PDA

View Full Version : Reserving for AS Sports... I must be nuts

MickeyChick
02-25-2008, 12:45 PM
So we just got back from the World a month ago and I've been talking it over with my sweetie and we'd really like to go back, just us, without the kids. Being a blended family, it's not so hard to make sure there's one weekend where the kids are with the exes.

How nuts am I?

We picked All-Star Sports as our resort. Anyone have tips or comments about it? We're probably going to be out all day and using the room only to sleep. I read that it went through refurb last year so I'm not worried about the age.

The plan is August 14-18. So it will be hot and muggy for sure, right? Bugs?

disneymom15
02-25-2008, 01:56 PM
The only time I notice a bug problem is in May. We've stayed at all the Value resorts. Never had a problem with Sports. I will say that POP is my favorite. Biggest problem with Sports is that they share busses with Music and Movies, so sometimes it'll take longer to get to the parks.

Strmchsr
02-25-2008, 01:58 PM
I enjoy Sports. We've stayed there twice. I have no real recommendations for it. All of the buildings are nice and none are too far away. It's a little more compact. Pick your favorite sport and enjoy it! While Sports shares buses with Music (and sometimes movies) it's first on the pick-up/drop off line so that makes it nice.

Yes, August will be very hot and muggy, so be sure you take lots of water to the park with you. And tons of sunscreen (nothing like a bad burn to ruin a vacation). Lovebugs may be out, but they tend to occur more in September.

Disney Doll
02-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Well... AS Sports isn't what I think of when I think romantic getaway without the kids, but if you're just using it as a room to sleep in it'll work. The baseball rooms look to be the furthest from all the action so you might request a room there if you prefer a quiet spot. Yep, August will be hot. I don't know about the bugs because those August temps have always been enough to keep us away that time of year. Can you push it back a month or two and go in the fall?

WriteDisney
02-25-2008, 02:46 PM
I stayed at All Star Sports for my HS senior trip. It was a great resort, not too spread out, food court was good. All around nice :)

Jasper
02-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Since you say that you really only plan on using the room to sleep and will be out all day then any of the Value resorts make sense. As for bugs, I don't know what kind of spraying program Disney has but the only time there are really any bugs is during the love bug mating season. As for hot and muggy, yes you will have that in Florida in August. But that shouldn't impact your choice of resorts because it will be like that no matter where you stay.

Johnno52
02-25-2008, 03:02 PM
Congratulations! you have found the real "Disney Secret" visiting with no kids :-) We have been going there for many years with just the 2 of us! Doing and seeing what we want and whenever! We have stayed at all 3 AS and like the Music the most. But seeing that you have re-booked before you unpacked the suitcases I can see you are hooked! :-) It wouldn't matter where you stayed as long as you are in WDW. I do know that there has been a refurbishment at the AS and many rooms at Music have been done. I like the less noisy cafeteria at Mus & Sp but better CS menu at Movies.

MickeyChick
02-25-2008, 06:03 PM
What is a lovebug? It sounds cute but I really really hate bugs so I'm a little concerned.

This is going to be an anniversary trip and I think our "romance" will come from the parks and dining, not really the resort.

(Plus it will be nice to be out in the World without the kids!!!)