Dale Earnhardt fan. I think some level of cockiness just comes with that level of competitiveness.

The open wheel drivers should stay in open wheel.

So are you including all open wheel drivers? Tony Stewart, Jeff Gordon, Robbie Gordon, among others?

There are a lot of drivers that deserve a chance to get into a Sprint Cup Car.

In my opinion, just because you began your career driving an open wheel care shouldn't exclude you. I say, bring on the best drivers, regardless of who they are, where they're from, or what they've driven in the past.