PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Brainstorm!

jeddalynn
02-28-2008, 05:36 PM
(I hope this is the right forum for this thread! It may need to be moved!)

I'm using the dining plan at Disney World in May. I know alcoholic drinks aren't covered and that they're also (naturally) quite pricey. But I'd like to have some drinks without worry of breaking the bank, so I thought I'd come up with a creative plan to set aside some money over the next several weeks to use for that purpose. Something a kin to the "your spare change at the end of the day in jar" idea. Problem is I rarely have change on me (I do everything with a debit card.)

Does anyone have a creative way of setting aside money in the way that I'm talking about?

:marg: Kungaloosh! :mickey:

Magic Smiles
02-28-2008, 05:56 PM
If you are lucky enough to get a tax refund this year, maybe that could be used? In our change piggy, I also include any lottery winnings.

Checkers
02-28-2008, 06:09 PM
:mickey:Depending on how often you get paid, you could pick up some "Disney Dollars" on each pay day, or if you have a birthday coming up, you could request Disney gift cards.

If you have an AP, you could purchase a DDE card which would give you 20% off your alcoholic beverages if you eat at the restaurants that accept it.

HairyBear
02-28-2008, 08:22 PM
I think some banks have a program that rounds up debit purchases to the next highest dollar amount and puts the 'change' in an account. I think Bank of America and Wachovia do this. Personally you can do much the same thing by getting a reward credit card that either gives you cash back usually 1% of all purchases or other reward credits airline miles, points to buy items but the best is the Chase Disney card. They give you 1% in Disney reward dollars. All you have to do is pay your bill in full every month and at the end of the year you request a reward card. This card can be spent at a lot of places and in particular at Disney to make ticket or any other purchases there. On top of that you get to pick a cool Disney themed credit card and get other benefits as well.

Magic Smiles
02-28-2008, 09:49 PM
I think some banks have a program that rounds up debit purchases to the next highest dollar amount and puts the 'change' in an account. I think Bank of America and Wachovia do this. Personally you can do much the same thing by getting a reward credit card that either gives you cash back usually 1% of all purchases or other reward credits airline miles, points to buy items but the best is the Chase Disney card. They give you 1% in Disney reward dollars. All you have to do is pay your bill in full every month and at the end of the year you request a reward card. This card can be spent at a lot of places and in particular at Disney to make ticket or any other purchases there. On top of that you get to pick a cool Disney themed credit card and get other benefits as well.

They are in Canada and we cannot apply for a Chase Disney card. Being in Canada myself I would also like to know if any of our banks round up purchases to be deposited into a 'savings' account.

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-29-2008, 12:17 AM
If you deposit your checks...I'd keep a certain amount out and put it into an envelope.

dmosher
02-29-2008, 04:20 AM
I am originally form NY and we swear up there like sailors. THough I am trying to be much better at this (now that I live in New Zealand), I use to make a swear jar as soon as I knew I was heading to WDW. Every time I dropped a bomb on purpose or accidentally, I would put a dollar or whatever change I had on me at the time in the jar. I would actually stipulate that I HAD to put $1 bill or all of the change I had on me into the jar every time. Once after a problem with a larger bill and a clerk with only coins for change I closed my hand in a drawer and had to drop $14 in the jar. Painful in many ways, ... but that went to good use when I used it to buy a Congaloosh at the Adventurers' Club. Ahhh, definitely worth the suffering.
:pipes:
D

Taja
02-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Use a "Pay Yourself First" approach.

Just as you set aside funds for savings, do the same for your holiday fund. Each pay day, either get cash or transfer a specified amount into another account. Keep the cash in whatever container you like, as long as it isn't in your wallet! *LOL*

wedway fan
02-29-2008, 05:31 PM
if you're not a coin kind of person, maybe foldable change can be put aside...

whenever possible, pay with larger denominations instead of exact change. then, you'll wind up with a bunch of extra singles that you can put aside at the end of the day or week.

i do this to save a bunch of singles for "recreational" poker games!;)