PDA

View Full Version : Michael Bay, Please Stop!

PirateLover
03-03-2008, 11:56 PM
I just read that Michael Bay's production company, Platinum Dunes, now has plans to remake the 1968 film Rosemary's Baby. Platinum Dunes is already said to be working onremakes of Nightmare on Elm Street, The Birds and Friday the 13th.

WHY? I am so sick and tired of remakes. WHY WHY WHY? All of these movies are classics. Robert Englund IS Freddy, it's just ridiculous. How can you do The Birds without Hitchcock? ARGH! This stuff makes me angry.

CaptSmee
03-04-2008, 12:10 AM
Unfortunately, it's because remakes are generally inexpensive especially horror movie remakes and they have a cult/niche following and are usually guaranteed to make money. I would actually like to see a good Friday the 13th update. But the Birds? You'd think they had learned their lesson after the Psycho remake!:mad:

Dragongirlx
03-04-2008, 04:06 AM
My Dada always says the reason for this is that there hasn't been an original idea in Hollywood for the last 20 years - hence the amount of remakes and movies that have exactly the same plot (excluding enchanted of course).
Maybe we should all start writing our own movies :thumbsup:

CAS
03-04-2008, 07:45 AM
It's all about money. I guess if I had a production company and I knew I could make $100 mil I wouldn't care how it's done either. These people aren't artists, they're businessmen. Hollywood does things just like Silicon valley does with computing, Detroit does with autos, and Wall Street does with investments. I don't fault them for it, I just won't look at it as art.

To be fair, a movie has a certain lifespan with the general public. To make a young person watch a B@W movie from decades gone by would be a task. Acting styles, genres, etc change drastically over time. I have to sheepishly say that if I watch some of the originals of the modern day remakes I now enjoy...I kind of wince. :blush: (and I'm over 30).

PirateLover
03-04-2008, 12:01 PM
I know it's about money and not a burning desire to trump or update the old one. guess I'm just one of the rare young people (22) that enjoys movies from all eras and feels like acting was much better decades ago and that B&W films have a mystic, sometimes romantic quality to them. I wouldn't necessarily call myself a movie "buff" but I am a fan.... I just think that people should get their own ideas.

2Epcot
03-04-2008, 07:49 PM
I agree, I would like to see more original films and less remakes. I don't mind some of the old TV shows that are turned into films ... if it is done well. As for the classic films, I'd like to seem them left alone and for someone to come up with something new. As for Michael Bay, I've never been a big fan of his directing style. He came from the music video world, but never really left it. I think Pearl Harbor was his only film I think I really liked.

Rhetoric2000
03-05-2008, 06:49 AM
This is the single greatest thread title I've ever seen on intercot.

PirateLover
03-05-2008, 04:38 PM

Hahaha ;)

diz_girl
03-05-2008, 04:39 PM

Ditto.