PDA

View Full Version : Airline question?

mmwonka
02-28-2008, 09:17 AM
Please don't laugh because the answer to this question is probably obvious :blush:. I was just looking over the flights my sister booked for us for our October trip and under class there is a T for one way and an R for the other way. I don't fly often and was just curious what the T and R stand for? Thanks in advance for your replies.

chick20679
02-28-2008, 09:28 AM
It's simply airline code for what "fare class" you purchased. It's a airline pricing thing, having to do with how much you paid for your ticket.
Hope that helps. :mickey:

mmwonka
02-28-2008, 09:36 AM
It definately helps, thanks so much.

tinklover
02-28-2008, 10:07 AM
LOL I am glad you could help because I was thinking T was To Disney and R was Return from Disney :silly::funny::rotfl:

BigRedDad
02-28-2008, 03:04 PM
It is also used to determine who gets bumped from overbooked flights if there are no volunteers. They will look at those codes and force-bump the people with the lowest fare. It has happened on flights I have been on. People get very upset, but it is typical airline policy. Fortunately, this does not happen too often because airlines offer incredible incentives to people that volunteer to bump. I have been on flights that offer $400 + free meals and drinks per person.

wkanack
03-01-2008, 05:04 AM
Sorry, but the class of service "the fare basis" doesn't determine a bumping order. Most airlines will work hard to get volunteers but if none are available the industry standard and approved pecking order is based upon last checked in, is first to be involuntarily denied boarding. At this point the compensation is entirely up to the airline and you can really get screwed over.

Bill

brad192
03-03-2008, 12:14 PM
A handy little item to have with you just in case you do get bumped from your flight is a copy of your airline's version of Rule 240. A lot of travellers don't know about this.:secret:

In the good old days, before deregulation of the airlines, there was a whole list of rights & responsibilities for the airlines and their passengers. Rule (actually paragraph) 240 stated that (I'm paraphrasing & simplifying here), if for any reason except "Acts of God" you were delayed or your flight cancelled, the airline had to find you alternate flights either on its own planes, or with another airline.

Today, most ailines still abide by this rule, although some have modified it slightly. It's a good idea to check with your airline & get a copy of their service contract.

I used this rule last December when my flight from Luxembourg to Amsteredam was delayed, and would have made me miss my connection there. They graciously booked me on another airline, and I arrived home only 2 hours later than my original flight. The only downside was that I didn't get all those frequent flyer miles!:confused:

chick20679
03-07-2008, 08:02 AM
A handy little item to have with you just in case you do get bumped from your flight is a copy of your airline's version of Rule 240. A lot of travellers don't know about this.:secret:
In the good old days, before deregulation of the airlines, there was a whole list of rights & responsibilities for the airlines and their passengers. Rule (actually paragraph) 240 stated that (I'm paraphrasing & simplifying here), if for any reason except "Acts of God" you were delayed or your flight cancelled, the airline had to find you alternate flights either on its own planes, or with another airline.
Today, most ailines still abide by this rule, although some have modified it slightly. It's a good idea to check with your airline & get a copy of their service contract.
I used this rule last December when my flight from Luxembourg to Amsteredam was delayed, and would have made me miss my connection there. They graciously booked me on another airline, and I arrived home only 2 hours later than my original flight. The only downside was that I didn't get all those frequent flyer miles!:confused:

Keep two things in mind with "Rule 240":
Not all airlines particpate - JetBlue, Southwest & AirTran don't have a "Rule 240" and most of these "discount" carriers don't have any sort of agreement with other airlines.

And, "Rule 240" deals with the obligations that an airline has to a passenger when his/her flights cancel or delay, or connecting flights are missed due to the actions of the airline.
It does not include flight delays or cancellations that result from inclement weather or other factors that are outside of an airline's control. "Act of God" doesn't have to be a tornado or flood, just an inch of snow in Boston or a summer thunderstorm in Atlanta. :vacation: