PDA

View Full Version : Airfare - just made myself crazy!

mrshams
03-02-2008, 08:57 AM
I'm a planner, an overanxious planner and when planning Disney trips, I get crazy and don't listen to anybody. I'm planning my family's trip in September and have been watching the air from NY to MCO. AA and Delta showed some good flights & prices last week, and I was inclined to book it -- to ease my anxiety and also with the oil prices increasing, I was scared that if I waited, it would go up a lot. So I booked them last week, for what I thought was a good rate. I said to myself that after I book, don't go back and look at the prices. But what did I do last night? I went and checked and what do you suppose happened? The flights were significantly less than what I booked. $70 a person less. For four of us thats $280 that I could have saved if I just waited a week. Don't let this happen to you! I was a crazed lunatic at my house last night, thinking what that $280 could have bought me at MK.

princessjojo
03-02-2008, 09:16 AM
Don't feel bad. I'm the same way. When SWA opened up flight dates for my travel time, I booked that day. I have to admit that I did get a pretty good rate- $167/person/rt. But I also know that they have a tendancy to lower rates to $39-$59/person one way too. But I had a specific timeframe that I wanted. Now I too find myself looking back every now and again to see if the rates are any lower than what I originally paid. The fortunate thing is that with SWA, I can rebook and get credit for that amount that I paid originally.

But yes, I do find myself looking around to see if I did indeed get the better rate. I think it's only normal.

IceCreamlover
03-02-2008, 10:54 AM
I, too, go CRAZY trying for the lowest airfare. As you said, when you're buying for 4 people the difference adds up. But if you booked Jetblue they'll credit you the difference in price if the airfare goes down. You just have to use it within a year. I always do that. Once I book, I keep watching & as soon as I notice a reduction I call Jetblue & they credit me. I believe Continental may do it too, but not sure. Good luck!

Mfarquar
03-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Consider calling the airline and explaining the situation. Before you call, make note of what their competitors are charging and what their current prices are.

Then call and explain that you are a very loyal customer to their airline, but you feel you were penalized for booking ahead of time. Also explain (if applicable), it could be worth it to cancel your flights, paying the fee, and then booking with a competitor (because you could save money or leave at a better time for the same price as you're paying now).

This was the situation with a co-worker of mine. She booked WAY too far in advance, and was paying $320 a person to leave from Newark to MCO. The price then went down to $220 a person. She called Continental (I suppose it probably helped that their competitor, JetBlue, had just starting servicing Newark), and explained the situation above. They gave her a $70 gift certificate per person in her party (which was 5 people).

She was able to use these toward her next trip to Disney! :)

It may or may not work, but if you get the right person or ask for supervisor (if necessary), they may understand your situation and compensate you in some way.

BigRedDad
03-02-2008, 12:04 PM
This is why I book through SWA. They let you cancel and give you dollar for dollar credit. Then use the credit for the lower fare. They do not charge for this like the other carriers.