PDA

View Full Version : Boardwalk

HairyBear
02-25-2008, 11:33 PM
I have always wanted to stay at the boardwalk it looks like a neat place and the pool looks like it is FUN.I have only stayed a t the Contemporary tower but I am also thinking of the Polynesian. Which is the better resort?

TammiMcMan
02-25-2008, 11:57 PM
I don't think either one is necessarily better than the other, they just offer very different things. The Boardwalk is an excellent location, within a 10 minute walk to both Epcot and MGM. It's a vibrant, active area with nightclubs, shops and a wide assortment of restaurants all steps from the hotel. The Poly has that relaxing, resort feel, a beautiful beach and amazing castle views. Maybe you'll want to pick based on which parks you might visit more often.

HairyBear
02-26-2008, 12:12 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of the Resort itself. Like at the Contemporary the monorail runs through, MK is right out your window you can walk 5 minutes to MK. The grounds really aren't themed very much the pool is nice but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of a theme. There is a huge game room in Contemporary. I don't think Grand Floridian seems to be for me, I like the look of the lobby but having to doge the service carts when walking between buildings seemed like crossing the street in DC. Just trying to get ideas for a future visit and Boardwalk and Polynesian are on my short list......

TammiMcMan
02-26-2008, 12:39 AM
The Boardwalks theme is definitely different than the MK resorts. It's all about the area around the Boardwalk and is reminiscint of the Eastern Shores in the 20's and 30's. As I mentioned, they have many choices for restaurants, art studios, shops, night clubs, surrey bike rentals, boardwalk games and sometimes street shows (depending on when you're there). If you have a water view, you'll see the lights, hear the music, see the street shows, see parts of the World Showcase through the trees and maybe even Illuminations, depending on your view and room location.

The Poly is more like a Bali or Hawaiian resort. The main building houses some shops, restaurants, monorail and registration. Rooms are located in different buildings around the resort. The view of the MK is not as amazing as the CR, but you can still see the castle above the tree line. They have the volcano pool, which is pretty fun and of course, a very nice beach to relax on. It's much quieter than the Boardwalk.

If you look at the top of this page, you'll see a link for resorts. This will take you to some more detailed information about each resort, along with maps of the grounds and photos. That may help you get a feel for the theme and what each one has to offer.

auntfrannie
02-26-2008, 06:58 AM
The Polynesian was my favorite resort until I stayed at the Boardwalk last year. Now it's a tie! The Polynesian has the monorail to the MK plus just a short walk to the monorail to Epcot. The Boardwalk is within walking distance to Epcot & the Studios...if you have park hopper passes you can walk through Epcot to take the monorail to the Ticket Center then catch the MK monorail or boat at the Polynesian.

You really can't go wrong with either one!

HairyBear
02-26-2008, 09:49 PM
How is the pool at the Boardwalk? I have seen a picture of it it looks like a roller coaster with a water slide coming out of a clowns mouth....

mook3y
02-26-2008, 10:30 PM
The waterslide is great! It is a lot of fun and you get going pretty fast.

We stayed at BWV last year and here is what we liked and didn't

Positives:
night life
pool
kingsize bed!

Negatives:
No food court
Getting breakfast at the bakery took a half hour. Poor lady in front of me only wanted a cup of coffee
Refills for refillable mugs are a major pain here (part of the no food court issue).

We liked it but would likely try Beach Club as our next Epcot resort.

Can't wait to try POLY!

playdead88
02-27-2008, 06:13 AM
we loved the boardwalk - it was more than just a themed hotel because you had the boardwalk just outside your door with restaurants and entertainment and the boardwalk bakery is fabulous - it was a 5 min walk to epcot and either a short boat ride or a 15 min walk to DHS - and the pool was great! :mickey:

Maleficent's Dad
02-27-2008, 09:24 AM
You list three very nice resorts - the CR, Poly, and BW. To be honest, you can't go wrong in any of them! :thumbsup:

The BW is our favorite - we spend a lot of time in EPCOT. Regardless of what park we hit in the morning, we often find ourselves in EPCOT's WS for dinner - and because of this, you can't beat the location of the BW (or BC/YC, for that matter! ;)).

BW's pool is very nice with the slide, but note that there is no zero entry (a major plus for the Poly, especially if you have kids). Transportation at the BW is convenient to MGM and EPCOT; the BW always shares buses to the MK and AK with the Swan/Dolphin (and at times, BC/YC - but not always).

Poly has, IMO, the best transportation at WDW. I don't like the resort as much, but you can't beat the transportation there - next to the TTC so direct monorails to both MK and EPCOT is a plus!

CR puts you at the MK's doorstep - but that would be my least favorite of the three.

Dining at the BW is tops at WDW (again, IMO). You not only have the four restaurants along the BW, you have the BC/YC, Swan/Dolphin just a walk away. You also have two parks that are very convenient - HS and EPCOT - for dining as well.

Good luck with your decision - any of the three you're considering would be a fine choice. :mickey:

TammiMcMan
02-27-2008, 10:14 AM
Regardless of what park we hit in the morning, we often find ourselves in EPCOT's WS for dinner - and because of this, you can't beat the location of the BW (or BC/YC, for that matter! ;)).I have to admit, this is one of my favorite reasons for staying at the YC. We usually purchase length of stay park hoppers, so even on those days we're just relaxing at the resort, we can easily hop into the World Showcase for a Fish n Chips lunch or just to grab pastry from the bakery in France :thumbsup:.

LilHooligan74
02-28-2008, 11:10 PM
We stayed at the Boardwalk Villas and INN last year. I loved the Boardwalk. My girls loved the pool. DW was not so thrilled. On our next trip we are staying at the Polynesian. Never stayed there so we are excited. We chose the poly because each of our girls have a distinct favorite, i.e. one epcot one mk. We like the proximity to the ttc. Good Luck

Septbride2002
02-29-2008, 05:57 PM
How is the pool at the Boardwalk? I have seen a picture of it it looks like a roller coaster with a water slide coming out of a clowns mouth....

the slide is awesome! It is FAST - I mean really FAST for a resort pool. Gushing water, lots of turns - very fun!

~Amanda

mouse-logic
02-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Boardwalk is good for all the reasons stated above. I love the main lobby and main floor decor (gotta thing for nautical wood floors).

Location is great, pool is pretty good. But if the pool is a significant attraction for you, then you might consider BC/YC. Best pool in WDW and it has a zero entry, lazy river, pirate slide, giant vortex, etc. Location is same proximity to Epcot and the Studios.

I know, I know...you didn't ask about the BC/YC. :D

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
02-29-2008, 10:17 PM

It is great....unless you or anyone you are traveling with has a fear of scary clowns! :bolt::hide2: ;)

All joking aside, I liked BWV when I stayed there in December. You can't beat being able to walk to two resorts.
I was not crazy about the buses having to stop at the other resorts but, that probably won't stop us from staying there again in the future.

Have a great trip!