PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow is judgement day - again!

Marker
03-06-2008, 09:16 AM
Well, it's finally here. Tomorrow we find out if this round of layoffs will hit us or not. My team is feeling very vulnerable this time, more so than on previous rounds.

Our manager has ordered all of his people to work from the office tomorrow. He plans to talk face-to-face with everyone. So basically it'll be kind of like the American Idol results show. We'll all wait for our turn, to hear "you're safe" or "you're going home". Needless to say, it's not going to be a very productive day around here. I think morale is at an all time low, and it's been pretty darned low before.

Interesting thing is, I don't think anyone really cares. I'm really not sure which is the least desirable situation, getting the ax, or staying. No doubt they'll still be wanting the projects that are coming to be completed, and they'll want them in the same amount of time, even though we'll have fewer people to work on them, and we'll no doubt lose some key knowledge.

So, this time tomorrow, I may be on a 32 week paid vacation (thank God they're still offering the full severance package), or left here to attempt to pick up the pieces AGAIN.

But at least we'll know, and we can get on with life. I've held off of making any sort of plans or commitments for this summer. This will be the first time in like 15 years I'm not going to Boy Scout camp. And I've not made any Disney plans either. If I'm laid off and haven't found a job, won't really want to be spending the extra cash, and if I have found a job may not be able to take any time off yet. And going from 5 weeks vacation back down to 2 will really be a pain.

Oh well, we'll see.

tinkerbell04
03-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Well, I don't know if you want :pixie: or just wanted to vent. I hope it all works out the way that you want it to, and if it doesn't I hope that things start to look up for you soon. Keep us posted on what happens. :mickey:

crazypoohbear
03-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Best of luck with the "ax auditions"
I hope things work out best for you.
This is such a tough time all around for everyone in this economy. (not a politcal statement! Just a human observation)

Jeff G
03-06-2008, 10:29 AM
Best of luck tomorrow Marker, it sounds like you are in a no win situation. I sure hope this works out for your betterment whatever the outcome.

bleukarma
03-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Good Luck tomorrow!!!!!! :pixie:

AuntDJ
03-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Marker~ I feel for you, I really do!

On Jan 23 we had our "ax auditions" I had previously made it to this 2nd round...so really I was feeling pretty strong...WRONG...

However, since they do have projects that need finishing, they told us in Jan we were being let go, but we had to stay until May 2 to get our severence package...which isn't 32 weeks, but still a very good package for me.

So here I sit at a job I have been let go from and not really able to look for another job yet, as I can't start until after May because I have put in 10 years here and feel I deserve the severence... And my boss is delusional enough to think that my team still feels like giving 110%??? Don't get me wrong, we are doing our job, we are just doing it at a more leisurely pace...

As a side, we felt the same way, we knew it would be coming, we all just thought we would be safe for another year or so...so it was kinda a relief once we found out the date...still hard, but now we could start to plan for it..

After all of that....I really just wanted to say Good Luck and you are not alone in the is boat, you will always have company with me!

DJ

Disneyatic
03-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Lots of luck to you that tomorrow turns out positive.
My husband and I are in the same boat. We have made it through 3 rounds of layoffs and now the question is "Will the company survive at all?" I am beginning to think the people who got layed off with severance were the lucky ones! Morale is at an all time low here also and everyday I ask myself "Do I stick it out and see or do I leave on my own accord?" We have a vacation planned for December and I hate to get excited about it because depending on what happens, it may not be possible.

Sorry to digress, but once again, good luck to you and all your co-workers.

Marker
03-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Lots of luck to you that tomorrow turns out positive.
My husband and I are in the same boat. We have made it through 3 rounds of layoffs and now the question is "Will the company survive at all?" I am beginning to think the people who got layed off with severance were the lucky ones! Morale is at an all time low here also and everyday I ask myself "Do I stick it out and see or do I leave on my own accord?"

Sounds like a very similar situation. And to your comment about company survival,
boy can I relate. Sprint stock has dropped to below $7. That's not cool on many levels.

That's not cool for the company, not cool for the stock options I have, not cool for the 401K matching funds that go into Sprint stock. I guess the other side is, those matching funds are buying a lot more shares than they used to.

meldan98
03-06-2008, 12:04 PM
My sympathies. I really hope it works out the way you want it too. My husband and I have both been through this. We had been at our company 7 years when they started with the layoffs. It was hard to see all of our friends and co-workers be put through hell. Unfortunately, they only offered 1 week severance for every year you worked there, but only if you stayed and through your layoff date. The only problem was on only about 20% got the severance, because some were let go immediately just before the holidays and weren't eligible for the severence.

murphy1
03-06-2008, 12:24 PM
Me and dh have both been laid off twice. That stinks on the vacation, that happened to my dh, too. Because I have been laid off, I don't have loyalty to companies anymore, I started doing my freelance business and actually have since all of it happened the second time, I have always found a way to make things work I guess. Good luck. And this economy does stink!

Gooftroop5
03-06-2008, 12:39 PM
I hope things go the way you really want. It's so hard to decide which might just be the better way.

I think unfortunately there are too many of us that live with this. I've lost count how many times we've worried about dh's job. Not that he fit the profile they were usually after the older, higher paid & more vacation time people. However we have learned in the past that no one is safe.

DVCWDWMEMBER
03-06-2008, 12:41 PM
I am so sorry that you have the stress of not knowing if you will have or be without a job. :(
I hope for you whatever happens tomorrow will be for the better for you and your family.
Hang in there.:thumbsup:

crazeedizneefinatic
03-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Oh my! What stress, we know what it's like. I had just had my son in 2000, my husband was safely and securely working in his career making good money. My son was 1 month old and he was told the company is closing, filing bankruptcy and he had 1 month to find something. We were in panic mode. At least they had the decency to tell him. Stress levels were high, morale at work was so low, people would not show up to work and just quit. It was awful. For 4 months he worked making less than half of what he was, we lived on credit, bad choice but we did not have much savings. We are still paying for it and that was 7 years ago. Funny thing is, my husband found a job making good money again with a huge company here in Pittsburgh, he has actually hired 3 people from the old company. Sorry, started to ramble there. I wish you luck! I hope when everything is done and said you find something more secure and making more money!

SBETigg
03-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Marker, best wishes for the best possible outcome for you tomorrow. :pixie:

mrsHerbie53
03-06-2008, 05:39 PM
Best wishes to you!

If you don't mind me asking, what industry is this?

Hammer
03-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Marker, as someone who worked in the telecommunications industry and thankfully got out (before I was laid off), I'll be hoping for the best for you :pixie:. I agree with others to get your resume out there. I don't know what cable company services your area, but if you are near the headquarters you should look to see about working there. Many cable companies now have voice communication divisions and you would be very well suited for that sort of job with your background.

Jeff
03-06-2008, 10:12 PM
Good luck Mark!

disneydeb
03-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Marker, good luck with your situation tomorrow. The economy doesn't look good for any of us unless we own an oil well somewhere.

Mousefever
03-07-2008, 03:26 AM
Marker, I hope everything turns out for the best. I'll be thinking of you.

Amy

:dory:

merlinmagic4
03-07-2008, 06:55 AM
Good luck today, Marker! :pixie:

Marker
03-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Well, thanks for the kind wishes folks.

Looks like we dodged the bullet once again. We did lose one person, but not a direct member of our development team.

Even though it is a relief, we're still not sure who the lucky ones really are. But for now, we still have jobs.... until the next round. And if the stock price continues to fall, that's probably not too far away.

Maybe it's time to plan a trip?

bleukarma
03-07-2008, 11:40 AM
I’m happy you dodged the bullet today and you’re still employed, but I know how stressful it is having possible unemployment hanging over your head! Working in real estate…we just never know when we are going to be the next branch to get “the” meeting. Hang in there! :mickey:

SgtTigger
03-07-2008, 07:10 PM
Marker....... I am glad it was good news......

Look forward and dont look back..... Live for today.......... and you are right it is time to plan a trip......

:cop: :tigger: