PDA

View Full Version : Buffet vs Table Dinners for wait time

Disney1977
02-29-2008, 07:14 PM
O.K. - It's my husband's idea to eat at buffets while we are at the parks because he thinks they are faster than sit down restaurant dinners.

Do you agree? Are buffets faster than traditional sit down restaurants inside the parks?

We are traveling with 3 boys ages 3, 6, 10 and he thinks sit down restaurant meals will be to much of a wait.

Thank you for your experiences.

(He wants the dinning plan & I do not)

Kidsmom
02-29-2008, 07:57 PM
I do think the buffets are faster than sit-downs. I don't like them for this reason.

During the buffets we are up-and-down so many times, working hard getting the kids all that they want and feeling we need to leave once we are done...quickly. Sometimes I feel like my husband and I never see each other at the table as one of us is at the buffet with someone or getting our own food.

TS -- I feel we get to relax, including the kids. We get to talk as a family and sometimes we let them bring their DS's (video games) so that Mom and Dad get to talk. It is a more relaxed pace.

If the object is to get through the meal or Characters are super important....then do buffets. But I would suggest sprinking a few TS into the plan...just my two cents.

Have a fun trip!

#1donaldfan
02-29-2008, 08:12 PM
Why not think of breaking them up some...your going to be tired from the parks and running about.....it's nice to sit for an hour or so and let someone wait on you !!!!!!!!!!!!:mickey:

ltam16
02-29-2008, 08:26 PM
I like the buffets because I have very picky eaters and we find that there is something for everyone. But it is frustrating with the kids and getting everyone settled with food. I think the buffets are quicker too.

eeyore27
02-29-2008, 08:36 PM
We have gone the past two years with two young boys, 2 & 3, and enjoy both buffets and sit down restaurants. You will take a little longer at a sit down place but it is much more relaxing after a day in the parks.

But if you are only going to do buffets, then the dining plan will probably not be very cost effective for your family.

Either way you go just enjoy the time you are spending as a family.

JPL
02-29-2008, 08:54 PM
What I think is faster with buffets is you control when you get your food. I do like to relax when I eat but at times the service at a sit down meal can be painfully slow. I remember on a few occaision ordering food and having it come 30 minutes later because they were busy at that time.

Jared
02-29-2008, 09:10 PM
I recommend booking a mix of table service restaurants, trying both buffets and traditional sit-down meals. Buffets generally are faster because the food is already prepared, and you don't have to wait, but you may want a leisurely meal after a long day in the parks. Sometimes, after walking around for hours, it's nice to have someone serve you instead of constantly getting up and waiting on a buffet line.

Strmchsr
02-29-2008, 09:15 PM
I agree with Eeyore27 that if you do a lot of buffets you're better off going without the DDP. With the changes for 2008 I hardly think the DDP is cost-effective as it is, but with several buffets you're MUCH better off paying OOP.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-01-2008, 04:43 PM
I think the buffets are quicker but almost too much so. You don't really take time to enjoy the meal because you are in the mind set that you need to eat and get somewhere else as fast as possible. On the plus side, you can always find something you like to eat at the buffets.
But if you have to wait for someone to bring you the meal you actually have time to relax a little and not get indigestion. I
f you are going to do mostly buffets, I agree that the Dining plan probably won't be the most cost effective way to go.

sleepingbooty
03-01-2008, 05:56 PM
I disagree that you won't get your money's worth using the dining plan for buffets. The buffets are not cheap. Chef Mickey's, for example is $28. Compare that to dinner at, lets say, Kona Cafe, where I usually get the Asian Noodle dish with shrimp - about $18. Add in a $6 dessert and you're at $24. Remember, they don't give you the app any more on the DP. At least at the buffet you can have your three courses if you want. And personally, I do like the time savings over a sit down with the kids. The last two times we went to Sci Fi, we were there over two hours!

wendy*darling
03-01-2008, 06:22 PM
We always liked buffets because the kids could always get whatever they wanted- and as much of it as they wanted. My youngest DS (now almost 18) still gets a full plate of bacon and sausage for breakfast! ;)
It also allowed them to try new foods. Sometimes they would find a new favorite, but if not then they did not get stuck with something they did not like as their whole meal.

Buffets are more relaxing now that we are all older.
When they were little and needed help at the serving tables (as yours do) it can be a rushed and almost aerobic experience! As one poster said- you and your DH may never see each other during the whole meal!

I would agree with everyone who said to mix it up a bit. Do a little of each. You will find you might enjoy the down time at a traditional restaurant on some days.