PDA

View Full Version : Pirate Ship?

Disneypixie513
02-24-2008, 08:28 PM
This has probably already been asked many times. But is the Flying Dutchman at CC the one they actually used in the movie? We ordered the cruise planning dvd and my family and I were watching it this afternoon and my Dad asked if it was the real deal. My mom and I had no idea, but we thought maybe it was? :confused:

goofiecrazy
02-24-2008, 09:33 PM
Thats the ship they used in the movie that sits there in the water.I dont remember where I heard that but I know it was a Disney show that I heard it from.

Ed
02-25-2008, 05:08 AM
Yep, it's the real deal. :pirate:

POTC was filmed largely in the Bahamas area, and initial plans were to junk the "Flying Dutchman", but DCL intervened and had it towed to Castaway Cay instead.

The starboard (right) side of the ship is highly detailed; you might remember the gun ports having ghostly faces and such. But the port (left) side is largely free of such detailing, and you can plainly see the framework and support structure on that side of the ship. The ship was positioned at CC so that the starboard side faces the beach, making for better photos from the shore. Unfortunately, that means that from the area where the DCL ships dock, you see the 'plain' side. But, hey... half a loaf is better than nothing!

Disneypixie513
02-25-2008, 09:16 AM
Cool!
Thanks very much. :)

DisneyDudet
02-25-2008, 12:42 PM
It is the real deal! While on CC, you can even have your picture made w/ Capt. Jack with the Flying Dutchman in the background!

I would imagine it is *one* of the ships used in the movie, not just the only one!

wendy*darling
02-25-2008, 06:40 PM
How close can you get to it?

I think I read you cannot go in/on it, but can you get right up next to it? Touch it?
Or is it "fenced off" in any way?

ElenitaB
02-25-2008, 08:21 PM
You can't walk up and touch it (and these days I do mean walk as it's surrounded by a great deal of sand). There are bouys (sp?) in the water, demarcating an area around the Flying Dutchman. From what I've seen, the closest you can get is riding the jetskis on the EcoAdventures tour.

DisneyDudet
02-25-2008, 11:19 PM
You can't walk up and touch it (and these days I do mean walk as it's surrounded by a great deal of sand). There are bouys (sp?) in the water, demarcating an area around the Flying Dutchman. From what I've seen, the closest you can get is riding the jetskis on the EcoAdventures tour.

You are totally right! I see pictures, and every time I see th FD, I think that they must be storing their extra sand there!

The closest you can get is with the jet skis, and so, dealing with the sand, you'll only really get to see the back side.