PDA

View Full Version : first time flier

mouselover93
03-03-2008, 04:33 PM
this december my parenst me and my freidn are flying to disney. ( gulp ) does anybody have any tips for a first time flier who's nervous about both heights and planes

Strmchsr
03-03-2008, 04:59 PM
First, relax, and just think of the sheer number of planes that fly each day with no incidents. Second, learn what turbulence really is (I've posted on here about it before) so if/when you hit it you won't be alarmed. Third, do a google search on fear of flying. There are some excellent website, including a couple done by pilots, that really give great advice and help dispel some myths/fears.

caryrae
03-03-2008, 05:00 PM
All I can think is bring stuff to keep you busy, books, games, portable dvd player and movies ect. I bring a Nintendo DS & dvd player and movies, for me watch 2 movies and I'm there.

My Father in Law thought he would be scared and never flew til just a couple years ago when we all went to WDW he was in is upper 50's. As soon as we landed and got off the plane he said he loved it and it has opened up a new world to him because just recently he made his life long dream trip to Hawaii, which he would never had done if we didn't get him on that plane.

mook3y
03-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Like others said, learn about turbulence so you know what to expect. Bring chewing gum or something like that, it helps your ears to adjust to the cabin pressure easier.

Realize that it is way safer and faster than driving there.

Keep yourself distracted. Maybe portable video games?

Have a great trip!

As stated above.. it will open up a whole new world for you! :D

Ed
03-03-2008, 05:48 PM
If you're concerned about heights, choose a center or aisle seat. Personally, I always choose a window seat because the terrain below fascinates me. When I get bored, I find that working crossword puzzles occupies my mind and helps make the time go by.

Don't be bashful about letting the flight attendants know that it's your first flight. They're used to that, and they'll usually be very helpful in putting you at ease.

From your area, you're only looking at about a two and a half hour flight; you'll be surprised how quickly it goes by.

As others have pointed out, flying is a whole lot safer than driving (especially along that notorious I-95 corridor), and you'll be getting to WDW a whole lot quicker!

As they used to say in the old bus commercials, "Sit back, relax and enjoy the ride."

:plane:

NJ Camper
03-03-2008, 06:09 PM
I also don't like heights and even worse for me i'm a firefighter but i have been on a plane three times 2 to disney from nj to disney around 2 hrs your trip maybe a little more not sure i also made a trip to antiqua that was a little longer but well worth it we have driven many times to disney also and spend 2 days each way think of it this way 2 hrs or 2 days you can be there the same day having fun or spend 4 days driving you could have a longer trip by flying verse driving its not that bad try chewing gum and find something to keep busy video games, mp3 player ,read or depending on when you fly sleep it will be over before you know it and think of all the fun you will have it worth it :mickey:

Johnno52
03-03-2008, 07:20 PM
Some take "Gravol" for stomach uneasiness, you can consult your doctor about this and see if its right for you. All the above tips are right on as we all do them as you will see once you get on your plane. I also use earplugs to tone down the humming of the engines and cut down any loud crying from children, this does happen occasionally. Wear comfortable clothes sometimes the planes are cold, make sure you are dressed for it. We've read not to use the pillows or blankets as they carry germs. Use wipes on your tables for the same purpose. All that, have a nice flight.

Tick-Tock
03-03-2008, 07:26 PM
I hate heights, but that doesn't affect my flying. It's kind of abstract when you're that high up. Like others have said, get an aisle seat and don't look out the window. It's great to have a book and/or portable DVD player or even just take a nap.

You may want to familiarize yourself with the current security requirements when you get closer to your trip. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has a lot of information on its website, like lists of prohibited items, that can save you a lot of hassle at the airport and help you pass through security quicker.

Stitchahula
03-04-2008, 03:42 PM
I hate flying but I love disney. I go to my doctor and get something for the flight. I still go white knuckle though. good luck.

JerseyDad
03-04-2008, 03:50 PM
....I too...do not "like" to fly...but have to sometimes for business...and the occassional trip to my daughter's Cheer competitions in Atlanta. My 5 helpful solutions to the issue are:

...relax

...bring something to read and distract you

...bourbon
...bourbon
...bourbon

...oh...and I always drive from NJ to WDW. ;)

mrsgaribaldi
03-04-2008, 03:52 PM
I hate flying and I have easily done it over 30 times since 1998, all to Florida;)DH used to be afraid but he got used to it now. Watch the flight attendants, as long as they don't look nervous then I don't worry. I also have a squishy ball that I clutch on take off and landing, it helps me with my nerves. :blush: I try to take enough meds so that I am asleep though. I bring my ipod, magazines and books to read in case I'm awake. One thing I like to chant in my head is "thousands of planes fly every day and none of them ever crash" It's good to remember that:mickey:

caryrae
03-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Flying doesn't scare me or anything but it can be pretty boring at times.

My worst time flying was when we went from Minneapolis to Cairo with a stop in Amsterdam, the flight was good no bad turbulance but man that was the most bored I have been in my life. The first flight to Amterdam was like 8 1/2 hours then the second to Cairo was about 4 1/2 hours. I am sure others have been on longer flights but after 8 1/2 hours just on one flight, flying anywhere in the US is a piece of cake.

Tinks my favorite
03-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Ativan works wonders!

E-OR
03-04-2008, 07:57 PM
I'm glad to see this post and see how those who don't like to fly manage to get on a plane. My 18 year old son hates to fly and has had a panic attack once while flying back from WDW. Because he really wants to go to WDW and knowing how uncomfortable it was for him we finally went to the doctor to get medication that will help him to relax and get through the flight. He is also afraid of heights so it is interesting to hear how many that don't like to fly are also afraid of heights. We are taking another trip next September and he is already working on getting himself prepared to get on the plane.

Beast_fanatic
03-04-2008, 10:00 PM
...bourbon
...bourbon
...bourbon

I don't think that part is appropriate for the original poster since they are below the legal drinking age (14). :blush:

mrsgaribaldi
03-04-2008, 11:11 PM
I'm glad to see this post and see how those who don't like to fly manage to get on a plane. My 18 year old son hates to fly and has had a panic attack once while flying back from WDW. Because he really wants to go to WDW and knowing how uncomfortable it was for him we finally went to the doctor to get medication that will help him to relax and get through the flight. He is also afraid of heights so it is interesting to hear how many that don't like to fly are also afraid of heights. We are taking another trip next September and he is already working on getting himself prepared to get on the plane.

I get panic attacks too and I take Xanax about 30 minutes before boarding. I also never sit by the window or look out the window:mickey: Believe me, if I can fly he can too;)

cindybarth
03-05-2008, 08:54 AM
Hi Mouselover ... you're in Scranton ... I'm in East Stroudsburg! Are you flying out of Avoca, Lehigh Valley or someplace bigger? Do you have a direct flight?

I don't like flying either ... we've driven many many times to Disney. BUT, we're flying this time too ... out of Lehigh Valley, direct flight ... and as I am being told it won't be long (a little more than 2 hours). Hopefully you have a direct flight ... I don't like the going up and down part, so it cuts half of that out by going direct!

I am also going to bring a book that I've been looking forward to reading for a while ... to keep me interested ... and a snack, something I usually don't have (a treat) to make it seem special ...

good luck! We're going in April, so if I have any tips AFTER my flights, I'll get on and post for you again!

:thumbsup:

Taja
03-05-2008, 11:32 AM
I have a fear of heights, too. At least, I thought I did. Turns out I'm fine flying, but I have a fear of falling instead of heights! I don't do ladders, look over cliffs, etc., but I'm fine as long as I feel secure! You might want to see if you're affected the same way.

Beyond that, talk to your doctor. Medication is available, but he or she may have other ideas that will help you relax.

Many of the other tips already posted are very good. If you don't chew gum, take some hard candy to **** on during take-off and landing--or if your ears block at any time during the flight.

rt207
03-06-2008, 08:46 PM
I was a nervous wreck before my first flight last year. My biggest worry was that I'd get sick:sick:. I took an OTC motion sickness pill while waiting to board "just in case". My fears were worse than the reality and I ended up liking it. Light turbulence feels like driving over a dirt, or potholed road to me. I just kept thinking of it in those terms and had no problem. Think of the take off as if you're on Rock-N-Roller Coaster and you're good to go. If you're flying out of Avoca (that's where I flew out of), the smaller jets on the shorter runways make it a little more intense than the big airports, but it was actually quite fun. Once in the air, the rumbling put me to sleep...:blush: