PDA

View Full Version : Should I wait or should I book now?

dolphinmickey9170
02-25-2008, 08:33 AM
For all those of you who watch the DING! fares....I have been watching and watching and April has been released, but I need May. Should I just book now or would you wait for the DING! When, approximately, do you think the May fares will be released? I see April is $30 per flight per person lower than May fares. That's $180 in my pocket. But I don't want to chance missing out and not getting a flight. Any thoughts? We are 79 days out.

BigRedDad
02-25-2008, 08:48 AM
I can only speak from my experience. We are traveling over local Spring Breaks. The cheapest fares available for us for our dates was the 1st few hours the flights were released. The prices went up the next day and have never been lower. It cost me $200 more by waiting a few days. Most flights on our travel dates are fully booked except for the 6AM flight out of MCO.

It is a catch-22 situation. You may be able to get a better DING rate outside of the "holiday" travel windows. For me, it was a mistake waiting. One other piece of advice is that you can always get credit and pay for the cheaper tickets with the credit. You can also sell the remaining credit on eBay for about 80-90% of the value.

After my experience and lesson learned, I would buy them when they are available and deal with the cancellations. To do this, you need to purchase separate one-way tickets to make it more efficient.

scootch713
02-25-2008, 10:05 AM
If you book now and a ding fare comes out, southwest does give you the credit to use in the upcoming year if you call them while the ding is going on.

dolphinmickey9170
02-25-2008, 02:04 PM
If you book now and a ding fare comes out, southwest does give you the credit to use in the upcoming year if you call them while the ding is going on.

That is exactly what they told me today. I booked, not wanting to see the price go up. I will be watching the DING!!!

scootch713
02-26-2008, 05:56 PM
That is exactly what they told me today. I booked, not wanting to see the price go up. I will be watching the DING!!!

It is really smart of them as I booked last year hoping for a ding. It didnt' come... but they had my business anyhow. I still ended up cheaper than the other airlines were offering.

dolphinmickey9170
02-26-2008, 11:56 PM
It is really smart of them as I booked last year hoping for a ding. It didnt' come... but they had my business anyhow. I still ended up cheaper than the other airlines were offering.

You are so right. I looked at every other airline and "travel" site I could find. Nothing even came close. I just booked it and now I don't have to worry.

dolphinmickey9170
03-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Okay, so I did book, and guess what? Today, DING!! My flight dropped from 89 to 53. WOOHOO!!!!!! Love it. Now I have a credit toward my Aug flights. Yeah!

adoptionislove
03-01-2008, 10:08 PM
Yea for you!!!!

We booked our flight from Dallas to MCO in January and it is $2,400.00 for a family of 4. OUCH!!!!

They really get ya for spring break, huh??!!!

kakn7294
03-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Okay, so I did book, and guess what? Today, DING!! My flight dropped from 89 to 53. WOOHOO!!!!!! Love it. Now I have a credit toward my Aug flights. Yeah!Hey Kristen - you're so welcome! I didn't even get an honorable mention for calling you about that DING! fare! Thanks girlfriend! :D Seriously, I'm glad it worked out for you - it's a nice savings! Maybe I'll get one for August and we won't have to drive. :thumbsup:

dolphinmickey9170
03-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Kathy, I am such an idiot. I am truly grateful that you let me know about the DING! fares. Since I was at work, I had no idea. I am honestly thankful for you and your words of wisdom. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me. I'm sorry.

LONG LIVE KATHY!!

kakn7294
03-02-2008, 10:16 PM
Of course I'll forgive you - it's even black 'n gold! I'm so touched! BTW, Phil read it and said to tell you hello and GO YANKEES!

dolphinmickey9170
03-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Of course I'll forgive you - it's even black 'n gold! I'm so touched! BTW, Phil read it and said to tell you hello and GO YANKEES!

Thank you for your forgiveness. You are awesome!! And tell Phil, Go Yankees, go right out the door. :D buh-bye.

I love the DING fairs. This is completely awesome. I love saving money, this gives me more to spend in August!! WOOHOO!!