PDA

View Full Version : Pool Decisions

Bocephus1
03-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Hi All,

This is my first posting and I could use your collective experience and knowledge. I'm planning a trip this August and I was planning on staying at the Wilderness Lodge. I thought the kids would love it. While reviewing pitures of various resorts, the girls actually perferred the Dragon themed pool at the Port Orleans French Quarter. Can someone out there help me feel the love for the WL pool? I know it's a small part of the big piture but I don't stay on site very often and I want the entire experience to be perfect. Any help is much appreciated.

moe513
03-11-2008, 09:55 AM
The fq is great and I think the pool is great for the little ones. However, if you go to fq you lose the great location of wl.

MNNHFLTX
03-11-2008, 12:16 PM
It's understandable that children might find the dragon pool at the Port Orleans French Quarter appealing, based on pictures. But you can reassure your girls that the pool area at Wilderness Lodge is very large and a lot of fun. And it is themed in a way that the whole family will love. It starts with hot springs that bubble up in the lobby, which then runs down hill as a creek, amidst stones and wildflowers, before flowing over waterfalls to the pool at the bottom. And while you're in the pool or hot tubs (there are two of those), you can see the geyser go off every hour. The water slide itself is fun and about as long as the one at POFQ. Plus there is a sandy beach to play on just a short distance away from the pool.

You can't really go wrong at either resort, but as a whole I prefer Wilderness Lodge.

Tygger7
03-11-2008, 01:32 PM
It's understandable that children might find the dragon pool at the Port Orleans French Quarter appealing, based on pictures. But you can reassure your girls that the pool area at Wilderness Lodge is very large and a lot of fun. And it is themed in a way that the whole family will love. It starts with hot springs that bubble up in the lobby, which then runs down hill as a creek, amidst stones and wildflowers, before flowing over waterfalls to the pool at the bottom. And while you're in the pool or hot tubs (there are two of those), you can see the geyser go off every hour. The water slide itself is fun and about as long as the one at POFQ. Plus there is a sandy beach to play on just a short distance away from the pool.

You can't really go wrong at either resort, but as a whole I prefer Wilderness Lodge.

Agreed. I would consider the amount of time you'll spend at the pool versus time spent at the parks, especially MK. We stayed at POFQ, because of the pool, back in 2001 and did not like the transportation at all. It took at least an hour to get to & from the parks, and the dragon pool was always packed solid. We're totally sold on the WL now, and my daughter loves their pool a thousand times more than the POFQ dragon pool now. It takes 10 mins or less to get to MK, and usually on 15 mins to Epcot or DHS. AK is the farthest, taking 20-25 mins. Plus, you can sit on the beach at WL and watch the Electric Light Parade on Bay Lake...something you can't do at POFQ. :thumbsup:

Dream'nDisney
03-11-2008, 02:32 PM
We've never stayed at WL, so my only comments will be on FQ. We stayed there when the kids were 4 and 6. They loved the dragon slide. We went in August, and swam every afternoon to cool off and nap before heading back to the parks. FQ is great in that it is a small resort, so you don't have a far walk to anything there. Another perk is that the FQ guests are always the first on and off the busses to and from the parks, picking up the guests at Riverside last (at least that is the way they use to do it). Good luck in your decision. :mickey:

scootch713
03-11-2008, 02:36 PM
My girls were 5 and 8 this past november for our trip. They absolutely LOVE the pool and slide. The lifeguards were great, played games with them. There is even a stream that goes from the Lobby to the pool and they did rubber ducky races. We are going back to WL this November, for the pool! If you pm me your email, I can send you some pics of the slide. oh... mommy enjoyed the slide too!

scootch713
03-11-2008, 02:37 PM
It takes 10 mins or less to get to MK, and usually on 15 mins to Epcot or DHS. AK is the farthest, taking 20-25 mins. Plus, you can sit on the beach at WL and watch the Electric Light Parade on Bay Lake...something you can't do at POFQ. :thumbsup:

Plus if you take the Magic Kingdom bus(something not talked about alot) it is about a three minute ride. We found this out and only take the boat when we have extra time.

mom2four
03-11-2008, 06:20 PM
We just returned from a stay at the WL and my kids loved the pool, it was their favorite thing about the entire trip. The Wl is very relaxing, such a nice quiet break after the craziness of the parks.

Something others have not mentioned. There are ducks in the pool. No kidding. Ducks have a habitat near by and think the pool is their personal pond, the kids loved it.