PDA

View Full Version : Disney Dining Plan Question

TanyaB
02-27-2008, 02:16 PM
I just booked my trip for July on Monday and I couldn't be more excited! We're staying at the WL- Woodsview room!

We got the Disney Dining Plan and a friend of mine who goes several times a year and has a DVC membership says that the Disney Dining plan gives you a special menu when you go into each restaurant that's quite restrictive.

From the literature that I've read, that doesn't sound right...from what I understand, you can order anything off the menu as long as the restaurant is participating in the Dining Plan.

Can someone please clarify?

Tygger7
02-27-2008, 02:19 PM
I've never heard anything about, or received a "restrictive" menu. Most of the time, they didn't know we were on the dining plan until after we had our menus. As long as the restaurant is on the DDP, anything on the menu is fair game. However, with the DDP changes this year, if you want an appetizer you have to pay OOP.

You'll love WL, and the woods view. We're heading down in May and can't wait!!!

Johnno52
02-27-2008, 03:00 PM
I believe the menus are the same! We did OOP this month and didn't notice any change in Spoodles menu when we did DDP in Nov.When an item is not available on the DDP they tell you right away. They have cut back on items which does limit your choices!:(

Natazu
02-28-2008, 02:43 AM
The menu is the same. There used to be a couple of restrictions at some restaurants but not anymore.

DizneyRox
02-28-2008, 07:38 AM
It's 1/2 true, 1/2 false...

EVERYONE has a more restrictive menu now. WIth the advent of the DDP Disney is trying to optimize profits. The menus have been tweaked significantly over the years to create standard low cost meals/high profit that EVERYONE now must order from.

So, no you don't get a restricted menu if you are on the DDP vs someone who is not, however the menu has been restricted compared to pre DDP days.

gardenia
02-28-2008, 08:45 AM
...Most of the time, they didn't know we were on the dining plan until after we had our menus...

This can't happen any more! They will ask if you're on the dining plan when you make an ADR, they will ask when you check in at the podium, and they'll ask when you are seated! It drives me crazy, because we never use DDP, but we have to answer the question "Are you on the dining plan?" about a million times now every trip.

Johnno52
02-28-2008, 01:55 PM
Yes I agree with you gardenia! It should only make a difference to the server when ordering and thats only to ensure that there are no misunderstands. OOP diners know they can order whatever they want and have to pay for all of it! It does get annoying! Are they trying to ensure that DDP diners are equally spread out amongst the servers? I'm surprised that the staff at the Whispering Canyon haven't made it part of their act when one comes in, or have they?