PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Fingers-Is this true?

DisneyDudet
02-23-2008, 09:07 AM
Ok, I don't normally come to the Dining forum when not going to WDW for hopes it doesn't make me super sad, but I just had to stop by for this.

In my never ending research about the DCL, someone stated (not on Intercot) that WDW has stopped selling the chicken fingers on the adult menu, and replaced them with the nuggets like on the child's menu.

Is this true? The chicken fingers were such a great deal for us, as we'd normally split it!!

I hope someone who has been recently can tell me. Also, sorry if this has already been hashed out. Merge if needed.

Johnno52
02-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Adult chicken fingers were still sizzling earlier this month. Probably the best deal in WDW!

DisneyDudet
02-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Well good deal then! We loved them and would hate for them to be gone. My dad and I would share them and it made life so much easier!

Lets just hope they stay!

LudwigVonDrake
02-23-2008, 10:56 AM
I have a friend who would be DEVASTATED if they stopped selling them :)

PirateLover
02-23-2008, 11:29 AM
That sounds like such an odd thing to do.... I really hope it isn't true, I love chicken fingers, especially from Columbia Harbor House.

ElenitaB
02-23-2008, 02:27 PM
Just got back yesterday and I can happily tell you that there are still chicken fingers on the adults' menu at many CS locations.

And while we're on the subject of chicken fingers, here's a trivia question that was asked at the Castaway Club meet on the Wonder: How many chicken fingers are cooked on the Wonder every day?

MinnieMommie
02-23-2008, 02:42 PM
That sounds like such an odd thing to do.... I really hope it isn't true, I love chicken fingers, especially from Columbia Harbor House.

Not to worry - DH had them at CHH in January. Still on the menu. :mickey:

DisneyDudet
02-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Just got back yesterday and I can happily tell you that there are still chicken fingers on the adults' menu at many CS locations.

And while we're on the subject of chicken fingers, here's a trivia question that was asked at the Castaway Club meet on the Wonder: How many chicken fingers are cooked on the Wonder every day?

I don't know, but I hear your trip was quite eventful! I'm glad you made it home, and I'm sure I'll be hearing about the great time you had while on your custom made land/sea trip!

On other boards ( :blush: ) they are saying they are gone from Columbia Harbor House. Some people say they have them here and there. Some people say they are still getting them, even if they aren't on the menu :confused:

I sure hope this is a short lapse in judgment if this were really true.

SgtTigger
02-23-2008, 09:39 PM

A whole Lot???????????

Just wait till I go..... They might need more...:D

:cop: :tigger:

ElenitaB
02-23-2008, 11:03 PM
So you really want to know?

There are two answers to the question:

All of them!
Around 1,400 each day (quoting that figure from memory... I'll have to find my notes)

DisneyDudet
02-24-2008, 06:03 PM
So you really want to know?

There are two answers to the question:

All of them!
Around 1,400 each day (quoting that figure from memory... I'll have to find my notes)

How can you cook all of them if chickens don't really have fingers?

Stan
02-24-2008, 07:45 PM
Now I should go back to the other thread I already answered because you reminded me of one of my favoritest things to do in the World...

I like to sit and eat chicken fingers (with lots of Ken's honey mustard) late in the evening and watch the pedestrian traffic going to & from TOT & RRC. :) Usually I've already ridden both since neither is a good idea on a full tummy. :ack:

They darn well better not take away those chicken fingers! :soapbox:

PirateLover
02-25-2008, 01:42 AM
I like to sit and eat chicken fingers (with lots of Ken's honey mustard)
Isn't Ken's the best!!! YUM! And it really stinks that this rumor is about CHH because the chicken strips definitely seem like a different recipe there and they are better than the typical WDW chicken strip.

WLD4
02-25-2008, 08:58 AM
We were very sad to find the chicken fingers gone from the Electric Umbrella when we were there on Saturday. They were replaced by the chicken nuggets -- same price, much less chicken. Not enough to satisfy teenagers! Disney, you disappoint us.

DDuck66
02-25-2008, 09:23 AM

Unfortunatly I was there last Saturday and the Fish and Chicken Platter had "the nuggets" with it. he picture on the wall shows the traditional fingers, but what came was two piece of fish and 4 nuggets. I was greatly dissappointed..Hopefully they still have them at the other CS places.

DisneyDudet
02-25-2008, 11:17 AM
So we have true confirmation. Lets just hope this is only happening at certain places, and for only a short time.

This is VERY disappointing.

garymacd
02-25-2008, 11:33 AM
How can you cook all of them if chickens don't really have fingers?

I didn't know chickens had fingers, either!

Taja
02-25-2008, 05:18 PM
Sounds like more cost-cutting at WDW. The nuggets are cheaper--they aren't large pieces of chicken meat. And several smaller nuggets really are worse for you than one or two larger strips--more batter and oil.

If they keep messing with the menus, I'm seriously going to avoid going to WDW in the future! I'm already limited with what I can eat, the the lack of chicken strips is a serious blow to my menu! *LOL*

DisneyDudet
02-26-2008, 11:30 AM
Its a blow to ours too! We save so much money eating those strips! They were so good too!

Its just really sad.

I don't want to eat nuggets! We're adults!

Figment!
02-26-2008, 11:57 AM
It may not be the case at all locations, but there have been confirmed reports that at least some of the meal changes have been from three chicken strips to six smaller sized chicken pieces.

The change was reportedly driven by the third party supplier, not Walt Disney World Food & Beverage.

DisneyDudet
02-26-2008, 01:52 PM
So, these "nuggets" are really the strips, only smaller?

I have heard from some that they are just the same things as in the kids meal.

Figment!
02-26-2008, 04:48 PM
So, these "nuggets" are really the strips, only smaller?The new chicken strips menu item are in size as I previously posted.

If they are actually the same exact type of chicken, breading, etc. is not confirmable at this point, but they appear to at least be similar.

If they taste the same is totally subjective.

DisneyDudet
02-26-2008, 06:13 PM
The new chicken strips menu item are in size as I previously posted.

If they are actually the same exact type of chicken, breading, etc. is not confirmable at this point, but they appear to at least be similar.

If they taste the same is totally subjective.

Good. If they are the nuggets, I'll save my money and get a kids meal for that.

WLD4
02-27-2008, 09:50 AM
The chicken nuggets taste the same as the chicken strips, but there is no way that one nugget is half the size of one strip. Ours were quite a bit smaller.

PhilHarHarMagic
03-03-2008, 01:45 PM
My DD will be devastated :cry:.

She was mentioning last night that she wanted them when we get there on the 14th. Hope the replacement is similar.

It's funny how food impacts you like that...

McGoofy
03-03-2008, 02:06 PM
This is not good news. I can't believe that Disney would get rid of such a popular item as the chicken strips. The strips taste way better than the nuggets. They seem more like real meat versus the nuggets that just taste like processed meat. Also, the breading on strips is much tastier than nuggets.

I was just at Columbia Harbour House in February. Our family of 2 adults and one child shared two orders of chicken strips. I had no idea that might be our last order of chicken strips!

JPL
03-03-2008, 02:08 PM
All reports I have heard has the amount of nuggets given equal to about 2 Chicken strips so in essence you are paying the same and getting less for your money. I have heard the taste is still the same or very similar. The reports I have say the change is permanent. It seems like someone said hey we can save $0.25 in chicken per order when you add that up over time they increase their profit margin quite a bit.

Jared
03-03-2008, 02:36 PM
I didn't understand this thread at first, but after Morgan explained to changes to me, I'm very disappointed. I always liked the chicken strips at Columbia Harbour House. Another poster said it well: The strips seem like real chicken. The nuggets seem fake.

JPL
03-03-2008, 03:03 PM
Actually the description I have received from several different people is the nuggets are actually just like the chicken strips only cut into 3 smaller pieces. They are not the over process mystery chicken parts nuggets that you are talking about. The upsetting part to me is you are getting less of a value for your dollar yet again at WDW.

Jared
03-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Well, that makes me feel a little better, I guess. But are you surprised anymore, Jeff? We spent an hour in October talking about the horrible entity known as the Disney Dining Plan while eating lunch at Columbia Harbour House. This is just another example.

I know you're still mourning those ribs at Flame Tree Barbeque.

McGoofy
03-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Actually the description I have received from several different people is the nuggets are actually just like the chicken strips only cut into 3 smaller pieces. They are not the over process mystery chicken parts nuggets that you are talking about. The upsetting part to me is you are getting less of a value for your dollar yet again at WDW.

That makes me feel slightly better too. I had visions of the chicken nuggets that are in the kids meals at Liberty Inn in America at the World Showcase in Epcot. I've had those before, and I know they are small with the mystery meat. However, I wish they wouldn't mess with something that is already a hit. Leave good enough alone!!

JPL
03-03-2008, 05:58 PM
Jared
Actually not surprised at all I'm waiting for the smaller burgers for a healthier me campaign next that Disney feels they need wage :mad:

Jared
03-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Jared
Actually not surprised at all I'm waiting for the smaller burgers for a healthier me campaign next that Disney feels they need wage :mad:
Let's not even go there, Jeff. The menus at all the restaurant are already tiny because of the Disney Dining Plan. Next, Disney will eliminate everything that actually tastes good.

EllieMae
03-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Wait, the ribs are gone at flame tree? booo! I was looking forward to eating there next December :(

It's sad to hear about the chicken fingers too, I guess its just the fish basket from now on at CHH.

JPL
03-03-2008, 08:01 PM
No the ribs aren't gone just the full rack option and the half chicken/half rack of ribs platter.

Jared
03-03-2008, 08:25 PM
Wait, the ribs are gone at flame tree? booo! I was looking forward to eating there next December :(

It's sad to hear about the chicken fingers too, I guess its just the fish basket from now on at CHH.
Sorry to scare you! I momentarily forgot someone other than Jeff would read my post! I was referring to a previous conversation Jeff and I had in October.

EllieMae
03-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Ok thanks guys, good to know. :mickey:

DisneyDudet
03-05-2008, 09:48 AM
Looks like Jeff and Jared hijacked my thread! But that's not bad. You guys know more about the dining stuff that I do. I know CS!

Well, I hope that they do taste the same. It does make me feel horrible that we won't be getting the same type of great deal like before. Who knows.

I hate the Dining Plan.

ElenitaB
03-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Jared
Sorry, Morgan, I don't mean to hijack the thread again but I do have to chime in on Disney's supposed "healthier me" campaign, as Jeff calls it. Why is it that we can not order something healthy like a side salad on the DDP at either a CS or TS location, but you can order a calorie/fat/sugar laden dessert item (though I will grant them that at SOME locations you can get fruit for dessert)? Certainly a few leaves of lettuce are as cost-effective as a pre-made dessert (oh, I forgot that you would need staff on hand to prepare a salad). I'll get off my soapbox now...

JPL
03-05-2008, 10:39 AM
Guess my sarcasm didn't come through on that one. The Healthier Me Campaign only shows it's ugly head when it can save Disney Money and raise their profit margin. So smaller burger less money spent on meat they can keep the price the same and make more money. But the 1000 calorie cookie you can buy for $5 is perfectly healthy and fine ;)

PinKy
03-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Wow.... I would be so upset if they did that!! I wonder which restaurants this has affected?? (please don't say Cosmic Rays.....)

JPL
03-06-2008, 08:49 AM
The change has taken place propert wide in any CS location that sold chicken strips.

McGoofy
03-06-2008, 01:19 PM
The change has taken place propert wide in any CS location that sold chicken strips.

That stinks! That was one of the few ways our family of 3 saved a little money sometimes. We would order 2 orders of chicken strips, and our 2 adults and one child would all be happy. Now we'll probably have to order 3 orders.

What's next? Toy Story Pizza Planet (another place where 2 CS orders will feed our family of 3)...will those pizzas turn into Bagel Bites??:confused:

magicofdisney
03-06-2008, 07:51 PM
I was at Cosmic Rays yesterday. As already stated, the "chicken nuggets" are in and the strips are out (they're similar in texture and appearance to the original strips; I didn't taste one so I can't confirm any other similarities).

I ordered from the sandwich bay and no french fries were available. I really did enjoy the chips they offered as an alternative (kind of a homemade chip sprinkled with Parmesan). Not sure if chips only was the option at all the bays.

Additionally, cheese sauce was back at the Fixins Bar.

Jared
03-06-2008, 08:51 PM
That's great news! Is the cheese sauce back at Pecos Bill Cafe, too? People were very upset when it was taken away last year. Maybe this is Disney's way of appeasing us now that we're angry about the chicken strips dilemma.

DisneyDudet
03-06-2008, 09:03 PM
That's great news! Is the cheese sauce back at Pecos Bill Cafe, too? People were very upset when it was taken away last year. Maybe this is Disney's way of appeasing us now that we're angry about the chicken strips dilemma.

Indeed!

All I know is that I forked up the $0.50 for a HUGE bowl of cheese at Cosmic Ray's in October... it was the best $0.50 I've ever spent!

Yay for the return of the cheese! Boo for the super way over-priced chicken nugget/strip/finger/thumbs.

Mickey91
03-06-2008, 10:45 PM
We were at Cosmic Rays in Dec and the Chicken Strips were turned into MUCH smaller (same Tasting) nuggets. Maybe Disney is unhappy at having 10 of their parks being in the top 13 Theme Parks worldwide??:confused:

JPL
03-07-2008, 08:40 AM
What's really sad is the company line on anything that saves them money. They say the change was made because of guest demands :confused:

Yes there are millions of people who visit WDW and pay a small fortune each year for that visit, who say you know what will make that place better less value for my hard earned dollar :rolleyes:

J.C.&ALI'SMOM
03-07-2008, 10:12 AM
We were at Cosmic Rays in Dec and the Chicken Strips were turned into MUCH smaller (same Tasting) nuggets. Maybe Disney is unhappy at having 10 of their parks being in the top 13 Theme Parks worldwide??:confused:

Whoa! So changing the chicken strips may affect the Disney Company's standing as the most visited theme parks?? I think not.

JPL
03-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Chicken strips alone might not do it but the constant pay more get less trend that is going on just might.

Jared
03-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Whoa! So changing the chicken strips may affect the Disney Company's standing as the most visited theme parks?? I think not.
That's the attitude that's causing all these cutbacks. Obviously, nobody will stop visiting the theme parks because of different chicken strips. Disney knows attendance may suffer if it started closing major attractions, so it's instead eliminating lots of little perks and benefits. Those little things will eventually add up to big things.

I'm still going to eat at Columbia Harbour House and Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe. I may even order the new chicken nuggets. But the problem is that too many of us, including myself, have accepted small-scale slashes. When do we start protesting with our wallets? I suppose it's not chicken strips, but in a year, we may just see another minor change that will result in another thread like this one, and people justifying it because it's relatively insignificant.

I've done it, too. But enough is enough eventually, right?

JPL
03-07-2008, 11:23 AM
What Disney need is some good ole competition. Imagine how many families would spend a day at a place like Sea World if their prices were more reasonable compared to Disney. Where Disney has been lucky is that their competition follows suit and raises prices and makes their cutbacks along with Disney. Disney raises prices Sea World and Universal feel they can too with the Philosophy they want to be viewed as a second rate park by consumers. The same is true for little cutbacks like the Chicken strips they make the same little cutbacks when Disney does.

Johnno52
03-07-2008, 11:41 AM
As mentioned by many posters which includes myself that CF dinners were big enough to split amongst families. Disney knows this and whether OOP or DDP it loses money. So give less portion so everyone has to purchase one for themselves. Like the new DDP give less and keep the price the same. With this new size they have initiated 100% savings on the product and a possible boost of doubling the sales. Someone in management had a Magical Moment and are giving themselves high 5's:mad:!

DizneyRox
03-07-2008, 12:31 PM
What's really sad is the company line on anything that saves them money. They say the change was made because of guest demands :confused:
I've NEVER seen anyone say anything about the Chicken Strips, nothing, not good or bad. I'd like to mee tht eperson who took the time out of their day to complain that the Chicken Strips were too big.

Guest Demands my ....

More breading and less meat means more profit, plain and simple. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. Don't think your guests don't see it for what it is Disney.

J.C.&ALI'SMOM
03-07-2008, 03:24 PM
That's the attitude that's causing all these cutbacks. Obviously, nobody will stop visiting the theme parks because of different chicken strips. Disney knows attendance may suffer if it started closing major attractions, so it's instead eliminating lots of little perks and benefits. Those little things will eventually add up to big things.

I'm still going to eat at Columbia Harbour House and Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe. I may even order the new chicken nuggets. But the problem is that too many of us, including myself, have accepted small-scale slashes. When do we start protesting with our wallets? I suppose it's not chicken strips, but in a year, we may just see another minor change that will result in another thread like this one, and people justifying it because it's relatively insignificant.

I've done it, too. But enough is enough eventually, right?

Believe me, we have very recently protested resort rates with our wallets, choosing to stay at the Dolphin instead of our usual Poly or Contemporary because WDW has priced us out of our favorite resorts. We have also chosen to purchase fewer days on our park tickets.

My initial post was in regards to the poster who suggested the change from strips to nuggets in itself would affect the company's status. That is just a ridiculous assumption and that is why I posted.

I have been to WDW enough times to notice less product for more money. So if you want to get upset about something and take a stand it probably would work for something that costs $$$ rather than a serving of chicken strips.

like2workout
03-07-2008, 03:29 PM
i know this isn't the healthiest meal out there, but who can resist those chicken finger baskets with fries and a coke!!! i'm ready for one now!

Joy2theworld
03-09-2008, 11:44 AM
I called my mom yesterday with this "bad" news. The chicken fingers were one of our favorite TS meals. She used to love the Monte Cristo that was served at Columbia House and then they got rid of that. Now chicken fingers :( When we were on our Disney Cruise, we had dinner with a couple from the Orlando area and her husband was obsessed with these chicken fingers...they serve the same kind of the cruiseline. He's going to be very sad. :(

DisneyDudet
03-11-2008, 11:52 PM
I do hope they have the "original" chicken on the cruise line, as this will be our next Disney vacation.

This is just sad to me. We liked saving money... I guess Disney does too.

Mickey 101
03-12-2008, 12:33 AM

That's great news as its a staple of our family's when we're at WDW. I know you could still supposedly request it, but on one trip over the holidays, they wouldn't honor the request due to high volume of guests. Nothing throws your day off like no cheese sauce!!