PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

pabef601
02-26-2008, 09:14 AM
We booked a last minute trip to WDW (me DH and DD (10). My husband went to the travel agency yesterday. The only moderate available was Carribean Beach and we had to book everything separate - flight, tickets, room - because when the travel agent pulled up packages, no moderates we available. She called us last night and said the room only had a king bed and that Disney would not put a rollaway in the room because they considered that a room for 2. She said that we could take the room and fudge on how may people were staying, but we did not feel comfortable doing that. Our only other option was a value resort (Pop) or AKL. We took AKL which means we are spending more than we hoped, but I just prefer not to stay at a value. AKL will not put us in a strain really just like to be a little more frugal. What would you have done?

BigRedDad
02-26-2008, 09:34 AM
Cheating the system is not a good thing. I would have looked at what my budget would allow and go from there. If it can accommodate AKL, then go there. If not, then go to POP.

Von-Drake
02-26-2008, 09:43 AM
I would have gone with POP. My wife and I make a decent income, but as much as we would like to stay at a Deluxe, we cannot get over the price for the amount of time we spend in the rooms. Plus taking a value would have allowed a little more spending money for a nicer dinner, more souvenirs, or possibly even an extra day on vacation.

DDuck66
02-26-2008, 10:13 AM
We usually stay at the Pop or The CBR, but occasionally we will splurge and go for a Delux. If you can afford it without breaking the bank, the go for the Deluxe.

SBETigg
02-26-2008, 10:36 AM
I think you made a great choice, exactly what I would have done. You're going to love AKL! Enjoy.

disneymom15
02-26-2008, 10:47 AM
I'd have gone with POP. I really like it and the little time we spend there really suits us. You said you used a travel agent, have you ever tried Magical Journeys? They are great.

Checkers
02-26-2008, 10:53 AM
:mickey:You did just what I would have done and I am sure you will love AKL! Also, Magical Journeys is terrific, you might want to give them a try for future visits, if it's too late for this trip.

Disneyatic
02-26-2008, 11:12 AM
I agree that if your budget allows, AKL is the right choice. I wouldn't be comfortable "fudging" on the room occupancy either.
I like POP and it is fun, but if the budget allows, I say go with the AKL!

baby minnie's mommy
02-26-2008, 02:41 PM
I would go directly to Disney's website to see what they have available. (I've read good things about Magical Journeys, too, but haven't tried them since we don't get packages.)

If you do stay at AKL, it's a wonderful place!!! If you make use of the educational aspect of the AKL it can be a learning opportunity for your DD, too. Maybe that'll help you feel better about spending the money. :) There's a chalkboard around the check-in area that lists activities. Try to make time just to enjoy the resort. It can be a vacation in itself, without having to be at a park all day. They also have a counter service eatery, Mara, if you want to save on meals. Of course, Boma is great to eat at!

WDW1985
02-26-2008, 05:18 PM
I would have gone with POP. My wife and I make a decent income, but as much as we would like to stay at a Deluxe, we cannot get over the price for the amount of time we spend in the rooms. Plus taking a value would have allowed a little more spending money for a nicer dinner, more souvenirs, or possibly even an extra day on vacation.

This is really a great point and one that many of us know is true, but continue to stay at higher priced areas. If you're going to spend a lot of time in the resort than the resort matters (AKL is AWESOME but expensive), but if not the value resorts do a great job of meeting all your needs for much better price.

We actually just came back from a 10 day trip to WDW :cloud9: and spent only $100 day on a incredible vacation home (with 3 bedrooms and 2 full baths) 10 minutes from the parks. We only paid half that cost because we split it with our parents. There are many ways to go. Don't limit your options to just WDW property, but if you choose to go that way give the values a shot. You're still in the world of Disney!!!

Have a wonderful trip and let us know how it turns out.

wdw1985
:mickey:

mrsgaribaldi
02-26-2008, 05:25 PM
(I've read good things about Magical Journeys, too, but haven't tried them since we don't get packages.)

You don't have to get a packge to use Magical Journeys. WE only get a room and we have used them many times. They rock:thumbsup:

pabef601, we've stayed at PoP many times and love it. If I could afford AKL I would stay there too. We don't spend much time in the room so it doesn't really pay to spend more on a deluxe. If I had money to burn, I would stay at AKL in a second.

momof3+twins
02-28-2008, 01:31 PM
I have a ten year old, they are big. So, I wouldn't want to have to share a bed with a kid that size the whole trip. I personally would have went with POP. We spend enough at Disney and are hardly in the room. And the values are a lot of fun. But, on the other hand AKL looks really nice.
I would also take the advice already given and check on your own with dineys site or Magical Journeys. And you can always ask the agent to keep checking to see if there are cancellations.

AllDisney
02-28-2008, 03:40 PM
The only way we've been able to afford the deluxe resorts have been some good specials being offered at the time. We don't spend enough time at the resorts to pay for a deluxe resort. However, AKL is our favorite resort .

We are the type of people that open & close the parks the entire time we are at WDW:mickey. At the end of the day I look forward to going back to my Disney resort....taking a shower...getting a few hours of sleep...then it's back to the parks. The value resorts meet all our needs.

You'll make the right choice. Have fun:thumbsup:

MsMin
02-28-2008, 03:50 PM
I'm frugal so I enjoy Pop too because I'd rather splurge in the park. I do think you'll LOVE AKL and won't regret it- its so beautiful. Don't look back if it's not breaking the bank (budget) then splurge and enjoy!

JerseyDad
02-28-2008, 04:02 PM
...I'd have opted for the stay at POP....and spent the reserve $$ on a few really good meals and "goodies" in the parks. As decent the salaries that I and the wife bring in are....costs are up everywhere these days and I'm always looking to save some $$ and get a little piece of mind regarding finances.

...a sentiment mentioned earlier here...but worth repeating...is also my viewpoint: We're not in the room THAT much...so I'm really just looking for a place to shower and lay my head at the end of the day.

....plus...I'm biased and love POP :)

PetefromRI
02-28-2008, 06:16 PM
I'm a big resort guy so I say you made the right move if it's within the budget.I have stayed at the Pop and loved it but the AKL is so much nicer and it's really only alittle more than a moderate as far as cost goes.Enjoy!!!

andreallybadeggs
02-28-2008, 07:26 PM
For all the reasons already stated I think you could not make a wrong decision re. POP or AKL; just depends on your budget and how you spend your time at WDW. I'm sure you're going to love it at AKL. I do commend you for not taking the "fudging" option; hiding your DD right off the bat would not be a good way to set the tone for a family vacation.
ABSOLUTELY swear by MJ, though, so do consider them next time. They really stay on top of daily changes in availability, rates, etc...
If it can be done, MJ can do it:number1:

LilHooligan74
03-03-2008, 04:01 PM
We have only stayed on site once, but that has been our only true trip to disney as a family. As long as we can afford deluxe that is where we will stay. We seemed to have spent more time at the resort than the parks, well at least my DW and DDs did so Deluxe is the right choice for us.

scootch713
03-03-2008, 04:11 PM
You would not have been able to use extra magic hours with only two on the room. I did complain to disney though, I really think you should be able to put three in a king room. I go alone with my two young daughters and a king room would suit me so much better. They actaully called me last week and said they have had similar complaints, but really didn't think they would change their policy. :mad: