PDA

View Full Version : Which moderate resort would you recommend?

Love of Disney
02-25-2008, 10:02 PM
We are planning a one week trip to Disney World in July. We have stayed off site many, many, many times and most recently we stayed at the All Star Sports Resort. This time we wanted to try the moderate resorts.

I was looking at the CSR, but our travel agent is now saying that we should stay at one of the Port Orleans Resorts. Which one would you recommend? I am travelling with my husband, my mother, my 10 year old nephew and my 23 month old daughter.

Oh ya, if you stay at the POR, can you take a boat to Downtown Disney?

Thanks for your help!!
:mickey:

CAS
02-25-2008, 11:39 PM
I've stayed at both POR and CBR and I recommend CBR. The choice you'll find is purely based on taste. The ammenities are mosty equivalent and the food is similar, however CBR is much more to my liking as it's a tropical paradise getaway. I'll take that any day over New Orleans style theming. :thumbsup:

Yes you can take the boat to DD however it won't do much good if you plan on using it for Pleasure Island; I believe it stops in the early evening. The bus is faster.;)

RAIDER
02-26-2008, 04:14 AM
CBR for me ..Its relaxing has the most private pools and theres loads to do ... :thumbsup:

buzz2001
02-26-2008, 05:35 AM
Definitely CSR! Both are nice resorts but CSR does not share transportation with any other resort, has the best pool of the mods and great food options.

sainter
02-26-2008, 06:59 AM
Don't know if this would influence your decision, but the CBR main pool was under rehab -- might want to see when that is to be done.

jedimick08
02-26-2008, 07:56 AM
CBR main pool is under rehab until September of 08. We are still going to stay there in May however.

Kairi_7378
02-26-2008, 09:14 AM
I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the moderates. I have stayed at the PO resorts and have had good friends stay at CBR and CSR and given rave reviews. I think you should look at the Intercot photos and decide which theme apeals to you and your family the most. Did your travel agent give a reason for staying at one of the PO resorts?

That being said, there are a lot of perks to the PO resorts. One of which is that you basically get two resorts for the price of one. It is a half mile walk along the river to get from one resort to the other. Another perk is the boat ride to and from DTD, which runs from 11 AM until 11 PM. We really liked taking the boat at night because DTD looks great with all of the lights on. Another perk is the central location of the resorts- you are essentially equidistant from all of the parks (AK is a little longer.) The resorts do share busses (mostly to get to the parks) but even during spring break season I found the busses to be managable. The parks do have seperate busses that go to each resort individually when you leave.

The landscaping at POR is gorgeous, and has won awards in FL. With its theming, the resort is serene and family friendly. The food court underwent a renovation about a year ago and the selections were good there. It was a relaxing place to start the day. The theming at POFQ is in some ways more urban- you feel like you're in a little city with all of the street lights and courtyards. POFQ is small and compact. It is impossible to be far away from anything at that resort. The fod court is a little rowdy in the morning. It's the only place to get beignets! Some people will tell you that POR is too spread out but I didn't think so. It would help to request a close building if you are concerned about that. (Your fellow Intercot-ees can help you with room selections once you pick a resort!)

caryrae
02-26-2008, 10:42 AM
First things first :welcome::rocks:

CSR sounds like a great place to stay. If you do a search for it you will find alot of threads and alot of people have said it feels more like a Deluxe than a moderate.

c&d
02-26-2008, 11:14 AM
My first choice for a moderate would be Coronado Springs followed closely by POR.

We stayed at CSR and I fell in love with it. It's a huge resort but I loved the theming of it. I also loved Pepper Market, some of the best food choices. The main pool site is very big and when we were down, very rarely crowded. DS really enjoyed it. It also has a spa and health club which none of the other mods have. Since it is a convention hotel the buses were never crowded.

The only drawback, and I never had a problem with it, was the walking. It can take a while to get from point A to B.

The first resort we ever spent any amount of time at was POR and we really liked it. We stayed in the Alligator Bayou section when DS was younger and he really liked it. The main pool was really nice. The one drawback is that it shares its bus with POFQ. However, we found if we went to breakfast and then headed out to the bus stop from there it was never a problem catching a bus. The boat ride to DTD was nice and the carriage rides were also nice.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the mods.

GrmGrninGost
02-26-2008, 11:34 AM
Out of the moderates, I prefer POR. I prefer the atmosphere and beauty to be found there. However, I love the other moderates also and would not hesitate to stay at any of them. I think it's just a matter of personal choice in theming. :mickey:

Tink2002
02-26-2008, 11:40 AM
CSR!!!

BEST food court you will find at the moderates, SOOOO many options. Also a great pool! We love the theming, it's very relaxing. I also wouldn't let the option of the boat at POR sway you since CSR doesn't share busses and has great transportation, we never waited long at all for a bus either of the times that we stayed there.

#1donaldfan
02-26-2008, 12:35 PM
I have to say that POR Riverside is the best Mod ANYWHERE !!! Yes, you can get a boat to DtD, and it's a very nice ride. You can rent personal water craft, ride a horse drawn carriage, ride bikes, walk along very beautiful paths...etc......there are 5 quiet pools and one big signature pool with a hot tub and bar. The busses are very prompt and the food court is awesome. Boatwrights has the best breakfast of ANY Disney eatery. It's sorta our home away from home !!!!! :mickey:

laguna
02-26-2008, 09:08 PM
Port Orleans Riverside rocks! The boat to Downtown Disney is the best!

Love of Disney
02-27-2008, 09:10 PM
:rocks:

A huge thank you to everyone for your help!! This was my first time on this site and I have to say it is exciting to see how dedicated everyone is to helping people out! THANKS!!

Do all of the MOD resorts have fridges?

Hey, does anyone know how much the stroller rentals are at the parks?

Thanks again...have a great night! :mickey:

sainter
02-28-2008, 12:47 PM
Yes, the mods all have free fridges in the rooms. I have no idea how much a stroller rental is. Someone will be along shortly who does....

caryrae
02-28-2008, 12:58 PM
This is a little info overkill but here ya go.

Stroller Rentals

For your convenience, strollers are available for rent. Quantities are limited and subject to availability. The stroller rental fee is $10.00 per day* for a single-passenger stroller and $18.00 per day for a double-passenger stroller**.

For Guests who require a stroller rental for multiple days, we offer a Length of Stay rental ticket where you make a one-time payment transaction for as many days of rental that you will need. Single-passenger strollers are available for $8.00* per day and double-passenger strollers** for $16.00 per day. Upon visiting a Theme Park, simply show your receipt at the stroller rental location and you will be expedited through the queue with little or no wait time.

Magic Kingdom® Park:
Rentals are available at the Stroller Shop just inside the main entrance to the Park. In case you misplace your stroller, stroller replacements (with rental receipt) are available in Frontierland® at the Frontier Trading Post, in Fantasyland® at Tinker Bell's Treasures and in Tomorrowland® at Tomorrowland Arcade. Stroller replacements are on a limited, first-come/first-served basis.

Epcot®:
Rentals are available on the east side of the Entrance Plaza and at the International Gateway. In case you misplace your stroller, stroller replacements (with rental receipt) are available in the Germany Pavilion at Glas und Porzellan. Stroller replacements are on a limited, first-come/first-served basis.

Disney's Hollywood Studios™:
Rentals are available at Oscar's Super Service just inside the Main Entrance. In case you misplace your stroller, stroller replacements (with rental receipt) are available at Tatooine Traders. Stroller replacements are on a limited, first-come/first-served basis.

Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park:
Rentals are available in limited quantities at Garden Gate Gifts at the Park entrance. In case you misplace your stroller, stroller replacements (with rental receipt) are available at Mombasa Marketplace. Stroller replacements are on a limited, first-come/first-served basis.

Disney's Typhoon Lagoon Water Park:
Strollers are welcome at Disney's Typhoon Lagoon; however they are not available for rent.

Disney's Blizzard Beach Water Park:
Strollers are welcome at Disney's Blizzard Beach; however they are not available for rent.

Downtown Disney® area:
Rentals are available at Downtown Disney® Marketplace Guest Relations (located between Team Mickey and Arribas Brothers).

* A $250 credit card imprint is required for deposit when renting a stroller or wheelchair at Downtown Disney®.
** Double-passenger strollers are not available at Downtown Disney®.

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-28-2008, 01:18 PM
CSR!

I've stayed there 3 times......it will be 4 when we go again in Oct. My DH and I love it! It is beautiful, the Pepper Market has great food and the bus transportation is fast.

We've also stayed at CBR....we'd stay off property before staying there again.

FenwayGirl
02-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Port Orleans French Quarters.

Has the feel of a small resort.

Aurora's Spindle
02-28-2008, 05:24 PM
I haven't stayed at either one, but for one of my upcoming trips, I've been bouncing back and forth between CBR and CSR. I love the theming of both of them, and all the reviews I've heard sound great.

Love of Disney
03-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Well, we booked our trip at the CSR for July 2008!! Can't wait...thanks for all of the help!!

caryrae
03-06-2008, 02:53 PM
Well, we booked our trip at the CSR for July 2008!! Can't wait...thanks for all of the help!!

Good for you. Have a super fun trip.:)

Martino
03-06-2008, 06:38 PM
As you can see from my past vacations below, POFQ is the one for us! We stayed there Christmas 2006 and had a great time, so much so that we are going back for 2 weeks this August.

This, however is quite difficult to advise on as all the mods appeal to different people depending on your tastes.

We took a trip to all the mods last time we were there and didn't like them too much, and people we met on our plane journey were not that complimentary on CBR, they said it was far too big, and they had difficulty getting buses to the parks with a lot of walking??

All I know is that POFQ is landscaped beautifully and is not too big. It is only a short walk to the lobby, food court, shop and bus stops. You can see if you look further at the Resorts section of Intercot that CBR and CSR have just over 4000 rooms, however Port Orleans is split with Riverside about 3000 and French Quarter about 1000, not exact but something like that.

The Bus Service to and from POFQ is great, as the buses pick up at POFQ first and then goes on to the Riverside if not full. On return journeys from the parks you either have your own bus back, or if sharing with reverside, FQ guests do get dropped off first.

When you get back to the resort after a long day at the parks, it great just to walk a few 100 yards to your room.

POFQ along with POR also has the added benefit of boat transportation to and from Downtown Disney, making a pleasant change to bus rides and the kids love it!

Overall, I just felt that the peaceful surroundings and landscaping at POFQ were much better than the other Mods, which seemed awfully hectic and busy.

Hope this helps a little!:D

Taja
03-07-2008, 12:04 PM
:rocks:

A huge thank you to everyone for your help!! This was my first time on this site and I have to say it is exciting to see how dedicated everyone is to helping people out! THANKS!!

Do all of the MOD resorts have fridges?

Hey, does anyone know how much the stroller rentals are at the parks?

Thanks again...have a great night! :mickey:

Someone already answered your question about renting strollers.

However, I strongly recommend taking your own stroller. If it's bulky, purchase an inexpensive umbrella stroller.

Those little ones can be very heavy when they fall asleep before you reach your transportation at the end of the day. Whether you're driving or using WDW transportation, there's usually a pretty good hike from the park exit to the parking lot tram or resort transportation.

buzz2001
03-08-2008, 08:19 AM

:mickey:Have a great time!!

bruin1344
03-09-2008, 09:33 AM
I've stayed at both port orleans and coronado springs. Both are great resorts. I would chose Coronado Springs because of its location to the parks.