PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrowland Indy Speedway -> Tomorrrowland Speedway

Main Street Jim
03-12-2008, 07:38 AM
I'm not sure if this was posted elsewhere here, or anywhere else for that matter, because if it was, I certainly would have commented ;)

The Tomorrowland INDY Speedway is no more. It's reverting back to its mid-1990s name, the Tomorrowland Speedway. Signage is/has been changed around most of the attraction. The original 1909 Indianapolis Motor Speedway brick that was in our "Yard of Bricks" here is gone. The "Tomorrowland Indy Speedway" sign that was down in Turn One (the "Daytona Corner", or the corner near Space Mountain) has been re-lettered. We have one car back in the shop that has been re-decaled with the "new-old" name. Tom Carnegie's (the announcer you hear around the track) spiels have had the "Indy" edited out. The logos have been removed from the "garage doors" out in front of the attraction. Remaining Indy signage includes the queue information placards, the flag that flies atop the billboards, and the Indy car show cars, along with the actual ride vehicles. That's all expected to change soon, but I'm not sure how long it will take to re-decal 128 race cars.

No one will tell me for sure, but I suspect that Disney had a 10-year agreement with Indianoplis Motor Speedway for the attraction, and that deal ran out.

tennantsrwe
03-12-2008, 07:50 AM
I, too, have the same thought about the '10 year deal' running out w/ INDY. I wonder if Disney will partner with another racing circuit for the speedway? :mickey:

CleveSJM
03-12-2008, 10:59 AM
I, too, have the same thought about the '10 year deal' running out w/ INDY. I wonder if Disney will partner with another racing circuit for the speedway? :mickey:

Or if it's time to make it a Cars attraction? Maybe go green with some eco-friendly electric cars that look like the Cars characters?

bouncer
03-12-2008, 11:31 AM
Nascar ???

Main Street Jim
03-15-2008, 07:34 AM
Or if it's time to make it a Cars attraction? Maybe go green with some eco-friendly electric cars that look like the Cars characters?NO MORE Pixar-land...there's too much already there in my opinion...

We do have a gas-electric hybrid in the works. The car is put together and currently being tested. It was out at the Speedway for us to look at, and to get an idea of how it works. We should be getting trained on it this spring :thumbsup:

CleveSJM
03-15-2008, 09:37 AM
NO MORE Pixar-land...there's too much already there in my opinion...

We do have a gas-electric hybrid in the works. The car is put together and currently being tested. It was out at the Speedway for us to look at, and to get an idea of how it works. We should be getting trained on it this spring :thumbsup:

Agreed. Everything new seems Pixar-related. But some theming is better than no theming.

Great news on the hybrids. Should cut back on noise pollution too! :thumbsup:

Donald A
03-15-2008, 05:56 PM

Let me just say that I know from a source I can not name that the contract Disney has with the Indianapolis Motor Speedway has expired.

lockedoutlogic
03-15-2008, 06:04 PM
I wonder if the recent merger of IRL and CART...finally....has anything to do with the name being dropped....

consult your local Barnes and Noble for an in depth history of the competing open wheel car racing series....

Stitichgawrsh
03-17-2008, 04:37 PM
With the possible new addition of the "Cars" vehicles, maybe they could do some rehab to the track. The Autopia in Disney land in California in my opinion is better and has a longer track. Maybe Disney could change it up to be Radiator springs and change the track.

brer frog
03-18-2008, 12:15 AM
When I was at the ride yesterday everything still had 'indy' speedway

TheRustyScupper
03-18-2008, 12:33 PM
1) I wondered why "Indy" seemed to have been missing.
2) I thought my memory was going.
3) OK, so going more than it already is - it's a Senior Thing.
4) If the contract with Indy Raceway is over, it makes sense.
5) I can see two alternatives
. . . a NASCAR tie-in (with appropriate fees to WDW)
. . . a PIXAR "Cars" tie-in
6) It think NASCAR would be highly profitable for WDW in fees.
7) But, I think Cars would be a better themed ride for the kids.
8) I'd love to see the tots riding around in Mater or Lightning or Hudson!

NOTE: I do not have any info nor even heard rumors of future tie-ins, so this is nothing more than personal speculation.

scoot241
03-18-2008, 07:12 PM

Seriously... if the Speedway becomes Cars-themed, they might as well pull down the Astro-Orbiter rockets and replace them with Wall-Es to ride in, and just put up the Pixarland sign.

DisFan01
03-19-2008, 05:22 PM

I completely agree! :mickey:

Stitichgawrsh
03-19-2008, 06:32 PM
I do agree with the "NO MORE PIXAR" but maybe they could do a refurb on the just the plain indy cars and make it like Autopia in California.

Buttercup
03-21-2008, 09:22 AM
The track in WDW used to be longer (like Autopia) before Mickey's ToonTown was added (at the time it was Mickey's Birthdayland). They had to shorten the track simply because of the space available.
I wouldn't mind if it was Cars related. :mickey:

Jared
03-22-2008, 03:14 PM
Or if it's time to make it a Cars attraction? Maybe go green with some eco-friendly electric cars that look like the Cars characters?
I've been pushing this idea for years already! I don't quite understand this mass aversion to Pixar-themed attractions, but I do not agree with that thought. The Tomorrowland Speedway needs a change, and the Cars characters would be a perfect fit.

hubbyofadisneyholic
03-22-2008, 03:32 PM
Seriously... if the Speedway becomes Cars-themed, they might as well pull down the Astro-Orbiter rockets and replace them with Wall-Es to ride in, and just put up the Pixarland sign.

Shhhh...don't give them any ideas.:secret:

garthbarth1
03-22-2008, 06:22 PM
Oh this is so sad for my husband and I! We are from Indy, and it always makes us feel even more at home when we seen the Indy Speedway! We are also huge race fans! If they are changing it to another theme, that makes sense....but if not I think they should leave it connected to Indy. It is, after all "The greatest spectacle in racing"-as well as the oldest race!" Too bad about the contract expiring!

KevMcNJ
03-23-2008, 12:30 AM
The original 1909 Indianapolis Motor Speedway brick that was in our "Yard of Bricks" here is gone

the bricks didnt arrive @ Indy until 1911

the track was holding races in 1909, but it had an oil and crushed gravel surface back then.

that surface didnt work so they went to bricks in time for the inaugural Indianapolis 500 in 1911.

forgive me for splitting hairs.

Im not from Indy but I am a bit of an Indy 500 geek

Boost
03-25-2008, 09:12 PM
In re: the response that there would be appropriate fees to WDW for a NASCAR tie-in, here is some inside info from someone who worked at International Speedway Corp., sister company to NASCAR:

ISC takes no less than 25% for the licensing deals that it cuts. Their bean counters would estimate the amount of real estate taken up in WDW by the Speedway, calculate how many people come through the gates annually, calculate how much F&B is consumed in/near said Speedway, calculate how many souvenirs are sold near WEDway kiosk, Speedway kiosk, and surrounding areas, and present this to WDW. Then, they would want to start selling TONS of NASCAR licensed items in as many outlets in the parks, hotels and Downtown Disney as possible. For the sake of finding a partner for the attraction, Disney would be much better off to find a less aggressive entity with which to engage into an agreement. By doing so, the essence of the attraction and the park would be less diluted and would remain true to its original form and concept.

LONESTAR
03-25-2008, 09:34 PM
I like nascar but see no need to bring it to the MK.
Pixar or not Cars theme makes the most since.

joonyer
03-26-2008, 03:45 PM
The Tomorrowland Speedway doesn't need a theming tie-in with Nascar, or "Cars" or even a renewal of its Indianapolis Motor Speedway connection.

What it needs is a bulldozer. It is the biggest waste of prime theme-park real estate in all of WDW.

1) Even from a kid's perspective; my boys (who admittedly had ridden go-karts at amusement parks before going to MK for the first time) first rode on the Speedway when they were 6 and 9 years old, and the first thing they said when exiting the ride was "Dad, that is the worst go-kart ride we've ever been on". They have never wanted to ride on the Speedway again, even when there was nobody waiting in line.
2) This attraction completely lacks any "magic" whatsoever, and furthermore, it's not even very much fun. It's mostly annoying because of how slow the cars are and getting rammed from behind. The go-kart ride at almost every cheesy, sleazy, greasy local amusement park are much more fun than the Speedway at MK. It's not even as much fun as the bumper cars at a carnival midway (at least there you know you'll get rammed). Neither "Cars" nor Nascar theming will make it more fun.
3) It is very slow loading, but its most egregious sin is that it takes up a huge amount of space for so little return; space that could be put to so much better use for something truly magical and imaginative.
4) Yes, I realize that little kids that have never been on a "car" ride before might think it's fun, (at least the first time they ride) but a Disney attraction, especially one at the "MAGIC" Kingdom, ought to be 10 times better than what you find at a local roadside amusement park, not worse.
5) Other attractions at WDW may be slow loading, or only appeal to little ones, but at least they have a little "magic" or imagination in their creation and execution. But the Speedway is, as my kids say, "totally lame".