PDA

View Full Version : Flying help?!?!

tinkerbell98
03-10-2008, 01:56 PM
My family and I are flying for the first time in many years and the regs have changed so much that I need lots of help. I now that tioletries, liquids etc. have new regulations and I am wondering if someone can help me out whether it is to direct me to a web site about flying or information that others would like to share. It would be greatly appreciated.:mickey:

ALso, has anyone shipped things to the hotel prior to arrival and how does that work?? Is it worth it?

Taja
03-10-2008, 02:37 PM
You can check the TSA website at tsa.gov. There also may be a link from your airline's website.

Be sure to check with your airline regarding the number of bags you can check without additional charge. It has been changing lately.

If you ship a package to yourself at your WDW resort, be sure to use a private carrier such as FedEx, UPS or DHL, to name a few. Apparently anything sent through USPS goes to a general mail facility, regardless of how it is addressed.

Address your package:

Guest name
c/o Resort Name
Resort Address

Be sure to include your resort telephone number on your airbill--just in case!

I also add--in large lettering on all sides of the package: HOLD FOR GUEST (name) arriving MM/DD/YY.

I didn't do that initially and they had to look for my package. Even at PC (December 2007), they notified me that they had received my package and it was available at my convenience. :thumbsup:

I live in the western US and usually ship my package via ground service about two weeks prior to my arrival.

disneymom15
03-10-2008, 03:42 PM
The liquid restrictions apply only to carry on luggage, if you check your bags size won't matter.

AuntDJ
03-10-2008, 04:19 PM
The above poster is correct. I always mail a package to the resort ahead of time.

One thing to to note: be careful in packing the box, try not to send things that are easily crushable, like chips or gold fish..We send small cans of Dr. Pepper (as this cannot be found on DW grounds); cereal, cereal bars, pringles (but try to wrap these in bubble wrap for protection)...

Be sure to include you name, and arrival date on your box. Ours was delivered to our room after we checked in. I do use a carrier like UPS or Fed EX, and I try to send it about 5 days before my arrival to make sure it beats me there.

As far as Carry on, whatever you take needs to fit in a quart size zippie bag. I try not to take liquids on board. I try to pack it in the checked luggage.

Have fun!
DJ

chick20679
03-10-2008, 07:57 PM
My family and I are flying for the first time in many years and the regs have changed so much that I need lots of help. I now that tioletries, liquids etc. have new regulations and I am wondering if someone can help me out whether it is to direct me to a web site about flying or information that others would like to share. It would be greatly appreciated.:mickey:

ALso, has anyone shipped things to the hotel prior to arrival and how does that work?? Is it worth it?

Howdy, neighbor! You're not far from me!

Rules have certainly changed in the last few years, and if you'd like to PM me, I'd be glad to answer any specific questions you may have.

Keep in mind that if you are flying out of PWM (I assume you are) that the TSA there follow the rules listed on their website to a "t".

Any liquids, gels & aerosols (L,G & A)in your CARRY-ON bags needs to be 3oz or less (container size, not how much is left) and in a 1quart ziploc bag. You may have one ziploc bag per passenger. L, G & A include things like mascara and lipgloss, so keep that in mind.

Pretty much anything else (excluding hazardous materials, of course) can go in you checked baggage. But as another poster said, be sure to check with the airline you are flying to see how many bags you can check free of charge.

Have a great trip, and free fell to PM me if you have more questions! :mickey:

tinkerbell98
03-16-2008, 11:09 AM
Thanks for all of the great information. :mickey::thumbsup:

Bri
03-16-2008, 02:09 PM
also, for the 1 quart bag in your carry-on, the items need to fit COMFORTABLY in the bag. if the bag is bulging or unable to close they might give you a hard time. if you are checking bags anyway, i would just put all the liquids in the checked bags. make sure you put all liquids in the gallon ziploc bags and then put those ziploc bags in doubled grocery bags. i find that even if something leaks, packing it this way keeps anything from getting on your clothes.