PDA

View Full Version : Grand Floridian, which room?

Jim1962
02-25-2008, 08:16 PM
I have booked a Garden View room for the Grand Floridian. It is the first time I have stayed there. Is there any special area, floor or room you would recommend I request? For example, when I stay at the AKL I like to face into the circle on the second floor.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Jim

SBETigg
02-25-2008, 09:29 PM
Jim, it's a beautiful resort and you probably won't go wrong with any of the rooms. It depends on what you want. To overlook the courtyard pool (very nice)? To be closer to the lobby? I prefer not to be too specific in making requests and I'm usually pleasantly surprised.

TammiMcMan
02-25-2008, 09:54 PM
The GF has a couple of outer lodges located around the resort. As Sherri pointed out, the building you choose may depend on whether you want to be near something specific.

Sago Cay ~ closest to the marina, one whole side of this building has garden views which actually overlook the marina, pathway on the side of the building leads right to the bus stop, closest to Gasparilla's Grill (24 hour counter service)

Conch Key ~ closest to the MK water shuttle, beautiful unobstructed garden views, furthest from the main building (about a 7 minute leisurely walk to the monorail)

Boca Chica ~ garden rooms overlook the 24 hour pool, very convenient to everything

Big Pine Key ~ some garden rooms do overlook a neighboring building, closest to both pools, the beach and main building

A couple of hints for the GF, some of the corner rooms have additional square footage and offer a different view from the smaller 2nd balcony. A few garden rooms do offer an obstructed view of the castle. Specifically, you can ask for Boca Chica, high floor, overlooking Narcoossee's restaurant. You'll be able to see the castle through the trees. Rooms on the top floor of the lodges are referred to as dormer rooms. They're a little bit smaller, but have high cathederal ceilings. The balconies are also smaller, but they are private and have solid wood railings.

DreamFinder2
02-25-2008, 10:42 PM
I know this is covered ad-nauseum on Intercot, but what's the current process for room requests now? I think the days of faxing requests are gone, right? Do I just call Disney Travel Co. or the hotel directly?

I should mention that I'll be checking in at GF on 3/17, so I'm curious about the room request procedure, too.

TammiMcMan
02-25-2008, 11:00 PM
If you booked through Disney, you can call CRO and have your request added directly to your reservation. If you booked through a travel agent, they'll need to make the request for you.

As a follow up, you can fax the resort directly 3 or 4 days prior to your arrival.

For the GF, they do not typically pre-assign rooms. Usually they assign them from the pool of available inventory when you check-in. I go over my requests with them again when we arrive. If they don't have something available already, they can see who's due to check-out and they might have a room that fits your requests. That's if you don't mind waiting for that room.

DreamFinder2
02-25-2008, 11:44 PM
So, Tammi...you don't normally call or fax requests ahead of time?

TammiMcMan
02-25-2008, 11:48 PM
It's been years since I faxed anything. Back then, hardly anyone faxed, so it wasn't an issue for the room assignors. A few years ago, the secret got out and they were bombarded with them. I was told that they just didn't have time anymore to review each one, so now I just put it on my original reservation and then ask again at check-in.

In regards to calling a resort, those calls now go through a call center. You really have to make sure that you are talking to the resort and not someone in a cubicle somewhere.

DreamFinder2
02-26-2008, 12:02 AM
Thanks...I think I'll just call Disney Travel Co. and make sure our ressie is noted appropriately, then mess w/ it when we check in.

One advantage - maybe - is that we'll be checking in REALLY early...like 6am. So that might give us a better chance at having something good available.

Thanks for your help.

TammiMcMan
02-26-2008, 12:17 AM
One advantage - maybe - is that we'll be checking in REALLY early...like 6am. So that might give us a better chance at having something good available.Checking in early is definitely a big advantage. I'm not sure how early they can check people in for that upcoming day, I seem to remember 6:30am or 7am being the earliest. It's something to do with the new reservations being loaded into the front desk computers.

Either way though, you should have your pick of rooms. It will just be up to you, as to how long you want to wait to get into a room. For example, they might be able to check you into a room as early as 11am or noon time, but it may not be exactly what you want. Arriving at 6am, I'm not sure if you'll want to wait until 3 or 4pm for the perfect room. That's a long day, unless you have park plans or will be busy with a convention.