PDA

View Full Version : O'hanas is booked!

rochtraveler
03-14-2008, 08:03 PM
I am trying to schedule dinner reservations at O'hanas for my trip in early May but it appears to be almost completely booked! I want to leave the Magic Kingdom for an hour or two and take the kids someplace special for dinner. What are the odds I will be seated if I just show up early!

This won't ruin my trip but, wow, booked two months in advance...

Thanks!

Quasimodo
03-14-2008, 08:11 PM
I feel your pain. Its gotten to where you have to book any TS restaurant several months in advance. I think its because of the DDP. My suggestion is to keep calling Disney as often as you can and see if something opens up between now and then. Its very unlikely you will be able to do a walk up.

Another good choice for your situation would be Chef Mickeys at the Contemporary.

lockedoutlogic
03-14-2008, 08:25 PM
I am trying to schedule dinner reservations at O'hanas for my trip in early May but it appears to be almost completely booked! I want to leave the Magic Kingdom for an hour or two and take the kids someplace special for dinner. What are the odds I will be seated if I just show up early!

This won't ruin my trip but, wow, booked two months in advance...

Thanks!

most restaurants with any sort of demand are booked 3 or more months in advance now....

new reality of the "reservation" system down there

of course....a nice prolonged economic recession should throw some water on those flames.....

chicklittlemom
03-14-2008, 08:27 PM
My best suggestion would be to keep trying....

We had a similar situation trying to get into CRT for lunch. I called several times and finally came across an opening. Also, I think I called early in the morning when the dining line opened (7 am).

I don't think showing up early will work. We saw so many people without reservations turned away when we were at the World.

Maybe make a reservation at your 2nd choice so you have something and then you can change it if you get an opening.

Good luck and here's some :tink: that you get in!

Joy2theworld
03-14-2008, 09:32 PM
I'm confused because you say "almost completely booked." Does that mean there were some openings, but just not the time you wanted? When it comes to booking certain restaurants, you can't be that picky if you don't make your reservations right away.

Pirate Granny
03-14-2008, 09:39 PM
I find that the GF Cafe usually has openings...especially this close your choices are limited...but as others have said...make one reservation for your second choice and keep calling to see if you can't get into your first choice...DON'T try to walk in...that restaurant is always crowded.
:pirate:

TinaAndGlenn
03-14-2008, 10:11 PM
We were told by GRelations on our recent trip (12/27-1/4) that with the new dining plan reservations are always booked. It seems that people on the dining plan make reservations at more than one restaurant for the same time. They do not get charged if they cancel at the last minute, or don't show up. The DDP is not something we are interested in, so I guess our meals at the nicer rest in the world are going to be few and far between. At least as long as they allow this practice.

Jared
03-15-2008, 09:27 AM
You can make as many reservations as you want, too, and you will not be charged for canceling or missing your time, except at Cinderella's Royal Table and Akershus Royal Banquet Hall.

Definitely keep calling and hope a time opens. I called back for a week straight hoping to book a table at 'Ohana for our May trip, and eventually we got one at 5:30 p.m. Until then, the earliest available time was 8.

:tasty:

A Big Kid
03-15-2008, 09:53 AM
I dont hink you'd be missing much. The last time we did O'hanna, it was considerably less that stellar.

The only ADR we could secure was at 8:30 pm. We showed up 20 minutes eary and didnt get seated until 9:30 pm. (Nice time for dinner, huh?)

Then as we finally made our way back to our seats, HALF THE TABLE WERE NOT BEING USED!! (The chairs were upside down on the tabletops-another disgusting practice I dont understand)

The meat was bland as if it were cooked without any seasoning at all. My wife and I were seated right on the racetrack which futher aggravated an already annoyed man.

Might I suggest taking a boat to the Whispering Canyon Cafe?

BluewaterBrad
03-15-2008, 10:21 AM
Yeah you really have to make resv. 3 months ahead to get anything!:mickey:

lockedoutlogic
03-15-2008, 06:00 PM
You can make as many reservations as you want, too, and you will not be charged for canceling or missing your time, except at Cinderella's Royal Table and Akershus Royal Banquet Hall.

Definitely keep calling and hope a time opens. I called back for a week straight hoping to book a table at 'Ohana for our May trip, and eventually we got one at 5:30 p.m. Until then, the earliest available time was 8.

:tasty:

what he means to say is:

keep trying...things open up all the time several months out....you'll probably find something

Don't book multiple reservations for the same meal....while it can be done...it is the absolutely the rudest thing that you can do at WDW right now...and amounts to nothing less than stealing an experience (and even the anticipation/ excitement of preplanning to go there) from someone else who is paying the same prices to be there....

don't do that....keep trying to get your table though

Jared
03-15-2008, 06:06 PM
I didn't mean to imply it is appropriate to book more reservations than needed. The first paragraph of my previous post was in response to the question posted above.

Sorry for the confusion.

LudwigVonDrake
03-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Keep tryin'!!! 'Ohana is worth the effort :tasty:

wendy*darling
03-15-2008, 08:51 PM
While it may be true that some people are making more than one reservation per meal- it is more likely that with the popularity of the Dining Plan- more people are eating at the TS restaurants than ever before (and thus making ADRs).

There are some really good options besides 'Ohana if you just want to get out of the MK for dinner and then return.
Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary
1900 Park Fare (Cinderella's Gala Feast) at the Grand Floridian
Whispering Canyon at the Wilderness Lodge

All of these are close by and fun for the whole family.
The Contemporary and GF are on the monorail line. For the Wilderness Lodge you can catch a boat right out front of the MK entrance for a relaxing ride to and from the WL.

Reservations open up 180 days in advance. There are some very popular restaurants that actually book completely 180 days ahead. Two months is really cutting it close. So I suggest getting on the phone with WDW-DINE right away to see what may be available at this point.

rochtraveler
03-15-2008, 11:04 PM
I have eaten at the CR and the GF before (both good!). We just have a lot of fun seeing the different hotels. I have never been to the Poly and we always like a break from the MK. We also thought our youngest might want to go back to hotel for the night and being so close TTC, some of us could make a easy exit. Then the rest of the family could go back and see the fireworks. I will keep trying!

Pirate Granny
03-16-2008, 01:00 AM
If you really want to eat at the Poly...how about Kona Cafe...the food is good and you may be able to get reservation...we did reservations about three weeks out from our trip...and were able to get dinner reservations for a decent hour there.
:pirate:

CaptSmee
03-16-2008, 01:27 AM
Ohanas & Chef Mickey's seem to be the hard to get in to places of late. I was able to score reservations for both in early May, but I called as soon as I possibly could and our Chef Mickey's ressies were only left for late in the day. I doubt you will be able to be seated the same day of if they are telling you they are booked for the day already. I would keep calling and checking on ADR's but make some for another place as well.

Kairi_7378
03-16-2008, 08:53 AM
Have you considered trying Whispering Canyon Cafe, 1900 Park Faire, Kona Cafe, or the Grand Floridian Cafe? Most of these are very close to the MK and are special places to eat. WCC requires a boat ride, but it is a very nice ride to and from the Wilderness Lodge. I'd book one of these places ASAP and then keep trying for Ohana's since you are set on there. (And of course, canceling the other ADR when you get Ohana's!) I do not recommend showing up at the Poly without a reservation with hungry children who are all keyed up from being at the MK all day because walk ins are not always accommodated. Good luck!

Belle_0717
03-16-2008, 10:10 AM
Try to get ADR's for Kona Cafe in Poly. It's not all you can eat, but the food is great. My DH and I try to eat there every trip.