PDA

View Full Version : My husband is very crabby about POP. He's a deluxe man! Help!

mouseketeer mom
02-28-2008, 05:41 PM
Ok..we're adding a few days on before our April trip. The 3 nights we are adding gives us very limited choices. POP is one of the choices we have, if we get 2 rooms. My kids are overjoyed. On one of our Magical express routes in November, we pulled up to the POP and my kids LOVED what they saw. My husband things it looks just awful. Me? Well, I'm up for anything, how bad can it be?, Right? Its only for 3 nights, and then we move on to a deluxe...My husband says he'd rather do the 3 nights at the boardwalk for roughly 170.00 more per night, since the BW is available. (remember we need 2 rooms at POP) Gotta make a decision quick! How bad can POP be, right???? What do you all think?

caryrae
02-28-2008, 05:45 PM
I think you will find most people here love POP but I quess if you can swing a deluxe and your husband wants to I would go deluxe. I had no problems with POP when we were there, we were there at slow season so maybe that's why.

BigRedDad
02-28-2008, 06:10 PM
You've only stayed at deluxes. I would bet he will be miserable at POP. If already has a bad attitude about it, it will make for a miserable 3 days.

Birnbaum has notin on me
02-28-2008, 06:14 PM
ur husband is right

mouseketeer mom
02-28-2008, 06:18 PM
WOW! I expected everyone to come back with reassuring words for me! Yikes! I appreciate everyones honesty. Why is my husband right? Is POP that bad?

WDW1985
02-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Just what is it that your husband didn't like about it? My brother just stayed there, with his kids, for a week and liked it a lot. I also have a friend who's family has stayed there and liked it as well. They normally stay at POR, so that's one comparison to look at. At the end of any given week remember that you spend very little time at your resort - on average that is. Of course you don't want to have a crabby husband :mad:, but if HE WANTS TO PAY MORE than I say let him be happy!!!!:D He can be REALLY HAPPY at the Polynesian. Why do I sense some major irony going on here???

Have a great vacation!

wdw1985
:mickey:

bouncer
02-28-2008, 07:12 PM
I say keep DH happy. Keeping everyone happy can be difficult enough let alone getting the trip off on the wrong foot. If he already has his mind made up I wouldn't try to change it---:angry:it may backfire terribly.

Wrigley
02-28-2008, 07:12 PM
I also had fears about staying at a value resort because we had never stayed at one before. We stayed at POP two years ago and we actually enjoyed it. It will be an adjustment to the deluxe, but it is a fun place to stay. Since it is only 3 nights, I would think he'd be able to tolerate it!:mickey::mickey:

MauiMouse
02-28-2008, 07:15 PM
I've stayed at Pop twice and I've also stayed at moderates and deluxes. Yes, the deluxes are nice and you get a larger room, but I'm not really in the room for that much, only a place to lay my head at night. Pop has those large icons and for some people it just makes it not very appealing. It really doesn't bother me and I look past that. I'll be back at Pop this year twice and maybe three times. It's not a bad resort. The buses are good, never really had to wait long for a bus. The food court was adequate for what I needed.

andreallybadeggs
02-28-2008, 07:16 PM
Nice problem:mickey:
If $ is no object, knock yourselves out. I'd never turn down a stay at a deluxe. But we have stayed at deluxes, mods, and values and do not have anything bad to say about the POP.
We thought it was fun and a good value for the $. Service was excellent when we were there and we also liked the food court. In your shoes, I certainly would not mind that split stay especially if we started at POP and then moved on up to a deluxe.

SBETigg
02-28-2008, 07:16 PM
If your kids are excited about POP, then the husband should probably just try to go along. But I have to say that I am on his side- the Boardwalk would be the only way to go for us.

Lessie
02-28-2008, 07:17 PM
I’m in a similar situation and based on what you've said, I think that you will be happier at a Deluxe.

When my husband and I go to WDW we usually go deluxe. It's more my husbands style and it makes him happier for the entire trip (which makes it worth it to me!) However, when I take my mom every year for our annual Christmas shopping trip to Orlando, we usually stay Moderate or Value, as we always have during my childhood. But the more I stay at the deluxe resorts, the harder it is for me to go back to the moderates… and its almost impossible for me to go back to the values. We stayed at Pop this past December, and while there was nothing wrong with Pop, we will be staying at the Poly on our trip this year. After our recent deluxe resort trips, I really just can’t go back. If you can afford it, you’ll definitely be happier at a deluxe. But of course, any Disney trip is better than no Disney trip! :mickey:

ltam16
02-28-2008, 07:17 PM
We liked Pop. My kids loved the pools and loved seeing thigs from the olden days, as they put it. They loved the food court and so did my dh. The buses were great.

But, if its gonna make your dh crabby, is it worth it?

I don't mind the values because we are not in the room/hotel much. I can't see spending for the deluxe when we aren't there. So if you spend a lot of time at the hotel then dh might have a point.

heidi614
02-28-2008, 07:19 PM
I've heard nothing but good things about the Pop. We just stayed at ASM. We love it there. We've stayed CB and didn't care for it. Too Big for us. The only thing different between ASM and CB was: maybe 5 feet bigger, refrdge, a little bigger food court and one sit down restaraunt.
Pool, Clean Rooms and nice food court.That what matters to us.

:mickey::mickey:

stitch34
02-28-2008, 07:40 PM
We've stayed at POP a couple times and had no complaints. I would think for three nights it would be ok and your kids are excited to try it. However I agree with an early poster that if he goes into with his mind set and he is very used to a deluxe he may not have a good time. So if money is no object go for the deluxe.

Kerry823
02-28-2008, 07:44 PM
If your kids are excited about staying there than what is the harm. In families, everyone needs to compromise. So stay the 3 days at POP for your kids and end the vacation at a Deluxe for your husband.

Each person's experience is different, but personally, I would rather spend my time and money in the parks than spending it on accommodations that I only need to sleep and shower in. So my money is better spent on a value or moderate.

Flower
02-28-2008, 07:44 PM
If you can afford a deluxe - do it, if you can do a moderate - do it.

We have stayed at POP several times, there is nothing wrong with the rooms, nor is there anything wrong with the service - I have BIG issues with the 'food court', I just find it extremely busy and completely insane.

Another difference is with the pools, mods and up all have water slides & hot tubs - values do not. Mods and up also offer main pools and 'quiet pools', there is nothing quiet about the value pools.

We split our last stay between POP & POR, it was so peaceful at Port Orleans compared to POP, I really missed our past moderate trips.

Again, if you can afford to upgrade, go for it.

BrerGnat
02-28-2008, 08:00 PM
I appreciate everyones honesty. Why is my husband right? Is POP that bad?

Yes, it is when you're spoiled by deluxes, particularly CONCIERGE deluxe.

If he has no problem adding on at Boardwalk, why would you NOT? Take the kids over to Pop one day (go from a theme park on the bus...then they will appreciate NOT being there, and dealing with the crowded buses, lines everywhere, etc.) Sure, it's colorful, but that's about the only positive thing I can say about it. For me, the very atmosphere is a migraine waiting to happen...

I won't stay there again. If that's all I can afford, I'll just wait longer until I can afford better.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree with your DH completely!

wendy*darling
02-28-2008, 08:00 PM
Why is my husband right? Is POP that bad?

Well, he is only right because it sounds like he's already formed his decision, and he'll make everyone miserable if he doesn't get his way. ;)

POP is actually quite nice! :thumbsup:
We typically stay in deluxe resorts, and we are DVC members- so we are accustomed to larger quarters and Disney's best.
That said- I stayed at POP once (so far) and my DH and DS stayed once (so far). All of us were very pleased and would not hesitate to stay there again.

We typically do DVC on Sun-Thurs nights and add the weekend nights at a value or moderate. Pop is perfect!

I enjoy the large, nostalgic icons. But they are just outside- not in your rooms. The rooms are clean and comfy. And if you have 2- you'll enjoy having 2 bathrooms too!

The food court was very good. I ate breakfast there each day, but that's all. And when I stay at deluxes- that's about all we do there as well. We dine in the parks.
I spent most of my time at the parks, but did spend one morning walking throughout the whole resort taking pictures and soaking up the atmosphere. It was quiet and peaceful. I really like it. No, it's not "better" than a deluxe, but it is certainly a great place to stay while at Disney World.

But you have to do what you have to do- either make DH happy or the kids happy. Whatever gives everyone the most peace. :mickey:

snerd475
02-28-2008, 09:42 PM
To me, a big part of my Disney vacations are being at a Disney hotel where I want to be. I have only stayed at mods and deluxes, but if I had the means, I'd always stay at deluxes.

I was on the phone a couple years ago with a WDW reservation CW and I already had POP booked, and I changed my mind to a mod as I was talking to her. I had heard too many stories of the loudness and crowds at the values. Plus, POP is very garish for your average pseud.

I'm with your hubby on this one, although he sounds a little spoiled. Compromise is part of a healthy marriage, after all.

garthbarth1
02-28-2008, 10:06 PM
If your husband will be miserable at POP, then go ahead and stay at the Boradwalk. Your kids will get enjoyment from the parks, and he will get some enjoyment from his hotel. My husband and I are the same way...we always stay at the Deluxe resorts. One year we went with my brother and his wife and little girl and we stayed at All Star Movies because they were on a tight budget and it was my worst nightmare! TONS of people, long waits for the bus, crowded dining hall with mediocre food-the pizza was terrible! It was not our style at all! Then again, I am easily traumatized by a 3 or 4 star hotel, so I might not be the the best judge!!:princess: I am sure you can all find a compromise!

diz_girl
02-29-2008, 01:28 PM
I just find it amusing that you want to talk your husband out of a Deluxe. Most people are trying to talk their spouse into a Deluxe.

As for someone who has only ever stayed at a Deluxe (including before there was anything else other than camping - which my mother was set against), I'd go with your DH. The Boardwalk is fun enough for the kids, but relaxing enough for you and DH. I'm sure Pop is just fine, but if you insisted on staying there would you want to hear him whining for three days? I think not.

Have a great time wherever you stay.

Nascfan
02-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Well, let me just say that your husband is not right, Pop is NOT bad. There is not a "bad" resort on Disney property, it's all Disney and held to the highest standards in the industry. The busses are not any more crowded than any other bus for any other resort at opening or closing time. We've gone back and forth from Pop in the middle of the day for a rest and had virtually empty busses. The theming is awesome. The food court has decent food. The kids would love it, and you most likely would be fine with it too.

That being said, if he's right in HIS mind, he will have a miserable time and Pop WILL be "that bad", to him. It's all in the mindset. If you've got your mind set that only a deluxe is good enough for you, then only a deluxe will be good enough for you.

And that's the bottom line.

Taja
02-29-2008, 01:50 PM
My thought would be to tell your DH to act like an adult and do something to please the children! It's only three days!

On the other hand, I am not married to him and do not have to live with him when he is miserable. You and your children do! And you know him best! :)

PirateLover
02-29-2008, 01:59 PM
I'm going to go against the grain and say that I think that, for 3 days, your hubby can **** it up and stay at POP if the kids really want to. They are only young once, and it's only 3 days. The majority of your vacation will be spent at a deluxe. Life is all about compromises. If your husband wants to be a baby the 3 days you are at POP, leave him alone in the room while you wander the grounds with your children and enjoy the smiles on their faces. POP is not terrible, in fact I enjoy it immensely (and my favorite resort is the Poly!)
We had a lot of fun taking pictures with Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head, Roger Rabbit, playing Twister, drinking Blue Icees in our refillable mugs etc etc and we are in our 20s!

caryrae
02-29-2008, 02:02 PM
My thought would be to tell your DH to act like and adult and do something to please the children! It's only three days!

On the other hand, I am not married to him and do not have to live with him when he is miserable. You and your children do! And you know him best! :)

That's true too. Sometimes you should put your kids feelings ahead of your own. Like many said it is only 3 days and it's not like you are going from a Deluxe to POP. It wouldn't kill him to give it POP a try, he may like it.

Plus if it is still true POP has it's own bus, so you don't have to make several stops to and from the parks.

scootch713
02-29-2008, 02:04 PM
I have never stayed at POP before, but having only stayed at deluxes, when we had to move down to POFQ for two nights, it was disappointing... but not totally unbearable. I don't know going clear to value. Some people are more tolerable than others. Most would be happy to just be there..... but many, like my husband who hates disney world.... are not as tolerable. If it is a big point with him, I would go along with him. The kids are going to have fun no matter where they are at. I leave my husband home.. so I am a hard one to ask. He goes to the beach vacation each year and is a great dad the other 359 days a year... but he does not like disney and since he teaches and we could only go during peak season or summer.... i take the girls out of school and go without him. Sorry, siding with him on this one.

crazeedizneefinatic
02-29-2008, 02:49 PM
I have stayed at POP and never had a problem, my son loved the theming. If your husband has it in his mind that values are unacceptable than don't push the issue. We have stayed moderate too and can honestly say there is a difference. I am the opposite, I cannot imagine spending a ton of money on a deluxe and probably never would unless we had a ton of disposable money and did not care. I say if your husband is willing and able to pay for the deluxe why argue, unless the kids are upset. A man willing to spend money? Doesn't happen at my house, LOL!

wedway76
02-29-2008, 03:30 PM
We love the Pop. Yes it will be more crowded at bus stops and at the food court. Yes the room will be smaller, but it is actually a pretty nice place.

You had said that your kids liked what they saw of the Pop, so stay there for them. I don’t know how old your kids are, but if they are young I would DEFINITELY stay at a Value with them at least once, and this would be a perfect opportunity.

Unfortunately because of your husband’s attitude, the resort has two strikes against it in his mind already, but if he keeps an open mind he may just like it.

Young@Heart
02-29-2008, 04:19 PM
Your husband very well might have a miserable time. Not b/c POP is "bad" in any way. But if he's made up his mind, and tends to be a pessimist, then I doubt he'll find much he likes about POP.

I used to be a "resort snob" and had only ever stayed at POFQ before 2006. After 2 years of our DC BEGGING to try POP, we (I:blush:) gave in. I had always looked at the people walking down to the value bus lines and thought "Oh, it's too bad they can only afford to stay at a value". And in my defense, I have to say I don't think the vacation DVD's are AT ALL flattering to the values.

Well, after booking our stay at POP, I decided to do some net research. I found lots of great, FLATTERING photos and tons of wonderful reviews. POP has so many little hidden gems about it! My mind started to change, and I began looking forward to our arrival. By the time we got there, I was so excited to be staying at POP! I loved every minute of our time at our hotel. :cloud9:

This year, we spent extra for 2 rooms at POP over staying at a moderate. I figure, our vacations right now are just as much for our DC, and since they overwhelmingly still vote for POP, that's where we go. :thumbsup: Honestly, I'm in full agreement with them, and so is DH. I'm sure when it's just the 2 of us, we'll choose something a little more "subdued', but for now, we all party at POP!!!

I think if your husband is open-minded, he could find lots he'd enjoy there. :mickey:

Seasonscraps
02-29-2008, 06:05 PM
If you can swing it financially, I would go for the deluxe or maybe split the difference and try one of the moderates.

We are DVC so we generally use points & stay at the deluxes but will add on a night or two and stay at POR and there's a difference. It's not big, but it's there.

If your DH already prefers the deluxes and is digging his heel in about not staying at POP then I wouldn't fight it. Enjoy the Boardwalk! The kids will have fun wherever - they are in Disney. :mickey: