PDA

View Full Version : August

Janet89
02-25-2008, 02:23 PM
Looks like we will HAVE to travel in August due to DS's snow makeup days. I was hoping for May, but no deal.

I know temps will be mid to high 90s. We plan on being out early, afternoon breaks, then back out for evening shows and fireworks. I also know we need to drink LOTS. What else can you tell me about surviving FL Aug heat!

ibrowse17
02-25-2008, 02:51 PM
It will be hot all day, just be prepared for that. The mornings and evenings will not feel much different than the middle of the day because of the humidity. Rain will cool things off for a short while, but the humidity afterwards will make it worse than before. You are correct about drinking plenty of fluids, and make sure you have plenty of sun block. I have lived in the heat of this part of the country all my life, and August and much of September can bring the worst of it. Still, you will be in Disney!!

Strmchsr
02-25-2008, 03:41 PM
:ditto: and be sure to wear light colored, loose-fitting clothes. What makes the humidity so bad is that it literally prevents your body from cooling itself. Your body cools as the sweat it produces evaporates off of your skin. When the dew point is as high as it gets during the summer your body loses the ability to cool itself because evaporation no longer happens. So, you need light colored clothing to reflect (rather than absorb) heat and loose clothing because you don't want your clothes sticking to you from moisture.

Goofeygal
02-25-2008, 03:59 PM
We have always found cutting through the gift shops helps, it gets you out of the heat and into airconditioning. Mist fans really are a great thing as well.

ltam16
02-25-2008, 04:35 PM
I brought misters at BJ's that worked great--they were small and you filled them with water and pumped them. They spray is a fine mist that really cooled you off. And they were cheaper than buying the spray fans at Disney--I got a 3 pack for $15. But check your dollar store for the fan misters I have seen them there. My kids liked being able to cool themselves off.

We went early to parks and spent noontime till dinner at pool. After dark the parks were pleasant! Still warm, but not overbearing.

ltam16
02-25-2008, 04:37 PM
Just to add.. we went through tons of water. Prior to going we ordered cases of water from Staples and had them shipped to room. If you have the Staples membership card its free delivery.

Disneymom4ever
02-25-2008, 04:37 PM
We travelled to Disney World for the first time in Aug last year, it was incredibly hot! It really is hard to prepare for that type of heat. We always started the day with a few frozen water bottles in a plastic bag that we kept in our backpack. They still melted quickly, but that cold water really helped. We found a/c often, it was a nice break. And my DS had a water spray fan we picked up at Wal-Mart, that was REALLY nice in the heat. (We fought over that one!) Just take it easy, and take breaks if you can. And remember, everyone's in the same boat with the heat, so at least you're all in it together! I've heard the later in Aug. you go, the less people. We were there the last week, and the crowds weren't bad at all. That was definitely a plus. Would I do it again? If it was my only option to go see the mouse, absolutely!! :mickey:

kakn7294
02-25-2008, 04:59 PM
Try to hit attractions that are inside during the hottest parts of the day. Watch your caffeine and sugar intakes as these both dehydrate you more quickly - last year I drank a huge coffee before hitting MK and felt poorly half-way through the day. I got something to drink and we watched the Tiki show and I felt better after a while. We also frequently dip into the gift shops to cool off.

02-25-2008, 11:36 PM
Like Strmchsr suggested, wear light colored clothing but I must add, also wear a white or light colored hat. I have dark hair and I absolutely have to wear a hat. Several years ago I got a mild case of sunstroke while visiting in August. I got very queasy and almost passed out. Ever since I wear a hat and it really does help.

c&d
02-26-2008, 11:22 AM
What we found worked for us was to take advantage of EMH's. We would hang at our resort most of the day and then head over to the parks around 4:00pm.

We also took full advantage of the wark parks.

MarkC
02-26-2008, 12:56 PM
Parks early in the morning and parks in the evening. See some indoor shows and rides as well. In the afternoon, go swimming or take a nap. If you can, stay on property because you will have easier access to take a swimming break. If you have kids, the nicer the pool the easier it will be. You can also add the water park option, because that can pass several hours in a hurry. Just make sure to bring plenty of sunscreen. We're going in August and know it will be hot, but we know we'll have a blast because we're mentally and physically prepared for it. Lots of water!!!! Mark

#1donaldfan
02-26-2008, 01:06 PM
We love August......it's very hot, but we like it that way !!!! The crowds are manageable. You will drink a lot of water...bring drink packets to flavor it !!! I wish we could go this August, we actually have a dicount for Aug, but just can't go......we have to wait till December with no discount????? Oh well, whatcha' going to do.:mickey::mickey:

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-26-2008, 01:21 PM
We've been in late August twice, and once you get the hang of it, it really isn't all that bad.

We've learned to drink more than you ever thought you would need...take a break by walking through stores wherever possible, see the air-conditioned shows, and just be prepared to be hot. It doesn't matter what time of day or night, it is always hot! A hat and sunglasses made a big difference too!

The biggest "trick" was not to try and push it too much. The first night of our honeymoon, I actually sat down on the ground and cried while waiting for the bus, as I was so worn out and sick from the heat of the day.