PDA

View Full Version : Disney's Magical Express thriving at OIA; rivals cry foul

caryrae
03-14-2008, 11:12 AM
Sounds like Disney could add a second check-in counter soon.

Disney's Magical Express thriving at OIA; rivals cry foul

Jason Garcia | Sentinel Staff Writer
February 21, 2008
Though it is not yet 3 years old, Walt Disney World's popular but controversial airport shuttle and check-in service is luring so many tourists that the company soon might have to expand at Orlando International Airport -- and fight off an antitrust lawsuit.

Disney transported more than 2.1 million passengers last year from the airport to its resorts and cruise ships, according to newly available figures. That's nearly 9 percent more traffic than it handled in 2006, and it's the first time the Disney service has crossed the 2 million threshold in a year.

At peak travel times, the company's Magical Express buses to Disney World and its Disney Cruise Line buses to Port Canaveral carried more than 12,000 passengers in a single day. During one month -- September 2007 -- Disney carried away more than one of every seven travelers who landed at OIA.

Disney's contract with OIA allows the airport to make Disney add a second customer check-in location when the company carries more than 2.2 million passengers in any 12-month period. Should that happen, Disney would have to divide its theme-park and cruise-line shuttle operations and rent more counter and queuing space at opposite ends of the main terminal.

Disney currently pays nearly $1.3 million a year to rent counter, office and other operating space at the airport.

Spokeswoman Zoraya Suarez said Disney expects to pass the 2.2 million threshold this year. Some airport officials think it will happen as early as March or April.

"When we do reach that benchmark, we will plan with the airport authority on what steps will be operationally needed to ensure the highest level of service for all airport guests are met," Suarez said. "We're excited about growing DME further."

For all it success, Disney's Magical Express has been unable to shake controversy.

Other transportation companies continue to accuse Disney, which does not separately charge customers who ride Magical Express, of running its smaller competitors out of business. At least one operator, Premier Exotic Limousines, recently pulled out of the airport in large part because it couldn't compete with Disney's service, co-owner Jenaid Abdulhakeem said.

Rival operators say Disney shouldn't be allowed to advertise Magical Express as a "free" service when the company can simply bundle the costs of running the shuttle and luggage service into the price of its hotel rooms.

"Nobody can run 40 to 50 buses a day for free," said Miguel Hernandez, the owner of M&J Tours and Transportation Inc., which operates two stretch limousines, a town car, an SUV and a 15-seat van. Hernandez said his business has fallen nearly 30 percent since Magical Express began. "We can't compete with 'free.' "

Disney's Suarez said Magical Express has been a boon for all of Central Florida because it has eased congestion in airport check-in lines and at baggage-claim carousels, reduced the number of tourists on the road in rental cars, created new jobs, and been an extra lure in getting more travelers to visit Orlando.

Still, the National Limousine Association says it is considering challenging Disney on antitrust grounds.

"It's being looked at," said Barry Lefkowitz, a lobbyist for the Marlton, N.J.-based limousine association, though he conceded that such a challenge would face long odds. "We're trying to work out some kind of game plan."

While it has had little trouble filling its buses, Disney has had more difficulty boosting customers' use of Magical Express' related return-flight check-in option. That's the service through which guests can check in for their flights home and drop off their luggage before they even leave Disney property.

Guests who don't use the remote check-in service can still ride the Magical Express shuttle. But company executives have made it a priority to encourage use of the baggage service, too, in hopes of freeing visitors to spend even more time in Disney's theme parks before they leave for home.

There's another incentive: Disney's deal with OIA includes a provision capping the amount it can be charged -- provided by June Disney gets at least 65 percent of its Magical Express riders to use the remote check-in option when they return to the airport. OIA currently charges Disney 75 cents a rider, which cost Disney nearly $1.6 million last year. Under the cap, OIA could not raise that charge beyond $1.25 per rider.

Disney, though, has yet to reach an agreement with Southwest Airlines, the busiest carrier at OIA, that would allow Southwest passengers to use the remote check-in service. Every other major domestic airline already participates in the program -- which reduces the amount of luggage that has to be screened in OIA's main terminal -- but Southwest alone is responsible for more than a fifth of OIA's traffic.

Southwest and Disney had hoped to have a deal in place early this year. But Southwest spokeswoman Marilee McInnis says the airline is concerned that Disney and the company it contracts with to run the check-in service, Orlando-based Bags Inc., would be overwhelmed by Southwest passengers. The airline, she said, expects at least 80,000 of the nearly 320,000 passengers Southwest brings to Orlando every month would use Magical Express.

"With the number of bags we have, the number of customers we have, it would just be difficult for them to handle that load," McInnis said, adding that Southwest processes more bags at OIA on a per-passenger basis than it does at any other airport in the country.

"We're working with them to try and automate the process," she added. "We are close."

DVCWDWMEMBER
03-14-2008, 12:39 PM
We have used magical Express 3 times and plan on using it as long as WDW continues with it. We love getting to OIA and not having to worry about getting our bags. We would even pay for the service.

Disneyatic
03-14-2008, 12:45 PM
We have used magical Express 3 times and plan on using it as long as WDW continues with it. We love getting to OIA and not having to worry about getting our bags. We would even pay for the service.

I totally agree! Magical Express is a major plus for our family because it cuts down on the headache of having to arrange transportation.
We would also be willing to pay for the service (as long as it was reasonable).

LauraF
03-14-2008, 01:11 PM
I used to pay for either a rental car or shuttle before, so I'd pay for one again if I had to. But then the prices for ME weren't passed along in my resort/hotel price either . . . but I love ME and it's so much easier to deal with than the old way.

BelleLovesTheBeast
03-14-2008, 05:25 PM
I never rent a car when I go to WDW because I don't leave the property. In the past I've just paid Mears....now I don't have to worry about it with ME. I was so excited 2 years ago to use it and it's so much easier than before. I don't have to worry about getting my bags or adding the cost of it into the vacation.

I'll be glad when they come to an agreement with SW. I always fly to Orlando using them (free flights).

chicklittlemom
03-14-2008, 06:10 PM
We've used ME once and were very happy with it. This is part of the "whole package" with us. It's seamless and one less thing that we have to worry about. When I explain WDW vacations with ME and DDP package to others, I compare it to going on a cruise- your luggage is taken care of, your transportation is taken care of, you pay for the "essentials" ahead of time (room, food, tickets) and you then decide if you want to splurge on extras. And no sea-sickness :sick:!

The comment was made in the article that this is not a free service and that Disney can bundle this cost into room fees, etc. But I have priced staying on site at another Orlando park ( :rub: did I just suggest we would ever go anywhere but WDW?) and I felt when you break it all down, the price is just about the same. Maybe that's a biased opinion :blush: At least that's the story I tell the DH when he suggests other places, and I'm sticking to it!

JPL
03-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Of course other services are going to get bent out of shape about this service because it was pure genius on the part of Disney. I have used the service several times and it's faster then getting my luggage & renting a car. I am usually at a park before anyone getting their luggage and renting a car who was on the same flight as me. The service costs are hidden in my room costs but this a perk for staying with Disney. I really don't see where this fits in an antitrust suit there are still other choices I can make when heading from the airport to WDW it's not like they are saying I must take DME to stay at a Disney Resort.

To me it has become part of my trip and overall experience. I get off the plane head to the bus all without lugging my bags through the airport and later they appear in my room. When leaving I check into my flight leave my bags and head out for a day of fun before heading home. The only times I need to worry about my bags are at my home airport. It really does maximize my time at the parks which is something I am always looking to do.

disneymajik
03-15-2008, 12:20 PM
Has the time frame of bags 'appearing' in your room improved or is it still a 4-5 hour time frame for baggage delivery? The reason I ask is if you want to hit the pool with a family for 4 before you go into the parks it just makes for more carryons. Understanding it takes time to get the luggage from the airport to the room 4-5 hours is a while.

What have been your recent experiences?

DisneyFanaticDargon
03-15-2008, 02:25 PM
Has the time frame of bags 'appearing' in your room improved or is it still a 4-5 hour time frame for baggage delivery? The reason I ask is if you want to hit the pool with a family for 4 before you go into the parks it just makes for more carryons. Understanding it takes time to get the luggage from the airport to the room 4-5 hours is a while.

What have been your recent experiences?

I just used it for the first time on my most recent trip and our flight landed at 6:45 p.m. We were at our resort by about 7:30 p.m. and our bags didn't arrive in the room until almost 11:00 p.m. so this is something they still need to improve IMO. I'd use it again for sure, but I'd definitely book an earlier flight so I didn't need things like my toiletries right away as soon as I got to the resort.

JPL
03-15-2008, 11:36 PM
The bags to my room doesn't really impact me since I usually take an early flight in and then head straight for a park and they are always there when I get back.

CaptSmee
03-16-2008, 01:34 AM
We love Magical Express! Never had a problem with it. Get airport, ride to hotel, check in, stop in room to check it out, head to parks for day, come back and voila! Luggage is there! It's an awesome concept!!!

DonnaT103
03-16-2008, 10:57 AM
Does anyone know if this service is available from Canadian airports, Toronto to be specific? We usually drive but have been thinking of flying this year.

caryrae
03-16-2008, 09:01 PM
My main purpose for the article was to show how well ME is doing (and is has been around for less then 3 years) and they may have to had a 2nd counter, unless they have 2 already but they way the article sounds there is only one check-in counter and they may soon have add a 2nd counter to help it go a little easier/faster.

Disney's contract with OIA allows the airport to make Disney add a second customer check-in location when the company carries more than 2.2 million passengers in any 12-month period. Should that happen, Disney would have to divide its theme-park and cruise-line shuttle operations and rent more counter and queuing space at opposite ends of the main terminal.

I guess they hit more then 2.1 million last year.

wizardmickey
03-16-2008, 11:47 PM
Our luggage arrived about an hour and 15 minutes after we got checked in. And we also use the service of checking our bags before we leave the resort for home... leaves us ither time for eating, shopping, or one last spin around the parks!

ASweetLov
03-17-2008, 12:06 AM
ME is great, I have used it on both of my trips to WDW. I also love being able to check in my bags and get my boarding passes at the resort, it gets rid of so much stress that I would have to go through at the airport. I would pay for this service if it wasnt for free!

Ed
03-17-2008, 06:22 PM
My main purpose for the article was to show how well ME is doing (and is has been around for less then 3 years) and they may have to had a 2nd counter, unless they have 2 already but they way the article sounds there is only one check-in counter and they may soon have add a 2nd counter to help it go a little easier/faster. I guess they hit more then 2.1 million last year.

The prevalent rumor around the airport is that Disney will soon be splitting the counters for DME service to the resorts and DCL service to and from the port. Right now, the Disney Welcome Center is on the "B" side, 1st floor, west end of the airport. Some are speculating that the DCL function will be located on the "A" side, 1st floor, east end - - the complete opposite corner of the building and, ironically, the same location where DME first started out!

The taxi and limo companies have been complaining about DME since before the service even started! It's understandable, but if there's one thing that's constant in Central Florida, it's change. People need to adapt to change and make the best of it.

And in my estimation :twocents: DME was definitely a change for the better. Think of it solely in terms of energy savings; one 40+ passenger capacity bus transports 10 times the number of people as a crowded taxicab (although most of the cabs I see at the airport are transporting only 1 or 2 people) while using the same amount of fuel as perhaps 3 taxicabs driving the same routes. And believe it or not ;), some cab drivers have actually been known to intentionally take circuitous routes, with the meter $pinning away.

There will always be a market for taxis and limo services at the airport. It will just be a bit smaller than some might like.

JPL
03-17-2008, 08:08 PM
Worse than the meter cabs are the ones that just quote you a price. I was at the Best Western Plaza on I-Drive for a conference and the wanted $12 to the convention center less than a mile away :rolleyes: Sea World which was maybe 3 miles they wanted $25, and then when returning to Disney I was getting quotes of $50-$60. It cost me $35 w/tip using a Mears metered cab.

caryrae
03-17-2008, 08:22 PM
This why Disney rules, they could easily charge a few bucks one way or 5 bucks round trip per person but they don't, (I suppose kids ride could ride free) and I think most people would still use it gladly. So if they had over 2.1 million they could have made over 10 million $'s last year just from DME. I am sure some day they will have to just because of the gas prices. I don't know maybe they do make it up in other ways but I wouldn't know. Can't imagine what they spend on gas just from the free transportation.

To bad there isn't someway they could get their own baggage claim but I think it would be to hard to make sure the specially tagged luggage gets on the right conveyour belt all the time.

wilshade
03-17-2008, 08:58 PM
I used ME for the first time last November. The only concern I had was an hour long wait for the bus.

But, it is a great service and I will continue to use it.

And, should for some reason the limo companies with that lawsuit, I will go back to driving my own car.

Crow
03-17-2008, 09:25 PM
The bags to my room doesn't really impact me since I usually take an early flight in and then head straight for a park and they are always there when I get back.

yep thats what I do.
this last trip i only used it upon arrival because i had transport back.
Ive used it a few times now. this trip not very long wait, but on previous trip there was a line to checkin.
and i usually stay onsite using buses

Ed
03-18-2008, 05:24 AM
To bad there isn't someway they could get their own baggage claim but I think it would be to hard to make sure the specially tagged luggage gets on the right conveyour belt all the time.

You might be on to something there. MCO is currently installing large baggage claim conveyors on the first floor (all other bag claim carousels are on the second floor) on both the "A" and "B" sides, and nobody is saying exactly what they will be used for. Getting the bags to the right carousel is not difficult at all; automated barcode readers already handle that chore. DME bag tags could easily add a barcode to divert those bags to a dedicated carousel.

mook3y
03-18-2008, 12:12 PM
We love ME.

Last year, we decided to spend a little more $ and fly NWA instead of SW, just so we could check our bags at the resort.

When travelling with little kids, it was so nice to check the baggage at the resort, go play at MK for a while, eat lunch and catch ME back to the airport and not have to worry about our luggage!

Caroleh
03-18-2008, 12:31 PM
Does anyone know if this service is available from Canadian airports, Toronto to be specific? We usually drive but have been thinking of flying this year.

You can on the flight going down there, but when heading home you can us the buses but you have to take your own bags. The reason being is down there it is considered a domestic flight because you've already gone though customs but the return flight is considered an international flight. We've been to WDW twice and use ME both times, once with Canada Air and the other with West Jet. The bigest drawback is that for the return flight, they pick you up 4 hours before your flight takes off so you have a lot of time to kill at the airport. Don't go though security right away because once you do there's not a lot to do in the terminal.