PDA

View Full Version : Planes,trains,automobiles?

tink03
02-26-2008, 08:16 AM
I need some info please...We are undecided about taking the car, riding the train, or just flying. Does anyone know what it is really like to ride the train from Phila. to Florida? I would love your input! Are there too many stops along the way. We had planned on driving but DH is just getting worried about the looong drive home and being tired from our wonderful vaca.Also does Amtrak ever have any specials?

Sept 08 POR
Sept 07 CBR
May 06 POR
June 04 CBR

faline
02-26-2008, 08:29 AM
I've never taken the train but I have driven and I have flown. I prefer flying.

cal5755
02-26-2008, 08:39 AM
I have never taken a train from Philly, we always fly from Philly lol. We looked into it... but then the prices were equal to flying... now it is cheaper by train... we still choose to fly though ! It gets us there faster, and home faster. I have driven before too and I agree with your husband... the ride home seems so long and more exhausting. My vote would be for flying...

just for info we just booked our flights for 212.00 per roundtrip ticket out of Philly. Excellent times as well. Flight duration 2hrs 12 min.

Amtrak is 115.00 per ticket and 21 hour travel time.

Have fun no matter what you decide!!

disneymom15
02-26-2008, 09:34 AM
Don't live in Philly, but took a train from WI to MO. Never again, everytime it seemed like we were getting up to full speed we'd slow down or stop at a depot. I'll always pick a plane over a train.

kdsjjb
02-26-2008, 10:20 AM
Hey tink,

We're from Jersey too, and much prefer flying. We have driven twice, because we tend to go during Jersey week and the airfare can be outrageous. Your husband is dead on. That drive home can be downright painful.

We are seriously considering the A train for this trip. We would drive down, taking an extra day to stop over in Savannah, then at the end of our vacation, we would take the auto train from Sanford to Lorton, VA. It's only about 4 hours drive home from there.

We have priced it out, and it would cost us about $100 more than the gas to drive it, but you get to sit and relax and not worry about traffic or anything.

If ticket prices are anything like last year, we figure that driving down and taking the auto train back will save our family of five about $300 - $400. More money for Disney!

dumbo_buddy
02-26-2008, 01:32 PM
FLY FLY FLY. you'll be there before you know it from Philly.

the train takes forever, driving takes forever and both are not really cheap.

check out deals, save a couple extra bucks here and there and take a flight. before you know it you'll be in the world and not still stuck in the car/train!

Disnamic Duo
02-26-2008, 01:48 PM
I can't really help you out. We live in Atlanta, and we always drive. It's an easy 7 hrs.

But the title of your post reminded me of that hillarious John Candy/Steve Martin movie. Whichever way you choose to go, I hope you have a much better trip than they did!

#1donaldfan
02-26-2008, 01:57 PM
Like it's mentioned already......it would take forever to ride a train there!!!! Once it was up to speed it would have to stop and pickup some new passengers.......do you have an approx time it would take by train?? It would be OK, if you had a lot of time and didn't care to stop a lot and see the country......???:mickey:

chick20679
02-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Granted, our train rides were a bit longer than yours would be (we started off in Boston) and our train trips were a few years ago (10+)... we were downright miserable both times. It's a VERY long trip by train, and I find it practically impossible to sleep. Which leaves you tired before you even start your vacation.
We much prefer flying. That's my :twocents:

diz_girl
02-28-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm considering taking the Auto Train myself. It's non-stop from Lorton, VA to Sanford, FL. If you don't have young children, you could sit in coach, take the smallest car that you own and get to FL by 9am.

We have an infant and would probably want a Family Bedroom, so it would cost an extra $800. That's probably what will keep us from taking it. $800 is 3-4 nights at the WL or 2 nights at the GF. So we'll probably just drive.

wendy*darling
02-28-2008, 12:02 PM
My DH loves trains!
So, one year we did the Auto Train. It was OK. But it is 20 hours in the train each way.
We got the family bedroom (2 adults and 2 boys ages 6 & 9). That included a private room for us to sleep and our meals on the train. The cost was slightly more than if we flew... and it added 2-3 days to our trip. I am not a fan of the train. ;)

For the auto train, you drive to Virginia- not too bad. They board the vehicles, then the passengers and you leave around 4pm or so. That's one whole day gone.
You arrive in Sanford at about 9am, wait for the cars to get off the train and then drive to WDW (I believe it wasn't more than an hour, but it was 12 years ago so I am not 100% sure).

I agree it is better than driving straight through. We did that twice from Chicago. Too many hours in the car- and the ride home is just endless!!

My time is money- and I prefer flying any day over driving or the train.

tink03
03-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Thanks to everyone I have made up my mind and decided to fly!!:thumbsup:
The train sounds like it could be neat but not with two young boys and the wait would drive me nuts--I like to arrive early to the parks and enjoy my vaca to the fullest!! See ya'll in Sept!!