PDA

View Full Version : Just Back From GF. Any Questions?

jakeybake
03-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Hi,

Just got back from my 5 day conference at the Grand Floridian. My second time staying at the resort, the first was on my honeymoon in '91.

Ended up staying in 2 separate buildings do to a lousy room assignment at check in.

Be more than happy to answer any questions anyone may have!

Sad to be back!!

Jay

Jim1962
03-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the offer. Why was your room assignment lousy? Any suggestions on which room to request? I am book in a garden view room.

Thanks!

rjmdds
03-08-2008, 01:11 PM
We are heading down in late April and are staying Main Building/Club Level. Were you in the Main Building at all? Where did you stay? We can't wait!!

jakeybake
03-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Hey,

I was put in Big Pine Key, Room 9222. The building location was great but I had requested and upper level room a week or so before checking in. I was the first person in our group to check in and I was given a second floor room overlooking a utility area behind the pool. I found it quite noisy which I wasn't happy about.

I didn't want to waste any time so I ran off to MK as soon as I put my bags into the room. When I got back I ran into two people from my group who had just checked in. One was also in Big Pine Key, but was on the 4th floor. The other was in Sago Cay, on the 4th floor as well. Neither of them had requested anything special before hand but were given upper level rooms.

I immediately went back to the room and called the front desk and asked to be moved. They were very nice and accomodating and moved me to Conch Key, 4th Floor, Room 9421. It was a great room. 4th Floor Dormer Room, overlooking the lagoon with a direct view of the monorail. I was right over the marina where the watercrafts were housed. Right next to my balcony the building jutted out but if I had been on the other side of that jutted out area, I would of had a view of Cinderella Castle and the nightly fireworks.

So if you would like what is considered a Garden View room, but with a potential view of the Castle, request Conch Key, 4th floor down the hall from the elevator (any number larger than 7423) and you could luck out.

Jay

HulaMinnie
03-09-2008, 12:05 PM
That sounds like a nice view!

Was there any construction going on in the lobby while you were there?

DreamFinder2
03-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Did you eat at any of the resort restaurants? We're heading down on Saturday and have an ADR for Narcoosee's (dinner) and GF Cafe (afternoon tea).

Just wondering if you tried either of them.

Also, are there refrigerators in the rooms? Coffee makers?

Thanks for the room suggestion, too :thumbsup:.

jakeybake
03-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Hi,

There was no construction going on when I was there. The resort was peacful and quiet, though at night the lobby becomes loud when the swing band plays and all the families show up for their Park Fare reservations.

Regarding whether I ate there. I did eat at both Narcoose's and the GF Cafe and I loved them both.

Narcoose's reminded me of a louder and livelier Yachtsman Steakhouse. The food was wonderful and I sat by the windows and watched the Wishes Fireworks while dining.

The GF Cafe was also great. The food was of the more standard variety but the atmosphere was great.

TammiMcMan
03-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Glad you enjoyed your stay and that they were able to accomodate a room change. That's why I mentioned you should ask at check-in. They don't pre-assign rooms normally there, they just pull from available inventory when you arrive.

I love the main building, but Conch Key is probably my second favorite. I don't think there's a bad room view in the entire building.

I have never had afternoon tea in the Garden Lounge, but we eat lunch at the GF Cafe as much as possible. Love the casual atmosphere and the prices are not bad at all.