PDA

View Full Version : DVC removing coffee mugs and glasses from studios

dlpmikki
03-10-2008, 07:04 PM
It seems DVC has made a change for the worse this week in studios by removing ceramic coffee mugs and glasses, just leaving styrofoam cups.

If this is true (and I've seen reports in several places so am afraid it may be) what do you think? I hate the idea as I like to drink coffee out of a proper cup and wine out of some kind of glass - and at least I can wash them up afterwards.

PrincessErin
03-10-2008, 07:07 PM
I don't like this at all... if it is true :confused: but could it be maybe they are replacing them and this is just a temporary thing?? That would be my guess.

Johnno52
03-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Most likely "they were listening to members again" however this is not a problem for us as I've seen a investigative tv show they way some maids clean cups and glasses. We always use our refillable cups for tea and coffee.

offwego
03-10-2008, 08:03 PM
the impact to the enviornment is another reason to address this. Styrofoam single use cups are some of the worst things to add to landfill as they take a very long time to degrade. (And I mean an incredible amount of time)

JPL
03-10-2008, 08:09 PM
I have to say as a recent DVC Purchaser I am not very happy with the way service seems to be going. I heard great things about the customer and this was one of the reasons I decided to buy in. I enjoyed having the mug for my morning coffee and the glasses if I needed or wanted one. What's next take away the fridge or microwave from the studios. This downward spiral in service and amenities at WDW really has me concerned.

dolphinmickey9170
03-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Why would they do this? Is it a matter of stealing? Has anyone spoken to member services? This is silly. I sure hope it isn't true either.

wendy*darling
03-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Not a good move in my opinion either.
Styrofoam is definitely the wrong choice as a substitute- what ever happened to the "Environmentality" campaign they promoted?

I didn't even like the paper plates and plastic utensils and did not understand why the guests who preferred studios were not "worthy" of the amenities of the 1 and 2 bedroom guests.
Taking away the glasses and mugs to create more trash is a bad decision. :(

(edited to add: I just sent DVC an email about this rumor. If I get a response, I'll let everyone know.)

Natazu
03-10-2008, 11:12 PM
One of the first things they tell you when you meet with sales is that as a member, you always get to stay in Deluxe Accommodations. One of the perks of staying deluxe is real glasses and real coffee mugs. I wonder if they thought of that?

I did notice in the Disneyfiles magazine they are preparing to remove per diem Internet fees. I guess I'll trade my coffee mug if I have to.

Ed
03-11-2008, 07:43 AM
Glad you saw that, Mikki. We're staying in a studio at SSR in early April, and I absolutely ABHOR drinking from styrofoam cups, and, like you, I find drinking wine from a paper cup leaves a whole lot to be desired. It's comparable to drinking a fine beer out of a hubcap. :beer:

And, as was pointed out earlier, styrofoam is the worst possible choice as far as the environment goes. Disney makes a big deal out of how "environmentally friendly" and "green" they are. What were they thinking this time??? :confused:

Guess we'll have to take our own coffee cups and wine glasses. :(

I think I'll join the e-mail flood protesting this.

:mad:

locodemickey
03-11-2008, 08:16 AM
I also read on another site that they have taken away the dishsoap. So you can't even wash your styrofoam cup! Are they going to provide more than 4? Again, this is not good for the environment!:(

Horizon93
03-11-2008, 08:32 AM
This is a terrible move. For many DVCers, a studio is perfect but this cheapens it. when we arrived at OKW on our first trip last year, DW used the dish soap and washed the mugs and glasses. That morning coffee in the mug was great.

If the deluxe resorts have them we absolutely should as well.

And Styrofoam? Are they kidding? I thought they were trying to be green resorts.

JPL
03-11-2008, 08:50 AM
So let's see taking away the Dish Soap saves money :idea: I think we have our answer 4 paper/Styrofoam cups must be cheaper than the 1/2 ounce of Detergent they give you :mad:

You would think DVC members are their most loyal customers and this should be the last place cutbacks are made.

Here's an idea raise my dues $0.001 per point to cover the Dish Detergent and any stolen or broken mugs ;)

Maleficent's Dad
03-11-2008, 11:22 AM
I just sent DVC an email about this rumor. If I get a response, I'll let everyone know.
Linda,
I can't wait to see the response they send you. I'll be joining you with emails of my own if this is indeed a fact and not rumor...

You would think DVC members are their most loyal customers and this should be the last place cutbacks are made.
Very good point!
We're down there several times a year spending quite a bit of money; you'd think that they'd want to keep people like us happy! :D Don't pinch pennies when it comes to those who spend thousands at your parks and restaurants.

JPL
03-11-2008, 01:08 PM
Linda,
I can't wait to see the response they send you.

Wanna bet it will be something along lines of

"After talking to several members and taking their concerns into account we have decided to remove the glasses and mugs based on their advise"

wendy*darling
03-11-2008, 02:14 PM
:mickey: Preliminary Update :mickey:

So, I am sitting at my desk working at home this afternoon and the phone rings. Display say "Disney Vacation Club" and I thought "Wow! That was fast!!"

It turned out to be our guide, Frank Perez, making his every other year courtesy calls. We talked about our vacation plans and that we were happy with our membership.

Then, I told him I thought he was calling about the email I had sent last night. He seemed genuinely pleased about the coincidence.
Neither he, nor the guide sitting near him, had heard anything about this "rumor."
I told him what people are saying and speculating on the discussion boards.
Environmental concerns, not a "deluxe" thing to do to the loyal members, cost cutting, etc., etc.
He mentioned something about another hotel chain secretly videotaping their housekeeping staff and they were not washing the mugs/glasses in the rooms. But he said- "That's not Disney. We are sure that everything is clean during every room setup." He also said the dish soap and mugs & glasses cost next to nothing, so he did not see that as being an issue either.

He did say that they are having their quarterly (I think) Round Table tomorrow and he would bring it up and call me back.

So, I should have some sort of answer- at least from Frank- tomorrow.

Stay tuned! :beer:

dlpmikki
03-11-2008, 03:55 PM
There was some magazine report about glasses mugs not being cleaned properly in hotels and one of the hotels covered with problems was the Contemporary. Not sure why this would effect DVC though.

c&d
03-11-2008, 04:48 PM
There was some magazine report about glasses mugs not being cleaned properly in hotels and one of the hotels covered with problems was the Contemporary. Not sure why this would effect DVC though.

I saw it on TV and the first time they showed the Contemporary mousekeeping changed the glasses. The next time mousekeeping just wiped it off. :sick:

pox24
03-11-2008, 04:50 PM
I emailed DVC to see their response. If its true I will be truly outraged. 30 grand for styrofoam. Thats a deal breaker. I don't care how many hotels they build or if there is free internet.:mad:

Goes4FastPass
03-11-2008, 05:07 PM
I emailed DVC to see their response. If its true I will be truly outraged. 30 grand for styrofoam. Thats a deal breaker. I don't care how many hotels they build or if there is free internet.:mad:
As a person still looking at DVC - but not yet a member - threads like this worry me.

The question is, how much, little by little, feature by feature, 1 quality point at a time, can the Disney Company decrease what they provide DVC mebers over a decades long contract before the member can say, "You are no longer giving my what I paid for." ?

JPL
03-11-2008, 06:03 PM

And this is exactly what Disney is going to use to Justify the Cutback. Saying DVC members were concerned about what happened at the Contemporary so we decided to eliminate the problem at DVC. And of course throw in the line to giveour Members the best possible service and a worry free stay :rolleyes:

dlpmikki
03-11-2008, 06:33 PM
I'm getting reports that seem to confirm this story as true. The really annoying thing is that studios have sinks and used to have washing up liquid so folks could wash cups/glasses themselves even before they used them if any doubt about their cleanliness. I know I have had to wash stuff in one bedrooms before now.

It seems to me that with the facilities DVC has they should be the last place that implements this change - we can wash up. I am afraid that I think that anyone who uses DVC studios should be letting DVC know what they think - starting with the email or contact form via the DVC website. This just isn't acceptable!

Does anyone know if this is a Disney wide issue - ie are they removing coffee cups and glasses from all hotel rooms? If not why not and if they are why remove them from where you can actually clean them properly yourselves?

MinnieMommie
03-11-2008, 07:22 PM
This is unfortunate. I will send an email too. Bad for the enviorment, bad esthetically and not what was part of the deal. Syrofoam is NOT delux accomdations. I protest! :(

Maleficent's Dad
03-11-2008, 11:06 PM
I just read Deb Wills newsletter, and she's pretty reliable.

She confirms that DVC studios will swith to "disposable" cups in lieu of glasses and ceramic mugs.

Time to start those emails... :(

wendy*darling
03-11-2008, 11:51 PM
She confirms that DVC studios will swith to "disposable" cups in lieu of glasses and ceramic mugs.
And... she had it in the "NEWS" section- not the rumor section. :(

I recommend you send your emails both through the "Contact Us" link on the DVC member website AND to your sales rep. let them know how you feel.

DH and I choose studios more often now that we travel without the kids more than with them. Choosing a studio means we can make more trips on our available points- and spend more money in WDW! I don't like being given Motel 6 "amenities" for all the cash we have handed over to Disney. :mad:

I guess I could choose a 1 bedroom villa instead, and just go less often. I wonder if that's what they hope to get out of this change?

AHOTE
03-12-2008, 12:55 AM
I really didn't think that a studio unit, or any unit, in a delux resort like SSR or any DVC resort should have anything less than ceramic cups and glasses. While it bothers me that they'll be taking them away I'm not at all surprised. I'll just bring my own reuseable cups and glasses. Hopefuly the "disposable cups & glasses" they provide will be eco-friendly solo type waxed cups and glasses, after all they have returned to paper straws in a lot of locations in the parks. This is something we might just need to watch in the long run.
Maybe they'll save enough money to replace the frayed, worn and dirty carpet in the last unit I had at SSR and even clean the bathroom before I get into the room...but that's another story.

Natazu
03-12-2008, 02:00 AM
Wanna bet it will be something along lines of

"After talking to several members and taking their concerns into account we have decided to remove the glasses and mugs based on their advise"
I wonder if that's the same people that complained about the dining plan having too much food so now I have to pay for my appetizers.

Tinkermom
03-12-2008, 09:53 AM
I was reading another board and folks were saying how Disney was being "cheap" and how this was a way to save money. I think this is just the opposite. Supplying the studios with these disposable cups is going to cost more than washing mugs/glasses. Also, with Disney wanting to be more "enviromentally friendly" this is a huge step backwards. There was just an article in our last DVC magazine ("Disney FIles") about a nature conservatory that Disney has partnered with. I do not think that this move supports Disney's "green" inititive.

The only thing this might prevent is the spread of illness. With all of the press recently about hotel chains not properly sanitizing glassware I would think this change is a response to that. These stories obviously stuck in my head as I have to admit that when we stayed at AKV last month I washed all of our glasses/mugs by hand real quick before I used them.

I have also read that they are no longer supplying dishsoap in the studios. Since there IS a kitchenette there should be a way to wash items such as the styrofoam cups:rolleyes:, baby bottles, mugs brought from home, etc.

Guess we will just have to buy a Mickey mug in the giftshop. Maybe this is just Disney's way to make us all have a HUGE Disney mug collection. ;)

MarkC
03-12-2008, 10:30 AM
While I sympathize with you who oppose this move, let me share with you my thoughts on why they made the change. As other posters have noted, there have been some articles about unclean glasses, airborne diseases, etc. I know several people who refuse to use glasses that other people (especially those they don't know) have used. Having worked in the insurance industry for the past 25 years, I know there are people who will sue for absolutely anything. They were probably told by their legal staff to make the change.

And I don't mean to be calous about this, but this does appear to be a minor issue to me. If you want to drink from a glass/cup, bring your own from home. On a scale of 1 to 10 of the seriousness of the problem, this is at best a 1, but that is only my opinion only. Others may take it more seriously. Mark

dlpmikki
03-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Mark I take your point but that is exactly why I don't understand them making the change at DVC rather than the other hotels. At DVC you have the equipment and opportunity to wash stuff yourself. As to bringing stuff yourself for some of us that isn't easy with flight weight limitations and liquid bans etc but this is supposed to be a home away from home. At home I wash up - why shouldn't I be able to at Disney (except they have now removed the washing up liquid)

ytzking
03-12-2008, 11:32 AM
And this is exactly what Disney is going to use to Justify the Cutback. Saying DVC members were concerned about what happened at the Contemporary so we decided to eliminate the problem at DVC. And of course throw in the line to giveour Members the best possible service and a worry free stay :rolleyes:

If that were the case they would eliminate them at all DVC resorts in ALL categories of rooms. I think it's just another case of DVC management saying "Let's try it and see if we get away with it."
Anything given up by the membership without a fight will most likely never be seen again.

Ed
03-12-2008, 12:52 PM
Looks to me like it is simply a knee-jerk reaction to some adverse publicity without thinking about the long-term consequences, the environmental impact, and the negative publicity such as this thread and dozens more like it on other sites.

With us being "locals", we most often rent studios because (1) it's just the two of us; (2) we try to use the least number of points per "weekend getaway" so that we can have MORE of those getaways per year; (3) which, in return, means that we are spending many more $$$ per year at WDW on food, entertainment, etc. than we would if we splurged for larger accommodations fewer times per year.

We presently have purchased a total of 400 points at no small price. We expect to get some perks and luxuries in return for our initial purchase price and our ever-increasing dues. Yes, perhaps the loss of ceramic mugs and glass drinking cups is a relatively-small issue in the grand scheme of things. Similarly, the increases in the "Pay as you Play" housekeeping fees is not an earth-shattering matter. But put these things (and others that I haven't listed) together, and you'll see that there's a gradual erosion of the things that we were all told we'd get as members. And the more the members let them get away with, the more perks and services we're going to lose. I shudder to think what's next: perhaps bring-your-own pillows because germs can be spread that way? No soaps or shampoos because someone might be allergic to them or super-sensitive to the smell of them? (I know.... I'm using some farfetched examples. Or am I??)

There's the old saying about the squeaky wheel getting the grease. I personally feel that we members need to make that squeak heard at the highest levels.

As for myself, I fully intend to trash every disposable cup in my future stays after exactly one use, even if it's a little sip of water, and drive the front desk and housekeeping folks nuts (even though this certainly is not their fault) demanding immediate replenishment of our supply. And demanding a fresh coffee carafe between every pot we brew (we drink a LOT of coffee, and bring our own grounds) because they no longer supply dishwashing lotion.

I'm composing an e-mail right now that will be going to everybody from Bob Iger down to my sales rep.

Probably won't have any effect, but I'll sure get some satisfaction out of it.

And if that fails, there's always the old faithful Orlando Sentinel who drool at the idea of publishing any negative publicity about Disney.

Unhappy? You bet I am. :mad:

JPL
03-12-2008, 02:55 PM
If that were the case they would eliminate them at all DVC resorts in ALL categories of rooms.

They couldn't eliminate them from accomadations with kitchens what would you do have to go out and buy paper plates to use the kitchens and what about pots and pans.

Anyone who knows the Disney Comapny well know they make small cutbacks to equate to big $$$ hoping most guests won't know the difference all the new DVC members and current members who never stayed in a studio after the change will never know the difference and accept the change since they never knew it was changed. This is what Disney is hoping for. There are plenty examples of them doing this over the years. We can take a look at MHSSHP and MVMCP as an example. They raised the price of the party and cut out the free pictures that use to be part of it and now offer a discount on purchasing the photos through Photopass. Regular party goers complained but the new party goers didn't since they never knew the free pictures existed and were thrilled to get a 20% discount. Disney looked at the positive responses about the discounts and saw attendance rise at the parties as well as profits they totally ignored the frequent visitors.

As for you germaphobes I wouldn't worry too much about the glasses as far as germs and bacteria go the most bacteria can be found on the TV remote this is true in every hotel and even your home. I know for a fact Disney doesn't clean the remotes at all. What's next removing the remote for the TVs. Of course not and the reason being removing the remote doesn't save them a penny and even the casual guest will notice and complain about no remote for the TV. And think about the phone you use in the room that is never cleaned either maybe a quick wipe down on the outside to remove some dust. This is about profit margins period.

Mrs Bus Driver
03-12-2008, 02:57 PM
I have only been to WDW once and will hopefully go again in Oct. I will have to stay at a value resort this trip. I have been looking forward to a time when I can purchase a DVC membership and stay at a nicer resort with a few perks, but if a studio at DVC isn't going to be much better then a room at a value resort why should I pay the extra money?:confused:

pox24
03-12-2008, 04:06 PM
I got a response from DVC. They said that based on the nature of my complaint, it would be forwarded the " Member Satisfaction Team" and they would respond to me.
Details at eleven.

Ed
03-12-2008, 04:17 PM
I have been looking forward to a time when I can purchase a DVC membership and stay at a nicer resort with a few perks, but if a studio at DVC isn't going to be much better then a room at a value resort why should I pay the extra money?:confused:

Bingo!

My point exactly.

I got a response from DVC. They said that based on the nature of my complaint, it would be forwarded the " Member Satisfaction Team" and they would respond to me.
Details at eleven.

Word to the wise:
Whatever you do, do NOT hold your breath waiting for a response. :nono:

wendy*darling
03-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Details at eleven.
I got the exact same response.
I know from our sales rep that they are having a Round Table today. Not sure who's involved. Maybe it's just to inform the sales team of this new reduction in services.

I will wait for my response (breathing comfortably while waiting, Ed ;)) from the Member Satisfaction Team. Then I will most likely write another letter to Jim Lewis (DVC President) and Bob Iger.

Ed
03-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Undoubtedly an automated response. Chances are excellent no live human read the e-mails and sent that response. :nono:

Cynical so-and-so, ain't I? :thedolls:

Keep breathing, Linda. :D

dolphinmickey9170
03-12-2008, 04:49 PM
I got the exact same response.
I know from our sales rep that they are having a Round Table today. Not sure who's involved. Maybe it's just to inform the sales team of this new reduction in services.

I will wait for my response (breathing comfortably while waiting, Ed ;)) from the Member Satisfaction Team. Then I will most likely write another letter to Jim Lewis (DVC President) and Bob Iger.

If you do write to them, please post their addresses for the rest of us to follow suit. Thanks.

I also sent a "strongly worded" email to DVC.

JPL
03-12-2008, 05:40 PM
I actually had to call Member Services and they claim to know nothing about it I actually asked if I would need my own Dish Detergent so I could plan ahead. And then talked with Quality Assurance and the woman I spoke to said wow that would be below our Disney Standards I hope it's not true. So let's hope it's still just a rumour.

dlpmikki
03-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Here are Jim's details for those who want them (I haven't actually used these but they were from a business directory for the Orlando area):

Mr. James M. Lewis
Disney Vacation Club
200 Celebration Place, 2nd Floor, Suite 210
Celebration, FL 34747
Email: [email protected]

Maleficent's Dad
03-12-2008, 08:35 PM
Emails have been sent to Customer Service, my sales rep, and Jim Lewis (thanks for his email, Mikki! Sure he's gonna love hearing from all of us!!!).

When I get a response, I'll let you all know...

JPL
03-12-2008, 08:57 PM
E-mail on the way to Jim :thumbsup:

Simba's Mom
03-12-2008, 09:01 PM
I actually had to call Member Services and they claim to know nothing about it I actually asked if I would need my own Dish Detergent so I could plan ahead. And then talked with Quality Assurance and the woman I spoke to said wow that would be below our Disney Standards I hope it's not true. So let's hope it's still just a rumour.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be a rumor:
Dear Dorothy, Thank you for contacting Member Services. The Coffee Cups in the Studios have always been Styrofoam Cups. The Drinking Glasses were made of glass and are being replaced with disposable drinking glasses. Sincerely, Larry Member Services | Online CommunicationsDisney Vacation Club
That was in response to my Email thru the member's website. Since then, I've sent another Email to the Member Satisfaction Team. No response from them yet.

Ed
03-12-2008, 09:14 PM
The Coffee Cups in the Studios have always been Styrofoam Cups.

NONSENSE! :mad:

Every studio I've stayed in had CERAMIC coffee cups.

Please notice that "Larry" (poor guy must not have a last name, or is "Member Services" his last name? :confused:) also did not address WHY they are replacing the glasses and eliminating the dish liquid.

Sorry. There I go again thinking that we members who shelled out many $$$ to join this "elite group" were entitled to any kind of logical explanation. My bad. :mad:

JPL
03-12-2008, 10:30 PM
Wow talk about a bunch of garbage!!:mad: I just stayed at OKW studio in January and had 4 Ceramic Mugs in the cabinet. I used one to have my morning coffee on the Patio. See they are hoping nobody notices and then saying this is the way it always was. I even had real mugs at CSR when I stayed there for a night.

ElenitaB
03-13-2008, 01:12 AM
Gotta love it! We stayed at studios @ BWV and @ SSR in February and had glass cups and ceramic mugs at both locations.

He mentioned something about another hotel chain secretly videotaping their housekeeping staff and they were not washing the mugs/glasses in the rooms. But he said- "That's not Disney. We are sure that everything is clean during every room setup." He also said the dish soap and mugs & glasses cost next to nothing, so he did not see that as being an issue either.
Really? I found 3 dirty mugs at our 1 bedroom @ OKW, again in February, (:ack:) and have the pictures to prove it! Once I found them, I ran every single piece of Fiestaware and all the glass cups and silverware through the dishwasher.

Me thinks that having styrofoam cups @ DVC resorts might hurt WDW's environmental rating. They recently celebrated one of their hotels being given a LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) rating by the U.S. Green Building Council (or something similar). I guess they don't much care about seeking those ratings for the DVC resorts. (Sigh)

BTW, I despise styrofoam cups and consider them not only environmentally-unfriendly but human body-unfriendly. So glad that I can find a glass cup (although maybe not a clean one) at a Motel 6, but not at DVC. :rolleyes:

Sharon1026
03-13-2008, 07:52 AM
Wow. How annoying. I will be bringing my own cups when we stay in a studio.

So why are they making this move in the studios but not in the 1bdr?

I suspect it's because the larger rooms have dishwashers....

JPL
03-13-2008, 08:44 AM
Dear Dorothy, Thank you for contacting Member Services. The Coffee Cups in the Studios have always been Styrofoam Cups. The Drinking Glasses were made of glass and are being replaced with disposable drinking glasses. Sincerely, Larry Member Services | Online CommunicationsDisney Vacation Club

Dorothy,

thought about this last night and it really bothered me that they are making stuff up. Like go away you don't know what you are talking about type stance they are taking on this.
I would e-mail Larry back and say I would appreciate an honest answer and don't like being lied too and then foward your e-mail to Jim and ask are their CMs trained to lie to members that should stir the pot a little :mad:

And I loved the disposable cups would not be up to standards answer I got from Quality Assurance who knew nothing about the changes. So they are saying we are lowering our standards or not followong them not quite sure which is true. Glad I will be out of this in 2042 ;) I can't even imagine the standards then.

Maleficent's Dad
03-13-2008, 09:22 AM
Me thinks that having styrofoam cups @ DVC resorts might hurt WDW's environmental rating. They recently celebrated one of their hotels being given a LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) rating by the U.S. Green Building Council (or something similar). I guess they don't much care about seeking those ratings for the DVC resorts. (Sigh)

BTW, I despise styrofoam cups and consider them not only environmentally-unfriendly but human body-unfriendly.
Ellen,
Excellent points - what you post here was the premise of my entire email to Jim Lewis (and sales rep, and MS).
I emphasized - in quite a lengthy email - how in the most recent Disney Files publication, Jim Lewis went on-and-on about how "Green" DVC has become.
The styrofoam cups are the antithesis of being "green."

No word yet from DVC as of this morning.

Maleficent's Dad
03-13-2008, 09:24 AM
That was in response to my Email thru the member's website. Since then, I've sent another Email to the Member Satisfaction Team. No response from them yet.

Simba's Mom,
You might want to email "Larry" back and point out his inaccuracate information.
I know that since the mid 90's, there have never been styrofoam cups in any of the DVC rooms.

Ed
03-13-2008, 09:40 AM
It really rocks my boat when people hit you with an outright lie, trying to pass it off as factual, and basically telling you that you don't know what you're talking about. :mad:

I'm anxiously waiting for Linda's rep to get back to her about what happened in the DVC roundtable meeting he referred to.

It's becoming pretty obvious that there is a definite lack of communication within the DVC offices. One group says this "wouldn't be up to Disney standards" and another says "it's always been this way". And a third says he didn't know anything about it.

Reminds me of another old saying:

"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with BS."

JPL
03-13-2008, 10:30 AM
It seems they have CRO fever at DVC Member Services.

It really amazes me how little communication there is at a Company like Disney. :shake:

wendy*darling
03-13-2008, 10:58 AM
Unfortunately, I do not have a response from my rep yet. Maybe they haven't finished coming up with their "storyline" yet? I may just have to call him back today.

I could have sworn I posted this yesterday- but it must be out in cyberspace somewhere... I think in addition to sending Jim Lewis emails, we might want to copy Bob Iger. For anyone who wishes to do so, here is his email (easily found by doing an Internet search).

Robert A. Iger
President and CEO of the Walt Disney Co.
500 S. Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521
[email protected] ([email protected])

I am most curious about the response to our emails and letters- since everything they changes these days (for the worse) seems to come "after guest comments and suggestions."

MsMin
03-13-2008, 11:04 AM
I see it a little different than you guys. The phosphate problem in central Florida is HUGE. Disney has been fighting it for years. Dishwashing liquid has not removed the phosphates from the liquid form. So think about it. The deluxe resorts do not need to supply the liquid and the 1 bedroom has the dishwasher reducing the need for liquids so to reduce the phosphate impact -- I can see some guy saying hey lets drop the dishsoap.. well we can't wash the mugs ... then give them Styrofoam. An yes Virginia..... Styrofoam is not biodegradable but you can recycle it and Disney is great when it comes to recycling.
So who wants to help restore the lakes since Disney does have it's own water plant? Would you do it if it were in fact better for the environment? Just a thought guys...

Aurora
03-13-2008, 11:10 AM
My bet is that the reason for this change is that they're stuck with a major housekeeping issue. They don't hire as many housekeepers at a DVC resort than regular resorts because there's not daily housekeeping. So in 1- and 2-bedroom rooms, the housekeepers simply load up the dishwasher and leave it on when they leave the room. In studios, there's no dishwasher, so they don't clean the dishes.

To solve the problem, they'd have to hire more housekeepers or clean rooms more often. THEREFORE since they have to preserve their cleanliness reputation it SAVES MONEY (back to the bottom-line argument) by putting in paper and styrofoam (or not putting in anything at all, ala no dishsoap).

It'll be interesting to see how they get out of this one.

BTW, the last time we were at SSR, we came back to the room to find the dishwasher running (we did not turn it on). But THERE WERE NO DISHES IN THE DISHWASHER. :shake:

JPL
03-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Very simple solution to the Mousekeeping issue change out the glasses and wash them at the central location after each guest checks out.
This has nothing to do with Phophates or anything else for that matter that involves the environment or our health and well being. It's a cost cutting measure. Plain and simple I don't use Disposable cups at home and DVC is suppose to offer the comforts of home at WDW.

Maleficent's Dad
03-13-2008, 11:46 AM
Styrofoam is not biodegradable but you can recycle it and Disney is great when it comes to recycling.
By and large, in the USA, styrofoam is NOT recycled. In fact, there are very few cities/communities that will recycle the stuff. San Francisco does recycle it, but most major US cities do not.

If you check National Geographic's website and search it, you'll find more articles about this.

There are some great companies in Canada which do recycle styrofoam.

The recycling of styrofoam has been a big topic with the EPA - and gets lots of internet chatter as well. Some people actually boycott stores/restaurants that use styrofoam. It's a very cheap way of serving things like coffee to go.

Maleficent's Dad
03-13-2008, 11:51 AM
Robert A. Iger
President and CEO of the Walt Disney Co.
500 S. Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521
[email protected] ([email protected])

Thanks again, Linda!
Now I can say, Iger as been emailed as well! ;)

JPL
03-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Still waiting for responses to my e-mails :wait: I really hope they lie to me as well so I can forward the lie to Iger :thedolls:

MsMin
03-13-2008, 01:06 PM
By and large, in the USA, styrofoam is NOT recycled. In fact, there are very few cities/communities that will recycle the stuff. San Francisco does recycle it, but most major US cities do not.

If you check National Geographic's website and search it, you'll find more articles about this.

There are some great companies in Canada which do recycle styrofoam.

The recycling of styrofoam has been a big topic with the EPA - and gets lots of internet chatter as well. Some people actually boycott stores/restaurants that use styrofoam. It's a very cheap way of serving things like coffee to go.
WE recycle Styrofoam here, by law you can not put the triangle on it if it's not recycled. We have a lot of plastic plants here and I know our system has won awards for recycling (for whatever that is worth?)
I'm not saying that yes WDW does recycle it but it is possible. So what about the phosphates in the soap? Yes fertilizers are a problem but if WDW wants to decrease it in their system it's a start.
It's sort of like the people who complain about their drinking water when their beer has more carcinogens than their water... it's a matter of perspective. Washing dishes by hand is not as ecologically safe as washing w/ a dishwasher. It sounds more green but in fact it is not...

Aurora
03-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Very simple solution to the Mousekeeping issue change out the glasses and wash them at the central location after each guest checks out.
This has nothing to do with Phophates or anything else for that matter that involves the environment or our health and well being. It's a cost cutting measure. Plain and simple I don't use Disposable cups at home and DVC is suppose to offer the comforts of home at WDW.

Again, just a guess, but I bet that when they planned the DVC resorts (as opposed to the regular resorts) the central cleaning location was not built to handle cleaning of all dishes after every checkout. Of course I have no knowledge of the backstage issues, but since daily housekeeping is not built into the DVC resorts, I'm guessing this would be another cost-cutting measure, since it would be assumed that guests would be washing dishes themselves in their rooms.

Maybe someone else can offer some insight into the backstage areas of DVC resorts.

wendy*darling
03-13-2008, 01:40 PM
WE recycle Styrofoam here, by law you can not put the triangle on it if it's not recycled.
There are recycling triangles on all sorts of materials that MOST communities cannot recycle. Just because it can be recycled, doesn't mean it is.
In my area, we can only recycle plastics with a 1 or 2- all the 5, 7, etc. go in the landfills. They take aluminum cans, but no aluminum pans or foil.
My parents live only 40 miles away and their area does not take any plastics. Just cans, glass and paper.

So what about the phosphates in the soap?
I don't hear anything about them removing the dish soap from the larger villas. :secret:

I use the dish soap more than the dishwasher in the 1 & 2 bedrooms. I don't cook much, if at all, so it's usually just a dish or mug here and there. Easier and faster than running the dishwasher.
Their reason is not an environmental one- that's for sure.

MsMin
03-13-2008, 02:10 PM
It saddens me to see that ppl don't think phosphates are a SERIOUS problem... Why do you think we can't swim in the lakes anymore??? not just the motors but the algae bloom caused by the phosphates, which kills the fish and wrecks the whole ecosystem in the lake.
No I don't read National Geographic b/c it takes years to get info into magazines after the research is performed. My brother is one of the leading water quality experts (PhD from UF in Environmental Engineering) in the country and works in Central Florida on the water problems there which include the algae problems from phosphates. Lakes have died w/o ppl using fueled engines b/c of the run off in the area. (I've attended some of his lectures) Isn't it the same to say that phosphates don't matter as my cup won't hurt? They have a very serious impact on the environment and it's evident TODAY at WDW-- why do you think they removed them from other detergents? If I had a choice between a recycled paper cup and dish washing liquid I would use the cup. --phosphates don't matter??:medic:
I think the ceramic is nasty b/c you don't know how clean it is. I don't use it or care if it's there; but, respect that some of you will miss it. I personally use the refillable cup b/c at least I know who drank out of it and how clean it is (or isn't). What is the average lifespan of a cup? do you know how much energy is used to make one? If you suggest moving them to a central location to clean (which is an excellent idea) do you know for a facts that impact the environment? It's not always $$$ b/c I'm sure they spent a small fortune researching it alone, more then they would save to make the change for some time. ( I know how much my brother makes an hour ;) though he doesn't do Disney but I don't think I can say who he does work for in the state) I just trust him more than some site (even a valid one b/c I've seen research get distorted by writers who don't know what they are reading).
I just don't think (and hope)that everything is to save a dime b/c WDW is far above the rest w/ managing the environment and are watched very closely. If you want to look at waste how about all the flyer's they produce every week! They waste tons of paper just to let you know when the parade is starting or the fireworks.. What if they stopped producing bags or asked us to purchase shopping bags to carry back our own goodies? Tons of paper is wasted and hopefully recycled but you know it's only a portion.
Again, I'm sorry if you will miss the cups and understand it is frustrating to say the least but I choose to remain open minded before I start screaming that it's only for $$$$. :(
We recycle 1-7 here-- in fact I recycle more than I throw away and they are recycled. I know we have an award winning recycling program here but sometimes that's not worth the paper it's printed on.
Remember too that dishwashing detergent does not contain phosphate only the liquid variety. Maybe if they reduce it by 1/2 it would help. It doesn't make sense to remove a cup that lets face it -- hasn't been cleaned and replace it with something more costly. Their investment is already there in the cups so you are talking about an increase for them not a huge decrease. I just think their reason in more than we know.
EXCESSIVE PHOSPHATES ARE DESTROYING OUR ENVIRONMENT... PLEASE USE THEM WISELY... maybe would should pressure the dishwashing liquid ppl to stop using phosphates....

Johnno52
03-13-2008, 02:37 PM
As mentioned in my previous post we use our refillable mugs for all our drinking needs. There seems to be an overwhelming dislike for using non china or glass for drinking cups. What do you get when you want a re-fill at any BW re-fill station? Styrofoam or paper cups! They do not use our re-fill cups for hygienic reasons. So why are you not complaining about this practice being environmentally concerned? When we get any CS drinks at the parks are you concerned about the damage you are doing to the environment with all the waste products? Are we upset because we stay at "deluxe" resorts so we deserve fine china and silverware? The Stoneware mugs that they are removing don't really qualify as fine drinking vessels. They give out a horrid taste and never contain the heat long enough to drink the contents. I'm sorry to disagree on this discussion, as to me its seems a trivial complaint.

Maleficent's Dad
03-13-2008, 02:40 PM
MsMin,
I have no intention of getting into an argument with you about this subject! It's obvious that you care very much about phosphates in the water. :mickey:

If I had a choice between a recycled paper cup and dish washing liquid I would use the cup.
I would use the recycled paper cup, too, if I knew it was for environmentally friendly reasons.
However, this does not appear to be the case.
Additionally, WDW has stated that they are replacing mugs with styrofoam cups.

Styrofoam cups are harmful to the environment when the are PRODUCED and when they are shipped to a LANDFILL (which is what happens in Orlando).

There is also a significant amount of evidence that styrofoam cups do harm people that use them, especially when warm liquid is being consumed from them.

I KNOW how strongly you feel about phosphates, and maybe liquid dish soap is not the answer. But for me, personally, I am opposed to the use of styrofoam - not only in WDW, but in all other places as well. I want a good green earth for my children to grow up in; and I'm scared for their future at times... Your argument about phosphates frightens me even more.

I just don't think (and hope)that everything is to save a dime b/c WDW is far above the rest w/ managing the environment and are watched very closely. If you want to look at waste how about all the flyer's they produce every week! They waste tons of paper just to let you know when the parade is starting or the fireworks..
A few quick things:
Most things at WDW are done with $$$ in mind. Don't think for a second that WDW doesn't toot their own horn whenever one of these reports comes out stating how "green" WDW is. They advertise THAT fact heavily - hoping to attract even a wider audience.
I agree with you about the insane use of paper that is used down there weekly - they do try by using a large percentage of recycled paper, however.

I'm on your side with the environment - it's just that I'm opposed to styrofoam as much as you are to phosphates.

BluewaterBrad
03-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Unbelievable. :mickey:

Goes4FastPass
03-13-2008, 05:13 PM
Good grief! Disney doesn't care about phosphates.

Disney wants to slap Mickey's smiling face on "Environmetality" cards reminding you the help by using the same towel over and over.

The next time you see one of these cards I challenge you to walk around the room you're staying in and count the incandescent bulbs. Then take that number and multiply it by the number of rooms at WDW.

Hey Mickey! How about I agree to use the same towels for a week and you take 50 cents off my bill. Wow, that way Disney uses less phosphates and water and I save 50 whole cents. That's swell! No? Scrooge McDuck says you can't make that deal?

I swear, people who believe every change WDW makes is for the good of the guests or the environment or some other noble reason must be putting pixie dust in their coffee... in their styrofoam cups.

JPL
03-13-2008, 05:57 PM
I swear, people who believe every change WDW makes is for the good of the guests or the environment or some other noble reason must be putting pixie dust in their coffee... in their styrofoam cups.

I agree 100%

99.9% of the changes Disney makes are to increase their profit margin. No if's, and's. or but's about it. The 0.1% that deal with environmental issue or guest satisfaction seem to come from bad press that they are afraid will hurt their profit margin. Do you really think Disney cared about what Trans Fats were doing to their guests before it became a hot topic on the news? Disney use to poison birds to keep the population down until the story leaked out and they changed their practices to appease the Animal Rights groups. We all must remember Disney is a profit driven company with shareholders to answer to. I know since we all love Disney this reality is difficult to face but it's true. So if you want to believe this change has to do with cutting phosphates in the water realize it's just a spin Disney will put on it after the fact. It's nothing more than a way to save them a few bucks.

dlpmikki
03-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Guys and gals we are slipping a little off topic here - this is not a general environmental discussion or on Disney profit making but simply about what it means to us to have the mugs/glasses removed. Most of the views about why they may have done this (cost cutting / bad publicity) have already been aired and the pros and cons on the environmental front of styrofoam and phosphate issues are getting a bit deep.

Please try not to get over excited but please do report back any new responses from Disney that you may get about this.

Thank you :)

ElenitaB
03-14-2008, 12:42 AM
Thanks, Mikki, for keeping us on the straight and narrow...

I'm not at all happy with this decision. I avoid styrofoam like the plague. I won't buy coffee served in it and we're even campaigning at work (a company with over 40,000 people in the Americas) to stop buying styrofoam cups altogether and to use mugs or recycled paper cups; this should be achieved by the end of the calendar year. As for the phospates contained in dishwashing liquid, there are many suppliers for non-phosphate containing brands: Method, Seventh Generation, Melalueca, etc. If they can get fancy toiletries from H20, they can also get a complete line of eco-friendly cleaning solutions, many of which are far more cost effective than the brands many of us use on a regular basis.

Like Mikki, I won't be bringing mugs from home but I always buy some while I'm there anyway. And just like when I used to stay at moderate hotels, I guess I'll have to start bringing a small bottle of dishwashing liquid as well. Gee, I thought I bought into DVC so I DIDN'T have to do that anymore!

btuskan
03-14-2008, 06:46 AM
I've read through all of the posts and don't think anyone has mentioned...how does one wash the carafe for the coffee maker if there is no dishwashing liquid???? Are they removing the coffee makers as well? I guess my bottom line is that when we purchased DVC we purchased a certain level of accomodations and the niceties that go with it. If they want to remove the mugs and glasses and dishwasing soap, then they should reduce the number of points it takes to stay in a studio...or drop our anuual dues. Remember we pay for housekeeping and bussing and maintenance, etc with our dues.

Ed
03-14-2008, 08:03 AM
I've read through all of the posts and don't think anyone has mentioned...how does one wash the carafe for the coffee maker if there is no dishwashing liquid???? Are they removing the coffee makers as well?

I touched on it back on page one.

As for myself, I fully intend to trash every disposable cup in my future stays after exactly one use, even if it's a little sip of water, and drive the front desk and housekeeping folks nuts (even though this certainly is not their fault) demanding immediate replenishment of our supply. And demanding a fresh coffee carafe between every pot we brew (we drink a LOT of coffee, and bring our own grounds) because they no longer supply dishwashing lotion.

I have no idea how they're going to clean the carafes; I suppose Mousekeeping will bring dish liquid with them, or else the carafe will just get swished out with plain water. :sick:

JPL
03-14-2008, 08:44 AM
Maybe we can all go to the gift shop and buy some nice glasses and mugs and return them at the end of our stay ;)

As for the coffee Carafe I have no idea how I will clean it. I really don't want carry anything more than I have to WDW and if I bring dish liquid with me it will just be a waste since I will throw it out at the end of my stay I am certainly not going to carry it home. Not exactly promoting "Green" and Environmentallity is it.

I also mentioned the changed to my brother who is not happy either.

Still waiting for responses from DVC :mad:

Maleficent's Dad
03-14-2008, 11:13 AM
Here's the "form letter" response via email that I just received this morning:

Dear Frank,

Thank you for contacting Disney Vacation Club Member Services.

We appreciate your message. Based on the nature of your comments, I
have forwarded your message to our Member Satisfaction team for further

review. You may expect to be contacted again with regard to your
message within 5 business days.

Thank you again for writing.

Sincerely,

Todd

Member Services | Online Communications
Disney Vacation Club

Interested to see what they say "within 5 business days."
No responses yet from Jim Lewis or Iger... :unsure:

JPL
03-14-2008, 11:15 AM
They send everything to Member Satisfaction they figure it's pass the buck time :mad:

Ian
03-14-2008, 12:01 PM
I'm joining late, so forgive me for playing catch-up with some of my comments here ...

I'd say the reason they're making this change is obvious. They're trying to push people to book 1BR's and up so their points don't go as far. They're locked into the points they're charging, so they only way to reduce the number of stays people get for their points is to try and drive them to the higher end rooms.

My issue with this is simple (and I'm kinda surprised no one else has mentioned it ... or if they did I missed it) ... as DVC "owners" shouldn't WE get to decide whether or not this change takes place?? Did we vote on this and I missed it??

That's why I think it must be something other than a cost savings issue. If it was that, wouldn't the choice really have been, "Hey, you we can remove glasses from the studios or we can raise your dues. Which do you want?"

There's no way it's being done out of any kind of health concern ... that's absurd. If that was the case, don't you think they'd remove them from ALL the properties and not, coincidentally enough, just the lower-points ones?

See, this is the stuff I worried about before I joined. That Disney would find creative ways to nickel and dime us.

Although, to be fair and honest about it, it's not much of an issue for us right now. With a family of 4, we always opt for a 1BR or better. But then again, who knows if the 1BR's are next?? :mad:

JPL
03-14-2008, 01:05 PM
Actually I thought about how convinient it was to annouce this after the Member Meeting as well. That's why I took it as a cost cutting measure. I guess I got too caught up in the cost cutting vs environmental reasons to post it :blush:

Tinkermom
03-14-2008, 05:16 PM
I'm joining late, so forgive me for playing catch-up with some of my comments here ...

I'd say the reason they're making this change is obvious. They're trying to push people to book 1BR's and up so their points don't go as far. They're locked into the points they're charging, so they only way to reduce the number of stays people get for their points is to try and drive them to the higher end rooms.

My issue with this is simple (and I'm kinda surprised no one else has mentioned it ... or if they did I missed it) ... as DVC "owners" shouldn't WE get to decide whether or not this change takes place?? Did we vote on this and I missed it??

That's why I think it must be something other than a cost savings issue. If it was that, wouldn't the choice really have been, "Hey, you we can remove glasses from the studios or we can raise your dues. Which do you want?"

There's no way it's being done out of any kind of health concern ... that's absurd. If that was the case, don't you think they'd remove them from ALL the properties and not, coincidentally enough, just the lower-points ones?

See, this is the stuff I worried about before I joined. That Disney would find creative ways to nickel and dime us.

Although, to be fair and honest about it, it's not much of an issue for us right now. With a family of 4, we always opt for a 1BR or better. But then again, who knows if the 1BR's are next?? :mad:

Ok, I would really wonder about folks spending more points just to get a mug and a glass. :rolleyes: I really do not see how taking mugs/glasses away is going to make people want to spend the points for a one bdrm. We are always looking for ways to get the most out of our points as I would assume most members are.

I also really doubt that DVC will take away mugs/glasses, etc from the units with full kitchens. That would make NO sense at all.

JPL
03-14-2008, 06:12 PM
That would make NO sense at all.

Please remember we are talking about Disney ;)

Pass the buck is in full swing I got my response from Member Services can't believe it took this long to say sorry we can't help so moving it along to someone else who can't

Dear Jeffrey,
Thank you for contacting Disney Vacation Club Member Services. We appreciate your message. Based on the nature of your comments, I have forwarded your message to our Member Satisfaction team for further review. You may expect to be contacted again with regard to your message within 5 business days. Thank you again for writing.
Sincerely,
Todd Member Services
Online CommunicationsDisney Vacation Club

Atleast now we know someone besides Larry works there.

Aurora
03-14-2008, 06:26 PM

That's what I thought too, except then I realized that they don't necessarily wash the glasses in the regular rooms -- they replace them with "clean" ones. And in the 1- and 2-bedrooms with dishwashers, the housekeepers can just throw in the dishes, but they can't do that in the studios (and apparently they don't). So this might just be some sort of stop-gap.

thumperbug
03-14-2008, 08:40 PM
During our Dec 07 stay in a 1 br at the Boardwalk we noticed that on the trash and towel service day, housekeeping took whatever dishes were in the sink as well as the ones we washed that were drying on the counter, put them in the DW and ran it. We were kind of confused by it but I guess thats what they do with the Villas. As a side note, we just got back from CBR and there were styrofoam cups next to the coffee maker along with 4 regular drinking glasses. Figure that one out. I do agree that DVC studios, 1 br etc should have a higher level of offerings then a regular room and have to agree that as owners, we should get a vote on changes. I didn't get a proxy to vote....did anyone else??

Hammer
03-14-2008, 09:06 PM
I'm also joining this pretty late, but this bothers me to no end! So because I don't need all of the extras (and the extra point price), I deserve to be treated like I'm staying at a moderate or value (I believe Coronado Springs is the only moderate that uses ceramic mugs)? I'm starting to regret buying my DVC resale...

JPL
03-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Christine

I know how you feel about regretting your purchase after the first experience I had booking with them, the website mess, and now little things like this it is to see why the resale market is booming.

Maleficent's Dad
03-15-2008, 09:42 AM
Don't forget to email Disney Files Magazine. I just did and pointed out the inconsistencies within the company. Their publication claims to be GREEN, and a few days later, DVC announces styrofoam and the removal of liquid soap (making it harder to REUSE).

[email protected]

If anyone can come up with Ryan March's email address, I'd be happy to contact him - he's the editor of Disney Files.

ytzking
03-15-2008, 11:01 AM
I sent the following e-mails to Jim Lewis and Robert Iger.

Mr. Iger,
Below is the text of an e-mail I sent to Jim Lewis. I would appreciate your feedback as well.
Respectfully,
John XXXXXXX

Dear Mr. Lewis,
I am truly distressed to read that DVC is once again cutting amenities, ( dishwashing detergent, drinking glasses and coffee mugs in the studio units ), without consulting the membership. This is another example of DVC being penny wise.... I joined DVC in 1999 with an understanding that DVC accommodations would ALWAYS be deluxe. I was also sold on the fact that even the studios would have the feel of home. If this seemingly small cut back is the direct result of any one incident I would certainly like to know about it. If it is indicative of a trend by DVC to slowly remove amenities in order to generate profits; I would likewise like to know. Otherwise I consider it to be an indication of DVC's intent to slowly cut back on all amenities associated with membershp.
Respectfully,
John xxxxxxx
DVC Member
Boardwalk Villas 09/99

On Friday, I received a phone call, ( I was at work, a message was left) directly from Jim Lewis' office. The representative stated that they had received my e-mail and that they wanted to speak to me. I was left a direct # for the representative. I'm going to try and call today but I'm assuming that I probably won't get anybody until Monday. Obviously, the E-Mails are at the very least, getting their attention. I'll keep everyone posted.

JPL
03-15-2008, 10:11 PM
Ok this one really annoys me this is the response from my e-mail to Jim Lewis

Good Morning,

Thank you for contacting Disney Vacation Club Member Services.

We appreciate your message. Based on the nature of your comments, I have forwarded your message to our Member Satisfaction team for further review. You may expect to be contacted again with regard to your message within 5 business days.

Thank you again for writing.

Have a nice day,

Joe

wendy*darling
03-15-2008, 10:52 PM
Jeff- that's the same email we are all getting. Forward to Member Satisfaction. Mine was from Melissa, but it was the exact same wording.
We shall see what happens in 5 business days...

JPL
03-15-2008, 10:55 PM
This was sent directly to Jim Lewis. It doesn't even show the respones is from his office. Guess I should have copied Iger to get a direct response ;)

Ed
03-18-2008, 10:53 AM
Anybody get any REAL responses yet from Iger/Lewis/DVC/whoever other than automated replies?

ytzking
03-18-2008, 10:58 AM
It turns out that the phone call I got was from John Garcia at the Member Satisfaction Team. He's a Member Services Manager and was aware of my e-mails and my concerns. I explained to Mr. Garcia my disappointment with DVC in this situation and my other concerns about basic services in general and upkeep of my home resort ( BWV ) in particular. He responded that he did not have an answer for me in regards to the cutbacks in the studios but that they had received many e-mails. He went on to assure me that I would be hearing from the Member Satisfaction Team with a direct response to my question.
As far as upkeep and renovations at the BWV, he gave me the standard response. Dues go toward "preventive maintenance" and improvements were made when necessary. ( No answer on the ancient TVs).
He also provided me with the following E-Mail address for future inquiries.
[email protected]

Not much "meat and potatoes" but I hope this helps a bit!

JPL
03-18-2008, 11:10 AM
No response here other than it's being sent to Member Satisfaction :mad:

wendy*darling
03-18-2008, 10:36 PM
Tomorrow is the 5th business day since I received my automated response telling me I would hear from them within 5 business days.
We shall see. I'll let you know if I do hear anything. If I don't, I will be writing/calling again on Thursday.

JPL
03-19-2008, 10:11 AM
At the 5 Business Day mark as well :wait:

Horizon93
03-19-2008, 04:37 PM
I have heard nothing as well. But i read on another board that mousekeeping has returned ceramic mugs and glasses to studios today. It would be great if someone who is in a studio now could let us know if that is true or not.

Ian
03-19-2008, 05:23 PM
Here's the response I got from our guide:

Ian Hello ! I'm sorry I took 3 days off. Yes we had to comply with a rule about if you don't provide a dishwasher , for health reason the cups and glasses NEED to be disposable. I know, more rules but I guess the Health department or who ever has strict rules.

JPL
03-19-2008, 05:41 PM
Huh? :confused:

That makes zero sense so they are saying they were violating health codes all this time

Ian
03-19-2008, 05:46 PM
Unless it's a new law.

ytzking
03-19-2008, 06:21 PM
"I know, more rules but I guess the Health Department or who ever has strict rules."

This response is extremely vague. " Health Department or whoever"???? If I receive this response when I eventually hear back from Member Satisfaction, I will definitely ask for specifics. I doubt that glassware will be removed from rooms in the Grand Floridian. ( unless I'm mistaken and they already have been) Guess we'll have to wait and see

Maleficent's Dad
03-19-2008, 10:09 PM
My rep gave a different email response than Ian's:

Frank:

As a member myself, I can relate to what your expressing.

You have done the right thing in communicating to Member Satisfaction. Initially
you get an automated response. But, they will follow up with you.

I have made our management aware of your discontent.

We have designated [email protected] to
handle these types of messages and they will be in touch with you.

Thank You for manifesting your concern.

Best Regards,
I was actually happy with his response to me; seemed like he was genuinely on my side with this one.
I'm now *officially* past the 5 business day mark, and still NO RESPONSE from Iger, Lewis, or DVC... :(

But it seems, according to the post from Horizon93 (Ed) that someone is getting the message...

Ed
03-20-2008, 07:35 AM
Don't try using the link in Frank's post above - it has a typo in it:

DISNEYVAACTIONCLUB.COM

I believe that should be [email protected]

I've heard absolutely nothing back from anybody. :mad:

JPL
03-20-2008, 09:29 AM
The more I think about the response Ian received it sounds like speculation on the guides part. I mean if there is a law DVC would have sent everyone a response stating the Health Code.

Past 5 days here and nothing :mad: Maybe tomorrow they will receive another call from me.

Ian
03-20-2008, 10:10 AM
I agree that my guide was either just guessing or just giving me a made-up answer to get me to go away ...

I will say, though, that I'm finding it increasingly disturbing that people are not getting responses from the Executive Offices and from Member Satisfaction.

Although I guess it shouldn't surprise me, really. My one and only interaction with the "Member (Dis)Satisfaction" team resulted in my being anything but satisfied. :mad:

Question for more experience DVC owners ... what, if any, recourse do owners have in a dispute like this with DVC? Is there some kind of appeal process or regulatory agency you can complain to?

I'm not talking about the glasses issues so much as I am the complete and total silence people are getting in response to their complaints.

ytzking
03-20-2008, 10:18 AM
John Garcia, the Member Satisfaction supervisor who called me in response to my e-mail gave me a direct phone # to contact him. I would post it here but I don't know if I would be violating any rules. If one of you senior members can advise, I'd be happy to post it. Maybe hearing from a group of people live instead of on e-mail would prompt a response.

JPL
03-20-2008, 10:28 AM
I can tell you one thing it did for me was put the purchasing of more points on the far back burner you know the one that doesn't light without the help of a match.

Cookie123
03-20-2008, 01:20 PM
This past December I had a two night stay at The Dolphin - also considered a deluxe.
( Although not Disney, nor DVC )

Their coffee mugs were paper, printed with the Starbucks brand. I find that to be totally unacceptable.

Ian
03-20-2008, 01:43 PM
I can tell you one thing it did for me was put the purchasing of more points on the far back burner you know the one that doesn't light without the help of a match.Yeah, well the second half of that email (the part I didn't post) was my guide asking me when I'm going to be buying the additional points we talked about earlier in the year.

I told him that was on hold, because of some concerns I've developed lately about DVC.

John Garcia, the Member Satisfaction supervisor who called me in response to my e-mail gave me a direct phone # to contact him. I would post it here but I don't know if I would be violating any rules. If one of you senior members can advise, I'd be happy to post it. Maybe hearing from a group of people live instead of on e-mail would prompt a response.That would be fine to post.

wendy*darling
03-20-2008, 01:56 PM
Well, it's Day 6, and I have already sent off a long email to Lewis, Iger and the Member Satisfaction (?) Team...
but I received this 10 minutes ago...

Hello Linda,

Thank you for contacting Disney Vacation Club.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us
regarding the glassware changes in our studios. We continually review
the cleaning practices in our resorts. Upon reviewing the dishware and
glassware washing process for the studio units, we realized that hand
washing wasn't sufficient to meet our cleanliness standards.

Glassware and ceramic mugs in the studios were replaced with disposables
because dishwashing machines are not available in those units. We
wanted to take action quickly and using disposables was the most
expedient solution.

We have since determined that we will be able to provide glassware and
ceramic mugs at resorts where glass washing equipment is available.
This includes Disney's Beach Club Villas, Disney's BoardWalk Villas, The
Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge, Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas and
the Inn rooms at Disney's Vero Beach Resort.

For all DVC stand-alone campus properties (Disney's Saratoga Springs
Resort & Spa, Disney's Old Key West Resort, Disney's Hilton Head Island
Resort and the villas at Disney's Vero Beach Resort) that do not have
glass washers available, we will continue to utilize the disposable cups
until we can source a more environmentally friendly product. We are
investigating the possibility of installing glass washers at specified
locations throughout the stand-alone campus properties.

The disposable cups are replenished upon request. If a Guest/Member
calls to request glassware, we will provide it and remove it upon
checkout.

Your comments are important to us. Please be assured that we have
shared your concerns with the appropriate individuals.

Thank you again for your message.

Sincerely,
Magdalene
Disney Vacation Club

I have to say- it actually addressed all of the concerns and comments I had expressed with a reasonable explanation and action plan. My anger and frustration has been abated... at least for this issue.
I will respond with a "thanks for answering" and a request that they keep the members updated as to when they find a solution for SSR, OKW, etc.

Perhaps.... the Members have been heard! :mickey:

Mrs Bus Driver
03-20-2008, 02:42 PM
:mickey: Just read on another site that the glasses and mugs are back:D

Johnno52
03-20-2008, 03:00 PM
Gee this is great, now I'm back doing dishes again!:(

Aurora
03-20-2008, 03:19 PM
Thank you Linda!

Well this answered my questions and was in fact what I suspected, but I'm confused about the Vero Beach villas. Why can't they use the glass-washing facilities that they're using for the Inn rooms?

Since they touched on every concern (cleanliness, environmental issues, washing facilities), I'm sure the response was based on the large number of complaints of the members. Hope they continue to "investigate" a solution for the stand-alone DVCs.

Let me also say that I'm 100% sure that if these boards did not exist (and you can bet they knew the letter would be posted) this issue would not have been addressed nearly as quickly.

c&d
03-20-2008, 03:36 PM
I just received the same answer as Linda. I'm requesting glassware when we check in next month to our studio at VWL.

wendy*darling
03-20-2008, 03:49 PM
I just received the same answer as Linda. I'm requesting glassware when we check in next month to our studio at VWL.
I believe their answer stated that you will automatically get glassware at VWL. You will not have to ask.

wendy*darling
03-20-2008, 04:15 PM
Well- more news!

Since I hadn't heard anything back as of this morning- I sent my email off to Mr. Lewis and Mr. Iger.

Then at 1:00 this afternoon, I got the response from the DVC Member Satisfaction Team (posted above).

And just this moment- I hung up with a member of the Member Satisfaction Team who called in response to my email to Mr. Lewis!!

I let her start the conversation, and then explained I had finally received the email response from her team.
I told her I was pleased with the response.

I clarified that glassware is already bring brought back into the resorts with a kitchen available onsite to wash and replenish clean glassware- VWL, BCV, BWV, AKV.
If you are staying at OKW or SSR- you can ask for glassware and Mousekeeping will bring it.

I also told her that Members really appreciate being heard. :)
She admitted that they had received "many" emails and letters about this issue. I told her I participated in a very active online discussion board and I knew how dissatisfied and angry people were about this issue. And that a prompt response (let's face it- it has only been a week since the change happened!) and explanation was what we expected as Members.
I told her the answer I received was already posted online :thumbsup: and I think she was pleased to hear that!

DVC Mike
03-20-2008, 05:41 PM
DVC has also posted a news item on the member web site.

Resorts adjust studio glassware practices

As part of a continuous review of cleaning practices in Disney Resort hotels, leaders determined that hand washing dishware and glassware in Disney Vacation Club studio units wasn't sufficient to meet the company's cleanliness standards.

For studio accommodations at Disney Vacation Club Resorts in which glass-washing equipment is available (Disney's Beach Club Villas, Disney's BoardWalk Villas, The Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge, Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas and the Inn rooms at Disney's Vero Beach Resort), glassware and ceramic mugs now are cleaned in the glass washers, rather than by hand.

Studio accommodations at stand-alone Disney Vacation Club Resorts (Disney's Old Key West Resort, Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, the villas at Disney's Vero Beach Resort and Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa) now utilize disposable cups, since glass washers aren't available at those resorts. The company wanted to take action quickly, and using disposables was the most expedient solution. Housekeepers replenish the disposable cups upon request.

Disney Vacation Club leaders are investigating more environmentally friendly disposable products, as well as the possibility of installing glass washers at specified locations within the stand-alone properties.

dlpmikki
03-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Mike, that is particularly interesting as it doesn't say that folks can request mugs and glasses. Also interesting that it took so long to put on the members website and why they they wanted to take action quickly after 15 years of providing the mugs/glasses!

JPL
03-20-2008, 06:22 PM
I received the same response.

Mikki
I agree that the word quickly doesn't quite fit. I know from what I have heard is that WDW also has central facilities that can wash the glassware much like the central laundry facility.

I say for those who want glassware request away and if enough people request it and it becomes troublesome for them they will further address the issue further.

wendy*darling
03-20-2008, 06:34 PM
The need to request glassware ONLY applies at SSR and OKW (in Orlando).
I confirmed in my phone conversation that glassware will be provided to guests at SSR and OKW upon request.

I think the "quickly" applies to their response to the recent discovery/expose' about housekeeping's lack of proper cleaning.
I do not think it was meant to be "quickly" over the last 15 years.

Ed
03-20-2008, 08:17 PM
Anybody say what they're going to do about cleaning the coffee carafes?

Simba's Mom
03-20-2008, 09:15 PM
That's a good question! Although my guess is that they might figure that since the coffee carafe doesn't have the same level of human contact as glasses/mugs (assuming you don't drink out of the carafe), that it' "meets DVC's cleanliness standards" to (gasp!) handwash it. I'm sorry to be sarcastic, but that kind of irks me to hear handwashing as being not meeting cleanliness standards. Worked at home for years!

wendy*darling
03-20-2008, 10:14 PM
Darn it. I forgot to ask that on the phone. It was in my letter though.
Hopefully more of you will get phone calls and can ask. I also didn't ask about the dish soap...

JPL
03-20-2008, 10:16 PM
As for the Coffee carafes

Ok just a guess as to what DVC would do since this is what I would do but I think I have more common sense than DVC. Have the Mousekeeping that apparently can't wash or change out glasses run a pot of water throught the machine after each guest departure.

Maleficent's Dad
03-21-2008, 09:13 AM
Don't try using the link in Frank's post above - it has a typo in it:

DISNEYVAACTIONCLUB.COM

I believe that should be [email protected]

I've heard absolutely nothing back from anybody. :mad:
Oops!!! Sorry for the typo! :blush: (I had actually just cut and pasted that one...)

Well, it's Day 6, and I have already sent off a long email to Lewis, Iger and the Member Satisfaction (?) Team...
but I received this 10 minutes ago...
I too received the exact same response from the exact same person...

At least - which has been stated here - the membership is being heard!!! :thumbsup:

MinnieMommie
03-23-2008, 07:15 PM
I called member services yesterday to ask if I could request glassware (and I specified bowls, mugs and glasses) for my upcoming trip for which I have 2 studios. They said yes and placed my request on my reservation. It is helpful to know that we can actually continue to have the glassware upon request. :mickey:

JPL
03-23-2008, 08:05 PM
My SIL called about her upcoming trip and member services said they are not removing the Dish detergent even in the studios with no glassware so I guess they are thinking about the Coffee Carafe but we shall see :thumbsup:

dolphinmickey9170
03-24-2008, 10:13 AM
Hi, I got the exact same (word for word) response from the same person. I did not, however, receive a phone number or personal call from anyone.

I called today to make such a request for glassware and coffee mugs in our studio and the CM had no clue what I was talking about. She had to put me on eternal hold and go talk to someone else. After sitting on hold, she comes back to tell me that once they are removed, they WILL NOT return them, even upon my request. Now she also stated that I could ask again upon check in. That might get me a different result. She did state, however, that the dish soap will remain for cleaning the coffee carafe.

Ed
03-24-2008, 10:23 AM
Sounds like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

:down:

:bang:

Horizon93
03-24-2008, 10:25 AM
I received the same email from the same person. You would think that everyone at MS would be aware of the contents of the email sent to members who complained. The email does say that in the stand alone resorts such as OKW and SSR, that the mugs and glasses would be provided upon request. Maybe that does mean at check in.

JPL
03-24-2008, 02:52 PM
The E-mail states that but the news on the website left that part out. You would think every member would be entitled to the same information :shake:

MaizeNBrew
03-26-2008, 12:59 AM
This is a perfect example of how everything is seen as "sinister" until proving otherwise. Disney, being an extraordinarly large company tried to respond quickly to a situation that they recent realized they were liable for.

If there is any true cost savings in have styrofoam cups instead of ceramics, that savings would, by law, have to be reflected in the Maintanence Fees.

And since now, after every checkout from studios, glasses need to be replaced and sent down to a common washing area, that is more expensive and (marginally) reflected in our Maintance Fees.

We don't have a vote, we are "Members" not "Owners" and that is clearly outlined in what we signed. At worst, Disney appear to miscalculate what the member wanted and rectified it. I happen to give them the benefit of the doubt, and believe they immediately solved a problem temporarily (triage) until they could work out logistically what made the most sense long term.

Ed
04-05-2008, 01:58 PM
The need to request glassware ONLY applies at SSR and OKW (in Orlando).
I confirmed in my phone conversation that glassware will be provided to guests at SSR and OKW upon request.
I think the "quickly" applies to their response to the recent discovery/expose' about housekeeping's lack of proper cleaning.
I do not think it was meant to be "quickly" over the last 15 years.

They lied. I checked in to a studio at SSR on Wednesday and requested ceramic mugs and glass drinking cups. The CM at the front desk advised me that was not possible. I objected, citing the e-mails received by other members. He checked with his manager, and then told me that "policy" prohibited them from providing the requested items. :mad:

At least, our studio did not have styrofoam coffee cups; we had a stack of paper-based cups that can be used for either hot or cold drinks. We ended up using our own mugs that we brought with us as insurance.

There was a small bottle of dishwashing liquid, a sponge, and a dish towel.

I was also informed that free internet is not yet available @ SSR. I asked. And was told I'd have to pay the regular fee. :mad:

wendy*darling
04-05-2008, 03:10 PM
They lied.

Ed, I am sorry to hear that. :(

So, I just sent another email to DVC's Member Satisfaction Team asking for an explanation- and also asking for a reason for the delay in providing free Internet.

I think another round of emails might be in order concerning both issues....how about it gang? :geek:

Maleficent's Dad
04-05-2008, 06:16 PM
Ed & Linda,
Emails are NOW on the way re both issues.

Ed, I'm sorry they LIED to you - this really stinks. I'm very UNHAPPY about the whole situation and can't believe they didn't give you "real" glassware. :(

Ed
04-06-2008, 06:53 AM
I fired the following off to the Member Satisfaction Team and to both Mr. Iger and Mr. Lewis this morning:

I know that you have received a lot of communications from members expressing their dissatisfaction with the decision to remove true glassware (coffee cups, drinking glasses) from DVC studio accommodations. I am a member of a very active online Disney-related discussion website, and several members have reported back on the communications they have received in response to their complaints. Two examples:
~~~~~~~~~~
Dear {name},
Thank you for contacting Member Services. The Coffee Cups in the Studios have always been Styrofoam Cups. The Drinking Glasses were made of glass and are being replaced with disposable drinking glasses.
Sincerely,
Larry
Member Services
Online Communications
Disney Vacation Club

Balderdash! I have never had anything but ceramic coffee cups in the studios in which I have stayed. That statement is outright false.
~~~~~~~~~
Hello {name},

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us
regarding the glassware changes in our studios. We continually review
the cleaning practices in our resorts. Upon reviewing the dishware and
glassware washing process for the studio units, we realized that hand
washing wasn't sufficient to meet our cleanliness standards.

Glassware and ceramic mugs in the studios were replaced with disposables
because dishwashing machines are not available in those units. We
wanted to take action quickly and using disposables was the most
expedient solution.

We have since determined that we will be able to provide glassware and
ceramic mugs at resorts where glass washing equipment is available.
This includes Disney's Beach Club Villas, Disney's BoardWalk Villas, The
Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge, Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas and
the Inn rooms at Disney's Vero Beach Resort.

For all DVC stand-alone campus properties (Disney's Saratoga Springs
Resort & Spa, Disney's Old Key West Resort, Disney's Hilton Head Island
Resort and the villas at Disney's Vero Beach Resort) that do not have
glass washers available, we will continue to utilize the disposable cups
until we can source a more environmentally friendly product. We are
investigating the possibility of installing glass washers at specified
locations throughout the stand-alone campus properties.

The disposable cups are replenished upon request. If a Guest/Member
calls to request glassware, we will provide it and remove it upon
checkout.

Your comments are important to us. Please be assured that we have
shared your concerns with the appropriate individuals.

Sincerely,
Magdalene
Disney Vacation Club

Oh, really? I checked in to a studio at Saratoga Springs on Wednesday, April 2nd. During the check-in process I advised the Cast Member (Steve) that I wished to have true glassware in my unit. He told me that was not possible. I mentioned the above e-mail response, and he said he'd check with his manager. He left the desk, conferred with his manager, then came back and advised me that they could not honor my request due to "policy".
~~~~~~~~~~~~

I also inquired whether the free Internet access policy was applicable yet (it IS "Spring 2008" now), and was told no, that I'd have to pay the regular fees. Yet several members of our discussion group have reported that they have gotten free Internet access for quite a while when staying on DVC points, as I was doing for this stay.

When we purchased our total of 400 points (through four separate transactions, no less), we did so truly believing that DVC accommodations and perks would be a cut above the standard facilities. We expected that having expended many dollars in purchase costs and annual dues, we would be entitled to something better than what you would find at the local Motel 6 - - which still uses true glassware AND has offered free internet access for years.

But much more importantly, the very last thing we expected was to be outright lied to.

There seems to be a major communications disconnect within DVC. Our discussion group has reported numerous cases of diametrically conflicting information being received when posing the same questions to Member Services. It almost seems like some of the Cast Members are just making up the answers as they go along. This I find totally unacceptable. All of Disney's guests are entitled to factual and forthright answers to their questions and concerns. And that should probably apply doubly so to the DVC members who have invested their dollars and proven their brand loyalty by choosing DVC.

May I request some honest and factual answers as to exactly what the company's policies are concerning the glassware issue and the Internet access issue? And may I also receive some assurance that members are entitled to and will receive factual responses to their future inquiries?

To say that I'm disappointed in the way these issues have been handled is putting it very mildly.

That's my :twocents:.

Now I'll get down off my :soapbox:. But probably not for long........

ADDED:
Got the following response within about two minutes of sending the e-mail:

Your comments are important to us and we appreciate your taking the time
to write. We will review the feedback you have provided and will
respond within 5 business days. Please note: Based on the nature of
your comments or questions, we may need to forward your message to other
Walt Disney Company affiliates or nonaffiliated third party service
providers.

Sincerely,

Member Satisfaction Team
Disney Vacation Club

5 days, huh? The clock is running.....tick.....tock....tick....tock

Ian
04-06-2008, 09:19 AM
Sigh ............ I'm seriously considering selling our points already ... this is just so discouraging ...

And before all the Disney apologists jump in and defend them because it's "only glasses" or whatever, I'm not upset about the removal of the glassware itself ... I'm upset at the handling of the (non)communication. I'm upset about the lies. And the conflicting information. And the general complete and total lack of interest in the wishes of the membership.

It's just very disappointing.

JPL
04-06-2008, 09:34 AM
It really is frustrating to say the least :mad: I am so glad I jumped in resale with a smaller investment and a smaller number of points to give it a try. So far except for the stay at OKW it has been nothing but a headache. And even that first stay wasn't perfect since I had to move to CSR because the CM at Member Service didn't understand what 3 nights meant :shake: Then the website issues on top of that. For now I am keeping points but if I ever need cash they are the first thing to go.

Ed
04-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Interesting... DW just called me to tell me that I got a phone call at home from Nicole @ DVC wanting to discuss my e-mail (which DW didn't even know that I had sent). Obviously, it shook them up a little, because I hadn't included any phone numbers in my e-mail, so they had to look up my membership info. I'm going to call her when I get home; you can bet I'll post whatever info I get from her.

Stay tuned......

DVC Mike
04-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Sigh ............ I'm seriously considering selling our points already ... this is just so discouraging ...

It's just very disappointing.

I understand how this may be disappointing to some. To me, I think DVC had an issue and tried to quickly address it, but they completely screwed up by taking action without advance communication, then having a lot of mis-communication, then finally partially reversing their decision.

Yes, DVC screwed up. However, I am still a very happy DVC member who enjoys using his membership. I have no plans to downsize my investment in DVC; in fact, I plan to increase it with more add-ons at GCV and KTR.

Tink&Goofy
04-06-2008, 01:58 PM
I understand how this may be disappointing to some. To me, I think DVC had an issue and tried to quickly address it, but they completely screwed up by taking action without advance communication, then having a lot of mis-communication, then finally partially reversing their decision.

Yes, DVC screwed up. However, I am still a very happy DVC member who enjoys using his membership. I have no plans to downsize my investment in DVC; in fact, I plan to increase it with more add-ons at GCV and KTR.
:ditto:

I know to some, glassware may be a big issue, but in the overall scheme of things, does it really detract from your overall enjoyment? I think this will be something that they will iron out sooner than later, and all will be forgotten.

Any organization the size of DVC is bound to make mistakes. What separates the good from the bad is the willing to admit it, and correct it asap.

Ed
04-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Called Nicole, who's a manager in the Member Satisfaction Team @ DVC... reviewed my e-mail... She says that DVC's official policy IS that glassware WILL be provided for studios at SSR on request, but will not be stored in the unit - Housekeeping is supposed to deliver it on request, then remove it when the guest checks out. Says she has already spoken with Housekeeping manager at SSR to make sure that policy is followed. She also communicated with SSR management with same message. As for free internet, she says that's still not in effect, and she can't explain why some DVC members have gotten it without charge while others have to pay for it. (Not much satisfaction there...)

She agrees that uniformity is a must; either everybody gets it or no one gets it. And she agreed with me that there are definitely communications problems. She says she has re-issued a memo about the glassware issue to all Member Services CMs in hopes to get everyone on the same page. She agreed that the entire situation was very "un-Disneylike", and apologized repeatedly.

All in all, it was about the response that I expected. But it was obvious from the conversation that DVC has taken a lot of heat about the glassware issue and is trying to make sure the policy is adequately and clearly communicated to all Member Services and Front Desk managers and CMs. I guess only time will tell.....

Maleficent's Dad
04-06-2008, 06:43 PM
First off, Ed, THANK YOU for communicating everything with us - and for sharing the MS feedback (Satisfaction Team). You cleared up a LOT for me.

I fully believe that there were communication breakdowns (think Led Zep!) in the huge company known as DVC... I'm hoping that this "situation" has taught them a very good lesson...

And before all the Disney apologists jump in and defend them because it's "only glasses" or whatever, I'm not upset about the removal of the glassware itself ... I'm upset at the handling of the (non)communication. I'm upset about the lies. And the conflicting information. And the general complete and total lack of interest in the wishes of the membership.
Ian,
I'd never defend a company as large and powerful as Disney. They have more than enough attorneys to do that themselves... ;)

However, I'd say that this TOTAL FIASCO which has been labled the "removing of mugs and glasses" here on the internet, has been one of the major SNAFU's with DVC. It's probably been the worst I've ever seen/experienced in over ten years of membership.

I know DVC screwed up.
I know that they regret their decisions.
I know they wish they could turn back the clock.
I do NOT believe the lies were intentional (okay, at least I HOPE they weren't).
I know that management wishes this would "go away."
I do hope - and I stress the word HOPE - that they've learned from this unbelieveable lapse of good judgement which has cost them dearly in the eyes of the public. This has been a major SNAFU that the company must truly regret...

JPL
04-06-2008, 07:14 PM
I know to some, glassware may be a big issue, but in the overall scheme of things, does it really detract from your overall enjoyment? I think this will be something that they will iron out sooner than later, and all will be forgotten.

Any organization the size of DVC is bound to make mistakes. What separates the good from the bad is the willing to admit it, and correct it asap.

The problem is idea of amenities starting to disappear as much as it the glassware. DVC was trying to pull a fast one here as evidenced by the e-mail saying it was always this way. Yes they were hoping we would forget and let them get away with it. The Members called them on this and then they still don't follow through even after they put it in writing ie. Ed's request for glassware. Any way you slice this poor customer service which is becoming a big trend all over. I paid for the amenities so to me it is a big deal when they are taken away and yet my dues go up. I was sold DVC on the basis of having the comforts of home at WDW hence the "Welcome Home" slogan. I use glassware at home and it's part of the package. Imagine going to Best Buy and buying a top of the line big screen TV and when they deliver it's a noname brand and they say well hey you can still watch you shows right? What difference does it make?

Ian
04-07-2008, 09:54 AM

:ditto:

Any organization the size of DVC is bound to make mistakes. What separates the good from the bad is the willing to admit it, and correct it asap.As I said in my post, the issue of the glassware is really secondary to the other issues. Lying to your owners and this whole "left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing" stuff is what has irked me so badly.

And look ... this isn't an isolated issue for me. Virtually since I joined I've had stuff like this come up. I had a horrible experience with my very first stay at SSR involving a CM that I later found out multiple people had had the very same issues with. Yet there she was ... in the same guest service position she was in before when she was the subject of at least two similar complaints previously.

And then, when I reported my issue, I got a very modest apology and an assurance that they would "try their best" to make sure nothing like that ever happened again.

The whole thing was, once again, sort of brushed aside like, "Whoops ... oh well ... stuff happens." They just don't seem to have any real committment to providing great service to their owners. Look at the whole free internet thing!! Why the heck should it take MONTHS to stop charging for internet??? Once you've made the decision, make it free (which, quite frankly, it should have been all along anyway ... as Ed pointed out even Motel 6 has free internet!) and be done with it!

wendy*darling
04-09-2008, 07:14 PM
I have gotten a phone response to my email!
Actually someone called and left a message yesterday- which I did not have time to respond to. They called again today and left another message. Today I was able to call back.

It seems that they have received complaints from a number of Members who have been denied glassware at check-in.
She states they have been holding multiple meetings with resort management to make sure the correct info regarding this policy is out there- at the front desk as Members check-in.

I clarified that my email was not so much a complaint about the glassware, but about the poor communication we see on a continual basis. I then asked about the "free Internet" we were promised at the Annual Meeting in December. It was stated and published (by DVC) that this would occur in "Spring 2008." She agreed that it is now Spring 2008- but had no real info on why it hasn't happened yet. She agreed that offering a simple credit to a Member's check-out bill seems simple enough, but no reason why that hasn't happened yet..
But... she did "suggest" that a communication about this topic is coming soon.
So- we stay tuned.

And she said to keep those emails coming- the only way they know if a situation is not right is to hear from the Membership.
I promised I would continue to stay in touch! :thumbsup:

MinnieMommie
04-14-2008, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the follow up Linda. This is very helpful. I have called a couple of times to confirm that I am able to get the glassware for my upcoming trip and had another such conversation today. I will share my most recent conversation in hopes it may be helpful to others in any way. This is what was discussed
today:

I was read and told about the "official communication" concerning the availability of glassware in DVC studios. I was told that the glassware has been removed for sanitary reasons and the intent is to install small dishwashers in the dCV studios. I was told that upon request members are able to get the glassware in their studios. I was told that there should be no reason to be denied upon check in and that my request will be sent as part of my reservation confirmation letter. I was also advised to call the main number of my DVC resort and confirm his request (and tell I have it on my reservation) within 4 days of my stay.

I was also told that the official position about the free room internet is that they understand that this is supposed to happen during Spring
'08 but do not know the exact date yet.

My member service CM was very helpful and put me on hold to discuss both these issues with a supervisor and reviewed the official email on the subjects that has been given to the CMs. I have no sense that DVC is trying to pull the wool over anyone's heads on these issues. I'll let you (and them) know though if I have any trouble when I check in. :mickey:

Johnno52
04-14-2008, 06:25 PM
>I was told that the glassware has been removed for sanitary reasons and the intent is to install small dishwashers in the dCV studios.<

Great! after this happens we will go for the washer & dryer too. :thumbsup:

Mushu11756
04-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Yes it is true!!! We just got back from OKW and stayed in a studio and there was a couple of plastic knifes forks and spoons some paper plates and a few styrofoam cups....

DestinationWDW
04-28-2008, 06:03 PM
found the official write up, not sure if someone already posted it. If so here it is again
Resorts adjust studio glassware practices

As part of a continuous review of cleaning practices in Disney Resort hotels, leaders determined that hand washing dishware and glassware in Disney Vacation Club studio units wasn't sufficient to meet the company's cleanliness standards.

For studio accommodations at Disney Vacation Club Resorts in which glass-washing equipment is available (Disney's Beach Club Villas, Disney's BoardWalk Villas, The Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge, Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas and the Inn rooms at Disney's Vero Beach Resort), glassware and ceramic mugs now are cleaned in the glass washers, rather than by hand.

Studio accommodations at stand-alone Disney Vacation Club Resorts (Disney's Old Key West Resort, Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, the villas at Disney's Vero Beach Resort and Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa) now utilize disposable cups, since glass washers aren't available at those resorts. The company wanted to take action quickly, and using disposables was the most expedient solution. Housekeepers replenish the disposable cups upon request.

Disney Vacation Club leaders are investigating more environmentally friendly disposable products, as well as the possibility of installing glass washers at specified locations within the stand-alone properties.

Maleficent's Dad
05-01-2008, 09:28 AM
As of this week, the VWL studios had glasses, ceramic mugs, and liquid dish soap. :thumbsup:

MickeyMousse
05-01-2008, 09:42 AM
I have had 2 friends come back from their vacations last week.....one stayed at BCV studio and they had "the glassware that has always been there".....the one who stayed at OKW studio had plastic forks/knives, paper plates and styrofoam cups! Maybe they are starting the change over at the older resorts first???
I will make a point of requesting glassware for our next stay.

c&d
05-01-2008, 10:09 AM
Last week the VWL sill had glasses and ceramic coffee mugs in the studios.

wendy*darling
05-01-2008, 10:57 AM
I have had 2 friends come back from their vacations last week.....one stayed at BCV studio and they had "the glassware that has always been there".....the one who stayed at OKW studio had plastic forks/knives, paper plates and styrofoam cups! Maybe they are starting the change over at the older resorts first???
I will make a point of requesting glassware for our next stay.
OKW and SSR will continue to have disposable cups.
That's what the statement says. Since they do not have glassware cleaning facilities convenient to all of the spread-out buildings at these 2 resorts- they will provide disposables.
You can request glassware at those 2 resorts if you prefer.

The other DVC resorts (VWL, BCV, BWV, AKV) will have glasses and ceramic mugs. They have cleaning facilities in the main building/kitchens.