PDA

View Full Version : HELP! My teenage sons are Disney'd Out!

WishingStar2006
03-17-2008, 11:15 AM
Ok, I am a confessed Disney-a holic :number1:and would visit the world many times a year if time and budget allowed. And in the past 7-8 years, I have done just that, taking my sons to the happiest place on earth and having a great family vacation :trio:each and every time.

Well, they are now 18 and 19, I took them twice last year (once for two weeks and once for a week at Christmas) and now NEITHER of them are interested in a trip in 2008.

I am DEVESTATED!!!! :pout::sob::fit:I guess I over indulged and now my travel companions are disney'd out...I don't think it's permanent but it's a for sure this year.

Any advice?????:help::help:

DDuck66
03-17-2008, 11:20 AM
You might make a trip to Orlando with plenty of time set aside to do other things besides Disney (Yes there are other parks outside of DW). They are old enough to even go by themselves so that you can still go to Disney while they go to Islands of Adventure, or Seaworld. If they are in to snorkel and scuba, they might also like Discovery Cove where you can swim with Dolphins. Your other option is to make a special trip for yourself or with a significant other. Mt DW and I do not have any kids, so we do a lot of special things at WDW, that you might never do if you had kids.

SBETigg
03-17-2008, 11:22 AM
I have teenagers, too. I'm so painfully aware that they won't be living and vacationing with me much longer. Perhaps they will, who knows, but they're lives are changing fast and so will ours. I would give them a break from Disney and find something else to do that they would enjoy with you for now. I know it's hard to consider something else when you love Disney so much, but there are so many great places to go and explore and it might make for a memorable last big family fun time to do something new.

If I took mine to WDW that often, they would be tired of it, too. A little variety might be great for you all. And you'll always have Disney. Hey, you could do a Vero Beach vacation and stay at the Disney DVC there, or a Disney cruise or look up some of Disney's Great Adventure trips(I think the Costa Rica one is the most affordable and has some great things for guys to do). That way, the teens get something new to do and you get some Disney magic to keep you happy.

TinkiTime1989
03-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Well you could always just replace them with an 18 year old girl, perhaps ME! lol

But I would try to talk to them about possibly going to Universal and IOA for part of the trip and Disney for the other part. You could easily split the vacation into a few days at each. That would allow you to get your Disney fix and the guys can get a thrill ride fix too. Just an idea. Good Luck!!

JoDisney
03-17-2008, 12:11 PM
It is the expression of freedom part of life! I still have one younger son that likes to go to Disney and his friend's family, who also have seasonal passes, come along! The other two sons are older and prefer other vacation destinations. Of course, they want to exert their independence and go with friends and enjoy their spring breaks, etc. with the friends. You remember that! It is part of growth and independence. Once in awhile, they join family vacations, but as time progresses...

FlaTinkRAMESAM
03-17-2008, 12:58 PM
there really is a lot to do other than WDW in Orlando. Plus, Tampa isn't All that far, and def worth a day trip to Busch Gardens, or Adventure Island, or the Florida Aquarium. Maybe stay at Disney, spend a few days there, and spread the days out, and then do other stuff in between. Beaches aren't far either, Sea World, Discovery Cove, and Universal/IoA are nearby as well. Maybe talk with them about those options and compromise on it? Maybe even, if $$ permits, allow them to take a cab to the other parks in Orlando. And you could do Disney those days? But there are a lot of options and different things to do. But at least if you stay onsite at Disney, you are getting something.

Taja
03-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Do I see a solo WDW trip in your future? :D

If that isn't an option, try the carrot and stick mentioned by others and split the visit between US/IOA and WDW--if your sons are interested.

Quite honestly, the last vacation I took with my parents was at age 16. I started university that year--and worked--and started a business--and studied--and... Whew! I had a plate full for a few years! *LOL*

The next vacation with my parents was in my mid-twenties, when they were retired and my life had slowed down a bit. I was fortunate to have those extra times with them when we could all appreciate them! :)

teambricker04
03-17-2008, 02:31 PM
Ooooh! I have two little boys, and I just know that this is going to happen to me in about 14 years!!!! That is one reason we are cramming in now.

Let the reigns out a bit. I think that you should let them add what they want to do. Maybe they don't want to go on vacation with you (no offense!). My brother was about their age when he stopped wanting to go with my parents. (I on the other hand would still go if my parents were paying!)

I think you should venture out of WDW. Or let them do things without you. Let them plan it and see what happens. Or take TinkiTime1989.:mickey:

TinkiTime1989
03-17-2008, 02:39 PM
Or take TinkiTime1989.:mickey:

TAKE ME!! TAKE ME!! lol, I even come with an Annual Pass. :thumbsup:

DisneyDog
03-17-2008, 03:37 PM
I was recently daydreaming about a solo trip. I doubt I would ever be so lucky. I would love to go just to lounge by the pools and wander the parks at my own pace. Sounds wonderful to me.

Deesdisney
03-17-2008, 09:14 PM
I know how you feel. Mine are 17 and 20 know. They lost interest a couple of years ago. However I had a great suprise 5 yrs ago and she is just like me. We love Disney. But when the time comes in 13 yrs I will still go and maybe take some friends to enjoy it with. I think doing it by myself would be something I would love to do.

Or you could do the complete Orlando exp. with all the other parks included. If they love rollercoasters they would love to see the other parks. Also the Discovery Cove is a great thing to do on the side. We did this a few years ago and my older ones enjoyed it. They love dolphins.

jennsky
03-17-2008, 09:46 PM
Why not still stay at a Disney resort (so you get your fix) but then visit the Universal parks for a couple days. Or a land and sea trip...spend 3 days at Disney and 4 days on the Disney cruise??

jennsky
03-17-2008, 09:49 PM
I thought of something else after reading the other posts. What if one or both of your sons brought a friend along? When my sisters and I got to high school age, one of us (per trip) were allowed to bring a friend. That way, the kids could venture out on Disney grounds for the day and feel "grown up" and then you all meet up for lunch or dinner and then back at your hotel for night. I have fond memories of the trip I took in high school with my best friend...and she got along great with my younger sister so it was like a friend for both of us!

Tink#64
03-17-2008, 11:05 PM
My DS's are younger, now 10 & 12, but during our last trip, the younger one asked several times if we had to do something! Can you imagine? :ack: But apparently after 3 years in a row I think it was being taken for granted! So DH & I decided to take a year off & we had a beach vacation last year. We all really enjoyed it & plan to do that again, but now we're all ready to go back to Disney this year. Maybe they just need a break. I know, I know, it's unthinkable! But, odds are they won't be vacationing with you much longer, at least for while! So maybe you could see where they'd like to go, and then you could possibly visit WDW without them until they are ready to get back. My guess is, that after a break, they'll eventually want to return to the place with you that has given you all so many wonderful memories! I didn't vacation with my family in my twenties, but by my 30's I guess I was done spreading my wings & back to family trips, now with DS's in tow! My DM has vacationed with DH, DS's & I the past 3 years in a row!

Let them take the lead for a while! They will appreciate your understanding! :hug:

disneyjo-91
03-18-2008, 08:58 AM
My girls are 14 and 12 and they once said to me they wont go to disney again unless they can bring someone!!! :mad: However, I make the rules and they are still young enough to stick by them!
We took a small break from disney last year and went on a cruise instead... I have to say.. my girls are going thru quite a disney withdrawal!!! So our next trip in April will be great.....
Maybe try a disney cruise or 1/2 cruise 1/2 land .. or just a regualar cruise.. they are lots of fun! I didnt think I would like a cruise but loved it... and if you do that trust me.. next year they will be begging to go back to disney! :cool:

Aurora
03-18-2008, 09:29 AM
Why not try something COMPLETELY different? There are so many places in this wonderful country to see. Mountains, caves, dunes, forests, deserts, sea cliffs, canyons -- we have it all and we don't need a passport to see it!

When we were young we took driving vacations every year -- left at 5 a.m. (that was one of the best parts :D ) and went as far as we could. I have the best memories of those vacations, because we were privileged to see so many parts of the country. We did go to Disney about every three years, which always left us wanting more.

Space it out! Go somewhere else, and they'll appreciate Disney more. Too much of a good thing is too much.

wendy*darling
03-19-2008, 09:14 AM
My sons are coming up on 18 & 21 this summer.
They still enjoy our WDW trips, but not as much or as often as DH and I.
So, we do one trip without them a year, and bring them once every 18 months or so.
We also did the Universal/IOA trip which added a little excitement, and we did Disneyland one year.

On New Year's Eve we are doing the Disney Cruise (actually THEIR choice!! I offered Hawaii and they picked DCL :mickey:)

For many years now, we have all taken some time on our own during our vacations. We get settled in our resort- and we all know where and when our ADRs are for the week. Then we decided what we want to all do together and what each one may want to do on their own. There are many occasions when each of the 4 of us may be alone! Not often, but it can happen. But we eat every meal together and typically end every day together at one of the park's fireworks, parades, etc.

One thing we have added lately are the Tours. We did the Epcot Segway Tour, Keys to the Kingdom, and plan on the FW Segway Tour on the next trip.

They know DH & I are HUGE WDW fans. But they still enjoy the (free ;)) vacations with us. As long as we don't drag them there too often and mix it up a bit- they are happy to be there.

JWB3
03-19-2008, 12:40 PM
Sadly my DW and DS16 are both Disney-ed out, although my son will be at CSR on a school band trip at the end of April.

Meanwhile, we've planned a trip to Mexico / Yucatan for mid-April. It's at one of those all inclusive resorts, and it looks really nice, but my heart is back at WDW - guess I'll never grow up!!

My wife promises me an empty nest WDW trip when DS starts college in the fall 2010 - not that far off!!

#1donaldfan
03-19-2008, 12:56 PM
I'll go with you !!! You bring cash and I'll bring sun screen and, well, my fam of 5??????:mickey:

Kerry823
03-19-2008, 01:06 PM
I also am afraid of my DD deciding she doesn't want to go. She is nearly 16 and an only child. We have a very close relationship so it will be particularly difficult when she doesn't want to go. We have made Disney a yearly trip since she was very small. We look forward to it all year. I offered to let her take a friend this year and she declined saying it was the only time the 3 of us have together and wanted to keep it just family. (I was surprised!) We will be adding Seaworld and possibly some time at City Walk to our trip this time. Something to mix it up a bit. Also, we will be driving again instead of flying. This also gives us time together in the car for goofy games and things. We seem to be so busy with work, sports schedules and school that we all need the downtime to really reconnect with each other!

CaptainJessicaSparrow
03-19-2008, 01:20 PM
I would suggest maybe saving up for the year, and possibly visting one of our sister parks suchs as Paris or Hong Kong or Tokyo? They might enjoy the adventure and additional travel. Or for something a bit closer, there is always California, the mothership!

Jeri Lynn
03-19-2008, 02:08 PM
Let your son's have a break if they are feeling disney'd out and plan a trip with a friend, or sister...or brother.

I go every year with my sister and sometimes my cousin. Our last family trip was in 2005.

This past year I brought my youngest daughter
(16) and her best friend, along with my sister on our "girls trip", my other daughters want to go visit some island...eek gads...why would I want to go sit on a beach and have sand kicked all over me when I can be having fun at WDW...

One day I will have to give in and go to an island for them, although both my husband and I aren't really into it...:blush:

Or we could tell them that they are almost old enough to pay for their own vacations!;)

pink
03-19-2008, 07:59 PM
You and I have the opposite problem! I'm 18 and the disneyholic in my family but they're tired of going. :confused:

You said you went to Disney twice in one year and while some of us would love to do that others think it's too much. Maybe instead of going to WDW twice you could spend one of the vacations elsewhere. You have to give your sons a chance to miss Disney in order for them to want to go back. I agree with what someone else said to- bringing one of their friends along may also help. :mickey:

KineGirl
03-27-2008, 01:48 AM
Oh I feel for you! My DD is 17 and is a Disneymaniac! (THANK GOODNESS!) I could never take her enough! If anything Im worried that Im never going to get to experience the World just me and my DH someday! LOL We even tried to take a trip just him and I this past Feb but somehow she horned in because her FAAAVOOOORIITE band was playing at HOB. "Moooomm.. it IS the Year of a Million Dreams!!" I always joke that right after I drop her off at college that Im going straight to WDW!

I agree with everyone else ... they are def old enough to check out some of the other happenings in Orlando (:ack:). Let them do that & you do Disney! You know I have been going to Disney for close to 15 years now and have never done anything more off property than go to the grocery store!

1DisneyNut
03-27-2008, 08:17 AM
This must be a mom thing because I am the dad and I'm thinking woooohoooo Disney World without the kids. lol :mickey:

You might guess that I am the Disney addict of the family. lol

WDWCrazyKaren
03-27-2008, 08:43 AM
I'm on board with 1DisneyNut. I LOVE trips without the kids too. I love taking them with me, but going without them is a completely different experience.

Or, I could parrot the others here and say "TAKE ME"!

DisneyTopper
03-27-2008, 11:46 AM
My sons (9 & 12) are also becoming Disneyed out, and we don't even go every year! I am so sad to hear about the inevitable end to family vacations with my boys. I am going to enjoy every remaining one.

Sadly, though, when my boys leave the nest and vacation on their own in a few years, I am left with a husband to only goes to Disney to make me happy. I won't have a partner at all!

Maybe we should put together some type of match-making website that pairs up Disneyholics with each other (separate rooms of course:blush:). That would make everyone happy!

irish1967
03-27-2008, 12:49 PM
Just wondering - how in the world have you been able to schedule 3 WEEKS of vacation time with teenagers? My oldest is 10 and we have a difficult time finding a time where our vacation doesn't conflict with his sports schedule....

That's beside the point. I personally think that a compromise is in order. Where do they want to go? If is is somewhere completely different, then do one week there and then another week at a different time at Disney. Or, if other Orlando attractions are attractive, then plan a trip that allows you do do both during the same vacation (and if you want, they could do the other things while you do Disney solo on those days!)

Good luck!

bruin1344
03-27-2008, 01:06 PM
Too bad Pleasure Island isnt 18+ except for a Comedy Club and Adventurers Club. That would be perfect for nightlife. When I went in 2005, it was 18+ for nearly all the clubs and it was fun.

KineGirl
03-27-2008, 02:15 PM
If it makes anyone feel better (or worse?! LOL) Im 35 and I still go to WDW with my parents (& DD & DH) pretty much every year!

busterthebronco
04-13-2008, 01:39 PM
well i had to dig this thread up.
i skipped over it before our last trip but things started to change on the trip.
our DS 13 said "i wonder what it would be like to stay home with my friends one spring break".
it broke our hearts.
not that he did anything wrong, its perfectly healthy for him and we knew the day would come but i guess you hope it never does.
we talked it out and assured him he was free to go on vacation whenever he wants but that every spring break we are going to disney.
we go lots of different places too so its not like he only goes to disney.
its also not like he doesnt enjoy himself, its just like we are the disney nuts and he is normal.
on the flip side DW was taking him to orlando to do universal, wet n wild, etc but now DW and i are going just the two of us and doing disney only! (no universal, etc)
we are booking POR and thats the first place we stayed together!
we are thinking of all the things we can do as a couple.
maybe he'll miss it enough to go on our next trip with us!:thumbsup: