PDA

View Full Version : alligators and resorts!!

EmmMOM2
03-01-2008, 09:52 AM
Just curious if anyone knows.

Port orleans has that river running through the property and many other resorts are on lagoons or lakes.. Are gators every found in these?
Does disney have gates on their waterways, or do people watch out for gators..

Just kinda curious, i've never seen any their but know they can get into other waterways pretty easily.

Not2Loud
03-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Never have seen one, but I am sure they pop up from time to time.

NJ Camper
03-01-2008, 10:11 AM
We stay in FW where there is lots of water also between lake and creeks but we have never seen any gators now that i think of it i don't remember any snakes either how about anyone else seen any snakes just those little lizzards :mickey:

Dreamin_of_Disney247
03-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Ha! Ha! This thread brings back a memory. Our first year at disney, Our honeymoon, DH and I went to The Magnolia golf course to play a round of golf. Okay, he played and I drove the cart. Anyway we were paired up with a son and father from Australia. So there we are on the 4th hole and out of no where comes this gator onto the putting green and is about 4 feet from DH's ball. He was sitting there saying Well, I'm through! And then the Dad from Australia gets out of our cart and starts walking toward the gator and makes him move and then the gator snaps at him and he was cursing the gator the whole time. My DH couldnt believe it. He was shocked at this and was laughing hysterically. The man sat back down and said "you can play now mate!" :golf:

Piglet822
03-01-2008, 10:51 AM
The general rule of thumb is this, if you see a body of water assume there is at least one gator in it.
Disney does a pretty good job of controlling the nuisance animals but there are no fences around the lakes, lagoons and rivers on property and gators will wander from one body of water to another. You might not see one but that doesn't necessarily mean there isn't one there.
I've seen gators in several bodies of water on property, some isolated from resort areas, some in resort areas, and of course the gator that lives in MK in the Rivers of America.
Years back when I was doing the airport shuttle and Coronado Springs was one of my regular stops one of the CM's grabbed me one day to show me something. We started walking down one of the paths that runs betweens the buildings. There was a gator sunning himself. A mere couple of feet from the sidewalk that guests use to get around the resort. :eek:

Maleficent's Dad
03-01-2008, 11:08 AM
In December we stayed at OKW. One of the bus drivers actually slowed the bus heading down Peninsular (the main road of OKW) and pointed out a gator in the river.

Otherwise, I've seen them on the golf courses numerous times (always in the water, however). One time, en route to the airport (car service, not DME) the driver pointed out a gator in one of the small bodies of water at the airport!

They've never bothered us; I actually think they are amazing to see - but we don't get anywhere close to them! Just give them the respect they deserve if you do see them, and you'll have nothing to really be concerned about.

disneymom15
03-01-2008, 11:31 AM
We've seen some by the value resorts.

slegrant
03-01-2008, 11:47 AM
I have been going to Disney World every year of my 36 year existance and only recently have I seen Alligators. We generally stay at Fort Wilderness or the Wilderness Lodge and we have seen an alligator twice in Bay Lake and one in the Canal by the 300 Loop. All three were 5 ft. or smaller. We talked to one of the Pest Managment cast members and they told us once they hit 4 or 5 ft. they catch them and relocate them to their wildlife conservation area's.:goofy2:

SgtTigger
03-01-2008, 11:50 AM
In the Magic Kingdom in Fronterland by the wooden bridge that goes to Splash and Big Thunder right behind the hot dog cart.... They have a sign that says don't feed the Alligator...
Seems one smart gator keeps getting in the river and hanging out right there for a free meal.... I have not heard anyone talk about it in a few years though.......

:cop: :tigger:

Aurora's Spindle
03-01-2008, 01:06 PM
We stayed at the Fort Wilderness campgrounds back in the mid-80s, when I was a couple of years old, and I am told by my grandfather that there were alligators there.

Also, we once saw a small alligator - less than two feet - in the Frontierland water in the Magic Kingdom. It was about four (?) years ago now, and I believe Tom Sawyer Island was closed at the time. A CM had told us early on in the trip that it was because of the 'gators in the water, and we had laughed, but after seeing one, maybe it was the truth to some small degree. ;)

smickey
03-01-2008, 01:13 PM
We were coming out of the WL on the bus and as you go under the WL sign, on the right hand side is a little pond set back from the driveway. Its very small but we saw an Alligator sunning himself on the bank in the morning. Did not see him later that day.:mickey:

BigRedDad
03-01-2008, 01:16 PM
If there is water and fish in FL, you will find alligators. Alligators are not to be worried about. They truly are more afraid of you than you of them. The ones you have to worry about are the ones that are fed by people. This does not happen often. When it does, the alligator moves closer to where people are. When this happens, Fish and Wildlife will capture and destroy the alligator.

jrpersinger
03-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Shades of Green has atleast one on property. I have seen it on each trip. My stepdad didn't believe us that it was there till we were sitting out on the balacony and he seen it on the golf course.

I am not sure if its the same one, but it used to hang out in the ponds by the gate too. Which always made me kinda nervous walking to and from the Poly, esp at night....

JPL
03-01-2008, 01:40 PM
I have been at PORS and when taking the boat to DTD the boat captain was shining his light towards the banks back and forth when I asked what he was doing he said hhe was on gator patrol :eek: So yes they are on property no way to avoid that in Florida. When they are spotted in a guest area they are moved to a different area of the property.

LilHooligan74
03-01-2008, 01:52 PM
We in live in the Redneck Riviera so we are use to Alligators and the very seldom Crocodile(helped here by humans). They spend a good bit of time here on the greens of golf courses.
Back to topic, last year we were at Tusker House in AK after watching the parade and we looked down into the river and saw a small Crocodile sunning himself half in half out of the water. I found a CM to ask about the Croc and he seemed to believe that the Croc either migrated some strange way or it started life as a pet and somehow managed to show up at AK. I bought that because most Crocs around here started life as pets, and this one had very beautiful colors and patterns.

All three were 5 ft. or smaller. We talked to one of the Pest Managment cast members and they told us once they hit 4 or 5 ft. they catch them and relocate them to their wildlife conservation area's.:goofy2:
That is nice to here, around here when one over that size is found in a public area it is relocated to the afterlife.
In the south these creatures are just a way of life

CaptainJessicaSparrow
03-01-2008, 08:20 PM
In addition to gators, there are wild boars, turkeys, rabbits, raccoons, deer and wolves on property.

I've almost hit the deer because I usually leave later at night, when they are out.

I've seen the wolves as well too, and I had to do a double take to make sure I wasn't hallucinating.

As a rule of thumb in Florida, if there is water, there are gators.

brewcrew26
03-02-2008, 07:57 AM
I've only seen them on the little boatride from POR to Downtown Disney. Not in the water but just kinda lounging on the side. If I can find the pictures I'll try and post those (what did we ever do before digital cameras???)

#1donaldfan
03-02-2008, 08:03 AM
I've been on the boat from POR to DtD a million times and have yet to see a gator.....I guess I'm napping a little too soundly.....from now on, I'm going to look for 'em, the kids would love that !!!!!:mickey:

RALPH
03-02-2008, 05:33 PM
I only saw one once. A year ago last May I went down to FL to work. At night my boss (A disney nut) went to grab dinner at Beaches & cream in the Beach Club. While walking over the bridge to the hotel there was a gator moving up the canal. Intersting to say the least.

Hull-onian
03-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Well, we were waiting to go on the Jungle Cruise in Adventureland and a snake came right up beside me. I never jumped so fast. The snake, I guess was looking for something to eat :eat: and he went about his business. That is the only time I ever saw a wild creature like that on property.

LudwigVonDrake
03-02-2008, 06:03 PM
In 2003 we saw one around the back of the All-Star Music Broadway section. Wasn't that big but figured if there was one... :unsure:

MickeyChick
03-03-2008, 07:41 AM
All I know is that if I encountered an alligator outside of a zoo type situation, there would be massive freaking out and running.

Von-Drake
03-03-2008, 08:18 AM
I know there was, probably still is, one on the Shades of Green property. Just like an earlier poster, my wife hates the walk back to SOG from the POLY in the evening.

Everytime I go on Peter Pan I see a croc about to eat a guy in a red pirate suite. ;)

kakn7294
03-03-2008, 08:52 AM
Years back when I was doing the airport shuttle and Coronado Springs was one of my regular stops one of the CM's grabbed me one day to show me something. We started walking down one of the paths that runs betweens the buildings. There was a gator sunning himself. A mere couple of feet from the sidewalk that guests use to get around the resort. :eek:Oh thanks for that story Jeanne! I had a nightmare a few weeks ago (just after I decided that we'd stay at CSR) that an alligator somehow wound up in our room at CSR and now you're telling us that you saw a gator there!

In addition to gators, there are wild boars, turkeys, rabbits, raccoons, deer and wolves on property.

I've almost hit the deer because I usually leave later at night, when they are out.

I've seen the wolves as well too, and I had to do a double take to make sure I wasn't hallucinating.

As a rule of thumb in Florida, if there is water, there are gators.I've never seen the boars, raccoons (but don't want too - bad memory!), wolves, or gators. My DD's would love to see the wolves - it would be the thrill of a lifetime for them. We also saw a large black snake at Typhoon Lagoon. It was May '96 and right before closing. There weren't many people around and the snake was just slithering down one of the wide pathways like he owned the place (and since we all gave him a huge berth, I guess he did own it!).

diz_girl
03-03-2008, 10:58 AM
During our '89 trip we saw an alligator (close to relocation size) swimming around the riverboat of what is now Fulton's Crab House, when Pleasure Island was pretty new. It was a jazz club at the time that we saw the alligator. Since then I'm always on the lookout for more, especially when riding the monorail.

mook3y
03-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Last year, I was headed to get on Crush N Gusher at TL.

About a 5 ft black snake decided to take cuts in line. Lol it took its sweet time going across the path. I had given it plenty of room (not fond of snakes at all).

lol some teen came up and went to walk around me... until I pointed out the snake. they stopped quickly.

adoptionislove
03-03-2008, 01:22 PM
I have never seen a gator or snakes!

I will be careful at night at the Poly next week walking around, though!!!

Marilyn Michetti
03-03-2008, 02:18 PM
We've seen several at SOG. DH tried for about three days in a row to walk down at sunrise to get pics. Finally, the guard told him that a "sleeping" gator can go from nothing to about 30 mph faster than a man can.

DH gave up approaching the poor thing, but we saw it all week.:stop:

BigRedDad
03-03-2008, 02:30 PM
OK, this is going to freak the ladies out more than guys, but it is funny when it happens. FL is notorious for snakes coming up through the plumbing. I know it happens in homes, but not sure about hotels/resorts. It cracked me up many times when my mom or another person lifts the lid and a snake is splashing around in the bowl.

Another note. If you are freaked out by an alligator and want to run, be forewarned that an alligator is one of the fastest creatures in a straight line for about 100 feet. If you do run and think it is chasing you, make zig zag turns.

tinkerbell04
03-03-2008, 02:52 PM
We have seen an alliagator in the river?creek? by the beach club villas at the beach club. He was about 6 feet long and I didn't believe my parents until I saw him myself. :mickey:

Nini
03-03-2008, 07:49 PM
:eek:
OK, this is going to freak the ladies out more than guys, but it is funny when it happens. FL is notorious for snakes coming up through the plumbing. I know it happens in homes, but not sure about hotels/resorts. It cracked me up many times when my mom or another person lifts the lid and a snake is splashing around in the bowl.
:eek:

Okay now that's going to give me nightmares!!

Denise :mickey:

Quasimodo
03-03-2008, 09:21 PM
I've seen the gator in the River's of America while riding BTM.

A couple of years ago, we were entering AK. We had just gone through the bag check and my DD yells "snake!". I walked over to where she was and looked down and sure enough, a large corn snake about 4 ft long was sitting right behind one of the tables. The security guard turned around and said, "Oh, is she back again?". Then he turned back around and continued checking bags like nothing ever happened. I knew corn snakes aren't venomous, so I just laughed and went on in.

Dakota Rose
03-03-2008, 09:58 PM
I've never seen a gator but know they're there. When I went with my sisters in 1997, we visited Celebration. We all laughed hysterically at the "Don't feed the gators" sign posted by the lagoon in town. I kind of thought that would be a no brainer.

lockedoutlogic
03-03-2008, 10:24 PM
There are plenty of gators on WDW property....

WDW is...was...and will always be built on a swamp

you often see them in lakes, waterways, and especially golf course areas

there is a disney department that will relocate them if necessary

they pose no danger to anyone

Von-Drake
03-04-2008, 07:40 AM
I did see a snake just outside the main building at the Poly about 5 years ago. It did not bother me so much, but my wife was freaked out everytime we walked between the Poly and the Shades of Green for the rest of that trip and every trip since.

olinecoach61
03-04-2008, 08:51 AM
Last year we went on a bass fishing excursion from poly around the 7 seas lagoon. During our 2 hour trip we saw two gators, our captain pointed them out. They have named some of them and track their size, once they get too big, I think he said 8 feet, they relocate them. I have some pics I could post.

Ariel_Fan
03-04-2008, 09:39 AM
I've never seen a gator or a snake, but I have seen an armadillo...so not what you would expect in FL (or at least that's whay my small brain thought).

ncscgirl2005
03-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Well, we were waiting to go on the Jungle Cruise in Adventureland and a snake came right up beside me. I never jumped so fast. The snake, I guess was looking for something to eat :eat: and he went about his business. That is the only time I ever saw a wild creature like that on property.

OMG, I would die. Seriously. Now that I have read this, I will probably never go on Jungle Cruise again.

Brian
03-04-2008, 02:46 PM
We saw an alligator along the back side of Bay Lake. This was located away from, but to the left of Fort Wilderness. We were renting a boat at the time and could see its head above the water.

I also believe a small alligator used to live near the wooden walkway along the Rivers of America in the Magic Kingdom. I haven't seen it there on recent trips, though.

We've seen snakes on several occasions at Typhoon Lagoon. We've seen them slither across the path near the bus stops. We've also seen them inside the park, slithering across a path near what used to be Out of the Way Cay... prior to Crush 'n' Gusher.

I also remember a snake from when I was a kid. It was hanging out in the bushes around World Showcase while we were waiting for Illuminations to start. It was a little scary at the time, as it was dark and it was near the railing. I think I spent more time staring at the ground than at the sky that time.

Marilyn Michetti
03-04-2008, 03:02 PM
The gator's are interesting to see - I mean, there aren't too many in Az., but snakes would freak me right into the outer limits. If I ever saw one in my toidy, he could have it - we have grass - that's where I'd relocate to.:jaw:

SplashFan01
03-05-2008, 10:45 AM
A few years ago I saw a small gator (probably about 3 feet) in the rivers of america right next to aunt polly's where you get the pellets for the ducks. I expected to see them at resorts but I was very surprised to see one right in the middle of a theme park!

moe513
03-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Ive seen turkeys near the Poly and deer near the Contempory. But no gators yet.

jillluvsdisney
03-05-2008, 07:04 PM
I have seen deer on 2 seperate trips to the Wilderness Lodge. They were in piars grazing near thesecurity guard booth. I've also seen an armadillo walking on the shoulder of the road.

That being said....If I ever saw a snake anywhere in WDW, that would be it for me. I'd probably never go back again. I'm pretified of them. I cant' even watch them on TV.

KAT1811
03-05-2008, 09:28 PM
I We talked to one of the Pest Managment cast members and they told us once they hit 4 or 5 ft. they catch them and relocate them to their wildlife conservation area's.:goofy2:

This is what we were also told. It sounds like a big gator but when you see them they aren't all that big. Think snout to tail. Not that I would want one chasing me. Although I do remember the run zig zag rule I'm not too sure that I'll remember when it counts!!! LOL!!!

We saw a couple in Lago Dorado when we were staying at Coronado Springs a few years ago. Lets just say that I'll stick to the pools.

DDad saw one on the golf course but I suppose they are fairly common there. Just don't go into the rough looking for your ball, take the drop!

NJ Camper
03-05-2008, 09:40 PM
We also have seen turkeys,armidillos and deer still haven't seen gators or snakes and with staying in FW I would have thought we would see these before other resorts especially since I usually go down by the water to fish several times during our trips

Maleficent's Dad
03-06-2008, 09:16 AM
Okay, so I took a few minutes to get the links.
The quality isn't the best as we were not there to take pics, but you get the idea! ;)

Here are some pics of a gator at the palm:

Link #1 (http://family.webshots.com/photo/2165060240102262181NzNLLh)

Link #2 (http://family.webshots.com/photo/2561169040102262181YCSdwF)

And here are some turkeys (http://family.webshots.com/photo/2396583080102262181wngJux)

For those who golf, you can (most likely would) see lots of deer, turkeys, and even the occasional gator.

We saw a fox in November - very cool. We also have seen great birds and armadillos. For those who like golf and wildlife, the Disney courses can't be beat!!!

lovetheprincesses
03-06-2008, 02:53 PM
[quote=BigRedDad;1564806]OK, this is going to freak the ladies out more than guys, but it is funny when it happens. FL is notorious for snakes coming up through the plumbing. I know it happens in homes, but not sure about hotels/resorts. It cracked me up many times when my mom or another person lifts the lid and a snake is splashing around in the bowl.

How in the world does that happen??? Is that true??
:confused:

KAT1811
03-06-2008, 03:09 PM

This might possibly be enough to put me in an early grave!!! LOL!!! I always look first!!! You never know and I'd hate to find out the hard way!!!

LilHooligan74
03-07-2008, 01:27 AM
The gator's are interesting to see - I mean, there aren't too many in Az., but snakes would freak me right into the outer limits. If I ever saw one in my toidy, he could have it - we have grass - that's where I'd relocate to.:jaw:

HAHA! That kills me. I would probably do the same thing.

AHOTE
03-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Last year we saw a 4' :gator: in the lake at Coronodo Springs, a 6' :gator:swimming in one of the lagoons at Animal Kingdom near Expedition Everest and a 2' :gator: sunning along the waterway in Saratoga Springs. You'd have to try pretty hard to get close to one. There were quite a few people watching them and no one seemed alarmed. We also had a snake come out from between the "rocks" near the top of one of the tube flumes at Blizzard Beach. It became even more interesting than the gator sighting.:thumbsup:

Dakota Rose
03-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by BigRedDad

When I was a kid we lived in CA and there was, at one time, a problem with rats doing just this. Whenever home alone, we'd close the lids and stack heavy books on 'em. Not gator or snake related but still funny....

ncscgirl2005
03-07-2008, 11:48 PM
That being said....If I ever saw a snake anywhere in WDW, that would be it for me. I'd probably never go back again. I'm pretified of them. I cant' even watch them on TV.

Same here. I am so terrified of snakes. I can't look at them on TV or in books or magazines. I will throw a book across the room if I see one. My heart beats really fast and I get shaky. :ack: Seeing a gator wouldn't bother me at all (unless it starts chasing me).

Last time we were at TL and somebody yelled out snake. Some people ran towards the snake and I ran the other way. No thank you!!!!!!!!

ncscgirl2005
03-07-2008, 11:50 PM
I don't know about y'all but there has got to be something other than squirrels, bunnies, and ducks at POR. Luckily that's all we saw but I don't doubt one bit that something else is lurking around there. LOL! There's way too many bushes for my liking.

Quasimodo
03-08-2008, 11:41 AM
As I mentioned before, I have seen a gator and a snake. Plenty of rabbits, deer, frogs, and turtles. But has any notice the ENORMOUS number of lizards in the spring and summer. They seem to be everywhere! We've even had lizards get in our room.

NJ Camper
03-08-2008, 12:02 PM
Still haven't seen snakes or gators seen the rabbits ,frogs, fish,turtle,ducks,deer ,armdillos and of course lots of dogs
What about bears do they ever see any in disney?????

Polynesian Dweller
03-08-2008, 12:26 PM
We've also seen turkey's, and you can often see deer from the monorail as it goes past the lake that's on the left opposite the MK parking lot going toward Epcot. Rabbits and lizards are all over the place. We have seen the gator in the Rivers of America but not near the Poly so far. Wouldn't surprise me that they are in the Seven Seas Lagoon, it is Florida.

Quasimodo
03-08-2008, 07:25 PM
What about bears do they ever see any in disney?????

I've seen bears. Over in Frontierland, near Pecos Bills.

šošalyssaluvsmickeyšoš
03-09-2008, 10:36 AM

You forgot armadillos

lockedoutlogic
03-09-2008, 11:19 AM

You forgot armadillos

I'm not sure about the wolves....

but the coolest thing that is occasionally seen on WDW property is probably the Bobcat.....they are awesome animals and they occasionally dart in and out of the brush around the fort wilderness area

gators are of course cool as well...actually one of the best places to see them is at night in the lake at celebration....i don't know if they've moved any...but there used to be tons of eyes on the water at night

there are literally thousands of snakes all over walt disney world property...they are an important part of the swamp ecosystem and do alot for population control of smaller reptiles, lizards, and rodents.....

Typhoon...Blizzard are notorious spotting sights for these...port orleans/old key west/ saratoga...all the golf courses....and caribbean beach also are "groundsculpted" well to provide nice hang outs for the slithers....

Dakota Rose
03-09-2008, 05:52 PM
I've seen bears. Over in Frontierland, near Pecos Bills.

Oh those bears are quite something to behold, too.

GINNY69
03-09-2008, 06:08 PM
We were on the Disney bus heading back to our resort and we seen a family of deer on the side of the road. I never seen a snake though I would friek out if I did as far as a alligator goes no I never seen one. I would like to see an alligator in disney I think that would be cool. I would never approach it but I would love to see one just in its natural habitat.