PDA

View Full Version : EVC & Busses

TinaT
02-26-2008, 11:07 PM
On our next trip my mother will be renting a ECV for the trip instead of using Disney's ECV. Are the majority of the Disney Transportation Busses able to accomidate ECVs or will we have a long wait for an accessible bus? We have never had a problem using Disney ECVs, but as mom gets older, it is even harder to walk from bus to park entrance.

disneymom15
02-27-2008, 09:51 AM
As far a I know, all the busses a wheelchair capable. I know that sometimes the lifts malfunction and you may have to wait for the next bus. I think that each bus can hold up to 2 scooters or wheelchairs.

MsMin
02-27-2008, 11:24 AM
Both my parents used ECV's last time and it helps so much with mobility issues. I think all buses are equipped but some are better than others. Some kneel and others have a ramp. Do remember that she can't ride on the chair while on the bus. My dad was traveling alone and a driver didn't tell him to get off and the chair flipped:(.
If you are staying at OKW then I am glad you are renting outside b/c it is a lot of walking for our parents from that distance to the bus stop then the risk of not having a chair when you get there. Don't forget to let them know with your ressies-- did you request a ground floor? At BWV we plugged the chairs in the hall every night for charging.

TinaT
02-28-2008, 08:49 AM
Thank you. It really helps knowing we won't have to worry too much about transportation while on Disney property. Now we just have to figure out how to transport the ECVs to Universal and back. Are any of the town car services able to transport 2 ECVs at a time or would be be better off renting a car for that 1 day?

MsMin
02-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Most of these ECV's are scooters and not power chairs. They are very large and heavy. I don't know that you can get it in a car w/o a rack on the back made for the chairs. Wouldn't it be easier to rent them at Universal-- maybe cheaper than renting a car-- and I don't know how you could do it with a car. Never done it -- maybe someone else has more experience with that.

ElenitaB
02-28-2008, 08:48 PM
If you're staying at Old Key West, you may ask for a location closer tothe Hospitality House due the mobility issues one member of your party experiences. Also be sure to note your reservation with a request for a first floor villa for medical reasons. (The former request may be honored or not. Personally, I've never had a problem with it, and have always been in buildings 14 or 26.)

Our favorite location is in buildings 23 through 26, as they're located near the very first internal bus stop: Peninsular Road. It's much easier to board the bus with the ECV and park it without having to worry about running people's toes over. (As a side note: Some drivers will help you; others won't. Some drivers at the parks will totally ignore your existence and leave without you.) Back to OKW, if you miss a bus at Peninsular Road, you can always go over to the very last stop in the resort which is in front of the Hospitality House (even if you see it passing you by in the opposite direction as it still has to go to the Miller's Road stop before going to the Hospitality House stop).