PDA

View Full Version : Pop Century-Legendary Years

big blue and hairy
03-15-2008, 04:30 PM
Has anyone heard anything about any building coming on the LY side? I spoke to a reservation cast member (I know, not always a reliable info source), and she said that she had heard that Disney planned to start building over there again soon. It would make sense, since I can almost never find a room at Pop.

:sulley:

lockedoutlogic
03-15-2008, 04:50 PM
I think they will "build" on that side when they can confidently predict that they'll fill all the rooms to 95% occupancy or so over the course of the year....

They claim that they need that for the resort to be profitable....

ON an interesting rumor side note....i have heard some stories that the buildings (which are concrete shells already) are going to draw alot of heat from state and local health officials for environmental issues (my work).......
in a swamp....you have ridiculously high mold and bacterial counts...and there is enough wildlife on WDW property to create some nice infestations and residual issues (yes....i mean bird poop) in those unfinished shells....

we'll see....with disney greenlighting outside operated values on the western way side of the property...it's quite possible we've seen the end of disney run values.....maybe even moderates.....maybe even more

IF they could turn hotel operations over to third party operators who dealt with their own staffing issues....it would free up alot of "disney" labor to put into new parks, attractions, waterparks...etc.....thereby increasing hotel demand and plushie demand...which is most important

Crow
03-17-2008, 09:29 PM
theres been rumours of family suites, waiting till occupancy rates are high etc.
this yr might tell a tale. possible recession/slowdown.
i just stayed at POP & have Sept booked (possibly) so will keep an eye on it

kaylamag
03-18-2008, 09:40 AM
When i was there in January i asked one of the bus drivers about the Classic years buildings. He said that they all had to be torn down and built from scratch because of the mold in the buildings.

GrumpyFan
03-18-2008, 11:23 AM
I read on another Disney message board :eek: that the vacant, unfinished buildings are scheduled to be demolished, and the rest of the project has been permanently cancelled. I have not seen it confirmed anywhere else, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be true, although I hope it's not. They have been sitting vacant for too long with no air or heat or any kind of care. Whatever is there, is surely not occupyable or buildable to the point of use. Buldings left without any care for more than 2 years usually begin to rot.

Also, based on recent decisions made by Iger and his team, it doesn't look like they're interested in building any more "hotel" type rooms on-property. They seem more geared toward DVC and letting other, outside vendors take on the risk of a hotel room. Which is actually smart business, in my opinion. At least with a DVC/timeshare, it's a guaranteed steady revenue, versus a rented hotel room, which can vary it's revenue based on the season and economies.

TheRustyScupper
03-18-2008, 12:03 PM
. . . I read on another Disney message board that the vacant, unfinished buildings are scheduled to be demolished, and the rest of the project has been permanently cancelled . . .

1) I haven't heard it, but it does make sense.
2) I don't believe WDW will build any more hotels.
3) DVC resorts are far more profitable. *
4) And profitable immediately!
5) Hotels are too dependent upon the traveling public.
6) And if the public isn't traveling, the hotels are a money drain.

* Timeshares produce all their profits almost immediately. In the case of WDW, that could be $1-billion per resort. Then they collect the annual profits from management fees and services. Sure beats cash management for 20-years while a hotel gets paid-off.

johnO
03-18-2008, 03:00 PM
we'll see....with disney greenlighting outside operated values on the western way side of the property...it's quite possible we've seen the end of disney run values.....maybe even moderates.....maybe even more

IF they could turn hotel operations over to third party operators who dealt with their own staffing issues....it would free up alot of "disney" labor to put into new parks, attractions, waterparks...etc.....thereby increasing hotel demand and plushie demand...which is most important

I haven't heard this. Do you have more info on this topic? :confused:

lockedoutlogic
03-19-2008, 10:10 PM
I haven't heard this. Do you have more info on this topic? :confused:

it's a logical thought...not a newspaper article.....

they can't increase their overall staff numbers because...frankly....they don't pay enough and have burned through those in the Central Florida area who are COMPITENT and will work for Disney

they can't simply "give everyone a raise" to get a better staff....health care costs also escalate and hit the bottomline with more employees

The bottomline is not negotiable for WDW...it is an admitted, documented cash cow for the Walt Disney Company

They have greenlighted the new "value" type resorts on western way...within property grounds...they've also greenlighted the four seasons...in grounds......

Can we think that they might just go outside operated?

They will need to add gated attractions to expand...they will not be able to staff them unless they outsource somewhere....

lodging is a logical place....as they have taken most of their queues in operations from other operators already....wouldn't that be where to turn part of the operation over?

In fact....if the Swan and Dolphin hadn't been so contentious....i don't think we would see so many disney run hotels....

just a theory...not a fact

bruin1344
03-20-2008, 01:17 PM
Those really need to be demolished if they wont finish them. It really ugly to look at.