PDA

View Full Version : Walking Distance to Parks from CBR?

brewcrew26
03-12-2008, 11:36 AM
DH was looking at the resort map last night and thinks its feesible to walk from CBR to Epcot, MGM and Downtown Disney. I told him it would be miles of walking (not to mention on top of all the miles that'll be logged in the parks).

Does anyone know the exact mileage from CBR to those areas?

:bang: .o O ( Why did I marry someone who loves walking absolutely everywhere?)

King Triton
03-12-2008, 12:21 PM
I don't think its even allowed since you'd have to cross some busy streets.

Even walking from one end of CBR to the other is a fairly long walk.

JerseyDad
03-12-2008, 12:25 PM
...based on the fact that...from my observation of the roads that lead to Epcot, MGM, and Downtown Disney....there are no sidewalks...I'm not so sure it'd be a great idea to walk!!

....but....I think that if you were to TRY and walk the same route that the bus would take....it's:

4.57 Miles to Epcot's front gate

2.5 Miles to Downtown Disney

2.2 Miles to MGM's front gate

.....do yourself a favor, tell your DH that:

Things on a map appear closer than in reality
There are no sidewalks
It's better to spend time walking IN the parks than TO the parks
There ARE no sidewalks
It's better to get tired doing fun stuff
There ARE NO sidewalks
It's better to actually get to the parks in one piece than it is to walk
There ARE NO SIDEWALKS!!

...stay safe...and take the bus :)

auntfrannie
03-12-2008, 01:06 PM
Has anyone mentioned there are no sidewalks? Oh yeah, JerseyDad might have mentioned it! :funny:

bruin1344
03-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Never walk to a park unless its BC/YC or Boardwalk to Epcot.

CleveRocks
03-14-2008, 11:47 AM
The thing that's most deceptive on the maps is that CBR is across the street from Epcot. This is true, but it's the BACK of Epcot.

If he's up for a REAL challenge, he can do this ...

Start at CBR's Building 56, which is in the Aruba village. Walk across the grass to the street and then cross the street (I believe it's Buena Vista something-or-another). Once across the street, walk across the grass and then through a marshy area. If the landmines and machine guns don't get him, he'll have to scale a fence and a wall, and then he'll find himself backstage in World Showcase, about halfway between Italy and Germany.

Bring money to the Orange County Sheriff's office. After you bail him out, make him walk back from THERE!

In addition, I think it's important for you to know that there are no sidewalks. ;)

wilshade
03-14-2008, 12:47 PM
All of the roads on Disney property wind thier way around thigns to give the illusion of distance and succlusion to the resorts and the parks. And, as has been stated, there are no sidewalks.

It is simply not safe to walk them.

Disney Transportation is not so horrible that walking is a better option.

Exceptions:

Contemporary Resort. You CAN walk from there to the MK. There is a pathway for that. But, you do have to cross a busy street.

Beach Club, Yacht Club, Boardwalk. There are marked pathways to Epcot and the Studios.

brewcrew26
03-14-2008, 05:37 PM
The thing that's most deceptive on the maps is that CBR is across the street from Epcot. This is true, but it's the BACK of Epcot.

If he's up for a REAL challenge, he can do this ...

Start at CBR's Building 56, which is in the Aruba village. Walk across the grass to the street and then cross the street (I believe it's Buena Vista something-or-another). Once across the street, walk across the grass and then through a marshy area. If the landmines and machine guns don't get him, he'll have to scale a fence and a wall, and then he'll find himself backstage in World Showcase, about halfway between Italy and Germany.

Bring money to the Orange County Sheriff's office. After you bail him out, make him walk back from THERE!

In addition, I think it's important for you to know that there are no sidewalks. ;)

I didn't realize there were gun turrets along the back of World Showcase! They do an excellent job of hiding that in all the reading material and postcards! :rotfl:

sainter
03-14-2008, 05:47 PM
I didn't realize there were gun turrets along the back of World Showcase! They do an excellent job of hiding that in all the reading material and postcards!

Of course, Disney is the master of illusion!! :thumbsup:

Scar
03-14-2008, 06:12 PM
brewcrew26 (and DH),

I am here to respectfully disagree with everyone else who has responded here. And I feel I am qualified to do so as I have done it. There is a sidewalk along Buena Vista Drive that starts at Victory Way and goes to the path between Boardwalk and DHS (MGM). All you have to do is walk northwest from Aruba to the corner of Victory and Buena Vista. Cross both streets (there is a light) and head west down the sidewalk, past the Hess station until you come to the bridge that goes over the waterway from Boardwalk to DHS. Then just go down the slope (there is still a sidewalk that does this) and turn left for DHS or right for Boardwalk and Epcot. The walk to DHS is around a half hour and to Epcot about 45 mins. Trust me, I have done it.

Walking to DTD however, there is no sidewalk.

Please ask if you have any questions.

Scar
03-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Oh, and did I mention that there is, yes there is a sidewalk. ;)

brewcrew26
03-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Thank you Scar and everyone else for letting me know your opinions. I'll have to show DH all these responses.

He can walk...I'm taking the bus. I just have to remember to bring mail money just in case the dogs get him somewhere behind Germany.

TheRustyScupper
03-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Walking time from CBR
. . . 7-minutes from room to bus stop
. . . 30-seconds from bus door to bus seat
. . . 30-seconds from bus seat to bus door
. . . 4-minutes from bus to park entrance

lockedoutlogic
03-15-2008, 05:34 PM
First off.....

you're nuts if you walk anywhere from Caribbean....there is far too much traffic and there are no pedestrian crosswalks?

Why?....because it isn't designed for it.

Second....if you did run across the 6 lane road filled with semi-conscious bus drivers and semi-coherent cabbies to get to the back of Epcot...after you climb the outer chain link fence and the moat/ retention pond to get into the service area....you will find a nice concrete rim around the world shocase....where they stack the garbage and horticulture equipment and all the Italian, German, French, and British kids who work in the pavilions stand around and smoke....

sorry if you just got a glimpse of the great oz....

Piglet822
03-15-2008, 11:05 PM
Second....if you did run across the 6 lane road filled with semi-conscious bus drivers and semi-coherent cabbies to get to the back of Epcot..

No offense towards anyone who drives or rents a car but there's way too many tourists out there that don't know their way around property but are in a hurry to get there anyway.
As noted there are some sidewalks but basically Disney is not designed for pedestrian traffic along their roadways.
Whatever you and DH decide for transportation be careful and have a good trip!

Polynesian Dweller
03-16-2008, 12:51 AM
Despite of what lockedoutlogic insists, there are crosswalks, they are at the intersection of Victory Way and Buena Vista Drive which is also where the sidewalk starts. The sidewalk is on the north side of Buena Vista and runs west toward DHS and Boardwalk (it does not run east toward DTD).

Following the sidewalk you come to the where it intersects with the walkway between DHS and the Boardwalk Hotel. You then follow that to International entrance to Epcot (or for that matter to DHS). At no point are you jumping fences or moats to get to EPcot or DHS. Its a designed pedestrian walkway. However, do not try to walk to DTD.

If you want to see the route, its clearly seen on Google Earth included the marked crosswalk. Not sure I'd recommend it because it wouldn't be the most pleasant walk until you get to the DHS/Boardwalk walkway but clearly the sidewalk and crosswalk are there to allow it and I have seen people walking there, though not frequently.