PDA

View Full Version : Disney to offer vintage TV on Disney.com

5 Mousekteers
03-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Hi, I came across this article on the internet. This would be pretty cool if it happens.:mickey:

Disney to offer vintage TV on Disney.com
Disney to Offer Some Vintage TV Series on Its Web Site
By BLOOMBERG NEWS
Published: March 7, 2008
The Walt Disney Company will begin showing its classic television shows on
the Internet, its chief executive, Robert A. Iger, told shareholders on
Thursday.

"In the near future, you'll see more of that product available on
Disney.com, either for free or through some sort of subscription," Mr. Iger,
57, said at the company's annual meeting. "Providing physical goods on DVD
is tougher and tougher these days because shelf space is limited."

Disney, producer of the "Zorro" and "Davy Crockett" TV series in the 1950s,
is expanding Web revenue by selling programs from ABC and the Disney Channel
on Apple's iTunes Store and offering ad-supported episodes online. "Star
Trek" from CBS and "The A-Team" from NBC have been added to those networks'
Web sites. Mr. Iger did not say which shows Disney would provide.

CBS and NBC said last month they would put advertiser-supported episodes of
older TV series online. CBS shows include "MacGyver" and NBC will provide
"Miami Vice."

Disney bought Club Penguin, an online social network for children, in August
to help increase Internet sales. Mr. Iger is also expanding Disney's cable
network and animation businesses outside the United States. He is using hit
TV programs and films like "High School Musical" and "Hannah Montana" to
bolster sales in Disney's theme parks and its consumer products division.

"Each of these stories has been developed and enriched over time," Mr. Iger
said at the meeting in Albuquerque. They "work on multiple technological
platforms and appeal across multiple cultural and social backgrounds."

NJ Camper
03-09-2008, 03:05 PM
If you hear any more please post this would be so cool i remember when i was little watching the wonderful world of disney if i remember right it was sunday night and they the movies like which mountain ,ol yeller ,herbie (the orignal version ) etc. this would be great if they would rerun these on tv i miss those kinda shows keep us informed!!!!!

IloveDisney71
03-09-2008, 06:14 PM
I think this is a great idea. Keep us posted! Thanks

Melanie
03-09-2008, 07:49 PM
sunday night and they the movies like which mountain ,ol yeller ,herbie (the orignal version ) etc. this would be great if they would rerun these on tv i miss those kinda shows keep us informed!!!!!

Do you have the Hallmark Channel? Almost every Saturday morning they broadcast old Disney movies such as this.

laughingplace<3
03-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Will this include the Disneyland show?

2Epcot
03-10-2008, 09:57 AM
I would rather see these shows on the Disney Channel. I don't like watching TV programs or movies on a computer, but I do it when I miss something or didn't record it otherwise.

PlutoToo
03-10-2008, 11:05 AM
:crying::fit: We'll never have an internet connection fast enough for this, WAAAAAH!

Figment!
03-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Disney's Iger Sketches Web Plans For TV Classics; No Decision On Ad-Support Vs. Subscription

By David Kaplan
Forbes
3/7/2008

With DVD shelf space at retailers becoming increasingly crowded, Walt Disney Co. chief executive Bob Iger hopes to move some of its TV shows from the past 50 years to its website, Bloomberg reported.

Iger's remarks were made during the Q&A portion of Disney's annual shareholder meeting Thursday in Albuquerque.

His thoughts were conceptual in nature and didn't appear to reflect a clear plan for how Disney would distribute its TV programs.

So while Iger presented no time-frame on when a vintage TV web initiative would be launched, or what shows would be selected, the choice of revenue model is fairly clear-cut: "In the near future, you'll see more of that product available on Disney.com, either for free or through some sort of subscription."

Combing the Disney vaults for classic TV shows that would appear online is a natural progression from the entertainment giant's current digital strategy.

At the moment, ABC and Disney Channel programs are available on those properties' respective sites as ad-supported streams. Their shows are also available for paid download on iTunes.

Most media companies remain in the early stages, with both CBS and General Electric's NBC Universal experimenting with a mixture of syndication and media players on their own sites.

Those efforts mainly concentrate on recent or current TV shows, though NBC has recently added old warhorses such as Miami Vice and The A Team to its own site and to Hulu.