PDA

View Full Version : Chicago July 13-16

dfamasb
03-16-2008, 08:09 PM
I'm planning on visiting Chicago for the first time this July when I attend the Pampered Chef national conference. I'll be staying at the Sheraton Towers downtown. There won't be a lot of free time, what are some "can't miss" things to do (preferrably in walking didstance)?

trennedy
03-16-2008, 09:01 PM
We love Chicago!! We go each summer to watch the Cubs play. I would suggest walking down Michigan Ave. of course and get in some good shopping. My DD and I always hit the American Girl Store and my DS must go to the Hershey's store. We love to walk to Lake Michigan and sit on the beach. Navy Pier is great. We of course always must see the Cubs play and love to take the "EL". My favorite thing though that I've ever done in Chicago is when I went to see the musical Wicked. It was amazing. I'm going to see it again when it comes to Kansas City in May. Enjoy Chicago...eat some great Chicago style pizza! Gino's East is the best!!:pizza:

Mickey 101
03-17-2008, 01:17 AM
I'm not sure where Sheraton Towers is located, but if you are close to the Magnificent Mile (Michigan Ave), there's a great Disney Store and also Water Tower Place mall is nice to look around in. Millennium Park is interesting to wander through as well, which is a little further south right on Michigan Ave. Have fun in the Windy City!

MicMouse
03-18-2008, 02:24 PM
That's a great hotel! You are only a few blocks from the Mag Mile, so at the very least, take a walk and explore.

Be sure to check out the architecture of the buildings as you walk. I've been up and down Michigan Ave hundreds of times and each time I notice something I haven't seen before.

Have a great time!!

d_m_n_n
03-18-2008, 04:44 PM
If you are limited on time, I would hop on one of the trolley tours that hit all the major destinations. Such an easy/convenient way to see the city and what it has to offer!

Luthien Tinuviel
03-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Millenium Park is pretty cool and I love the Art Institute if you get a chance to go there. There's also the Museum of Science and Industry as well as the Field Museum. Hope you have fun, whatever you choose to see.

Aurora
03-20-2008, 01:28 PM
Here are some of the top "sights" within walking distance:

Millennium Park -- This is a long walk but it's a definite must-see. Best parts are the Crown Fountain, the Cloud Gate sculpture (what Chicagoans call "the bean"), the Lurie Garden and the Pritzker Pavilion. The Grant Park Symphony will be playing on July 13 in the Pritzker Pavilion (it's free!).

Michigan Ave./Magnificent Mile window shopping and some great restaurants -- try any Lettuce Entertain You restaurant.

Navy Pier -- A little hike but within walking distance.

River/lake sightseeing tours -- you can catch them at Michigan Avenue and Wacker Drive or Navy Pier.

The Art Institute.

Outside of walking distance but you can take a free trolley to get there:

Museums on Museum Campus -- Field Museum, Adler Planetarium and Shedd Aquarium/Oceanarium. My personal favorite is the Field, but all are popular.

Outside the downtown area but good for a future longer trip:

The Museum of Science and Industry is farther south. You can take a bus to get there and it's an excellent museum, but it's all by itself.

Lincoln Park Zoo -- One of the only remaining free zoos in the country, and very beautiful. The Lincoln Park Conservatory and grounds are adjacent to the zoo and should be part of a zoo visit.

You will have an excellent time!

brewcrew26
03-20-2008, 08:15 PM
At Millennium Park there's this really cool water wall/fountain that is made of these video mosaic tiles. It's really cool. If it's a warm day, there'll be kids running all over the place and getting wet. It's so cute!

You can take a trolley (it was free the last time I went) up and down the Mag Mile to Navy Pier where there's some cute shops, the gigantor ferris wheel, an Imax theatre, and some other fun stuff for families.

I know someone said Geno's was their favorite. But my vote is for Lou Malnati's. There's one in Downtown...I think on Wells Street near the theater district. Otherwise, I recommend an authentic Chicago dog.