PDA

View Full Version : Movie for 11-12 Year Olds?

merlinmagic4
03-04-2008, 08:31 AM
Hello!

Does anyone have any suggestions for a movie for 11-12 year old boys who like to live on the edge? PG-13 is okay (and probably desired) but R is out.

My son is always talking about these movies his friends are seeing (i.e. Disturbia) and really wants to see them but I'm just not sure! He is having a movie night at home for his birthday and I don't know what to pick. If it's a "baby" movie, they'll make fun of him but if it's totally inappropriate their parents will be mad!

Help!

Mickey'sGirl
03-04-2008, 08:56 AM
I don't know Kelly -- I'm extremely liberal and I wouldn't let my 11 or 12 year old kid watch Disturbia.

I know it's been out for a long time, but what about Transformers? My guys LOVE LOVE LOVE it .... They love the old Indiana Jones Movies (a great prep for the May realease of the 4th segment) .... Ghost Rider and Eragon (out last year) are other favourites of DS9. I scanned the Tribute site, and I don't know that there's anything new being released to DVD right now.....

merlinmagic4
03-04-2008, 09:07 AM
I don't know Kelly -- I'm extremely liberal and I wouldn't let my 11 or 12 year old kid watch Disturbia.

I know! That's why I'm having such trouble with this! I like the Indiana Jones idea - maybe with a promise to take them to the movie in May (kind of a theme party - too dorky?) I don't think he has seen Ghostrider, Ergon, or Transformers but I may be wrong.

Great ideas; thanks so much!!!

d_m_n_n
03-04-2008, 09:20 AM
My oldest DS is 10 and these are his favorites...

Indiana Jones (1st and 3rd, he admits the 2nd one is pretty intense)
Star Wars (Much to my :D he enjoys the originals the most)

Mickey'sGirl
03-04-2008, 09:25 AM
My oldest DS is 10 and these are his favorites...

Indiana Jones (1st and 3rd, he admits the 2nd one is pretty intense)
Star Wars (Much to my :D he enjoys the originals the most)
I agree about the 2nd Indy too!! freaky and gross!

thrillme
03-04-2008, 12:21 PM
I'm a little confused by your post.

Are you talking about GOING to the movie in May or RENTING a movie in May?

Rentals: Transformers, Indy, Star Wars, any Jackie Chan's, Sky High, Pink Panther (Steve Martin)...oh gosh there are soooo many...

Going to the movies...In may we're looking at Iron Man, Indiana Jones, Narnia Prince Caspian, SPEED RACER (3-D) (this one oughta rock).

My DS is that age range and those are the ones we plan to see. SPEED RACER is going to be a 3-D flick and they might get an extra kick out of that.

PirateLover
03-04-2008, 03:24 PM
I'm a little confused by your post.

Are you talking about GOING to the movie in May or RENTING a movie in May?

I'm pretty sure the poster meant that the party is coming up soon, but if they choose to watch Indy movies, she would also take them to go see the 4th one in May which is when it comes out.

I like the Indy idea, and also agree with Transformers. Some other recent ideas: The Simpsons Movie, Fantastic Four Rise of Silver Surfer, Spider-Man 3.
Also boys that age are usually into silly gross out stuff like the old Jim Carey movies- Ace Ventura, Dumb and Dumber etc

WDWFREAK101
04-19-2008, 12:55 PM
I don't know how many times this has been discussed on Intercot. You need to figure out what your kids like, dislike, what they can handle and what they CAN'T handle. I am a parent myself and Disturbia was one of my favorite movies. It isn't much of a horror movie, It is more like a suspense/mystery. It is bad sexually though.
Movies like Spider-Man 3 (One of my all time favorite movies) is just a superhero movie. What do you expect. PG-13 for action violence, not that big of a deal.
Transformers was the same way, Action Violence. (There is a brief tension between the 2 main characters though.:heart:)
You need to go to parent websites find out what is on the movies that you don't want your kids watching. Of course every single movie out there now has SOME type of garbage in it. Ask him what movies he wants to see and look them up. Disturbia, might be a movie to wait out on. If he gets scared of the SLIGHTEST thing, skip it. It isn't scary at all but it is very suspenseful. It is more of a teen movie than an 11 and 12 kid movie. I went to the movies with my son and a couple of his friends and his girlfriend and we all had a great time seeing Disturbia but you might want to reconsider your options. Give him an A list and a B list. Hope this helps.