PDA

View Full Version : Best Restaurant at Hollywood Studios

aurora, ariel, and bell
03-12-2008, 11:52 PM
I have booked Mama Melrose, but I have three girls ages 2,3, and 4 and I think they would be bored here. Any suggestions? We could go elsewhere but havent done the studios yet.
I have
chef mickey
askersauras
CRT
rose and crown (for illuminations)
coral reef
donalds breakfast safari
o hana's

Thanks for any suggestions

mrsgaribaldi
03-13-2008, 04:00 AM
We really like the Brown Derby at the studios. It might be to adult for your kids though. I really enjoyed Hollywood & Vine. It was a buffet with a big selection. There was a turkey pot roast that I loved. The kids might find more that they like to eat there.:mickey:

auntfrannie
03-13-2008, 07:19 AM
Does Hollywood & Vine still have the Playhouse Disney character lunch? Your girls might enjoy that.

The 50s Prime Time Cafe is also a good time for families; especially if Mom gets caught with her elbows on the table and gets reprimanded by the server (kids always seem to enjoy when their parents get scolded).

tennantsrwe
03-13-2008, 07:21 AM
Hi!
I also say check with H&V for their Playhouse Disney breakfast or lunch. That would really keep your children entertained! :thumbsup: Also I would think 50's Prime Time Diner would be fun, too.

linedropper
03-13-2008, 08:39 AM
Notjing wrong with the sci fi theatre, my kids love eating in the cars! And the food has always been good!

Steve:mickey:

JPL
03-13-2008, 09:39 AM
I would go with the Character meal at H&V since at that age the Sci-fi may scare them a little. The food at H*V is also very good and it's a buffet which may be perfect for picky eaters espeacially at that age.

lightyearfan
03-13-2008, 11:04 AM
i would have to say either the Sci-Fi which i think that the girls would like, very good atmosphere and the other would be 50's Prime Time , also very good atmosphere and child friendly, as well as a good childs menu.

Enjoy your trip

Victor

vorchik
03-13-2008, 11:09 AM
My 5 years old DD really enjoyed the Sci Fi! But this years we decided to try Hollywood and Vine Playhouse lunch :blush:

NJ Camper
03-13-2008, 11:19 AM
I wold say see where you can get adrs also but a buffet gives you options but would also recomend 50's prime time both for you and kids i love there chicken pot pie but you better be hungry its a big portion and very good
good luck sure any one of these you got so far would work they all are great

xipetotec
03-13-2008, 04:36 PM
I have booked Mama Melrose, but I have three girls ages 2,3, and 4 and I think they would be bored here. Any suggestions? We could go elsewhere but havent done the studios yet.
I have
chef mickey
askersauras
CRT
rose and crown (for illuminations)
coral reef
donalds breakfast safari
o hana's

Thanks for any suggestions

Well for the studios, this was our first trip straying from the "Fantasmic Dinner Package" restaurants. (we've never done Brown Derby, but in the past had done mama Melrose and H&V ). We ate at 50's Prime Time Cafe and I can tell you that my family ( that is 16 of us, parents, aunt + kids, cousin + kids and my own DW and kids ) all agree this is a "must to again"!

GrmGrninGost
03-13-2008, 08:40 PM
50's Prime Time is a lot of food, and the food is wonderful! For my family of 4 it is by far our favorite TS at the Studios! :mickey:

wilshade
03-13-2008, 09:34 PM
50's Prime Time Cafe'!:thumbsup:

bruin1344
03-13-2008, 10:23 PM
Mama Melrose is a mediocre italian food but I am picky Italian food eater since i am half italian and from boston which has tons of great italian food restaurants.

50s Cafe was good. Never tried the other restaurants at mgm.

Tink#64
03-13-2008, 11:26 PM
Another vote here for Sci Fi Dine In Theatre! We've eaten there every trip, since youngest DS was 4!We have always been pleased with the food. It's a must do for us every trip! DS's have always loved it! They really like getting the glow in the dark ice cubes and eating in cars while watching those silly movies on the screen. The painted night sky on the ceiling is so cool! :cool:

Kairi_7378
03-14-2008, 08:36 AM
The Brown Derby is fantastic. We saw many families with young children there. Most seemed to be doing fine in the restaurant. It seemed like the kids' meal seections were better there than at some of the other restaurants.

Jared
03-14-2008, 08:40 AM
The Hollywood Brown Derby is probably the best restaurant in the park, but it's not necessarily appropriate for young children. I would try Hollywood & Vine. The food is solid for a buffet, and your kids should like the character interaction.

:tasty:

Shanaynay
03-14-2008, 10:55 PM
I personally really, really, really, enjoy the Hollywood Brown Derby, but for a kid, it may be a little bit boring. I liked the 50's Primetime cafe, too, the food was good, and the 50's memorabilia and such was really neat. I don't know, but I would pick either one of those if I were chosing a place to eat in Hollywood Studios :thumbsup:

ldc12377
03-15-2008, 09:12 AM
I know that I'm in the minority here but I think the Studios have two really great TS places to eat. We love both Sci-Fi and 50's Prime Time. My kids (DS8, DD6, and DS2, at the time) also loved them both. On our next trip, we are having a hard time picking between them because we usually only spend one day at the Studios so we can only pick one. Both have very good comfort food...not much is too fancy which is wonderful for us. The kids loved eating in the cars at Sci-Fi. The movie clips aren't really that scary, more funny than anything. The kids like 50's because they got to see what things were when Memaw was little, whic they thought was so funny. When you walk into the restaurant, it really does feel like you have steps back in time. It is so cool. Be for warned though that if you are going to 50's solely for the interaction with the wait staff, you may be disappointed. When we ate there, our server didn't really play around with us that much. I did get to see some of the other servers playing with their tables so that was neat but it would have been fun if ours had played some. Just a little tip.
We are trying Hollywood and Vine for the first time on our next trip so I can't say anything about that one but IMO buffets aren't always the best choice when you are eating with young kids. We have found that we are constantly going to the buffet for something which makes it very difficult to enjoy the meal. We really like the family style restaurants but there aren't any of those at the Studios.

CaptSmee
03-16-2008, 01:29 AM
Sci-Fi Dine Inn is my fav at the studios. The food is pricey for what it is, but I love watching the old movie clips! Awesome concept, a themed restaurant for a themed park!

crazykids
03-16-2008, 09:53 AM
Just came back a couple weeks ago w/ my 3 little ones (ages 2, 3, & 5). We went to Mama Melrose & it was just a dinner for them, nothing fancy. They give the kids some crayons like every other place along w/ the kids menu. There were more things for them to look at here (hanging from the ceiling, etc.) then Brown Derby. We tried the Brown Derby w/ them on our last trip & that was their most boring meal of the trip. I think it was too adult for them.

On a side note - we had the steak here & it was just as good, if not better, then the one I had at Le Cellier!

GoofyScooter
03-16-2008, 01:04 PM
Mama Melrose's was good however we enjoyed the Brown Derby better. The Brown Derby is pricey however well worth it.

DANAM
03-22-2008, 09:31 AM
My kids 3 and 5 love Hollywood and Vine always ask to go. We also did Mama Melrose as far as entertainment goes there is none but my kids really enjoy the food here. So do my DH and I which is a big plus. I feel like Mama Melrose is one of those laid back places we where there almost 2 hrs, partly because they lost my slip of paper that tells them when to seat us, but it don't effect us in the end that was our best meal last trip. Have a great trip

lockedoutlogic
03-22-2008, 09:44 AM
The Brown Derby is the best.....

Sci-Fi, Primetime, and Mama Melrose are all good...but sometimes the expereience varies

Hollywood and Vine is not good....

my experiences

DNS
03-22-2008, 11:23 AM
I think Sci-fi would be a good choice too.

LandFan
03-22-2008, 09:20 PM
My first reaction was "you're kidding, right?" :blush: We aren't big fans of any food inside DHS. Mama Melrose is OK and we think Sci-Fi is great fun and average food. Other than that, the Brown Derby is so-so and overpriced and H&V is a typical buffet with some decent choices. We tend to go to BOMA or Raglan Road or another resort to dine on DHS days.

Sorry:blush:

LudwigVonDrake
03-23-2008, 03:43 PM
50s Prime Time would be great for your kids. It's more family oriented.