PDA

View Full Version : What comforts from home do you take?

PhilHarHarMagic
03-13-2008, 07:08 AM
When you go on your Orlando trip, what comforts from home do you take along to make the trip just a little more comfortable?

We take toilet paper...:cloud9:

tennantsrwe
03-13-2008, 07:19 AM
Special blankets and pillows we can't be without. :mickey:

sorarail
03-13-2008, 07:33 AM
We always bring our own pillows and pillowcases. I can sleep just about anywhere so long as I have my pillow!:cloud9:

Von-Drake
03-13-2008, 07:38 AM
My wife takes her pillow, and we take my son's favorite pillow and blanket, but that is about it.

Oh also a few toys. our son's portable DVD player and his folder of Disney movies (he has some Wiggles... ok he has all the Wiggles movies in there, but he is definitely getting more into the Disney films). His current favorites are: Jungle Book, Chicken Little, & the Incredibles.

CAS
03-13-2008, 08:32 AM
I'm actually kind of the opposite. It's funny, I'd rather not be reminded of home so I don't like to take anything I don't need; in fact I like to buy a lot there and leave most things at home. Pillows, blankets, everything...if it's from a hotel then I sleep better knowing I've got no domestic responsibilities. :blush:

BostonChic
03-13-2008, 10:06 AM
I like to bring the boys their favorite towels from home and they bring some toys.
and toilet paper :blush: yes!

Pop Centurion
03-13-2008, 10:31 AM
I take comfort in knowing I'm off from work for xx amount of days. :silly:

Love of Disney
03-13-2008, 10:32 AM
Beach towels for the pool, toys for my daughter and the iPod!! :cool:

Marilyn Michetti
03-13-2008, 10:58 AM
Oh, we pack Ben Gay, Pepto, orthopedic socks, and whatever is takes to get us going, and bring us back down. That, and some toys for DH to play with in line. 20 Questions is a good one - he can play it alone.:D

NJ Camper
03-13-2008, 11:12 AM
This ? is tougher for me as we stay in FW so i guess we bring everything our place to stay and all our necessary items to survive a 2 week stay at disney so our list would be alot bigger then most resorts

kbean
03-13-2008, 11:12 AM
My white noise machine, and my pillow.

McGoofy
03-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Lots of bottled water. As many times as we've been there, we still can't get used to the flavor of Disney water.

ChipDale2708
03-13-2008, 11:34 AM
My Brookstone NAP blanket :cloud9: (so warm and soft) and sometimes a pillowcase if I think of it.

DDuck66
03-13-2008, 11:35 AM
Pillows, Air Freshner and Toilet Paper!!!! Unless we are at a Deluxe, we always take our own TP. We like to have our own air freshner as sometimes the room smell musty or of cleaning materials.

TheDuckRocks
03-13-2008, 11:36 AM
I can sleep on almost any bed situation as long as I have my pillow.:cloud9:

baby minnie's mommy
03-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Aside from a few things, I like to take as little as possible and just enjoy having everything done for me. Like another poster said, I enjoy being free of domestic duties for a while. :cloud9: Someone told me the other day how wonderful vacation homes are. I told them I"m sure it's great for a lot of people, but I don't want to cook or clean on vacation! :vacation:

The less time I spend repacking at the end of vacation, the better. Plus fewer pieces of luggage means it's easier on DH.

A few items I do bring:
I take my own soap, even though I still use the ones provided. It's much quicker to take a shower with a bottle of bodywash than a bar soap! :D

We take bottled water and juices to save money. To those who "still can't get used to Disney water": we live in Florida and even drink bottled water at home. :) So don't feel bad.

Sometimes I take my own coffee, since I don't like hotel room coffee.

DD of course brings some toy "friends" along. :mickey:

grumpypima
03-13-2008, 03:45 PM
"Must haves from Home"
Pillows & one extra blanket for me
Ice chest full of everyone's favorite drink

kakn7294
03-13-2008, 04:00 PM
My DD's bring favorite blankets, travel pillows, and stuffed animals. DH and I bring Steeler window klingies and our Terrible Towels to add that personal touch to the room - plus it makes it easier to find the right door late at night when our window has been personalized.

thumperbug
03-13-2008, 05:28 PM
a backpack with only a FEW toys for DS(6) since he always needs room to lug his new purchases home. Definitely airfreshener, rain ponchos, stroller cover. We used to bring a lot of our own snacks, papergoods, cereral but for our next trip we are shipping it ahead of time rather then packing it. I agree on the water thing. To me, even the bottled water purchased in FL tastes weird. I bring crystal light to flavor the water.

2disneyfans
03-13-2008, 06:15 PM
My own pillow from home, bottled water, and rain ponchos. We have not had to use the ponchos yet on either trip, but they are nice to have in our backpack just in case!

WhiteRose1
03-13-2008, 06:52 PM
A book, a lucky stuffed friend, and my portable dvd player.

SurferStitch
03-13-2008, 10:04 PM

That gets a big fat :ditto: from me!! :thumbsup:

garymacd
03-13-2008, 10:13 PM
The only thing I bring from home, other than clothes and my beloved wife and the occasional, various and sundry daughter, is my CPAP, or SnoreMaster 2000 as the guys on my crew call it. Can't sleep without it.:sleepin:

adoptionislove
03-13-2008, 10:41 PM
Just the Visa Debit card!!!

DreamFinder2
03-13-2008, 11:33 PM
The only thing I bring from home, other than clothes and my beloved wife and the occasional, various and sundry daughter...

Wow...you bring them WITH you??? What a guy :thumbsup:.

We generally don't take too much from home with us, but after reading this thread, I think we might try to squeeze in our pillows. I agree with several posters...when I'm in WDW, I don't want to be reminded of home :).

Von-Drake
03-14-2008, 07:31 AM
We do bring a cooler usually with water and some drinks. It's like tradition when we get back to the room we all just site around and have a soda and tell our favorite parts of the day. (Can easily be a long conversation sometimes)

Kairi_7378
03-14-2008, 08:53 AM
For snacks: Bottled water, champagne, and breakfast cereal/ pastries.
For toiletries: Our own shampoo. DH is picky about what he puts in his hair! (But the Mickey soaps are A-OK.)

BelleLovesTheBeast
03-14-2008, 12:33 PM
I bring my pillow and linen spray.

cwarner
03-14-2008, 05:39 PM
We will be going to Disney in May and I am planning on taking my pillow and air freshner for the room. We are also taking bottled water, portable dvd player for my niece(5) breakfast stuff and snacks.

pink
03-14-2008, 07:51 PM
Rain ponchos, as someone else said. But most important my own shampoo and conditioner! Those tiny bottles just don't cut it. :mickey:

goofygirl67
03-14-2008, 08:35 PM
I always bring snacks, drinks, etc. I travel for a living so my bag always has my own shampoo and conditioner.
I did once bring my toaster ( it also cooks an egg on the side) I had homemade egg McMuffins for breakfast before a busy day.:D

tinkmommy
03-14-2008, 10:08 PM
My own hair dryer. The little ones attached to the walls just don't cut it.

dfamasb
03-15-2008, 12:23 AM
A better question for me would probably be what don't you bring? Last trip we brought along 2 strollers (1 double, 1 single), crib, 2 inflatable beds, pillows and blankes, toys galore, breakfast food and snacks, and we actually managed to fit in 3 kids in carseats, my DH and myself. We needed a diagram to fit it all in our van :crowd:

Mickey 101
03-15-2008, 01:15 AM
I thought I was the only strange one who won't travel anywhere without bringing my pillow from home. It's so huge, it flies down in its own large duffle. :blush: Ditto on the shampoo, conditioner and blow dryer, as well. Then, the most important part, comfortable shoes!

Checkers
03-15-2008, 10:42 AM
We bring our own soap, shampoo/conditioner. We also bring night lights which we couldn't do without!

TheMartellFamily
03-15-2008, 06:48 PM
DS's bring their comfort items which means 1 pillow, 1 blanket, stuffed animals. I bring my own laundry detergent. We also bring our own water, Dt. Mt. Dew and Dt. Rite soda. We bring some of our toiletries like the kids no tear shampoo.

disneydeb
03-15-2008, 07:58 PM
My pillow, small fan for the room, an octopus like thing to hang in the shower to help dry things we wash out in the sink, extra hangers and a couple of extension cords help make my value resort like home. Ooops, I forgot, spray disinfectant, botttles water and breakfast bars, ziplock bags, and shower shampoo, conditioner and bodywash.:mickey:

KevMcNJ
03-15-2008, 11:44 PM
coffee pot
coffee
coffee filters
coffee cups
half & half
sugar
Wife and I both need LOTS of coffee in the AM
One cup just will not do! So we have it set up and waiting for us already brewed when we wake up

cooler
beer & wine. Both are just obscenely priced on site. Dont think we're supposed to do it, but sitting by the pool late in the evening with a few discreetly hidden drinks is oh so nice

And finally ....snacks chips & salsa etc.

Aggie97
03-15-2008, 11:48 PM
Now that we live closer to WDW and drive down, we've started taking pillows, bottled water, and a bottle of the foaming hand soap we use at home. We've always brought our own shampoo, etc., hair dryer, and an extension cord. Oh - and ziploc bags in different sizes - we end up using them for lots of things. :mickey:

Dakota Rose
03-16-2008, 12:25 AM
I bring our own soaps/shampoos/lotions, favorite blanket and stuffy for DS, and my own laundry soap. Oh and we bring our own stroller. Other than that, I'm happy to be away from home.

busterthebronco
03-16-2008, 10:05 AM
I and DS have to have our blankets and pillows. DS brings his DVD player and movies. DW brings her entire wardrobe so she feels lke she is choosing from her own closet at home. Drives me crazy! We just feel at home as soon as we pull into the gates that say Welcome to Disney World"!

minnie1956
03-16-2008, 11:14 PM
I'm not the only one who brings own pillows!
DD brings pillows and at least 2-3 stuffed friends.
Of course, I've become so brazen, I carry my pillow on the plane too! :secret:

DisneyDog
03-17-2008, 03:49 PM
I bring all my own toiletries. I don't use anything they give you in the room. The shampoos and soaps usually dry out my skin and hair, so it's not worth it to use it.

But I don't bring my own pillows or anything like that. I'm sure DS will want to bring a few stuffed friends along. Luckily, his current favorites are really small.

jakeybake
03-17-2008, 04:51 PM
I dont really bring anything. But I think the beach club is my home. :number1:

Tink2002
03-17-2008, 10:37 PM
I always bring my own shampoo and body wash, because the things they give you in the room dry me out and that conditioner just doesn't cut it on my long hair.

I also like to bring a blanket for napping (whoever mentioned the brookstone blanket, they are the BEST) and a book to read if I can manage to keep my eyes open for a few minutes before I drift off to sleep.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-18-2008, 02:55 PM
Slippers! I refuse to walk around a hotel room barefoot. Ick!! I have to bring my own shampoo, conditioner etc too. I'll use the soap that's in the room though.

wedway76
03-18-2008, 04:53 PM
I dont bring anything. I'm on vacation for goodness sakes. I go on vacation with a clear head and as empty a suitcase as I can. Hakuna Matata!

grwoolf
03-19-2008, 07:55 PM
My youngest DS would bring rubber snakes the first few years we went. I'm not sure I'd call them a comfort from home, but he liked them. These were the big rubber cobras, etc. that the used to sell in Adventureland. They were pretty big and heavy and it drove us crazy to bring them from home on the plane. He would carry a couple of them around the parks some days and slip them under the bed sheets at night to scare DW. Of couse, Mom would play it up and give a good scream every time and the boys would get a laugh. This became a Disney tradition for a few years until they move on to more elaborate pranks on Mom.

KineGirl
03-27-2008, 01:26 AM
As far as comforts go when we drive (& we usually do) we always bring the staple blankets & pillows & water, dry goods/snacks. We also bring
- our favorite coffee blend from the gourmet shop up the street
- our favorite coffee cups
- my favorite perfume
- slippers & robe
- yoga mat
- all bathing/toiletry items I would use at home
- Q tips (my DH swears this is what makes me the best DW ever! LOL)
- scented candles & air fresheners
- mickey mouse waffle iron (tradition to make mickey waffles at least one morning)

I practically move in when we come to the World! I love the whole unpacking process I go through our first night when we've returned from the park. Usually the DD is swimming and the DH is sleeping and Im drinking a pina colava setting up my new "Home".There is probably more because I am one who really likes to be comfortable when able to! :cool:

joonyer
03-27-2008, 02:07 PM
We drive down from Georgia so we can pretty much take whatever we want. Here's my list.

1) my memory foam pillow
2) my good coffee (and coffee maker if we stay in a value)
3) our stuffed mickeys and other Disney characters
4) A small ice chest, even if we have a fridge, so we can keep soft drinks and water really cold on ice :snowball: and plenty of our favorite soft drinks
5) our big beach towels (which we bought at WDW) for visits to the pools and water parks
6) my wife always brings her own hair dryer
7) disney pin collections
8) laptop, not for working but downloading and looking at photos from our digital camera.
and of course all the other necessities for an enjoyable visit to WDW, hats, good shoes, daypack, camera, camcorder, raingear, snacks, you know . . . STUFF!

JerseyDad
03-27-2008, 02:54 PM
......I don't know if these are "home comforts"...but we'll always bring a few bottles of "adult beverage"...including scotch, vanila vodka (for the wife)...and a 12 pack of beer for the fridge we get in the room.

...the wife of course will not go ANTWHERE without her two MANDATORY travel items:

...big bottle of Pantene shampoo

...big bottle of Pantene conditioner

(I think she's a hair-care addict!!) :eek2:

mook3y
03-27-2008, 04:20 PM

ROFL. :D

For me... for xx days, I forget that I even have a job and that I am going to school.

our kids each bring their favorite stuffed animal.

daparish
03-30-2008, 06:03 PM
Slippers! I refuse to walk around a hotel room barefoot. Ick!! I have to bring my own shampoo, conditioner etc too. I'll use the soap that's in the room though.

I refuse to walk around a hotel barefoot also!!! There was an epsiode of Jon & Kate plus 8. It was the episode when they go to Disney and the producers were making fun of Kate because they thought it was so odd that she would not walk barefoot in the hotel.
We bring soap and shampoo. Our last trip we had water and breakfast items delivered from a delivery service. I also bring my entire medicine cabinet because you never know what you may need.

goofygirl67
03-31-2008, 06:20 PM
I don't bring slippers but I also don't take my socks off while I am in the room, I've been in too many hotels.

Hull-onian
03-31-2008, 07:07 PM
All of ya's are gonna think I am really weird. I have never admitted this in public before. Confession: I bring a wooden clothes pin to pin my bath towel when I wrap it. There I said it. I feel as though the towels are a little bit to teeny for me. Then a million other things, but no pillow. I might consider it. 380 hours to go.
:yay:

Catzle
03-31-2008, 08:32 PM
We bring bottled water, shampoo, conditioner, snacks pillowcases and extra little pillows. Beach towels and mountain dew, since they only sell coke products. I think that's about it. Wish I could bring my kitty it's so hard leaving them behind for 9 days!

mickeys_princess_mom
03-31-2008, 09:13 PM
I dont really bring anything. But I think the beach club is my home. :number1:

I like your style....My "comfort" is knowing that I am "home", too....:secret:, as long as I'm at Disney...
I also bring my bubble bath and buy the fluffiest, softest slippers I can find...:cloud9:

Deesdisney
04-01-2008, 01:01 PM
I bring toys, dvd and player, books, costumes, blanket, pillow, towels, soap ( etc.) and also my own sheets. Yes, I put them on every night and take them off every morning. I am sure the mousekeepers think I fold there sheets for them every morning. And of course I have a van that I drive down there.

Mickey91
04-01-2008, 08:38 PM
DVD player, pillows

Mulan
04-01-2008, 10:12 PM
I guess I don't bring any "comforts" of home. The kids bring their DS and my DH brings his IPod, but those go everywhere they go. I always wish I'd brought more pillows, but can never find any room in the vehicle for them. My DD does bring her stuffed dog "Softy", but he goes on every vacation and overnighter.

One thing I never bring enough of is MONEY!!

lyle21
04-03-2008, 01:19 PM
toiletries

coffee beans
coffee grinder

Septbride2002
04-03-2008, 02:23 PM
I use to bring our own shampoo and conditioner but I love the stuff they have in the room - so we use that now.

The one item we cannot live without - MOUNTAIN DEW:thumbsup: - the no Pepsi products on Disney makes us go through withdrawals about day 3. LOL!

We bring the laptop - our daughter can watch movies on it which makes time in the room a little easier - plus I like to get on line now and then and email family members about what a good time we are having :D

~Amanda

mickeynminnie08
04-03-2008, 02:47 PM
I
We bring the laptop
~Amanda

I know this is aweful, but I am on a tight budget....are you charged and is it possible to find a wi-fi signal from your room?

jwallace378
04-03-2008, 02:48 PM
pillows and iPod

Hull-onian
04-08-2008, 06:51 PM
One thing I never bring enough of is MONEY!!

Money is good. Disney likes it.:mickey:

elmjimmlm
04-10-2008, 06:17 PM
It seems that we take everything that is not attached to the walls...The most important is pillows, throws and animals...Every Disney animal that my kids have ever gotten has to go with us...:mickey: