PDA

View Full Version : Extended Family?

KAT1811
03-10-2008, 10:34 AM
DH and I were taking last night about our next WDW vacation. We are planning to visit the World November 6 - 16th (I'm going tot try to talk him into leaving on the 5th) We will be traveling with our 3 DDs (11, 3, and 1).

I am a stay at home mom (and business owner with my DH). We have a girl that cares for our children when we go out, maybe every 2 to 3 weeks and works at our company. I have known her since she was a toddler (she is now 20) and she is a phenomenal person. Good student, active in our church, great family values and morals, an overall great rolemodel for our 11 year old DD.

DH and I are thinking about bringing her to WDW with us. She is more like family and a tremendous help with the children. She has never been to WDW ever! This would be her first trip. What do you all think? I am asking your opinions and am open to opposition.

She is the only person we have ever left our children with other than family and as I said before I am the primary care giver and home just about 24/7 unless we venture out. She wouldn't be there as a caregiver but as a family member. Although I am certain she would be as big a help as she always is.

P.S. - If we bring her DH and I plan to foot the bill for everything except her spending money.

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
03-10-2008, 12:01 PM
I say take her...sounds like she's deserved it! Ask her and see what she thinks. I'm thinking free trip to Disney might get her attention.

disneymom15
03-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Sounds good to me. If she doesn't want to go, I'll go in her place (ha ha). We've taken some of our daughters friends with us several times. We usually pay for a portion of their trip (room, air and some meals).

faline
03-10-2008, 12:04 PM
I'm assuming you'll also provide her with some free time to go her own way? If so, by all means, bring her along.

tennantsrwe
03-10-2008, 01:49 PM
I think it is a wonderful idea. Sharing the Disney Magic is such an awesome thing to do. I would just suggest talking things over so everyone understands her role in the trip. She is going as a 'extended family member' and not the babysitter. That way she will know she can do a few things on her own if she chooses. She sounds like a great girl, hold on to her!

IloveDisney71
03-10-2008, 02:10 PM
We've often brought my DD's friends along during trips and it just makes it that much more fun. It sounds very generous of you!

I agree with the previous poster that you should lay out the "ground rules" before you go so everyone knows what to expect.

KAT1811
03-10-2008, 02:23 PM
I'm assuming you'll also provide her with some free time to go her own way? If so, by all means, bring her along.

She's under no obligation to stay with us any longer than she wants to. With that being said she isn't the kind of girl that would want to go off on her own. Especially in a place she isn't familiar with. I'm sure we will have a few nights when the group splits up and she can go her own way if she wants but I see her taking off at times with our oldest DD (she'll be almost 12 at the time).

The input is all great! I look forward to more comments and opinions.

January-2007
03-10-2008, 02:56 PM
Yes! Invite away! I wish the people I babysat for when I was younger invited me along! They were going to on their next trip, but moved before that happened. Sounds like you all get along really well, I think it'd be a great opportunity for you all to show her how much you appreciate her, especially if she's never even been to Walt Disney World before! :mickey: