PDA

View Full Version : Where to get Cels?

danimator
03-09-2008, 10:03 PM
I purchased one of the "Magic of Disney" animation cels last year at a beautiful shop dedicated to new and old production artwork and some cels created just for sale, but I don't remember where the store was. Whereabouts can you buy cels at the parks? Anyone know the store I'm talking about? Any help much appreciated! Thanks! :)

Piglet822
03-09-2008, 10:59 PM
Could you be thinking of Art of Disney? It's the only place that I can think of at the moment.
I know there's one in MK, Epcot, DHS, and DD. I'm not sure about AK.
They have all kinds of neat things including Disney themed counted cross stitch kits :thumbsup:

DDuck66
03-13-2008, 11:18 AM
I have noticed that a lot of the stores do not have the sericels lately but a lot of original artwork. I was at DHS on March 2nd and their Art of Disney store actually had several sericels and an artists that was making them as we watched. Usually you just have the hand drawn characters.

KODABEAR
03-22-2008, 11:28 AM
Last Sept. we found them at the "Art of Disney" in DTD, ask the friendly clerk, they have other cell's in the back!

jwallace378
03-25-2008, 01:16 PM
I used to purchase a sericel on every trip to WDW at Art of Disney. They didn't have much of selection on my last trip though. Hopefully they'll have a bigger selection when I'm there in three weeks.

thejens
03-26-2008, 11:29 PM
Are these horribly expensive?

Polynesian Dweller
03-27-2008, 09:50 AM
Last time we were there, October, there was a Disney Art Shop in the Innoventions West building just as you walk up the side of SSE. Really nice shop with lots of art and sericels.

Are they horribly expensive? Well that depends on what level you put that number at. Some are quite expensive (I remember some at $3500) and others are more modest at a $100 to several $100's. It depends a lot on the character depicted and the movie or cartoon being shown in the backdrop. Mickey's seem to be almost always the most expensive.

MsMin
03-27-2008, 10:28 AM
my dd just purchased an animation cel in January (18th). We are still waiting for it. They shipped it the first time with the wrong frame :rolleyes: That one was $945, but it was signed by Ron Clemens and limited to a production of 50. It depends on how many they have of a particular scene and how many characters are in the scene etc. She purchased an earlier one that ran about 450. Most cels will run near 400+ depending on the production.
I found this breakdown b/c I didn't want to give you wrong advice ;) However the stores in Disney have books of those available. Most of them if not all come from their California studio. Sometimes you have to order it if it's not available. Have fun shopping.

Three main types of special editions are on the market, which, in the case of Disney, all begin in the Ink and Paint Department. They are: Hand-inked limited edition cels: These are made using traditional animation techniques, which include tracing an animation drawing onto acetate by hand, using different colored inks, and hand-painting it with specially formulated gum or acrylic-based colors. Most hand-inked cels are combined with backgrounds, a small number of them hand-painted presentation backgrounds. Hand-inked and painted cels, released in editions ranging from 275 to 350 are the most expensive of the limited editions. Xerographic-line limited edition cels: Instead of being hand-inked, these are created by transferring the outline of the original animation drawing to the acetate cels by a six-step xerographic process pioneered by Disney in the 1950's. Many of these cels are then enhanced with hand-inked lines before being hand-painted and combined with a lithographic background. Sericels: The least expensive form of limited editon artwork is the serigraph, or sericel. To produce these silkscreens, artists create a hand-inked, hand-painted color model of animated characters, which is then transferred to the acetate cel by a silkscreen printing process known a serigraphy. The sericel is usually sold without a background and in considerably larger numbers (1,000 to 5,000) than the others. Among the many Disney sericels that have been made available are images from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Winnie the Pooh, Jungle Book, The Lion King, and Alice in Wonderland. I hope this explanation helps you in your adventure into Disney Art collecting!