PDA

View Full Version : The Other Side of Pop

MickeyChick
02-27-2008, 01:13 PM
In a WDW community on Livejournal today, someone posted a picture from Pop: The Legendary Years. It looks like the main lobby area with the decades out front and everything.

Has anyone heard anything about what Disney plans to do with this? Is it ever going to be finished? Cause right now it's not so much Pop "Century" as Pop "the last 5 decades."

Have the buildings sat for too long to even be viable? Wouldn't the other side of the resort help with the crowds at Classic Years?

It's just so sad and creepy.

BigRedDad
02-27-2008, 02:03 PM
It is expensive property and I am sure they will not leave it sit there for too long. My guess is they will create another DVC resort after the Contemporary DVC is done.

caryrae
02-27-2008, 03:19 PM
This is what Wikipedia says.

"Phase II (Legendary Years)
The second phase of construction for the resort is the Legendary Years - 1900-1940. This part of the resort resides across the Hourglass Lake, and is connected by the Generation Gap Bridge. Its construction was halted after 9/11 due to the reduction in tourism. As of Summer 2006, the "Legendary Hall" building and a few of the units have been constructed but are not finished. The buildings can be seen on the right hand side of the entrance to Pop Century.

Initially the completed resort was to have an additional 2,880 rooms on the "Legendary" side, configured identically to the "Classic" side. However, as of April 10, 2006, the MousePlanet website has confirmed that these rooms will instead be configured as family suites, identical to those now available at Disney's All-Star Music Resort, with a separate master bedroom, two bathrooms and a kitchenette. In Summer 2007, some "hammering" noises could be heard and various Disney security vehicles could be spotted on the Legendary Years Lot, although there is no physical evidence that continuing construction is going on.

A few of the pop icons to represent these decades have already been revealed by the shape of the swimming pools in the design plans. The pool in the 1940s section is to be shaped like a highway sign, suggesting a "Route 66" motif. The pool in the 1930s will resemble a soda bottle, and the 1910s pool forms the outline of a Monopoly game board."

BronxTigger
02-27-2008, 05:59 PM
The pool in the 1940s section is to be shaped like a highway sign, suggesting a "Route 66" motif. The pool in the 1930s will resemble a soda bottle, and the 1910s pool forms the outline of a Monopoly game board."

So the 1910's pool will simply be a square?

That is interesting information. Thank you. I'm curious to see what really does happen, and when.

RRabbitfan
02-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Ahhh the legend years, WDW little dark secret. lol.
When I was there in November most the CM wouldn't talk about it. I did talk to one and they had no idea what was to happen with it. Once in a while she said WDI would be out there on their ATVs.
But as for when I was there at the beginig of November there was no signs of lfe or that anything was going on out there (plants over grown, dirt undesterbed) it's just scarry to look at.:eek:

jszczur5
02-28-2008, 12:31 AM
So the 1910's pool will simply be a square?

Why not? That's all that the computer pool is.
The first time we stayed at POP, my kids were disappointed that they we weren't situated close to the "flower pool" or the bowling pin pool.

MickeyChick
02-28-2008, 09:41 AM
It would make me so happy to see this project completed. I loved Pop but I think the years left to be finished would be even more fun. I'd love to see a giant Steamboat Willie over there to go with the Mickey phone.

I find myself thinking a lot about the possibilities.

JerseyDad
02-28-2008, 12:19 PM
....I somewhat agree that the completion would certainly take a bit of the crunch off of the demand for the Classic Years side of POP....but I would really love to get an idea of the cost/night for the family suite option?

...additionally I doubt that the Legendary Years side would be 100% family suites. It's just not good economic sense to do so. With perhaps a 75:25 mix of suites to non-suites....POP would probably be able to continue full occupancy at all times. And full occupancy...with a waiting list...is what every hotel wants.

Tekneek
02-29-2008, 11:09 AM
I was under the impression that most hotels don't want full occupancy, but rather somewhere just under that for peak efficiency. I'm short on details, so I will have to look that up.

MickeyChick
03-03-2008, 08:07 AM
Family suites would be great, but I agree that there's no way Disney would make it 100% suites. I think they're pretty good at trying to be inclusive.
Still, even here on Intercot, I see a lot of larger families that want to put 5 or more in one space.

I just want them to finish it. Isn't there someone I could call and beg?

Von-Drake
03-03-2008, 08:21 AM
POP is quickly becoming one of our common hotels. I would like to see the other side completed. I think the theming would be neat, but on the other hand, POP would probably have to share it's buses with the other side.